2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 177 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
One of UConn's relatively few problems the past 2-3 years has been its depth. Past few years have seen one 1 All American caliber player in each class. Not sure Geno would agree that getting 2-3 of top players would be issue. If you look at the top 7-8 versus top 5, there is room.
I completely agree. I believe UConn needs classes that have at least 3 big time players every year and that hasn't happened since Stewie, Tuck, and Mo Jeff... KLS and Pheesa are missing a partner. Danger is missing 2. If they had those partners, we'd have more championships for sure.

Reaction Score
I completely agree. I believe UConn needs classes that have at least 3 big time players every year and that hasn't happened since Stewie, Tuck, and Mo Jeff... KLS and Pheesa are missing a partner. Danger is missing 2. If they had those partners, we'd have more championships for sure.
That's a little ridiculous. Those classes are few and far between. If UConn gets a block buster 3 person class, you can almost guarantee a weak recruiting class the next season. In theory, after a 4 year cycle of that you would have 12 elite players. No one is going to be happy with that.

Reaction Score

I'd be happy with two per class..............unfortunately we may see what lack of depth looks like again this coming season........

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
They have depth. He just doesn't like playing more than 7 in big games. At least, that is the strategy since I have been on the band wagon the last 6 years. It obviously works.

Reaction Score
They have depth. He just doesn't like playing more than 7 in big games. At least, that is the strategy since I have been on the band wagon the last 6 years. It obviously works.

if you view depth simply by the number of players on the bench I guess there's plenty, if you view depth as bench players that can play basketball at a high level then that remains to be seen.........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes, Dillon, the adjective that came to me also was "intense." I would think that would be an asset on the basketball court, especially for a coach who demands you play defense. Certainly I'm no expert but for UConn followers, perhaps a comparison to JR is apt? Does Hailey Van Lith remind you of any ND products?

As someone mentioned (Orangutan), she's solidly built like Arike, but I think Arike is bit more direct (point A to point B) in her drives to the hoops, while Hailey Van Lith will survey the situation (often while dribbling) before attacking from whatever angle works best. Like that swoop lay-in from the left side. There's a bit of Ms. Plum there (not a Domer, but I watched her last night.)

As for Domers....
Her defensive intensity reminds me a bit of Natalie "Nasty" Novosel, who was an offensively gifted player who was not afraid to get in your grille (and is still doing so in the Australian league).

And her overall intensity is very akin to a Mabrey who won't be at Notre Dame...Dara.
Dara is a bit on the smaller side and makes up for it with a focused intensity that borders on manic . Check out Virginia Tech this year and watch Mabrey's intensity.....

Reaction Score

I’m sorry, but it is just not ever going to happen and shouldn’t ever happen. Three big time players a year leaves 12 chiefs, no Indians and a multitude of transfers. Two is much more desirable; a core of eight every year. Geno has endorsed that concept several times; three works ONLY if a previous class has not performed up to expectations.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
three works ONLY if a previous class has not performed up to expectations.

From last year's class Gordon's play didn't inspire a lot of confidence, Coombs struggled and is coming off a pretty serious physical issue, and Espinoza-Hunter left. The class before that consists of Dangerfield and two bench/role players Irwin and Bent. Even the upcoming class has just two players. I think there's plenty of room for three quality players the next 2-3 classes, minimum.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Pretty much what I was expecting:

Really? I had Texas in her final 5... she took unofficial visits to South Carolina, UConn, Texas and UCLA I believe, so I knew she was really interested in those 4. I expected SC, UConn and Texas in her 5. Stanford was obvious and Notre Dame just won a title, so I figured they’d both be there. Oregon instead of Texas or UCLA is the surprise for me.... but not really once I considered who the HC of the Ducks is and his relationship to Jones’ AAU program.

Reaction Score
From last year's class Gordon's play didn't inspire a lot of confidence, Coombs struggled and is coming off a pretty serious physical issue, and Espinoza-Hunter left. The class before that consists of Dangerfield and two bench/role players Irwin and Bent. Even the upcoming class has just two players. I think there's plenty of room for three quality players the next 2-3 classes, minimum.
Yes for that 2-3 classes!
After this year over the last two classes they've graduated Kia. Gabby, AZ, KLS and Pheesa. And if you add the prior class Stewie, Moriah and Tuck. Not a bad WNBA team.
MW and CW are huge this year and next it they evolve their games as projected,
Bronx23

Reaction Score
As someone mentioned (Orangutan), she's solidly built like Arike, but I think Arike is bit more direct (point A to point B) in her drives to the hoops, while Hailey Van Lith will survey the situation (often while dribbling) before attacking from whatever angle works best. Like that swoop lay-in from the left side. There's a bit of Ms. Plum there (not a Domer, but I watched her last night.)

As for Domers....
Her defensive intensity reminds me a bit of Natalie "Nasty" Novosel, who was an offensively gifted player who was not afraid to get in your grille (and is still doing so in the Australian league).

And her overall intensity is very akin to a Mabrey who won't be at Notre Dame...Dara.
Dara is a bit on the smaller side and makes up for it with a focused intensity that borders on manic . Check out Virginia Tech this year and watch Mabrey's intensity.....
Hailey Van Lith has a toughness not seen that often in a smallish point guard and I hope she comes to U Conn as much as any of the 8-10 big names mentioned here often.
While I think she dribbles a bit much, some of that comes from what the level of her teammates are in HS. That has already begun to change as she plays with more highly skilled players. But it must be stated that her crossover dibble from both sides is wickedly good.
I hope we get her even if it means losing two greats to be Fudd and Bueckers. I know that sounds crazy but I don't think they are coming to U Conn. Also as I've lightened up on lately, Fudd's dad will come with a lot of baggage I'm not sure Geno wants or needs.
There are so many amazing players moving forward in '19, '20, 21' we can and will survive and thrive anyway.
Bronx23

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith has a toughness not seen that often in a smallish point guard and I hope she comes to U Conn as much as any of the 8-10 big names mentioned here often.
While I think she dribbles a bit much, some of that comes from what the level of her teammates are in HS. That has already begun to change as she plays with more highly skilled players. But it must be stated that her crossover dibble from both sides is wickedly good.
I hope we get her even if it means losing two greats to be Fudd and Bueckers. I know that sounds crazy but I don't think they are coming to U Conn. Also as I've lightened up on lately, Fudd's dad will come with a lot of baggage I'm not sure Geno wants or needs.
There are so many amazing players moving forward in '19, '20, 21' we can and will survive and thrive anyway.
Bronx23

Agreed...her game will continue to improve as she plays with/against consistently higher talent.

After I wrote this post, I came across extended replays of the Irish's games against Texas A&M and Oregon. It was amazing how often Arike uses the sudden quick cross to the left to create space, resulting in a drive to the basket of putting up that kind of shot-put banker.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Really? I had Texas in her final 5... she took unofficial visits to South Carolina, UConn, Texas and UCLA I believe, so I knew she was really interested in those 4. I expected SC, UConn and Texas in her 5. Stanford was obvious and Notre Dame just won a title, so I figured they’d both be there. Oregon instead of Texas or UCLA is the surprise for me.... but not really once I considered who the HC of the Ducks is and his relationship to Jones’ AAU program.

ND winning the title certainly helps ;), but I think there's a bit more to the pitch that MM and Niele have been making to Haley Jones and her parents.

"Archbishop Mitty High School is the Catholic, coeducational, college preparatory school of the Diocese of San Jose," begins its mission statement. "The School embraces the Catholic educational mission of developing community, teaching the message of the Gospels, and promoting service, peace, and justice. Through its rigorous academic program, the School prepares students for college and for responsible leadership in a global society."

Muffet is a product of Catholic education and from what I read Ms. Jones is a diligent, responsible student. During her visit to ND in late September (during a Stanford football weekend, ironically) it will be interesting to see if Ms. Jones connects with a campus like ND, which promotes many of the same philosophies that Mitty does, or if she's ready to go in another direction while continuing her schooling and athletic career.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ND winning the title certainly helps ;), but I think there's a bit more to the pitch that MM and Niele have been making to Haley Jones and her parents.

"Archbishop Mitty High School is the Catholic, coeducational, college preparatory school of the Diocese of San Jose," begins its mission statement. "The School embraces the Catholic educational mission of developing community, teaching the message of the Gospels, and promoting service, peace, and justice. Through its rigorous academic program, the School prepares students for college and for responsible leadership in a global society."

Muffet is a product of Catholic education and from what I read Ms. Jones is a diligent, responsible student. Her visit to ND in late September (during a Stanford football weekend, ironically) will be interesting to see if Ms. Jones connects with a campus like ND, which promotes many of the same philosophies that Mitty does, or if she's ready to go in another direction while continuing her schooling and athletic career.

Stay tuned.

you could very well be right but I'm choosing to think it's going to come down to her staying on the West coast at Stanford or UConn........... Hailey Van Lith will also have to make a similar geographic decision...........if they both stay home, UConn recruiting could be in a temporary bit of trouble........

Dillon77

Reaction Score
you could very well be right but I'm choosing to think it's going to come down to her staying on the West coast at Stanford or UConn...... Hailey Van Lith will also have to make a similar geographic decision......if they both stay home, UConn recruiting could be in a temporary bit of trouble...

Charlie:
I thought I was being subtle but straightforward with my last sentence but maybe not :rolleyes:....I think ND has some strong points to play which may appeal to Haley Jones. On the other hand, they may not. Don't know. Just glad ND and Jones will get to know each other with the OV in late September. After that, it's in her head and/or heart.

My gut is that this will come down to three teams, much like Megatron. Unlike that time, I believe the two non-Husky schools (Stanford and ND) probably have stronger overall hands to play than Texas and ND did last time.

However, who knows what the priorities of the prospect are, from geographic preference and coaching style to academic and/or social preferences?

From the Irish perspective, the coaching staff has September OVs from two posts, a forward (Amihere) and a wing (Jones), so one can get an indication of what the preference/need is (in their minds). Jones is a "gotta go for it" player, but I'm very glad Jackie Young will be a senior Haley Jones' freshman year, just in case the Irish need to retry in 2020.

I really try not to get too high or low. On the other hand, it helps to have Anaya Peoples and Sam Brunelle committed....;).

Stay tuned....

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score

That is some serious skill on display there. Will fit in nicely in Storrs! (Hopefully!)

Those shifty, hesitation, back and forth moves, not rushed and effective in getting the defender off balance, are similar in style to Chauncey Billups (aka Mr. Big Shot) even though he is right handed; and for those of you in my age bracket, similar to the style of play of the great (left-handed) Lenny Wilkens.

Reaction Score
Charlie:
I thought I was being subtle but straightforward with my last sentence but maybe not :rolleyes:....I think ND has some strong points to play which may appeal to Haley Jones. On the other hand, they may not. Don't know. Just glad ND and Jones will get to know each other with the OV in late September. After that, it's in her head and/or heart.

I really try not to get too high or low. On the other hand, it helps to have Anaya Peoples and Sam Brunelle committed....;).

Stay tuned....

you hit just the right notes in your explanation of ND's advantages.....................I'm just trying to stay positive from a UConn point of view as Ms Jones is a prototypical UConn star in the making that would thrive under Geno's tutelage...........from my standpoint it would be a shame to see her go anywhere else but her "rightful" place........

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score

Muffet is a product of Catholic education and from what I read Ms. Jones is a diligent, responsible student. Her visit to ND in late September (during a Stanford football weekend, ironically) will be interesting to see if Ms. Jones connects with a campus like ND, which promotes many of the same philosophies that Mitty does, or if she's ready to go in another direction while continuing her schooling and athletic career.

Stay tuned.
And yet, Dolph Schayes, Ernie Grunfeld, Art Heyman and Nancy Lieberman chose to attend college at schools other than Brandeis or Yeshiva. What, the Judges and Maccabees are not among the basketball elite? Never mind.

Reaction Score
That's a little ridiculous. Those classes are few and far between. If UConn gets a block buster 3 person class, you can almost guarantee a weak recruiting class the next season. In theory, after a 4 year cycle of that you would have 12 elite players. No one is going to be happy with that.
While most would agree with you from a historical basis, UConn has had two relatively disappointing classes back to back and there is plenty of room for three strong players this coming year and potentially the next.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Stay tuned.
While Haley Jones may we’ll end up at ND, I think the Catholic school angle is overrated. Many parents enroll their children at private/parochial schools primarily for the educational and athletic opportunities that unfortunately are not always available at public schools. Archbishop Mitty is an outstanding school in the Bay Area, with one of the very best basketball programs in CA, and it also happens to be a Catholic school.

My wife and I enrolled our son at a private, Episcopal HS with an outstanding academic reputation and an excellent athletic program, and none of us are Episcopalians.

I would also point out that Mater Dei, former home of KML and the Samuelson sisters, is also a Catholic prep school, just like Mitty.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom