2019 FIBA Americup | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2019 FIBA Americup

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
USA up 19-10 after Q1. Points from Tina, Phee, and Lou from 3 to end the quarter.

Reaction Score
This would be a very different game if O’Neil was playing semi-decent.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Pheesa missed a lot of chipees. Pretty weird. But very solid on the boards.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
PR cut the lead, but a nice push by USA gets it to 48-29. Tina has been in the middle of it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
An ONO sighting at the the end of the game. Two baskets and an assist in 3 minutes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
USA wears down Puerto Rico, 78-54.

Syl led with 17 and 13.

Huskies scoring: Tina 14, Lou 10, Phee 4, Stef 4, Liv 4.

Tina and Phee had 10 boards each.

Only 18 assists to 17 TOs.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
An ONO sighting at the the end of the game. Two baskets and an assist in 3 minutes.

She swished a 15-footer with no hesitation.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Fowles and Charles combined for 31 points and 23 rebounds. Absolutely the difference-makers in this one. They were a big part of the massive rebounding advantage (63-34), although everyone contributed there (Pheesa had 10 boards).

Somewhat sloppy play, with 17 turnovers by USA, and cold outside shooting. KLS was 2-5 from the arc and everyone else was 0-9 (including Arike 0-4 and Pheesa 0-3).

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UConn Bun Girls + Jordin Canada

Attachments

• UConn Bun Girls.jpg
    UConn Bun Girls.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 167

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing these.

Not at all surprised about Pheesa's +/-, because her fundamentals are so sound and she contributes in so many non-stat-obvious ways.

Nice seeing Canada emerge to start the transition from the Bird era for the USA. I just wish her outside shooting were better - 16.7% from long range - YIKES. But Her overall FG%, Assists, and A/TO ratio were all super solid. Fix that outside shot and we have ourselves the next Team USA true PG.

Sessions' usage rate really makes me question why Dawn didn't just pick any random up-and-comer for that last spot, because at least whoever she picked would get some experience and bonding time with some of the top women's team players. ONO is contributing but it's clear her pick was more about investing in the long term, so why not pick CW, or Hebard, or Onyenwere, all players who might contribute to the team down the road and could benefit from the experience now?

The only other explanation I could understand is player availability, because playing in the Americup means missing a *lot* of school before the formal bball season has even started. I honestly can't imagine any Stanford players being able to pull that off, as it's a hard enough juggle during the season as is, let alone to miss a whole additional week early in the quarter. And that would be true for Hebard and Onyenwere, as Oregon and UCLA are on the quarter system, so missing a week when there are only 10 weeks total, and the first mid-terms are often at the end of week 3, could be a big ask.

I think the ONO pick is on merit. She really has a wide range of skills that are just beginning to be tapped (Mid range shot, improving post presence, rebounding, shot blocking, passing (underrated and improving a lot) and can run the floor like a gazelle. Her potential is the highest of all. She just needs to experience more BB, avoid some fouls and continue getting physically stronger. I am not convinced Hebard and Onyenware will be more than solid pro's at the next level. Hebard benefits from Sabrina and the OU system alot and Onyenware while tough and strong in the post needs to improve her outside shot (for her size 5' 11")

Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing these.

Not at all surprised about Pheesa's +/-, because her fundamentals are so sound and she contributes in so many non-stat-obvious ways.

Nice seeing Canada emerge to start the transition from the Bird era for the USA. I just wish her outside shooting were better - 16.7% from long range - YIKES. But Her overall FG%, Assists, and A/TO ratio were all super solid. Fix that outside shot and we have ourselves the next Team USA true PG.

Sessions' usage rate really makes me question why Dawn didn't just pick any random up-and-comer for that last spot, because at least whoever she picked would get some experience and bonding time with some of the top women's team players. ONO is contributing but it's clear her pick was more about investing in the long term, so why not pick CW, or Hebard, or Onyenwere, all players who might contribute to the team down the road and could benefit from the experience now?

The only other explanation I could understand is player availability, because playing in the Americup means missing a *lot* of school before the formal bball season has even started. I honestly can't imagine any Stanford players being able to pull that off, as it's a hard enough juggle during the season as is, let alone to miss a whole additional week early in the quarter. And that would be true for Hebard and Onyenwere, as Oregon and UCLA are on the quarter system, so missing a week when there are only 10 weeks total, and the first mid-terms are often at the end of week 3, could be a big ask.
Doesn't Oregon not even start until October 1?

Reaction Score
I think the ONO pick is on merit. She really has a wide range of skills that are just beginning to be tapped (Mid range shot, improving post presence, rebounding, shot blocking, passing (underrated and improving a lot) and can run the floor like a gazelle. Her potential is the highest of all. She just needs to experience more BB, avoid some fouls and continue getting physically stronger. I am not convinced Hebard and Onyenware will be more than solid pro's at the next level. Hebard benefits from Sabrina and the OU system alot and Onyenware while tough and strong in the post needs to improve her outside shot (for her size 5' 11")
For a 6-0 PF, 34% from deep isn't terrible. For comparison, it's right around Crystal's 35%. Onyenwere does a lot of her shooting/scoring close to the basket, so 34% is serviceable IMO.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Doesn't Oregon not even start until October 1?
Wow, you're right. I had forgotten how crazy late west coast schools start fall quarter. Stanford and UCLA started this past week, so maybe the thinking with Onyenwere was that she would just miss the first week of school. Still, based on my experience at Stanford, I'd not want to miss a whole week of a quarter because it goes by so fast.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For a 6-0 PF, 34% from deep isn't terrible. For comparison, it's right around Crystal's 35%. Onyenwere does a lot of her shooting/scoring close to the basket, so 34% is serviceable IMO.

I am just trying to extrapolate her to the next level which is why you would be thinking about choosing her for the national team. Just not sure how she will translate. And I agree unlike most on the BY, Crystal will have to overcome alot to be a consistent WNBA player but she is a far better 3pt shooter with real WNBA range. 44% in sophomore year before her junior year where she did slump. I do think it is at least partly physical with her dealing with her hip.

Anyway, my focus was on how much potential ONO had over the others mentioned and at a position where early development is crucial.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
I am just trying to extrapolate her to the next level which is why you would be thinking about choosing her for the national team. Just not sure how she will translate. And I agree unlike most on the BY, Crystal will have to overcome alot to be a consistent WNBA player but she is a far better 3pt shooter with real WNBA range. 44% in sophomore year before her junior year where she did slump. I do think it is at least partly physical with her dealing with her hip.

Anyway, my focus was on how much potential ONO had over the others mentioned and at a position where early development is crucial.
Oh sorry, I see how my post was misleadingly phrased. No, I was not suggesting picking them OVER ONO. :) My point was that any of CW, Hebard or Onyenwere (all invited to training camp) were better picks than Sessions, who literally had the only +/- and efficiencies that were negative. My point was those picks, like ONO, could be about developing a future player who'd mostly be sitting at the end of the bench, but would get to know regulars on the national team, practice with them, etc.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Oh sorry, I see how my post was misleadingly phrased. No, I was not suggesting picking them OVER ONO. :) My point was that any of CW, Hebard or Onyenwere (all invited to training camp) were better picks than Sessions, who literally had the only +/- and efficiencies that were negative. My point was those picks, like ONO, could be about developing a future player who'd mostly be sitting at the end of the bench, but would get to know regulars on the national team, practice with them, etc.

and I see if I carefully parsed your post, you were focusing on Sessions

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
and I see if I carefully parsed your post, you were focusing on Sessions
Yeah I edited to make it clearer. I was totally on board with the ONO pick given that the team has enough strong and experienced posts that using a few spots for future development is the wise long-term plan, especially for a tournament that is something close to a guaranteed gold medal.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some of the UConn focused quotes after the PR game. Love Lou's attitude.

Katie Lou Samuelson (Chicago Sky)

“I know that I’m a shooter, and I can shoot the ball well,” said Samuelson, who is averaging a USA fourth-best 9.2 points per game. “So, when I come in and I have open shots, I know people count on me to knock them in.”

How surprised were you by the level of play from Puerto Rico?
We expected them to come out firing, come out with a lot of energy. They played really scrappy, really aggressive, so they came out really hard and we just had to compete with that and battle back and forth from the beginning.

What’s your mindset coming off the bench to provide a spark for the team?
Just to contribute in any way that I can. I know that I’m a shooter, and I can shoot the ball well. So, when I come in and I have open shots, I know people count on me to knock them in.

How much difference did it make to have a loud crowd for tonight’s game?
It’s awesome. The crowd was cheering for them, but just that atmosphere, it adds a little fire even for us. We want to try to silent the crowd a little bit. But, it’s a lot of fun when a crowd comes out like this.

On playing for gold tomorrow:
I’m super excited. We’re all really ready to go. We get a chance to play Canada, and I think we’re going to be really focused. We’ll get a good night’s rest and get going tomorrow.

Tina Charles (New York Liberty)
How tough is it to play the home team with such a vocal crowd?
It’s always hard. Usually the home team’s sixth man is their fans, and their fans brought it tonight for them, giving them motivation, how loud it was, the energy they had in there. Puerto Rico gave us their best shot. We were resilient, got rebounds, limited their 3s, which they thrive off of. We stuck to the game plan, so it was really great.

Canada seems to match-up with you better than any other team you’ve faced so far. What will tomorrow’s game be like?
Through my experience playing against Canada, I know they’re going to use the entire shot clock. We’re going to have to work on defense. They’re extremely patient. They are going to always make sure they get the right shot. They’re a very disciplined team, so we’re going to have to bear down and see how mature we are throughout the last game. I don’t think we’ve reflected who we are through the dynamic of this group, so we have one more chance to do that.

What advice do you have for some of the younger players who haven’t been in this position at this level yet?
Just to be focused, to be locked in, not to take any team lightly. We have USA on our chests. We’re a big target and everyone’s going to give us their best shot. So, we all definitely have to take it as a championship game with a gold medal on the line.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom