2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 83 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't know how serious UConn is regarding this recruit.....she's quite athletic but can play a bit out of control at times.....

I think it serves any recruit to suggest they are being recruited by UConn. Hard to imagine that UConn is serious about Horston and she's not planning an official trip to Storrs. My take. UConn took a look at her and perhaps sent her something in the mail, but decided to pursue other recruits in the class of 2019, i.e. Brunelle, Amihere, Boston, etc. Also wonder why her trip to Louisville is unofficial. I get that it's a 2 hour drive from Columbus, but if Waltz was serious about her, he would offer her an official trip, pick her up with a limo or reimburse her family for gas & miles at the least.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Also wonder why her trip to Louisville is unofficial. I get that it's a 2 hour drive from Columbus, but if Waltz was serious about her, he would offer her an official trip, pick her up with a limo or reimburse her family for gas & miles at the least.
I'm sure Louisville would love to have her in for an official visit so they could wine and dine her and one family member; not their choice. I am guessing she wants to maximize her 5 official visits to places that aren't necessarily within reasonable driving distance.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'm sure Louisville would love to have her in for an official visit so they could wine and dine her and one family member; not their choice. I am guessing she wants to maximize her 5 official visits to places that aren't necessarily within reasonable driving distance.
That’s certainly logical, but you would think she could pair down her list to 5 schools.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That’s certainly logical, but you would think she could pair down her list to 5 schools.
What makes you think that she has not? Louisville is three hour drive from her home makes sense to that she would want to save official visits for schools that are farther away from her home. I'm just hoping she saves an official for UCONN.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I believe Horston made an unofficial visit to Tennessee a month or two ago along with Rickea Jackson. Figured Tennessee would get an official, but maybe she is saving official visits for those schools she has never visited (or require flights).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What makes you think that she has not? Louisville is three hour drive from her home makes sense to that she would want to save official visits for schools that are farther away from her home. I'm just hoping she saves an official for UCONN.
As I indicated previously, Louisville is a short drive and it may well be true that Horston doesn’t want to waste an official visit. But if you suggest that you’re being recruited by UConn, then list official trips you’re planning to take, and UConn isn’t on that list, that tells me that UConn has not offered her a scholarship and/or official recruiting trip.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As I indicated previously, Louisville is a short drive and it may well be true that Horston doesn’t want to waste an official visit. But if you suggest that you’re being recruited by UConn, then list official trips you’re planning to take, and UConn isn’t on that list, that tells me that UConn has not offered her a scholarship and/or official recruiting trip.
It was not "her" suggesting anything about being recruited by UCONN. It was Raul? that reported that UCONN coaches were watching her play just last week which was news to just about everyone of us. Horston is a consensus top 5 recruit in the the class, she is not going to gain a boost by mentioning that UCONN is watching her. I'm not sure why you are being so cynical of her recuiting approach. She is from Columbus, OH and could very well stay home and play at tOSU. I like her approach in this process and highly encouraged that UCONN was watching her play just last week.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It was not "her" suggesting anything about being recruited by UCONN. It was Raul? that reported that UCONN coaches were watching her play just last week which was news to just about everyone of us. Horston is a consensus top 5 recruit in the the class, she is not going to gain a boost by mentioning that UCONN is watching her. I'm not sure why you are being so cynical of her recuiting approach. She is form Columbus, OH and could very well stay home and play at tOSU. I like her approach in this process and highly encouraged that UCONN was watching her play just last week.
Not trying to be cynical, but I do try to read between the lines. I was incorrect to suggest that Horston dropped UConn’s name, when in fact it was her HS coach who dropped UConn’s name to a local Columbus reporter. Raul then editorialized that report to suggest that UConn was “pursuing” Horston.

I think it’s great that Shea was doing her due diligence by checking out Horston. As the guard coach, I suspect that part of what Shea was evaluating was whether or not the 6’1” Horston, who is listed as a guard on Hoopgurlz, could in fact play guard at the college level, or if she’s more of a wing.

If Horston is truly a guard, then I would think UConn would be interested. If she’s more of a wing, she would be stacked up at UConn at a position that could include MW, Gordon, CW & Brunelle by the time she gets to Storrs.

UConn looks at a lot of players, many of whom we never know about, because the player or their HS coach, or somebody else never mentions it to the local paper. A couple years ago, up my way, Geno showed up to watch 6’3” post, Olivia Owens. It was all over the Albany Times Union the next day. Nothing ever came of it and I believe Owens is heading to ND (correction - Miami)

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Not trying to be cynical, but I do try to read between the lines. I was incorrect to suggest that Horston dropped UConn’s name, when in fact it was her HS coach who dropped UConn’s name to a local Columbus reporter. Raul then editorialized that report to suggest that UConn was “pursuing” Horston.

I think it’s great that Shea was doing her due diligence by checking out Horston. As the guard coach, I suspect that part of what Shea was evaluating was whether or not the 6’1” Horston, who is listed as a guard on Hoopgurlz, could in fact play guard at the college level, or if she’s more of a wing.

If Horston is truly a guard, then I would think UConn would be interested. If she’s more of a wing, she would be stacked up at UConn at a position that could include MW, Gordon, CW & Brunelle by the time she gets to Storrs.

UConn looks at a lot of players, many of whom we never know about, because the player or their HS coach, or somebody else never mentions it to the local paper. A couple years ago, up my way, Geno showed up to watch 6’3” post, Olivia Owens. It was all over the Albany Times Union the next day. Nothing ever came of it and I believe Owens is heading to ND (correction - Miami)
Owens is heading to MD. Brunelle is the same class as Horston. Horston is kind of a mystery in terms of defined position at this point. USA basketball had her exclusively playing on the wing. In AAU she has been a PG. This late in the recruiting process for the class of 2019, Shea and UCONN are not just doing "due dilligence" there is simply no time for it. Official visit for this class can start in early April after the Championship game-only two months away.

Reaction Score

all I can say is that from watching Horston a few times I can't imagine her getting off of the UConn bench for years.........she is extremely athletic but undisciplined to the max.........if MW and Coombs can't have consistently good practices I'm not sure how Horston could.............BTW Horston very much reminds me of Rennia Davis the Tennessee freshman who had 33 points and 14 rebounds against Arkansas the other night...........

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
all I can say is that from watching Horston a few times I can't imagine her getting off of the UConn bench for years....she is extremely athletic but undisciplined to the max....if MW and Coombs can't have consistently good practices I'm not sure how Horston could...BTW Horston very much reminds me of Rennia Davis the Tennessee freshman who had 33 points and 14 rebounds against Arkansas the other night......
I can, as long as Geno and Shea are coaching her. There were similar naysayings about an athletic kid UCONN recuited out of Texas back in 2012.

Reaction Score
all I can say is that from watching Horston a few times I can't imagine her getting off of the UConn bench for years....she is extremely athletic but undisciplined to the max....if MW and Coombs can't have consistently good practices I'm not sure how Horston could...BTW Horston very much reminds me of Rennia Davis the Tennessee freshman who had 33 points and 14 rebounds against Arkansas the other night......

Mo Jeff didn't seem like a Uconn fit at one time, and she turned out great! I think if Geno is looking at Horston, they could be unsure where they stand with one of the 2020 guards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Owens is heading to MD. Brunelle is the same class as Horston. Horston is kind of a mystery in terms of defined position at this point. USA basketball had her exclusively playing on the wing. In AAU she has been a PG. This late in the recruiting process for the class of 2019, Shea and UCONN are not just doing "due dilligence" there is simply no time for it. Official visit for this class can start in early April after the Championship game-only two months away.
OK, I'll accept that Shea's trip at this point is significant. Hard to understand where Horston fits at UConn. As I pointed out, MW and Gordon are clearly wings and if Brunelle is still one of the Huskies top recruits, you're overloaded their. If Horston is a guard, from what I'm reading, she sounds more like a 2-guard. That puts her in CW's slot I would think. If she's a true pg, and Geno is not convinced that Mikayla has what it takes, then maybe you take a chance on Horston

Don't know how anyone can compare Horston to Mo. Mo was going to play the pg role or she wasn't going to play anywhere.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK, I'll accept that Shea's trip at this point is significant. Hard to understand where Horston fits at UConn. As I pointed out, MW and Gordon are clearly wings and if Brunelle is still one of the Huskies top recruits, you're overloaded their. If Horston is a guard, from what I'm reading, she sounds more like a 2-guard. That puts her in CW's slot I would think. If she's a true pg, and Geno is not convinced that Mikayla has what it takes, then maybe you take a chance on Horston
Don't know how anyone can compare Horston to Mo. Mo was going to play the pg role or she wasn't going to play anywhere.
It is not hard to understand where Horston fits at UCONN, it's impossible. Why doesn't the same apply for Brunelle? BTW at least one rating service (ProspectsNation) has Horston rated ahead of Brunelle.
Carla Berube though enough of Horston to start her at FIBA U16 with Brunelle and Boston.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is not hard to understand where Horston fits at UCONN, it's impossible. Why doesn't the same apply for Brunelle? BTW at least one rating service (ProspectsNation) has Horston rated ahead of Brunelle.
Carla Berube though enough of Horston to start her at FIBA U16 with Brunelle and Boston.

I know some people see Brunelle as a wing, but with her rebounding I can't see her not playing inside, so it's possible Uconn could have ONO, Ezi, Brunelle, Amihere, Boston, and Brink. That would be 6 players and 2 positions.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Two points.

1) Olivia Owens is headed to Maryland.
I do remember Geno heading to upstate NY to check her out early on. And MM took a trip there a bit later during a trip east. However, MM decided the Irish preferred Danielle Cosgrove more for her post needs in that class.

2) In regards to Horston and her choices to go to some schools in an unofficial mode for some/official for others, maybe it's an Ohio thing: Kierstan Bell (#4 HG, 16 PN), the 6’1” guard who was named Ms. Basketball in Ohio last year, is taking a similar tact.

She has made unofficial visits to ND, Ohio State and Michigan State (all of which are relatively nearby) and plans on taking official visits to further away-schools, including: Minnesota, Rutgers, North Carolina, South Carolina and UCLA.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I know some people see Brunelle as a wing, but with her rebounding I can't see her not playing inside, so it's possible Uconn could have ONO, Ezi, Brunelle, Amihere, Boston, and Brink. That would be 6 players and 2 positions.

I think Brunelle's a 3/4 hybrid who could play in various lineup formations.

ONO's coming. I'd be thrilled to get two of the other five though three would be striking gold. Don't think the odds of getting them all are great.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's exactly my point-impossible to project until some commitments are made. Even if Brunelle is a wing then what becomes of Megan Walker?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Brunelle has always been a 3/4 in my mind. Assuming Boston, ONO and/or Ezi or Amihere show up in Storrs, Brunelle will be more 3 than 4.

With Crystal’s shin splints, Geno has really struggled this season to find depth at guard. Neither Molly or Mikayla look ready. Right now, Lou is the 3rd guard, and either Crystal or Kia have to be on the court as the pg.

Looking ahead to next year, Kia moves on, Lou probably starts at the 2 guard, with CW hopefully developing quickly as her backup, and if Molly or Mikayla still aren’t ready, Crystal better be prepared to play 40 minutes a game as the pg.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Brunelle has always been a 3/4 in my mind. Assuming Boston, ONO and/or Ezi or Amihere show up in Storrs, Brunelle will be more 3 than 4.

With Crystal’s shin splints, Geno has really struggled this season to find depth at guard. Neither Molly or Mikayla look ready. Right now, Lou is the 3rd guard, and either Crystal or Kia have to be on the court as the pg.

Looking ahead to next year, Kia moves on, Lou probably starts at the 2 guard, with CW hopefully developing quickly as her backup, and if Molly or Mikayla still aren’t ready, Crystal better be prepared to play 40 minutes a game as the pg.
If Brunelle is more 3 than 4 where does that leave Megan Walker?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Brunelle is more 3 than 4 where does that leave Megan Walker?
I never project a freshman as a starter. There’s a two year gap between MW & Brunelle. Next year, I see Z at Center, MW as the 3 and, as I said, Lou at the 2. The following year, ONO at Center, Batouly/Ezi at the 4, MW remains the 3, CW at the 2, and hopefully Brunelle, Boston & Amihere battling for PT. A year after that, if all the BIGS that we’re talking about are in Storrs, it really won’t matter. The rest of WBB will cry “no mas” and just hand UConn the championship trophy at the start of the season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Coco: Similar conversations taking place on the "Bench" in regards to timing and visits.
Currently in an evaluation period up to end of February ("look don't talk on visits"). However, March is a contact period where one can have actual conversations. Of course, that falls when the kinds of college programs that frequent this board are involved in pay dirt -- post-season play.

So who starts showing up on campus after the championship game bears a lot of interest, even scrutiny...particularly for the prospects that still have large and/or unknown finalists lists.

ND had it's "bye" week (no Thursday game) this week and we hear MM hit the air to California to see Haley Jones and post coach Carole Owens paid a visit to 2018 Danielle Cosgrove, who will become an Owens pupil very soon. I'm wondering where else Coach O went on this metro NYC swing: Natalija Marshall at CTK?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom