2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 179 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Thanks to Stoli for the heads up on today's home visit with Jordan Horston.

Tell me about these home visits. Is there a limit to how many hours a coach can spend with a prospective recruit? I see that Shea Ralph accompanied Geno. Is there a limit to how many assistant coaches can attend the visit? Is the recruit limited in how many schools/coaches can visit? Does the NCAA have to be notified of these visits?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tell me about these home visits. Is there a limit to how many hours a coach can spend with a prospective recruit? I see that Shea Ralph accompanied Geno. Is there a limit to how many assistant coaches can attend the visit? Is the recruit limited in how many schools/coaches can visit? Does the NCAA have to be notified of these visits?
Good questions! I recall Haley Jones hosting a series of coaches a few months ago. I think that most schools had 2 coaches there. Several schools visited, somewhere between 6 and 9, I think. Her mom was eligible for a "Host of the Month" award. The neighbors had to be wondering.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's a little ridiculous. Those classes are few and far between. If UConn gets a block buster 3 person class, you can almost guarantee a weak recruiting class the next season. In theory, after a 4 year cycle of that you would have 12 elite players. No one is going to be happy with that.
I would. I would be very happy with that. In fact I'd be freaking ecstatic.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Louisville reporter Jody Demling says he hears Amihere will go to Louisville, South Carolina, or Kentucky.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Louisville reporter Jody Demling says he hears Amihere will go to Louisville, South Carolina, or Kentucky.

Ugh, hope she at least takes her scheduled visit to ND. More and more I'm thinking ND signs Tshitenge-Mutumbo and that's it for 2019.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Where did he say this? Is she taking an official visit to SC once Dawn returns from her USAB duties? I'm pretty sure that's when our next round of visits will happen. Jones, Amihere, Boston.. perhaps a few others?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Where did he say this? Is she taking an official visit to SC once Dawn returns from her USAB duties? I'm pretty sure that's when our next round of visits will happen. Jones, Amihere, Boston.. perhaps a few others?

I'll save you the legwork since I already went hunting for it :)

On a Louisville message board. Another poster claimed to have inside information that Amihere is down to Louisville and South Carolina. Demling said that he had heard Louisville, Kentucky, and South Carolina.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Pretty sure that home visits are 'unlimited' for the recruit, and typically the visit included the HC and an assistant/associate. There are more restrictions on coaches in terms of time and phone calls but don't think the specific number of recruits visited is part of that restriction.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sure those schools get a higher % of academically superior students. But that has more to do with the education they get in private prep schools whose sole goal is getting the children of the rich and powerful into a small group of universities. And the acceptance rate is partly due to the number of applicants vs the openings. That has little to do with the quality of the education they get as undergraduates, except perhaps for the student/faculty ratio. Those top universities get so many applicants because of their name. I stand by my position that it's the piece of paper and the contacts they make and not what they learn that holds the real value. And with basketball taking up most of their non-academic time I doubt many recruits socialize enough to make the sort of contacts that will get them lucrative careers after graduation.

But I respect opposing opinions.

Now let's get back to the 19/20 recruits,
That is the real kicker - their fellow students and maybe some of their professors. The alumni network might kick in for a very very small number of graduates, but the friendships that develop during 4 years in college generally last for the rest of a persons life and influence both personal and professional aspects for better or worse.

There is also a herd mentality in any small community - surround yourself with party animals and a large percentage of future drop-outs in your freshman dorm and it will up the chances of your own failure. Surround yourself with a large percentage of people who take the academic side of college seriously and your chances increase. I saw it in high schools I used to visit professionally (and the one I attended), and the same for the hierarchy of colleges.

As for the piece of paper - when I was hiring and reviewing resumes, I certainly noticed the college name but it had no effect on the final decisions - might get someone into an interview but never got them a job.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That is the real kicker - their fellow students and maybe some of their professors. The alumni network might kick in for a very very small number of graduates, but the friendships that develop during 4 years in college generally last for the rest of a persons life and influence both personal and professional aspects for better or worse.

There is also a herd mentality in any small community - surround yourself with party animals and a large percentage of future drop-outs in your freshman dorm and it will up the chances of your own failure. Surround yourself with a large percentage of people who take the academic side of college seriously and your chances increase. I saw it in high schools I used to visit professionally (and the one I attended), and the same for the hierarchy of colleges.

As for the piece of paper - when I was hiring and reviewing resumes, I certainly noticed the college name but it had no effect on the final decisions - might get someone into an interview but never got them a job.
I've always believed that you get out of a college education what you put into it. Most universities have all the same books in their libraries, offer almost all of the same majors and there are good professors everywhere. Back in the dark ages, when I went to college and grad school, I frequently found that some of the tenured professors with the greatest reputation in their fields were among the least effective teachers, while TA's and Asst Profs, working diligently towards the promised land to become tenured professors, were among the best teachers.

But that's not to say that there aren't inherent advantages to top colleges and universities like Stanford, MIT and the Ivies. Chief among them is the research opportunities available from both government and private grants in engineering, science, mathematics, the arts and countless other disciplines. One of the reasons these schools are consistently among the top colleges in the country is because of their ability to raise funding in terms of donations and research grants. A second advantage, often tied to a school's alumni, is their ability to offer quality summer internships to their students aligned with those students academic major.

My son attended a very good college to study mechanical engineering. While there he helped develop a technology under a research grant from Ford Motor Company and he secured a summer internship with General Electric's R&D Division. In addition to adding some substance to his resume, the experiences connected him directly to two Fortune 100 companies (He ended up working for GE after graduation).

Reaction Score
So I am hearing that Amihere is interested in Kentucky, SC etc. Have not hear that she has any interest in UConn this far. Do we know if she is planning a campus visit? Are we still on her consideration list?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So I am hearing that Amihere is interested in Kentucky, SC etc. Have not hear that she has any interest in UConn this far. Do we know if she is planning a campus visit? Are we still on her consideration list?
Don't know if UCONN is still on her list or if she will make an official visit to UCONN. Per this Sept 4 article.
Canadian dunking sensation to make official visit to Louisville

"She (Amihere) made an official visit to Kentucky last weekend and also has a visit set up for later in the month at Notre Dame.
She has not announced her final two official visits."

UCONN and South Carolina make sense for the other two official visits for Amihere

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith looks really good in the blue and white UConn garb doing the dribbling exercise. She's looking for an intense environment? May I suggest Camp Geno. And big crowds? We have them too. Want to meet the GOAT in person? She'll treat you to Wendy's. ;)
She can get double the Wendy's (the GOAT and the best PG of all time) :)

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Before her visit to Louisville it was stated by Demling ( our beat reporter) that she had a visit scheduled with ND. Since her visit has ended with us he has stated it is between SC, KY and us, and she is not expected to take any other visits.

Don't know if UCONN is still on her list or if she will make an official visit to UCONN. Per this Sept 4 article.
Canadian dunking sensation to make official visit to Louisville

"She (Amihere) made an official visit to Kentucky last weekend and also has a visit set up for later in the month at Notre Dame.
She has not announced her final two official visits."

UCONN and South Carolina make sense for the other two official visits for Amihere

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Before her visit to Louisville it was stated by Demling ( our beat reporter) that she had a visit scheduled with ND. Since her visit has ended with us he has stated it is between SC, KY and us, and she is not expected to take any other visits.
Rooting for her to end up at L'ville. I think it would be a good choice. Excellent coach, great facilities, tons of fan support. Plus would love to see SC and ND get shut out a bit (and of course Tennessee, but that goes without saying, even tho I just did..).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom