2019 FIBA Americup | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2019 FIBA Americup

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Looks like Bird/DT/Skylar aren't ready for in game action yet. I believe every other WNBA player who was invited, and not still in the playoffs, made the team (except Jewell Loyd--maybe she didn't make it to camp?)

So depth chart is likely:

C: Fowles/Williams
PF: Charles/Dolson/ONO
SF: DeShields/Collier/KLS
SG: Arike/Sykes
PG: Canada/Sessions

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Nelson-Odobo and Khadijah Sessions selections are the oddest on paper, but I'm guessing they fill a need the team thinks they have for the upcoming tournament (and maybe Sessions is pulling an Erica Wheeler post college).

PF: Charles/Dolson/Nelson-Odobo

DeShields may start the games but Dawn will get flashbacks about why Pheesa is so valuable and will end the games.

Pheesa may lead this team in minutes as well. ;)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I actually went back and forth on who should start. In some ways, I think Deshields is perfect for the role Geno often had Angel McCoughtry play off the bench in her Olympics stints: instant energy, offense, athleticism, and defense.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I actually went back and forth on who should start. In some ways, I think Deshields is perfect for the role Geno often had Angel McCoughtry play off the bench in her Olympics stints: instant energy, offense, athleticism, and defense.

Actually, I think the other way. I have seen a few DD games and she seems to be extremely good in the beginning of games and then can hit some spells where she is overamped and it can lead to issues on both sides of the ball. Not an issue in this tournament to be sure and she is a fantastic talent who is unbeatable in the open floor but during those moments when you want some structure and order on both sides, give me Pheesa.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Khadijah Sessions has got to be exhibit A in making the case that playing for the national team coach in college gives you an advantage with USAB.

Obviously we don't know who may have turned down an invite but are we that short that we can't get someone who at least was on a WNBA roster?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Looks like Bird/DT/Skylar aren't ready for in game action yet. I believe every other WNBA player who was invited, and not still in the playoffs, made the team (except Jewell Loyd--maybe she didn't make it to camp?)

I don't believe Jewell was there.

Reaction Score
Khadijah Sessions has got to be exhibit A in making the case that playing for the national team coach in college gives you an advantage with USAB.

Obviously we don't know who may have turned down an invite but are we that short that we can't get someone who at least was on a WNBA roster?

She wasn’t even playing professionally. I guess she runs basketball camps? As long as she gets the job done....

Reaction Score
The Nelson-Odobo and Khadijah Sessions selections are the oddest on paper, but I'm guessing they fill a need the team thinks they have for the upcoming tournament (and maybe Sessions is pulling an Erica Wheeler post college).

Just a small edit and point of order... @bbsamjj... I realize from your avatar you are a Rutgers fan, but Olivia's name is Olivia Nelson-Ododa... not Odobo... She just got selected to represent our country in the 2019 FIBA AmeriCup tournament... Seems She deserves to have her name spelled properly by people on the BY ... and pronounced correctly by the media. Thank You :(

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I wonder how much Edwards--17--will get to play on a Canadian team that has an average age of 26.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

It's bizarre for many reasons, particularly because there are other good SC alums who are guards (Allisha Gray, Tiffany Mitchell) in the WNBA.

My thoughts exactly.
OK I just going to go ahead and say this: Khadijah Sessions? She is probably familiar with Dawn's style/offense but is she the type of player that going to give the other players in the gym a real run?
Off the top of my dome Tiffany Mitchell, Allisha Gray, Tyasha Harris, or Kaela Davis would provide better competition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I wonder how much Edwards--17--will get to play on a Canadian team that has an average age of 26.
What is Canada's situation? Do they need to top 3 finish in PR to qualify for Olympics or World cup?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What is Canada's situation? Do they need to top 3 finish in PR to qualify for Olympics or World cup?

Different format now. Top 8 from the AmeriCup will qualify for 2 qualification tournaments. Top 2 from those two tournaments will qualify for the Olympics. So, Canada is safe at this stage. Top 3 teams are US, Canada and probably Brazil. Who knows after that. US will play in these tournaments but already is in the Olympics because of WC win in 2018.

Reaction Score
I think the numbers somewhat reflect their temporary status on the national team in lieu of the talent that's not available right now.
Interesting, the Most of the Player's numbers have changed since the first post of the roster. More in line with the normal number systems used in NCAA and WNBA (no individual number bigger than a 5), and in line with the numbers we have come to know them by...notable Lou now is #33

Reaction Score

Kia got lots of minutes but she was the 4th option on offense before she got to UConn, spending most of her offensive minutes hanging out on the weakside perimeter and not seeing the ball much. She was listed as the pg in name only. Eventually her aggressive nature and talent led to a bigger role.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Link for FIBA AmeriCup 2019. Games begin tomorrow. Canada v Mexico is first up at 12:30. USA v Paraguay at 3 pm.

Reaction Score
One thing I have never understood - how can Puerto Rico have a team when they are US citizens? I thought to play international sports you needed to be a citizen of the country you play for but to my knowledge Puerto Rico has no citizenship other than US.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One thing I have never understood - how can Puerto Rico have a team when they are US citizens? I thought to play international sports you needed to be a citizen of the country you play for but to my knowledge Puerto Rico has no citizenship other than US.
It is my understanding that Puerto Rican have dual citizenship for the US and Puerto Rico.

Reaction Score

For Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, Guam and other similar situations, you simply need to prove that you were born there or have a parent or grandparent who was.

On that subject, here are the rosters for the other teams besides the United States:

Canada:
Sami Hill, Donau-Ries (Germany), Virginia Tech
Bridget Carleton, Iowa State/Minnesota Lynx
Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe, Bourges (France)/New York Liberty, Simon Fraser (DII)
Kim Smith, Mondeville (France), Utah and WNBA (2006-2008)
Miranda Ayim, Landes (France), Pepperdine and WNBA (2011)
Miah-Marie Langlois, Dynamo Novosibirsk (Russia)
Jamie Weisner, Dynamo Novosibirsk (Russia), Oregon State and WNBA (2016)
Shay Colley, Michigan State
Kayla Alexander, Adelaide Lightning(Australia)/Chicago Sky, Syracuse
Aaliyah Edwards, Crestwood Prep (Canada)
Ruth Hamblin, Braine (Belgium), Oregon State and WNBA (2018)
Quinn Dornstauder, Zaragoza (Spain), Arizona State

Cuba:
Anilegna Colas, Habana (Cuba)
Lisdeyvi Martinez, Habana (Cuba)/Este (Dominican Republic)
Lisandra Vargas, Ciego de Avila (Cuba)/Calero (Dominican Republic)
Yamara Amargo, Sancti Spiritus (Cuba)/San Lazaro (Dominican Republic)
Anay Garcia, Pinar del Rio (Cuba)Suchitel Avila, Habana (Cuba)/Sur (Dominican Republic)
Isabela Jourdain, Habana (Cuba)/Guachupita (Dominican Republic)
Leanyi Becquer, Habana (Cuba)/Santiago (Dominican Republic)
Klaudia Calvo, Habana (Cuba)Aztks (Mexico)
Dairis Tornell, Habana (Cuba)/Calero (Dominican Republic)
Anisleidy Galindo, Pinar del Rio (Cuba)/La Vega (Dominican Republic)
Enriqueta Neyra, Mayabeque (Cuba)

Dominican Republic:
Cheisy Hernandez, San Lazaro (Dominican Republic)
Maria Marte, Este (Dominican Republic)
Julady Zapata, Sur (Dominican Republic)
Yohanna Morton, Leganes (Spain), Robert Morris
Jennifer Estrella, La Vega (Dominican Republic)
Genesis Evangelista, Mauricio Baes (Dominican Republic)
Charlenny Frias, Los Mina (Dominican Republic)
Marlem Caceres, La Vega (Dominican Republic)
Nicole Guerrero, Calero (Dominican Republic)
Flor Jones, FAS (El Salvador)/San Lazaro (Dominican Republic)
Giocelis Reynoso, Starlites (Malta)/Calero (Dominican Republic), Central Connecticut State
Sugeiry Monsac, Guachupita (Dominican Republic), Robert Morris

Mexico:
Daniela Pardo, Aztks (Mexico)
Jackie Luna-Castro, Esperides Kallitheas (Greece)/Gold Coast Rollers (Australia)/Santurce Crabbers (Puerto Rico), College of Charleston
Gladys Avila, Aztks (Mexico)
Paola Beltran, Mexcaltecas (Mexico)
Jacqueline Ramirez, Autonomous University of Nuevo Leon (Mexico)
Irlanda Castaneda, Autonomous University of Ciudad Juarez (Mexico)
Casandra Asencio, Gamos (Mexico)
Paola Estrada, Barreteras (Mexico)
Carolina Romo, Mexcaltecas (Mexico)Jazmin Valenzuela, Mexcaltecas (Mexico)
Kimberly Taylor, Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education (Mexico)

Puerto Rico:
Jennifer O'Neill, Spartak Moscow (Russia), Kentucky and WNBA (2015)
Tayra Melendez, Sibenik (Croatia), Rhode Island
Anushka Maldonado, Carolina Giants (Puerto Rico), Southern Oregon (NAIA)
Pamela Rosado, Manati Athenians (Puerto Rico)
Ali Gibson, Carolina Giants (Puerto Rico), Oregon State
Sofia Roma, Duke/Santurce Crabbers (Puerto Rico)
Dayshalee Salaman, Barreteras (Mexico)/Santurce Crabbers (Puerto Rico), Lincoln Memorial (DII)
Deanna Kuzmanic, UAB/Manati Athenians (Puerto Rico)
Daneichka Canales, Barreteras (Mexico)/San Lazaro (Dominican Republic)/Carolina Giants (Puerto Rico), UTRGV
Jazmon Gwathmey, Manati Athenians (Puerto Rico), James Madison and WNBA (2016-2018)
Isalys Quinones, Dartmouth
India Pagan, Stony Brook

Argentina:
Luciana De La Barba, Quimsa (Argentina)
Agustina Garcia, Berazategui (Argentina)Macarena Durso, Almeria (Spain)/Berazategui (Argentina)
Victoria Llorente, Bembibre (Spain)
Julieta Ale, Velez Sarsfield (Argentina)
Andrea Boquete, Quimsa (Argentina)
Celia Fiorotto, Quimsa (Argentina)
Agostina Burani, Obras (Argentina)
Debora Gonzalez, Sesto San Giovanni (Italy)
Sofia Aispurua, Obras (Argentina)Mara Marchizotti, Adareva (Spain)
Natacha Perez, Berazategui (Argentina)

Brazil:
Isabela Lyra Macedo, Barreiro (Portugal)/America (Brazil)
Raphaella Monteiro, Sampaio (Brazil)
Patricia Teixeira, Vera Cruz Campinas (Brazil)
Taina Paixao, Vagos (Portugal)/Sampaio (Brazil)
Tatiane Pacheco,Sampaio (Brazil)Clarissa Dos Santos, Lyon (France)/Sampaio (Brazil), WNBA (2015-2016)
Damiris Dantas, Suwon (South Korea)/Minnesota Lynx
Erika De Souza, Avenida (Spain)/America (Brazil), WNBA (2002, 2007-2017)
Debora Costa, Araraquara (Brazil)
Alana Goncalo, Santo Andre (Brazil)
Nadia Gomes Colhado, Charleville (France)/ Vera Cruz Campinas (Brazil), WNBA (2014-2015, 2017)
Mariana Dias, Vera Cruz Campinas (Brazil)

Colombia:
Manuela Rios, Antioquia (Colombia)
Wendy Coy, Guerreros (Colombia)
Yuliany Paz, Antioquia (Colombia)
Carolina Lopez, University of Medellin (Colombia)
Maria Palacio, Panamericanos (Colombia)
Mabel Martinez, Quimsa (Argentina)
Yaneth Arias, Antioquia (Colombia)
Jenifer Munoz, Antioquia (Colombia)
Marlyn Vente, Panamericanos (Colombia)
Daniela Gonzalez, Valle (Colombia)

Paraguay:
Marta Peralta, Unami (Spain)/Sol de America (Paraguay)
Ilda Pena, Felix Perez (Paraguay)
Paola Ferrari, Caceres (Spain)/Sol de America (Paraguay), Union (DII)
Astrid Huttemann, Alicante (Spain)/Libertad (Paraguay), Union (DII)
Natalia Quevedo, Felix Perez (Paraguay)
Patricia Rojas, Sol de America (Paraguay)
Johanna Ghiringhelli, Sol de America (Paraguay), Hampden Academy (Maine)
Maria Caraves, Sol de America (Paraguay)
Andrea Gomez, Sol de America (Paraguay)
Paloma Niz, Libertad (Paraguay)
Ximena Ibarra, Felix Perez (Paraguay)
Maria Perez, Libertad (Paraguay)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Television schedule. Nice no conflict for the US game with WNBA. Canada / Mexico should be fun

1569124259069.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom