2020-21 Transfer thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

2020-21 Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with you but am still scratching my head, at least from a basketball perspective. She was a longtime starter and was probably a guaranteed starter again in 2021-22, whether Ali Patberg came back for a mind-blowing 7th year or not. Penn, Ali Patberg and Grace Berger would've been a very tough backcourt. And if Ali P. moves on, Penn and Berger could've worked together, perhaps with Cardano-Hilary.

Dani Patterson also opted out for a COVID precaution at the end of the year. I wonder if she'll come back or move onto her third school. Stay tuned.

Patberg just announced she's coming back. IU is a Top 10 team next year.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
giphy.gif
I’m just waiting for Rickea Jackson to enter the portal

Your hopes may not be realized. We don't think she's leaving.

Anyways, good job Neighbors. I thought he was going to go down below .500 next year, but it seems he's still a great recruiter and Arkansas will still be better than Mississippi State next year.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Patberg just announced she's coming back. IU is a Top 10 team next year.

I wonder if Cardano-Hilary gets an extra year out of this (she was a grad transfer last year). If so, the entire starting team is back. With or without Penn (now, without), they could use some depth and quickness on that team.

Reaction Score
Your hopes may not be realized. We don't think she's leaving.

Anyways, good job Neighbors. I thought he was going to go down below .500 next year, but it seems he's still a great recruiter and Arkansas will still be better than Mississippi State next year.
I actually like the roster he have now. I wonder how Jersey will fare year one.

Reaction Score
Yes - 11.6 PPG and 42 FG%. A streaky three point shooter, very good off the bounce. She’s a very good defender, but Arkansas doesn’t play a lot of defense.
Arkansas plays defense; it's just like Neighbors says, though - they don't really recruit players on the basis of their defensive skill set. Sasha is a good defender, and she will help. Daniels and Davis are also plus defenders. Dungee is a terrific offensive player (with apologies to those here who want to hate on her), but she is not a great defender (and in Neighbors' system on Arkansas' roster, she was often forced to guard the other team's 4). Slocum is ok on defense, and Ramirez gives full effort but is a little bit limited in terms of athleticism on the defensive end. The Hog posts since Neighbors have been at Arkansas have all been 6'1" in shoes. Not a recipe for defense.

Don't get me wrong -- no Neighbors team is ever going to set records for defense, but if they get the right players and some more size, they don't have to be defensive weak sisters all the time.

Reaction Score
Very good pick up for them.
How awful does that speak of LSUs program that she didn't want to come here before college and now..... Considering their family literally grew up LSU fans and attending games.

The one good Louisiana prospect we finally got to come here then bolts out the door in less than 2 years (Young). Well done Nikki

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
LSU and Mississippi State is about to be 11th and 12th in the SEC next year. Auburn at 13th and Vanderbilt at 14th.

Reaction Score
How awful does that speak of LSUs program that she didn't want to come here before college and now..... Considering their family literally grew up LSU fans and attending games.

The one good Louisiana prospect we finally got to come here then bolts out the door in less than 2 years (Young). Well done Nikki
Spot on. I see the push for Nikki firing is heating up more and more from fans( although most has been pushing for years). Seems more people jumping on that boat. Deservingly so

Reaction Score
Spot on. I see the push for Nikki firing is heating up more and more from fans( although most has been pushing for years). Seems more people jumping on that boat. Deservingly so

The comment section cracked me up. The biggest question is who would you hire? I don't want to hire a retread coach who has maxed out despite being decent.

Reaction Score
Heartbreaking for a once proud program.
They haven't been the same since Melanie Balcomb left. Balcomb had some struggles before leaving but they were never near this level of bad. She had some very good teams at Vandy.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
They haven't been the same since Melanie Balcomb left. Balcomb had some struggles before leaving but they were never near this level of bad. She had some very good teams at Vandy.
Yup. If you go back to the 3rd to last season of Melanie; that is, disregard her last two years, I would bet a large coffee that VU's overall win-loss record going back 30 years before would place them in the top 25, and maybe the top 20 in all of WCBB. Jim Foster, Melanie Balcomb, and Foster's predecessor all had strong records. I can't remember if it was Foster or Balcomb that went to the FF in 1996(?) with Sheri Sam and company. Probably Foster--the years blur together.

Reaction Score
Yup. If you go back to the 3rd to last season of Melanie; that is, disregard her last two years, I would bet a large coffee that VU's overall win-loss record going back 30 years before would place them in the top 25, and maybe the top 20 in all of WCBB. Jim Foster, Melanie Balcomb, and Foster's predecessor all had strong records. I can't remember if it was Foster or Balcomb that went to the FF in 1996(?) with Sheri Sam and company. Probably Foster--the years blur together.
Speaking of, what is Balcomb doing now? I see she isn't at Purdue anymore.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Dunno. But out of the pool of all women's basketball coaches, she was one of the better ones. So unless she wants to retire, it's in the college game's best interest that she be somewhere.

Reaction Score

Dunno. But out of the pool of all women's basketball coaches, she was one of the better ones. So unless she wants to retire, it's in the college game's best interest that she be somewhere.

I recall Purdue announcing the hire of a new Associate Coach who will be taking over the program in 2022. Have no insight, but could this be possibly why Balcomb is no longer there?

Reaction Score
Don’t know if this has already been posted, but 2 Ivy League grad transfers to UVA. Eleanor Parker, 6’4” forward and Ivy defensive player of the year (12.9 ppg/8.4 rpg) and McKenna Dale - 6’ guard (13.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg). Parker from Penn, Dale from Brown. First good news for UVA in a couple of years!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Arkansas plays defense; it's just like Neighbors says, though - they don't really recruit players on the basis of their defensive skill set. Sasha is a good defender, and she will help. Daniels and Davis are also plus defenders. Dungee is a terrific offensive player (with apologies to those here who want to hate on her), but she is not a great defender (and in Neighbors' system on Arkansas' roster, she was often forced to guard the other team's 4). Slocum is ok on defense, and Ramirez gives full effort but is a little bit limited in terms of athleticism on the defensive end. The Hog posts since Neighbors have been at Arkansas have all been 6'1" in shoes. Not a recipe for defense.

Don't get me wrong -- no Neighbors team is ever going to set records for defense, but if they get the right players and some more size, they don't have to be defensive weak sisters all the time.

Well, getting Jersey Wolfenbarger (all 6'4" or 6'5" of her) will help, regardless of whatever position(less) she plays next year!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don’t know if this has already been posted, but 2 Ivy League grad transfers to UVA. Eleanor Parker, 6’4” forward and Ivy defensive player of the year (12.9 ppg/8.4 rpg) and McKenna Dale - 6’ guard (13.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg). Parker from Penn, Dale from Brown. First good news for UVA in a couple of years!
I was openly hoping Parker gave UCONN consideration. Her rugged defense would help and her WNBA aspirations would have been improved significantly.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I was openly hoping Parker gave UCONN consideration. Her rugged defense would help and her WNBA aspirations would have been improved significantly.
Given the roster for next year, I just don't see UConn taking any transfers-do you?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There sure are a lot of Players in the Portal but let's talk impact players in the portal for a second I have as my top 5:
1) Diamond Johnson
2) Anastasia Hayes
3) Madison Hayes
4) Emily Engstler
5) Koi Love

Beyond than I don't see any players drastically changing the fortunes of a top 25 program either by departing or landing in a new spot. I'm thinking this is much to do about nothing (mostly).
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member