2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 110 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just saw this tweet on twitter wishing Sam good luck tomorrow night at the all star game Jordan brand classic in Las Vegas .. check out the shorts she’s wearing... deep down inside she was UCONN all along but it just didn’t happen. View attachment 42441

Going to catch hell from Muffet. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I really don't think Hailey Van Lith reads this message board any longer. Accidents happen but it hurts when it happens to someone we aree fond of.

that apology should come from the man who made the accusation on twitter

Reaction Score
Wonder if its the style of play that has taller recruits not wanting in? UCONN doesn't feature Bigs nor does it feature one particular player compared to other programs. UCONN tends to ask more versatilty from their post.
As a long time sales manager, at times it seems like UConn sells against itself by focusing so much on how "different" their style is. I see a motion offense that gives every player a chance to do well. Ask Dolson, Lobo, Stewie, etc. if they had fun winning and if playing at UConn helped their careers. Focus on the positive, not misperceived issues.

Reaction Score
Maybe we can find a compromise like have a 6'7" player take over the high post. I could live with that.
Agreed. Work a high post into UConn normal style. With Lou's quick, accurate passing imagine what we could have done with a truly big high post.

Reaction Score
Keil Moore, late to the party, chimes in on Anna Makurat:

Must have been sleeping since the article is from February. Nice article though. I liked reading about her team.

Makurat, who attends Sopocka Akademia Tenisowa — billed as a “sports school” in Sopot, Poland, was averaging 8.3 points, 3.2 assists and 3.2 rebounds through her first 14 games for Arka Gydnia.

Among her teammates are WNBA players Emma Cannon and Rebecca Allen.

I like young players who are able to just stay on the court with pros, even at the Euro level. Those who can compete at 18 at that level are rare. The play is way more physical and they have to deal with stronger and faster players with a decade or more of experience than anything seen in HS in the US. I remember trying to promote Nurse's experience with the NT of Canada. Posters who were praising players for their performance in the U17 games were actually ridiculing the international players that Nurse was facing and claimed that it was no feat to start for Canada. When I asked why Achonwa didn't start the subject got changed fast. LOL These folks saw Nurse as an end-of-bencher who would wear out more trunks than shoes.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Must have been sleeping since the article is from February. Nice article though. I liked reading about her team.

I like young players who are able to just stay on the court with pros, even at the Euro level. Those who can compete at 18 at that level are rare. The play is way more physical and they have to deal with stronger and faster players with a decade or more of experience than anything seen in HS in the US. I remember trying to promote Nurse's experience with the NT of Canada. Posters who were praising players for their performance in the U17 games were actually ridiculing the international players that Nurse was facing and claimed that it was no feat to start for Canada. When I asked why Achonwa didn't start the subject got changed fast. LOL These folks saw Nurse as an end-of-bencher who would wear out more trunks than shoes.

If she decides to play at UConn, I believe Makurat will shoot better from 3 in college than she has in her pro league. The same was true of Nurse when comparing her stats in college with those in international play.

Reaction Score
If she decides to play at UConn, I believe Makurat will shoot better from 3 in college than she has in her pro league. The same was true of Nurse when comparing her stats in college with those in international play.

Agree. And I never worry about athletic players learning to shoot 3's, especially when they will only take 3-5 a game. That means they only need to be able to spot up and frankly that isn't much harder than a ft. If someone can become an 80% ft shooter they can become a 40% spot up 3 pt shooter.
What I think I'm going to like about her is that she won't go hide the first time she gets knocked on her ass without a whistle. I am of Polish ancestry and the women I have known are stubborn and never back down.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Jaelyn Bates is one of my favorite players. She’s fundamentally sound, plays hard, and is as exciting as heck. She has UConn interest, but not an offer yet.
I spent a lot of time yesterday watching her highlights on YouTube. Great fun.

Last edited:

MTC

Reaction Score
I suspect UConn will be watching her next weekend in the big PBR event in Texas.
I suspect UConn will be watching all the big players next weekend at the PBR event. They are priority one at this time. I'm sure the coaching staff send out messages to players of interest all the time and eval the responses. Selecting target recruits is an ongoing process and is "data dependent". We all wish Geno wasn't so frugal in giving out scholarships. but it is what it is.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Totally invalid points:

RECRUIT MORE PLAYERS From EUROPE - Until Nika committed this past week, there was only ever ONE previous European player at UCONN. That would have been Svetlana Abrosimova and she was terrific.
Actually as has been noted a couple times on here, UCONN had another European. Tihana Abrlic. From.....Croatia. So not even our first from there.

Reaction Score
Actually as has been noted a couple times on here, UCONN had another European. Tihana Abrlic. From.....Croatia. So not even our first from there.
What year was that and did she ever start?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What year was that and did she ever start?
She was here for 2 years, 97-98 and 98-99. She was a JC transfer. I think she started a few games here and there I think . Her first year not a lot because Rita Williams was a Sr (and Duran, Sales ) were there. In 98-99 she probably started a couple games (not sure), but Bird, Walters and even Ralph were hurt parts of the year. I think Glenney and Abrlic played some PG.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a record of performance
She was here for 2 years, 97-98 and 98-99. She was a JC transfer. I think she started a few games here and there I think . Her first year not a lot because Rita Williams was a Sr (and Duran, Sales ) were there. In 98-99 she probably started a couple games (not sure), but Bird, Walters and even Ralph were hurt parts of the year. I think Glenney and Abrlic played some PG.
Thanks for the info. Looks like a level of participation that it would be understandable if folks didn't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom