2020-21 Transfer thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

2020-21 Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There sure are a lot of Players in the Portal but let's talk impact players in the portal for a second I have as my top 5:
1) Raven Johnson
2) Anastasia Hayes
3) Madison Hayes
4) Emily Engstler
5) Koi Love

Beyond than I don't see any players drastically changing the fortunes of a top 25 program either by departing or landing in a new spot. I'm thinking this is much to do about nothing (mostly).
Thoughts?
Raven Johnson? SC's recruit?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Howard Megdal has said word is Zipporah Broughton is in the Transfer Portal out of Rutgers

Haven't seen it elsewhere, but he was accurate with the Diamond Johnson information.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
There sure are a lot of Players in the Portal but let's talk impact players in the portal for a second I have as my top 5:
1) Raven Johnson
2) Anastasia Hayes
3) Madison Hayes
4) Emily Engstler
5) Koi Love

Beyond than I don't see any players drastically changing the fortunes of a top 25 program either by departing or landing in a new spot. I'm thinking this is much to do about nothing (mostly).
Thoughts?

I'm guessing you mean Diamond Johnson of Rutgers (as opposed to Raven).

The two players I've seen the most of are Johnson and Engstler and they can certainly help many teams, particularly if Engstler -- becoming a senior -- can/wants to stay two years whereever she ends up.

Johnson was obviously not the go-to scorer for Rutgers this year, but she helped give that team a semblance of order on offense I have not seen in many seasons. Very calm and centered. One genereally thinks of a player like that looking "up" to perennial contenders, but she just strikes me as a natural ringleader for an upbeat offense like Carolyn Kieger's at Penn State. Is Johnson interested in making a team (much) better? (Plus, Penn State is relatvely close to Philly.)

For some teams that don't have the depth, the extra/free year might help them just as much as the transfers. Look at Georgia Tech, Indiana, Va. Tech and Marquette, among others. All those returning players were key to those team's NCAA runs this year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Given the roster for next year, I just don't see UConn taking any transfers-do you?
No I don't think UCONN is in the transfer market assuming the projected roster remains unchanged and that a dynamic player DOESN'T suddenly hit the portal. Eg. Rickea Jackson , Evina going pro, a UCONN player does the thing we are not supposed to speculate on them doing.

Reaction Score

Doesn't really surprise me. Salary has an edge to her (I mean that in a good way), and I think she'd do better in a program where she was a big fish rather than a supporting player -- which is I think what her future was going to be at Tennessee. Hope she finds the right fit.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
No I don't think UCONN is in the transfer market assuming the projected roster remains unchanged and that a dynamic player DOESN'T suddenly hit the portal. Eg. Rickea Jackson , Evina going pro, a UCONN player does the thing we are not supposed to speculate on them doing.
Honestly, given some of the issues she had with both Vic and Dawn that caused her to not start or miss half a game due to team rules issues, I don't think she's UConn material. I also have not been overly impressed with her 2 years of stats, it's more the "promise" of what you think than any evidence of what she's done.

There is one player though, that does meet your criteria and who's program is notorious for having great players leave. I am a bit shocked (but pleasantly surprised) no players from Maryland have declared for the portal...Thanks for the reply. Stay positive for tomorrow!!!!

Reaction Score
Doesn't really surprise me. Salary has an edge to her (I mean that in a good way), and I think she'd do better in a program where she was a big fish rather than a supporting player -- which is I think what her future was going to be at Tennessee. Hope she finds the right fit.
Her brother past away in recent months. Probably going somewhere closer to home (Jonesboro AR), like AR, Mo St, UALR, or Memphis.
If McCoy doesnt taken an extra year, TN down to 13 so room for in-transfers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This is turning out to be a disaster.
I agree. @UConnCat made this observation earlier in this thread-these players are playing a game of musical cheers and I'm not sure there will be enough chairs when the music stops. I don't get this, UMBC has 8 players in the portal. UMBC -finished 2-6 last season! Are all UMBC 8 players going to get picked up for a Division 1 scholarship.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don’t know if this has already been posted, but 2 Ivy League grad transfers to UVA. Eleanor Parker, 6’4” forward and Ivy defensive player of the year (12.9 ppg/8.4 rpg) and McKenna Dale - 6’ guard (13.4 ppg, 5.6 rpg). Parker from Penn, Dale from Brown. First good news for UVA in a couple of years!
It helps having a great grad school in a universe where lots of graduates are looking to continue and have been given an extra year. I believe the Ivy league isn't offering fifth year scholarships, so their grads are all in the portal.

Reaction Score
I agree. @UConnCat made this observation earlier in this thread-these players are playing a game of musical cheers and I'm not sure there will be enough chairs when the music stops. I don't get this, UMBC has 8 players in the portal. UMBC -finished 2-6 last season! Are all UMBC 8 players going to get picked up for a Division 1 scholarship.
On the bright side, this may also mean that coaches can’t get away with treating their players like crap so much. Before kids were kinda stuck.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
1) Diamond Johnson
2) Anastasia Hayes
3) Madison Hayes
4) Emily Engstler
5) Koi Love

Thoughts?
I think a few top 25 teams have specific 'holes' in their lineups for next year, whether it be a good PG or a good 3 point shooter, or a solid defensive stopper or height/strength in the post.

So, even players that don't jump off the page as 'great' can and probably will have significant impact on top 25 rosters.

Reaction Score
I had predicted this one might happen, but Kennedi Myles reunites with Duffy. She originally committed to Duffy and Miami (OH).

Marquette got one player to stay for an extra year and now added 2 transfers this week.

Reaction Score
Depends if we were to lose any players off the current roster.
Everyone on this board constantly talks about how there's no playing time for all these great players. Then someone mentions that Evina could go pro and suddenly we have no players and need to hit the portal.
Unless Evina and 5 non-starters leave, I think we're good for next year.

I mean if Aliyah Boston or Nalyssa Smith is on the phone, we'll talk, but otw, we're fine.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I had predicted this one might happen, but Kennedi Myles reunites with Duffy. She originally committed to Duffy and Miami (OH).

Marquette got one player to stay for an extra year and now added 2 transfers this week.

DaBall: I distinctly remember you bringing that up, Kudos and tip of the hat. ?
Vowelguy: Good week for Coach Duffy. Keep "Grandma" (as LVK is called), pick up a long-range shooter (McLaughlin) and get a former recruit who has played a year at a P5 level.

Duffy also has a Top 60 recruit -- 6'2" forward Kendall Gillispie -- comng in, so she'll have a new wave of forwards when LVK finally does move on.

Have also heard that Duffy has joined the list of suitors for KK Arnold, the lightning-quick point guard out of Germantown, Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom