2019 Recruiting Thread | Page 82 | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting Thread

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
16 days until the second NLI signing period arrives on Wed Feb 6th. That means there are only two recruiting weekends left. If we don't have any attrition via transfers/early exits (which would be a surprise as we always have some churn even in the best of times), we have 7 open scholarships to fill (that assumes Beavers does not transfer).

A quick handicapping of the known outstanding offers:
  1. Nazir Burnett (WR/DB) - Bishop McDevitt High School, Harrisburg, PA (Syracuse Commit 8/3/18>Decommit 11/5/18) <--Looks like a George Tech lean. No chance here for UConn.
  2. Darrin(DJ) Smith (RB) - Lone Star High School, Frisco Texas (UConn Commit 5/10/18>Decommit 6/17/18) <--Wants TT, might end up at FIU....difficult one to guess as anything is possible.
  3. Jared Harrison-Hunte (DL/TE) - Christ the King High School, Middle Village NY. <--Haven't paid attention, he's way above our reach.
  4. Brian Ugwa (RB/LB) - Hillside High School, Hillside New Jersey <--Surprisingly quiet. Temple seemed to be the choice, then coaching chaos delayed everything in December. Pitt/Temple/Rutty all in play. Very athletic. Played in a HS showcase game this past weekend. Said he was going to take some OV in Jan, but hasn't made plans public. On twitter he hasn't given anything away, no likes, no hints, no nothing since mid December. Lots of new P5 interest, but no announcements.
  5. Raykwon Anderson (DB/Athlete) - Charlton County High School, Folkston Georgia (North Carolina Commit 7/13/18>Decommit 12/2/18) <--Radio silent since the 247 story which discussed UConn as the leading choice with App St as an alternative. Corey still working this one.
  6. Kenny Logan (Athlete) - Pedro Menendez High School, St Augustine Florida <--I thought this one was well out of reach, since he had big time offers going into his senior season including FSU and Auburn. After his senior year however big time interest has cooled. Maybe USF and FIU are in the lead, but hard to interpret what is really going on here. We offered a long time ago, but I see Corey continues to interact with Logan. Maybe something happens here.
  7. Trayvon Moss (WR/LB) - Victory Christian School, Tulsa Oklahoma <--Not sure what is going on here
  8. DJ Green (CB/RB/ATH) - Wharton High School, Tampa Florida <--Not sure what is going on here,
  9. Kevens Clercius (WR/DB) - Montreal Canada (UConn Commit 8/1/18 - but no longer holds offer)
  10. Rian Haigler (OL) - St John’s College High School, Washington DC <--We are his best offer. He seems to have shut down recruiting upon receipt of our offer. I think he has signed, but his HS is holding back the announcement like they did with Cam Ross until 2/6
  11. Steven Linton (TE/DE/LB) - Dublin High School, Dublin Georgia <--Way out of reach.
  12. Wyatt Hummel (OL) - Jesuit Dallas High School, Dallas Texas <--Been quiet, but did visit Villanova this past weekend.
  13. Brett Seither (TE/WR)- Clearwater Central Catholic, Clearwater Florida <--Way of out reach.
  14. Matt Drayton (WR/DB) - Raines High School, Jacksonville Florida <--Visited, didn't commit. Not sure what happened here as he remains uncommitted.
  15. Zakhari Franklin (WR) - Cedar Hill High School, Cedar Hill Texas <--Quiet, don't get any vibes there is mutual interest. Could be surprised though.
  16. Dominick Mazotti (QB/Athlete) - Amador Valley High School, Pleasanton CA <--Visited UMass this weekend, with either us or San Diego next weekend. Would be a great get, looks like he wants to be a leader.
  17. William Rogers (OL/DL) - Lovejoy High School, Hampton Georgia <--Visited FIU this past weekend. No word if he will visit UConn.
  18. Joseph Appiah Darkwa (DL) - Düsseldorf Germany <--No chance.
  19. David Clayton (WR) - Grapevine High School, Grapevine Texas <--Tulsa has stepped up with an offer. I think its been us and Tulsa. This might be tough.
  20. Jacob Busic (DL/TE) - Westminster High School, Westminster Maryland <--I would think we would get a visit. No word yet however.
  21. Zach VanValkenburg (DL) - Hudsonville,Michigan attending/graduating from Hillsdale College, Hillsdale Michigan <--I would think we get a visit. Buffalo and San Jose is the competition. Like Fines, as two years of eligibility remaining.
  22. Joshua Youngblood (ATH) - Berkeley Prep, Tampa Florida (Temple Commit (July 2018) @ time of offer) <--Visited Kansas St last weekend, BC this past weekend. UConn is not in play.

One other recruit of note is Dalmonte Gourdine 6'6'' 260lb DL from SC who visited UConn this past weekend. Presumably we have offered, but nothing has been published by the recruit. Gourdine visits Tulane and Rutgers over the final two weekends before making a decision. Difficult to guess where this one plays out. I could see Rutty or Tulane running out of space, both had about 16 signees in mid December.

Last edited:

PWS

Reaction Score
Thank you for this update, kind of depressing. My question is Corey the only assistant recruiting. Here and other updates it seems like it is either Corey is working on it or nothing.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thank you for this update, kind of depressing. My question is Corey the only assistant recruiting. Here and other updates it seems like it is either Corey is working on it or nothing.
Odd thing about the Edsal 2.0 era is that the OC and DC are not seemingly out front on the recruiting trail. I don’t get it. But all the coaches are recruiting; DDC, A. Smith, Wholley, Guifre, etc are out there... Richardson too. None of them seem to have the same level of public pursuit as Corey - meaning you can see how Corey finds a recruit and stays on them persistently.

I don’t understand why Dunn isn’t a public figure. He needs to be the one leading the charge. Spanos too.

Reaction Score

IMHO, CE is the only member of staff speaking thru social media. The rest are operating very quietly trying to fill out roster. I would expect to see a class of about 20 - or 4-5 more. Look for the FL sleepers come signing day.

Reaction Score
There has more radio silence both from staff and potential recruits since signing day #1. I'm hoping that means there will be a lot of signing day surprises.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Looking at the current class - looks like mostly Corey and A Smith recruits with credit to Richardson on Bell and perhaps Dixon in the south FL.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
One time UCF commit Miles Dickens (DL) visited Georgia State. Mike Z jumped on Dickens a couple weeks ago, but I see no one else from the staff has, so I guess we aren't going this direction.

While Tyler Devera visited Colorado: Seems like that package deal of the two Devera bros to UMass might not be a thing after all given Tyler's Louisville and CO offers.
TD on Twitter

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guarantee surprises

The Usual Suspect - Terry Richardson. Past history is a good predictor of future results. The rest - to my view - are unknowns. Who knows - but we can bring in about 10+

Reaction Score
Hot fresh good news update: Kenny Logan is slated to visit Jan 25th, then off to Kansas the last weekend. Come on Corey! He's been on this one for a long time.

He'd be our highest get in a Long time. (Too long) You got this Corey - Let's go!
Kenny Logan, Pedro Menendez, Athlete
1548092450113.png

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Better than expected? Did he expect 12 inches of snow?? An old weightroom?

I am unsure if that's a good sign or bad sign but i hope's he seriously considers UConn.

Reaction Score
Anybody else see that Ife Adeyi re-opened his recruitment? Just announced in about 21 minutes ago on his Twitter account....

Kinda interesting after this article yesterday in which he is quoted: College football's signing period has evolved, but its contract hasn't: Examining the highly scrutinized National Letter of Intent

>>Adeyi said he plans to honor his NLI despite the coaching change. Houston was a dream school for him even before he signed. He said he's excited to go down there and open some eyes, just like he did with the previous coaching staff.<<

Reaction Score
It seems like we already have Edsall's ideal roster number of OL at 15 if you include Haigler. Didn't Brown take his spot?

Quite possibly... I always look @ nothing is guaranteed till after the paperwork is signed, sealed and delivered (re: Haigler). He may have been whispered to...

Reaction Score
Quite possibly... I always look @ nothing is guaranteed till after the paperwork is signed, sealed and delivered (re: Haigler). He may have been whispered to...
I see only 6 to 7 spots left and needs are:

QB - 1
TE - 1 or 2
WR - 2
DL 1 or 2
LB - 1

And, you always make room for a great player regardless of position, so I don't see a spot for another OL.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Intel on NJ LB/RB Ugwa:

Story confirms what the twitter leaves always indicated; Rutty/Temple or Pitt. Sounds like GT could be a place too, but also sounds like staying close to his parents might be important. If Rutty really take him as an RB which is his preferred position, then seems like that's the right place for him. Best of luck, intriguing athlete.

Edit update: 247 says Louisville working to get an OV from Ugwa on 2/1.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom