2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 176 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
If she looks at the all Americans that have come through UCONN and one of the best to ever play in Sue Bird then distance should not be a issue if she wants to be coached by Geno and the best program ..then it should be a easy choice .. but then again anything can happen.. does anyone have confirmation on her final list of schools. If they sign Hailey Van Lith then Buckners is no way coming to UCONN and they will lose out on Fudd. This recruiting is going to get very interesting come November
???:confused:

Reaction Score
Van Lith is short but that's where the physical similarities with Dixon, Jefferson, and to a lesser extent Dangerfield end. Van Lith is built like a linebacker and plays with the ferocity of one.
Just talking height everyone since height is a common discussion.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'd consider OSU the underdog for Hailey Van Lith. I have no idea how much staying in the PNW is a factor for her. As far as looking at past players as an indicator of the development she'd receive at UConn vs. OSU, you have to look at the level of recruits. Slocum is really the first blue chipper OSU has had and she hasn't taken the court yet. Look at the development of some players that have come through that program that were way under the radar when they were being recruited. It's impressive. Would/will be interesting to see what Rueck can do with a different caliber of recruit. I don't think he has to take a back seat to anybody in the player development department.

Reaction Score
And your point is?? Geno isn’t going to pass on Hailey Van Lith thinking he’s going to get Buckners or Fudd.. to much of a risk to get none of those players .. a major gamble
No - he should certainly grab Hailey Van Lith if he can get her. But that's not going to scare Bueckers or Fudd off. They are potentially transcendent players with much higher ceilings than Van Lith.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No - he should certainly grab Hailey Van Lith if he can get her. But that's not going to scare Bueckers or Fudd off. They are potentially transcendent players with much higher ceilings than Van Lith.
I'd say higher ceilings, without the "much."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sometimes you can’t see the forest for the trees. Van Lith, Bueckers and Fudd are all very good players. But I would take Jordon Horston over any of them. She was the best player in the Under 17 World Championships and she can play anywhere on the floor, including pg. Horston is bigger, stronger and more athletic than the trio of players mentioned.

If Geno locks up Horston this fall, he doesn’t necessarily need Bueckers or Van Lith, although it would certainly be nice to have one of them. However, if Haley Jones decides to join Horston in Storrs, then I think you can make the case to pass on the 2 junior guards and focus only on Fudd, who’s a year behind the others.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This is a post I had on another thread and was told it would be better shared in this thread so I am copying it here.

Heres where we are in recruiting. In the ole days its was between UConn and Tenn for the top players. Today the top players are coached by their HS and AAU coaches to list the top schools and wait and wait to see who goes where and where they can go and play either right away or a year later. I would expect over the next few years you will see girls transfer if for example two top players go to a school and a third player announces before the player ahead of her commits. Coaches will have to grant playtime if they want top 10 players and they will have to find time to keep them there. Its like playing cards. The days have gone for the most part to get top players and double down on positions. Many girls want to play to get professional contracts. I would guess that UConn has more non starters playing professional then and other college team in the USA. However girls want playtime and at some colleges they wont get it in big games. The connections that some of us had in the past dont have the answers as quickly as they did in the past because players wait it out. For example if EDD and Maya committed to UConn there would be a bunch of kids committing somewhere else because they know they wouldnt start over them. Make sense. Things have changed and the top players still want to play for the top teams but dont wanna sit for more then a year some dont wanna sit at all and thats where it all begins. UConn is loaded and will be always loaded as long as Geno is there. The transition will be when Geno leaves and will he still have a voice in what goes on and how the program is run . The key is Geno for UConn and if he stays on to help develop teach and train the incoming classes. Geno is to valuable to UConn and the State of CT. He brings in revenues in TV the NCAAs tournaments TV sales of UCONN WCBB clothing parking restaurants etc. He is a valuable asset to the State of CT and they will not let him go they will want to cash in on his draw.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope our recruits stayed up to watch the Sue Bird Show. LeBron tweeted about Sue. A baller is a baller. Just ballin' out!

I expect that we will have at least 4 players on the World Cup team. We may have as many as 7.

Reaction Score
Sometimes you can’t see the forest for the trees. Van Lith, Bueckers and Fudd are all very good players. But I would take Jordon Horston over any of them. She was the best player in the Under 17 World Championships and she can play anywhere on the floor, including pg. Horston is bigger, stronger and more athletic than the trio of players mentioned.

If Geno locks up Horston this fall, he doesn’t necessarily need Bueckers or Van Lith, although it would certainly be nice to have one of them. However, if Haley Jones decides to join Horston in Storrs, then I think you can make the case to pass on the 2 junior guards and focus only on Fudd, who’s a year behind the others.
I agree with a lot of this. Mostly that Horston was the best player on an excellent loaded team.
Also getting Haley Jones give them two great guards/wings/small forwards. It does create a bit of a logjam when you add them on top or Walker and Williams. I then don't see Fudd going there especially as she seems possibly to commit to same school as Bueckers.
While Horston would be a great get and could play PG, she's not a real one.
Personally I hope they get Hailey Van Lith to replace CD.
Also obviously Boston is a big get as they need another big to complement Ono.
This would leave U Conn well positioned even without the two great players to be in Fudd and Bueckers.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno will get back on the SB train and she decommits... it’s not like it hasn’t happened In the BasketBall world, Gemelos and Colier... a verbal means nothing until they sign on the dotted line. All this drama will start coming together very soon and it will all fall into place!! We have Geno and u don’t ..

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maybe Geno will get back on the SB train and she decommits... it’s not like it hasn’t happened In the BasketBall world, Gemelos and Colier... a verbal means nothing until they sign on the dotted line. All this drama will start coming together very soon and it will all fall into place!! We have Geno and u don’t ..
If Sam de-commits, she'll got to Virginia. But she's not de-committing. Geno is wrapping up 2019 and looking forward to 2020. Unfortunately, Sam is not a good for UConn.

Reaction Score
Let it go! SB is not UConn material and Geno knows it.

Reaction Score

One of UConn's relatively few problems the past 2-3 years has been its depth. Past few years have seen one 1 All American caliber player in each class. Not sure Geno would agree that getting 2-3 of top players would be issue. If you look at the top 7-8 versus top 5, there is room.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of this. Mostly that Horston was the best player on an excellent loaded team.
Also getting Haley Jones give them two great guards/wings/small forwards. It does create a bit of a logjam when you add them on top or Walker and Williams. I then don't see Fudd going there especially as she seems possibly to commit to same school as Bueckers.
While Horston would be a great get and could play PG, she's not a real one.
Personally I hope they get Hailey Van Lith to replace CD.
Also obviously Boston is a big get as they need another big to complement Ono.
This would leave U Conn well positioned even without the two great players to be in Fudd and Bueckers.
Bronx23
Without a play on words, Boston would not "compliment" Ono but be a foundation player herself. Her physical play, rebounding, and defense is unique.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One of UConn's relatively few problems the past 2-3 years has been its depth. Past few years have seen one 1 All American caliber player in each class. Not sure Geno would agree that getting 2-3 of top players would be issue. If you look at the top 7-8 versus top 5, there is room.

Without a play on words, Boston would not "compliment" Ono but be a foundation player herself. Her physical play, rebounding, and defense is unique.
Both excellent points. Geno does not recruit without vision and what might look like duplication to us plays directly to his genius that took in 4 guards & bent one into an AA center then took in 4 small forwards & bent one into an AA PF as a sophomore.
Boston also enters college at a very fortunate time with the departures of Brown, McCowan & Shepard. Leaving only Cox ( for 1 year) as a player who could match Boston's physicality.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Both excellent points. Geno does not recruit without vision and what might look like duplication to us plays directly to his genius that took in 4 guards & bent one into an AA center then took in 4 small forwards & bent one into an AA PF as a sophomore.
Boston also enters college at a very fortunate time with the departures of Brown, McCowan & Shepard. Leaving only Cox ( for 1 year) as a player who could match Boston's physicality.

What about the Oregon State bigs or the Mississippi State bigs? McCowan is leaving.. but I think they have 1-2 bigs in Starkville that will develop into some physical beasts under Schaefer. Promise Taylor reminds me a little of Coates..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree that UConn could certainly use more depth. My point had more to do with the belief by some BY’ers that Bueckers or Van Lith were essential as future pg’s once Crystal departs. Horston, who lead the U-17’s in assists and is a fearsome defender, is a much better option at pg imo.

Consider a backcourt of Horston and CW, along with Jones on the wing, Boston and ONO up front, and there’s not a lot of PT for Bueckers or Van Lith until their junior year at UConn. Of course that would mean that Geno signs Boston, Jones & Horston this fall.

If UConn secures that tremendous trio of players this year and whiffs on Bueckers and Van Lith next year, I think we can all live with it. :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What about the Oregon State bigs or the Mississippi State bigs? McCowan is leaving.. but I think they have 1-2 bigs in Starkville that will develop into some physical beasts under Schaefer. Promise Taylor reminds me a little of Coates..
Aquino is tall not a big. Promise has great potential. Both will be under outstanding coaches but would have to make a significant leap in skill to have the impact that Shepard , Brown, McCowan has had. Of these three only McCowan has played above where she was projected coming out of highschool.

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree that UConn could certainly use more depth. My point had more to do with the belief by some BY’ers that Bueckers or Van Lith were essential as future pg’s once Crystal departs. Horston, who lead the U-17’s in assists and is a fearsome defender, is a much better option at pg imo.

Consider a backcourt of Horston and CW, along with Jones on the wing, Boston and ONO up front, and there’s not a lot of PT for Bueckers or Van Lith until their junior year at UConn. Of course that would mean that Geno signs Boston, Jones & Horston this fall.

If UConn secures that tremendous trio of players this year and whiffs on Bueckers and Van Lith next year, I think we can all live with it. :cool:

Personally I have had no difficulty living with UConn's recruits ... ever. And I agree that the three you mention would make a tremendous class. I also think that no player is a "must get" but I would be highly disappointed if I had to watch Bueckers play somewhere other than Storrs. And IMHO she gets serious minutes from day one where ever she plays.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Thanks for passing along, I think.....That is one intense glare.....:eek:

On the other hand, her intensity is one of her strongest attributes, so that kind of look should be anticipated.
Yes, Dillon, the adjective that came to me also was "intense." I would think that would be an asset on the basketball court, especially for a coach who demands you play defense. Certainly I'm no expert but for UConn followers, perhaps a comparison to JR is apt? Does Hailey Van Lith remind you of any ND products?

Reaction Score
Yes, Dillon, the adjective that came to me also was "intense." I would think that would be an asset on the basketball court, especially for a coach who demands you play defense. Certainly I'm no expert but for UConn followers, perhaps a comparison to JR is apt? Does Hailey Van Lith remind you of any ND products?
Yes, Jen is an apt comparison. Thanks. I had been wracking my brain, without success, to come up with one. Turns out I did not go far enough back in history.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom