2020-21 Transfer thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020-21 Transfer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The transfer portal is exploding. I had talked with a friend about it possibly hitting 500. I'm now regretting saying this out loud (that damn Ball family "speak it into existence" concept).

I suspect it will be around 1,000 by the end of the tournament. The more I think about it the more convinced I am the portal isn't always about just coaching or wanting more playing time but more about how students view playing college basketball now.

An article in "ND Insider" caught my eye:
"A year ago, after not logging as many minutes or scoring as many points or playing as large of a role as he hoped, Notre Dame graduate student guard/captain Nik Djogo made a business decision.

A year after playing more minutes and scoring more points and playing more of a role than he ever did in his collegiate career, Djogo made a basketball decision."

The business decision for the grad student was to stay, finish his MBA (on ND's dime) and maybe get some playing time.
He did and now that he's graduated, Djogo is looking for a place to get even more PT (he would be a sub at ND).

You see decisions being made that have variations/options: Maya Dodson getting her Stanford degree, coming to ND to get some PT and a free year in a grad program; Sidney Cook looking to attend law school for a year on the team's dime that she plays for. Stella Clark, all 5'4" of her, was Northeastern's leading scorer this year at 14.1 ppg. She's graduating from Northeastern, so now she'll play her grad year at a school that can offer a year of grad studies and perhaps offer the chance to play at a higher level (Clark, for non-Jersey fans, is the third part of the Manasquan HS power trio of Faith Masonius, Stella Clark and Dara Mabrey).

As the ACC press release allowing immediate eligibility for first-time transfers, this cha-cha is being shifted into the student's lead in many intances.

Makes me wonder if many programs are staffed to handle the comings and goings of today's collegiate basketball world
Let the (off-court) games begin, indeed.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Would be very interested to see how that compares to last year.
I also don't know if @Plebe is up to reviving this thread from last year.
We probably need to define "impact transfer" before we really get into this.
Suggested criteria should be former top 1-150 players coming from top 25 teams. We should also be able to nominate players to the list such as IImar'I Thomas who is AAC POY.

Coco:
In most instances, I think a recruiting ranking will stay true enough to justify inclusion. However, what about the non-ranked (or lower-ranked) who have risen to the occasion to make impacts on their teams? For instance, the freshman transfer who has caught my eye today was Ali Brigham, the 6'4" center who declared "I'm outta here" after Jen R. was let go. She was GW's leading scorer at 11.9 ppg, was named to the Atlantic 10 All-Rookie team and pretty sure she wasn't ranked.

That said, I think there are going to zounds of players flooding the market this year with the free year of eligibilty and the open rosters (which can both be a reason for leaving and an allure for coming).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Baylor has a great law school program! And we’ve had great success with grad transfers! But I just don’t see Baylor getting any transfers if moon and didi stays! I see carrington leaving to go pro but if moon and didi stays our roster would be at 13 next season
Exactly the same scenario with Maryland. If everyone returns, 13 players. But the Terps could use Cook's size.

Reaction Score
Exactly the same scenario with Maryland. If everyone returns, 13 players. But the Terps could use Cook's size.
Wish Cooks all the best but not sure she would be a fit in Maryland’s up-tempo system. She didn’t do great in Mississippi State’s.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco:
In most instances, I think a recruiting ranking will stay true enough to justify inclusion. However, what about the non-ranked (or lower-ranked) who have risen to the occasion to make impacts on their teams? For instance, the freshman transfer who has caught my eye today was Ali Brigham, the 6'4" center who declared "I'm outta here" after Jen R. was let go. She was GW's leading scorer at 11.9 ppg and pretty sure she wasn't ranked.
That said, I think there are going to zounds of players flooding the market this year with the free year of eligibilty and the open rosters (which can both be a reason for leaving and an allure for coming).
My last sentence said "We should also be able to nominate players to the list such as IImar'I Thomas who is AAC POY." It sounds like you want to nominate Ali Brigham to the list of "possible" impact players.
Is ND interested in Ali?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The transfer portal is serving its purpose. Of course, the approval of so any waivers for this past season (mainly due to pandemic), as well as the blanket waiver which took effect in December, may be giving everyone the idea that immediate eligibility for 2021-22 transfers is a given; maybe it is and I have missed that policy.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Baylor's guard play shooting wise will be much better next year IMO with Kamaria and Carr. J. Oliver may be the odd one out. Andrews has steadily gotten better as the year went on and has actually shown a lot of promise as of late.

I don't see Didi returning, maybe she does for education purposes but not sure if she would comeback. I see Moon coming back of anyone, she isn't WNBA material, but she's a great college player, plus she plans to go into a graduate program at some point in the near future.
Agree with your thoughts. Moon never wanted to play WNBA. She's always stated that her goal was in the medical field.

I'm hearing that as of now, Moon is the only one returning. However, we all know that can change at any time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The transfer portal is serving its purpose. Of course, the approval of so any waivers for this past season (mainly due to pandemic), as well as the blanket waiver which took effect in December, may be giving everyone the idea that immediate eligibility for 2021-22 transfers is a given; maybe it is and I have missed that policy.
Those are some sensational points:
Q1: If there is blanket waivers is a transfer portal even necessary?
Q2. Has there been a formal announcement that this blanket waiver will last beyond this COVID season and does it cover all sports?
Short answers are no and no. A longer explanation is that we may be in a waiting period until the NCAA decides what it is going to do about the broader issues of NLI legislation. Most schools and students are proceeding as if immediate eligibility for first-time transfers will be a reality going forwards across all sports. Three days ago for example the ACC lifted the conference restrictions on transfer eligibility. I don't think the NCAA can effectively put this genie back in the bottle.

Reaction Score
An article in "ND Insider" caught my eye:
"A year ago, after not logging as many minutes or scoring as many points or playing as large of a role as he hoped, Notre Dame graduate student guard/captain Nik Djogo made a business decision.

A year after playing more minutes and scoring more points and playing more of a role than he ever did in his collegiate career, Djogo made a basketball decision."

The business decision for the grad student was to stay, finish his MBA (on ND's dime) and maybe get some playing time.
He did and now that he's graduated, Djogo is looking for a place to get even more PT (he would be a sub at ND).

You see decisions being made that have variations/options: Maya Dodson getting her Stanford degree, coming to ND to get some PT and a free year in a grad program; Sidney Cook looking to attend law school for a year on the team's dime that she plays for. Stella Clark, all 5'4" of her, was Northeastern's leading scorer this year at 14.1 ppg. She's graduating from Northeastern, so now she'll play her grad year at a school that can offer a year of grad studies and perhaps offer the chance to play at a higher level (Clark, for non-Jersey fans, is the third part of the Manasquan HS power trio of Faith Masonius, Stella Clark and Dara Mabrey).

As the ACC press release allowing immediate eligibility for first-time transfers, this cha-cha is being shifted into the student's lead in many intances.

Makes me wonder if many programs are staffed to handle the comings and goings of today's collegiate basketball world
Let the (off-court) games begin, indeed.
You made some excellent points and I believe there is truth to the fact some players are taking advantage of the education they work hard for on the court. More cynically, I believe more players are isolated from the larger university more than ever, take mostly online classes, so their connection to the program is even more than before.

As an undergraduate student at MSU in the dark ages, I routinely saw athletes from football, men's and women's basketball, and to some degree baseball around campus. I'm not saying they spent much time interacting with the other students but they had classes with various students, ate in the same cafeteria, and were seen around our small SEC campus and town sometimes not in uniform and just being "normal" students. I suspect today at MSU none of the members of those teams spend any time on campus not practicing, working out, or meeting with coaching or academic personnel. In a sense the program they take part in is more of their world than before.

I could be off base and it's just a theory but one I've tossed around. I do think students opting for more education and a higher degree is a good thing but also how the NCAA has allowed students the graduate transfer rule even if the degree is an option at that same university. There is no law school at MSU for Cooks but there have been plenty of graduate transfers who have zero intention of finishing a degree, let alone in a field that wasn't offered by their original university.

It makes keeping track of these student athletes more difficult for sure.

Reaction Score
I suspect it will be around 1,000 by the end of the tournament. The more I think about it the more convinced I am the portal isn't always about just coaching or wanting more playing time but more about how students view playing college basketball now.
As I said a few weeks ago, there are ~1000 seniors who now have an extra year of eligibility and can grad transfer and get a free year on an advanced degree.

Reaction Score

She honestly has potential and could be really good for someone

Mass exodus from State. Unsurprising, but seemingly confirmatory that players were not a fan of NMP.

If Nikki manages to hold onto both Carter and Jackson, I’ll be shocked. Those are really the ones to watch. My gut says they will either stay or leave together (not necessarily to same destinations; I just expect their decisions to stay or go will be the same).

Reaction Score

She honestly has potential and could be really good for someone

Miss St now down to
  • 7 underclassmen
  • Thompson (grad transfer this past year, not clear if she's coming back).
  • 3 signed players

Nonetheless, so far, they still return 4 of their top 5 scorers.

Reaction Score
Mass exodus from State. Unsurprising, but seemingly confirmatory that players were not a fan of NMP.

If Nikki manages to hold onto both Carter and Jackson, I’ll be shocked. Those are really the ones to watch. My gut says they will either stay or leave together (not necessarily to same destinations; I just expect their decisions to stay or go will be the same).
Jackson is dating a player on the men’s basketball team. Maybe that could be a factor

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Notre Dame portal entrants:

Amirah Abdur-Rahim, 6-3 forward, Marietta, GA
Alli Campbell, 6-0 guard, Altoona, PA
Alasia Hayes, 5-7 point guard, Murfreesboro, TN

Does this say anything about Niele Ivey?

Reaction Score
nVr6Gz0Z.gif

Reaction Score

No idea but other ACC programs have freshmen leaving. VT has 2 listed in the portal per Raoul's website.

Considering how Westbeld and Miles are progressing, I thought there was some potential with this group.

Reaction Score
No idea but other ACC programs have freshmen leaving. VT has 2 listed in the portal per Raoul's website.

Considering how Westbeld and Miles are progressing, I thought there was some potential with this group.
It’s hard signing a big class because most likely most of them will transfer. Baylor signed 5 in 2018 and now only 3 remain in smith,Egbo, and Bickle

Reaction Score
As a Pennsylvanian, would love to see Campbell choose a PA school. Pitt would be my first choice, but Penn State is on a better trajectory and I do like Kieger.

Reaction Score

Nah, just says that she wasn't the HC that recruited them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom