2019 Recruiting Thread | Page 48 | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting Thread

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Gavin Muir (6'3''/209lbs) first four games. Mike Z, DDC, Eddie Allen and Wholly have been following Gavin since spring on twitter. Maybe this is not fair to say, but he looks like a solid PWO candidate. Maybe I am underselling or overselling, difficult to say with CT QBs in my opinion.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Jackson Mitchell does not have a consolidated mid season tape yet. In watching some of the individual games, he is playing DE rather than LB or S this year for D and still playing some WR for O. I see this kid playing LB at the next level, not sure there is enough twitch for WR. At 6'2'', I suppose he could try HB/TE. His hands look good.
Jackson Mitchell on Hudl

Reaction Score

Matt Drayton is a 6-1 195lb WR/Safety from Raines High School in Jacksonville Florida. Other offers from South Alabama, Troy and the University of Miami.

Highlights

Reaction Score
Cleveland Heights High School in Ohio

Mac Stephens@MacStephens
It’s pretty awesome when you have colleges/universities such as Yale, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, UConn, Army, Toledo, West Virginia, Michigan State, Kent State, Pitt, and many others recruiting HEIGHTS FOOTBALL players in the last few weeks! #STUDENTATHLETES

Guessing they are looking @ DE Anthony Johnson for one. They also have a 2022 OL/DL that is already 6-3 340lbs (Maurice Hamilton)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Some NJ Recruiting News:

2018 midseason #NJFootball awards: Who's best at halfway point?

Juwon Jackson getting recognition as NJ best RB to date this season.

Kinney: Juwon Jackson, Piscataway, RB
Analysis: Jackson is averaging just over 10 carries a game because of Piscataway’s wide victory margins so far, but the explosive senior has certainly made the most of just about every attempt. Jackson has rushed for 566 yards and 13 touchdowns, meaning he's averaging 10.9 yards a carry and a TD every fourth attempt for the fifth-ranked Chiefs (5-0). He also has caught one scoring pass from Joseph Hatcher. Jackson, who recently became the school’s second all-time rusher behind Elijah Barnwell, gained 1,777 yards on the ground and had 22 TDs last year.

Also recognized: Brian Ugwa who visited UConn over the winter and included us in his top 7. A top level tackling machine is what we desperately need:

Kinney: Brian Ugwu, Hillside, LB
Analysis: The 6-3, 220-pound senior gives Hillside (5-0) a boost out of the backfield and he provides more like a big, heavy boot to the forward progress of rival backfields. Ugwu’s 54 tackles is tied with Mateus Ramos for second on the team, but that number only begins to explain his impact. Opponents try their best to avoid Ugwu, though usually find that effort to be pretty close to futile. He has racked up over 150 tackles in three years and also has rushed for over 1,500 yards since the start of last season. Among Ugwu’s more than 15 offers are Rutgers, Boston College, Syracuse, Pitt and Nebraska.

Also, the staff is following the QB mentioned, Nick Kargman.

Lanni: Nick Kargman, Woodrow Wilson, QB
Analysis: Kargman’s transfer from Pitman to Woodrow Wilson last season provided an instant boost. Now, Woodrow Wilson is in the driver seat for a special season, and its star quarterback is the main reason why. Let's not forget it was just two years ago that Timber Creek quarterback Devin Leary posted a ridiculous record-setting campaign. At the midway point, Kargman is well ahead of the pace Leary set. Kargman threw for a state record 539 yards in a win over Cedar Creek and threw eight touchdowns in a game against Camden Catholic. Let these numbers sink in: 2,369 yards, 29 touchdowns and nine interceptions (in six games). Yes, Kargman is averaging 38 attempts per game, but he is also completing 60 percent of his passes.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So Edsall said he was making a stop in Baltimore this week. Wonder if it was to check in on Malik Jackson. 6'4'' 235lb DE/TE with large arms and big hands at Fort Meade School. Looks like he can be molded into a complete TE that can block and catch. Edsall has had good success in Maryland. Corey, A. Smith and M. Robinson are following on twitter.

Malik Jackson on Hudl

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Steve Linton has been one of the few DEs we have offered that I am actually excited about. This diamond didn't play football until recently. Now everyone wants him.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Irks me that folks look to 247 for data but don’t realize they are missing commits which impact rankings:

Putterman: UConn Football Recruiting Update: Randy Edsall Hits Road To Build Class of 2019

(But 247 does have the three that they are listing (Lundt, Jackson and Medlock) as 3*)
If I was the staff I would make a friendly attempt to get 247 to be accurate on our verbal commits. I wouldn't bug them about anything else (not grading, not offers), just get our verbals up there accurately. It would be a friendly reach out, not looking to create a firestorm.

Reaction Score
Irks me that folks look to 247 for data but don’t realize they are missing commits which impact rankings:

Putterman: UConn Football Recruiting Update: Randy Edsall Hits Road To Build Class of 2019

(But 247 does have the three that they are listing (Lundt, Jackson and Medlock) as 3*.

In the Main board thread @Lewconn pointed out the mention of am offer to Kicker Harrison Leonard of Avon Old Farms. I haven't seen an offer mentioned anywhere else but on the Courant. I've been following Leonard since he attended a UConn game last year w/ Taison P and UConn Baseball began following him (could play D1 baseball as well). He only has a 247 profile and while UConn is listed - it shows no offers. He does hold a PWO offer from Utah and took an official visit to ND recently (which sounds like his dream school). I guess it could be a new offer relayed by one of AOF Coach’s to one of the Courant guys who covers football or commitable standing offer from UConn through Kohl’s on the QT (not as likely). There is no offer mention of his social media feeds. Guess we’ll see.

Reaction Score
We had peripheral interest in Lopez back in 2016/2017? and current staff appears to have interest. Just one of those you kinda watch to see what happens:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Very good looking OT/TE prospect Jimmy Fritzche 6'7'' 245lbs from Greenville SC (Greenville HS) was offered last night. Jimmy is on the same team as big time QB prospect Davis Beville who committed to Pitt.

Looks like Jimmy might have a PWO offer from Purdue the way I read his pinned tweet (247 says he has an offer). Other offers include Georgia State, Eastern Kentucky and Coastal Carolina. Also, he visited Vanderbilt in Sept and Nebraska has shown interest.

He also tweeted that he made the move from TE to OT in early Sept.

Senior Season

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Travis Koontz is a 6-5 250lb TE from Youngstown Ohio attending Ventura Community College in Ventura CA. Other offers from Fresno State, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Nevada, Pitt (Committed 6/15/18>Decommitted 10/2/18), San Diego State and Texas State.

Highlights

Been around the block so to say..
>>Originally from Youngstown, Ohio, Koontz spent last season at Los Angeles Pierce College and is now at Ventura College. The 6-foot-6, 250-pound Koontz had 11 receptions for 106 yards and a touchdown last season in eight games, according to statistics from the California Community College Athletic Association. He’ll have three years to play two seasons at Pitt.

A three-star recruit out of Boardman High School, Koontz originally committed to both Bowling Green and Toledo before opting to go the junior-college route. Since then, Koontz has seen a rise in his recruitment, and he chose the Panthers over Louisville, LSU and Maryland, among others.<<

Reaction Score

DJ Williams, is a 5-11 210lb RB from Sebring High School in Sebring Florida. Current Appalachian State commit (July 2018) w/ other offers from Arkansas Pine-Bluff, Eastern Illinois, Mercer, South Alabama and Wake Forest.

Highlights

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
DJ Williams is quite the bowling ball. 210lbs RB in high school? With his frame, he should be able to play as a true freshman. He seems to have all the attributes; vision, cut ability in the hole, balance, acceleration and speed. One small knock on him is that the competition looks weak.

Lots of follow back from DJ on Twitter with the staff, this might go places.

Reaction Score
From today's ,press conference:

@Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 2 minutes ago
Edsall said don't assume it is going to be a small recruiting class just because only a handful of seniors on roster. "I'm going to do what I have to do to get this thing right as quickly as I possibly can doing it the right way with the right people."

@Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 1 minute ago
Edsall on number of recruits he'll bring in for 2019: "Don't assume it's going to be a small class."

@Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 15 seconds ago
Edsall says "5th years aren't guaranteed.... I'm going to do what I have to do to get this thing going quickly."

@Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 1 minute ago
Edsall giving some glimpse into what might happen regarding recruiting and current roster. "Nobody is guaranteed a fifth year. We'll graduate our guys and then there are decisions you have to make as a head coach."

Reaction Score
Not a surprise - I've been expecting 20 in this class. You're not playing as a Jr or Sr. and you are on track to graduation - God speed. No reason a kid who wants to keep playing, can't - he'll just do it elsewhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom