2019 Recruiting Thread | Page 90 | The Boneyard

2019 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
This narrative that we have these hidden gems that are going to obscure and overwhelm all our recent misses is getting a bit old and is a little like whistling past the graveyard.

Maybe, but it’s like spring training when everyone’s an optimist. That is, everyone except the boneyarders

Who has Edsall missed on? He’s playing kids too soon, but who are the misses? Bobby D on the other hand missed on almost everyone.

Reaction Score
This narrative that we have these hidden gems that are going to obscure and overwhelm all our recent misses is getting a bit old and is a little like whistling past the graveyard.

My issue is this.

When you are an out-of-state kid at UCONN,you notice this. A curmudgeon-like sensibility that always is the half empty Joe Bstymlik cartoon. You can’t see the bright side. Ever.

This from a University - a fan base which had seen one of the most amazing risings of a college sports Program ever TWICE - is quite surprising. What was 2003-2010 about in UConn football. As someone who does sell things - creates projects ... there’s this notion here that we simply lack the recruitment staff to get 4 Stars ✨ - when we already know freak athletes in our midst were dubbed 2 Star. (Byron Jones)

The moaning has returned. It’s been the same for 15 years.

Edsall?

Reaction Score
You gonna write another unintelligible string of long words and refuse to concede that you might be wrong about something?

Which word don’t you understand ...

Reaction Score
My issue is this.

When you are an out-of-state kid at UCONN,you notice this. A curmudgeon-like sensibility that always is the half empty Joe Bstymlik cartoon. You can’t see the bright side. Ever.

This from a University - a fan base which had seen one of the most amazing risings of a college sports Program ever TWICE - is quite surprising. What was 2003-2010 about in UConn football. As someone who does sell things - creates projects ... there’s this notion here that we simply lack the recruitment staff to get 4 Stars ✨ - when we already know freak athletes in our midst were dubbed 2 Star. (Byron Jones)

Edsall?
This isn't about 4stars. It's about not losing every recruiting battle for kids with other offers. Especially against conference foes. But whatever. Ultimately game results will show us how good the recruiting has been.

Reaction Score
Trying to decipher why a kid commits to another school over UConn is a total crap shoot. There is never twitter activity saying a school no longer has interest, there are no spots left at a certain position, or that there may be admissions issues. As a class fills, there are dozens of offers that are no longer "committable". That is the reality.

Edsall is attempting to recreate what was a truly amazing period of program development. In some ways the story Edsall had for recruits in 2003 was an easier sell than today. In 2003 it was "be part of something historical and show doubters your level of talent". Today it is rebuilding a train wreck that altered the football culture at a school. It is impressive that Edsall is having recruiting success in TX, FL, the Carolinas. Recruiting these hotbeds is part of the cultural shift that Edsall is trying to accomplish. Only time will tell.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

They have done a great job finding talent in Texas this year and last year. But I think you can see that we come up 1st bridesmaid here several times and that probably speaks in part to the difficultly to find kids that want to play this far from home. I feel like we came in second for Franklin, the Murphy twins that went to N. Texas, the WR at Poteat HS (forgetting his name) and maybe Ife Adeyi.

We need to find a way back to PA kids. Don’t quit Texas, just maybe redirect that CA effort back at a state like PA to find more kids with families that could actually drive to the games.

Reaction Score
They have done a great job finding talent in Texas this year and last year. But I think you can see that we come up 1st bridesmaid here several times and that probably speaks in part to the difficultly to find kids that want to play this far from home. I feel like we came in second for Franklin, the Murphy twins that went to N. Texas, the WR at Poteat HS (forgetting his name) and maybe Ife Adeyi.

We need to find a way back to PA kids. Don’t quit Texas, just maybe redirect that CA effort back at a state like PA to find more kids with families that could actually drive to the games.

Clearly Cory had developed a path into TX while at Colorado. But point is valid we need stronger recruiting in PA, NJ, NYC and Mass.

Reaction Score

Yes. This is quite surprising in HCRE 2.0. Because of Todd Orlando & the HC - I can’t think of others - we did great in both W PA & through the Poconos. That’s missing. And I don’t think FAR less kids are playing football in those regions nor are they dramatically worse. It’s one big question mark.

Reaction Score
Clearly Cory had developed a path into TX while at Colorado. But point is valid we need stronger recruiting in PA, NJ, NYC and Mass

Prep schools in NJ, Conn and NY provide decent talent. Some Catholic schools are a haven for the acc and Rutgers as well.. Those kids are going to Rutgers, Syracuse, temple, and BC.

We need a good recruiter in those areas to bring the kids to UConn. They want their girlfriends and family members to be able to attend almost every game and when your from California or a plane ride to watch a game it makes it a little more challenging.. Thinking that’s what’s gonna be Mazottis reason., just to far from California..
but maybe I’ll be surprised tomorrow...I hope I am..

Last edited:
Reaction Score

100% agree. Is branching out to Texas the best way to spend our resources? Florida, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, New Nersey, Ohio, New England. Those areas should be the recruiting map for this program. Spend the time building relationships with schools in these areas, especially Florida and Pennsylvania, schools that churn out a ton of FBS players.

C

Chief00

My issue is this.

Edsall?

LOL - Chief is an optimist by nature but I can also read and analyze the data Huskymedic diligently provides. I think we can do better than our recent results, you view that as negative but Chief views that as a positive, challenging outlook.

Reaction Score
Unlike your basketball analysis ... let’s do this:

Wait. Come back tomorrow at noon and moan. The summary by huskymedic tells a story. But let’s fully digest the class first.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, earlier on this thread, read the sea of red in Huskymedic’s offer list.

As the years go and our situation with conference, play, coaches performance AND changes, fanbase and such deteriorates I have grown more pessimistic than even I want to admit. I miss the eternal optimist in myself. However, I don't really understand the complainers in this thread regarding our recruiting class. This year is really no different than the recent rest. It is a mixed bag of good possible diamonds and projects and everything in between. That's our permanent recruiting life for the near future and beyond while stuck in this conference and with our recent terrible product on the field. Everybody needs to get used to it. There are plenty of other D1 schools that have playing time, and are closer to homes of recruits. Big deal if we miss a guy from FL or TX or even PA. We aren't an attractive landing spot right now. Stop bellyaching over every recruit. If this program returns to prominence it will be on the backs of hardworking, under the radar, overachievers who are coached up but competent detail orientated coaches.

We are not P5 anymore. We are miles away from these guys homes. Yes we have a nice facility but I have enough fingers to count our wins in the last 3 years, not to mention how many coaches have we gone through in the last 5 years? Most of these guys that aren't committing are going to home based schools or D1 schools in p5 or D1 schools that are more attractive right now. With that said we have more than likely 19 spots taken out of our 25. Its not like we aren't close to a full scholarship class. And I really don't want to hear all this "what about the red" talk. Because there is a polar opposite recruiting critic here complaining about casting a wider net and going for bigger names in the area and at least trying to bring in local 4 stars. If you actually look at the red out of the 70 or so we had no business right now partaking in an actual recruiting battle with probably 40 of them. I'm sure Randy knew that and politely offered knowing there was no chance and didn't waste resources chasing those guys. As for the guys signed up there is certainly some guys that give you hope out of the 16 that we are bringing in (for me; Harris, Mitchell, Bell, Thompson, Moore, Ross) with the possibility of a few more (Gaurdine, Overton, Logan, Mazotti, Haigler, Adeyi, and who knows maybe a surprise). So yeah there are definitely guys I wish we got but these guys are not program savers. The culture has miles to go before we can get back to winning some legit recruiting battles.

Reaction Score
This is what Randy has said before.. good article on those “UN committable vs committable offers..

The murky world of uncommittable scholarship offers
I’d like to take a small liberty. Long ago I’ve posted about the uncommittable offer. Joe Shmo U offering player because the other university did- without even evaluating the player. Then we as fans look at the offer sheet and gush because he has all these offers. But if most of those offers aren’t real how good is the recruit really? When a school tells a player that he must come to camp in order to secure the offer, who knows what happens when he goes to the camp? But guess what remains? The offer on his 247 page. Even if he stunk up the joint.

Reaction Score
We have to be sunny and upbeat. It really was very bad last year … and frankly, that was a result of a bunch of mistakes and bad recruiting by the Diaco regime.

Go take a walk around Temple's football facility to the East of Broad Street north of Philadelphia's Center Square ritzy neighborhoods. o Yes … hood. This is far better located than a few years ago; but, still far from ideal. And absolutely not in the same discussion as the money/capital improvement that UConn has invested, Baby steps and grind them out. Recruiting is key. I see 5+ transfers; that is a sign of trying for more immediate Program advancement.

Reaction Score
Respectfully, earlier on this thread, read the sea of red in Huskymedic’s offer list.

A ha

I thought u were suggesting he missed on kids who committed vs those that had little interest in coming here.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Hard to believe we are a little over 14 hours away. Definitely will be some interesting decisions revealed tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Yes. This is quite surprising in HCRE 2.0. Because of Todd Orlando & the HC - I can’t think of others - we did great in both W PA & through the Poconos. That’s missing. And I don’t think FAR less kids are playing football in those regions nor are they dramatically worse. It’s one big question mark.

I looked at the 24/7 database and it looks like football talent has declined in Pennsylvania since RE 1.0. Here are some quick numbers:

P5 Commits from PA 2016 to 2019: averaged ~32 per year (average of 47 3*s per year)

BCS Commits from PA 2003 to 2006: averaged ~50 per year (average of 35 3*s per year)

What is interesting is that as the talent (based on P5/BCS commitments) has fallen, the recruiting ratings have increased. Why? Grade inflation and paying fanbases don't want to see 2* commits for their school. What's even more fascinating is here are the number of 2* recruits for each school from PA in 2004:

Pitt 4
WVU 4
UConn 3
Penn St 2
NC St 2
Wisconsin 1
Stanford 1
Syracuse 1
Indiana 1
South Carolina 1

Reaction Score
There are definitely levels of talent in terms of all the high school ballers out there. Ranging from off the charts to suck. True most of the elite schools get the cream of the crop. But I’m a HUGE believer in how well a school can develop young players.
I believe there are good athletes that have workable size, strength and speed and depending on how well they develop within a program can turn into top notch players. With the addition of King as our strength and agility/conditioning coach, herein lies the key. Edsall didn’t just fall off the banana boat in terms of offering players he studied. He knows what a ready made player looks like but I also think he knows what a player who has solid measurables for the position he plays and/or the ability to convert to a different position without much difficulty- and he knows that developing them in the weight room and film room can make that all come to fruition.
He brought in somebody that was used to developing players to compete at an elite level. We probably have a good amount of raw athletes that if developed properly can make some noise.
Development is so crucial at this level. I believe we’re on to something

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom