2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 129 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
Clark may become more important if this continues...

For the first time in the 45-year history of the Capital Classic, there will be a girls’ game, pitting a team of highly touted national underclassmen against seniors from Maryland, Virginia and the District.

The girls’ game will be Saturday at St. John’s College High School and will begin at 7 p.m.

The U.S. Futures all-star team features All-Met Player of the Year Azzi Fudd, a freshman at St. John’s regarded as one of the nation’s top recruits.

Joining Fudd on the team is Paige Bueckers, the Gatorade Player of the Year in Minnesota. Bueckers played with Fudd on the U.S. Under-16 team in 2017, and the two are close friends. Bueckers, a top point guard in the Class of 2020, will stay with Fudd for the weekend.

Samantha Brunelle, a Notre Dame commitment for the Class of 2019 and the Virginia Player of the Year from William Monroe High in Standardsville, will also be participating.

Capital Classic all-star hoops showcase to have first girls’ game in 45-year history
Well Notre dame won the first piece of the puzzle. Those three are VERY close...it will be hard to tear them apart. I think without a doubt ND is the front runner for Fudd and Bueckers:(

Reaction Score
Well Notre dame won the first piece of the puzzle. Those three are VERY close...it will be hard to tear them apart. I think without a doubt ND is the front runner for Fudd and Bueckers:(

I'm not totally buying that friends forever stuff but UConn certainly didn't help themselves with the way Brunelle's recruitment was handled...........a big mistake that could cost them two of the best players of the decade............if Clark is interested in UConn that would be great but Van Lith and Brink are the two I'd be laser focused on in the next few months...........

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Clark may become more important if this continues...

For the first time in the 45-year history of the Capital Classic, there will be a girls’ game, pitting a team of highly touted national underclassmen against seniors from Maryland, Virginia and the District.

The girls’ game will be Saturday at St. John’s College High School and will begin at 7 p.m.

The U.S. Futures all-star team features All-Met Player of the Year Azzi Fudd, a freshman at St. John’s regarded as one of the nation’s top recruits.

Joining Fudd on the team is Paige Bueckers, the Gatorade Player of the Year in Minnesota. Bueckers played with Fudd on the U.S. Under-16 team in 2017, and the two are close friends. Bueckers, a top point guard in the Class of 2020, will stay with Fudd for the weekend.

Samantha Brunelle, a Notre Dame commitment for the Class of 2019 and the Virginia Player of the Year from William Monroe High in Standardsville, will also be participating.

Capital Classic all-star hoops showcase to have first girls’ game in 45-year history
I’ll still be in Hawaii; otherwise, I’d go.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not totally buying that friends forever stuff but UConn certainly didn't help themselves with the way Brunelle's recruitment was handled......a big mistake that could cost them two of the best players of the decade..if Clark is interested in UConn that would be great but Van Lith and Brink are the two I'd be laser focused on in the next few months......
OMG! "two of the best players of the decade" ? Really? This decade?
upload_2018-4-26_22-0-51.jpeg

Reaction Score
OMG! "two of the best players of the decade" ? Really? This decade?
View attachment 30995

of all people you should know that most "experts" believe Fudd is a singular talent.............. and my opinion on Buecker is well known...............could be right up there with MoJeff,KML, KLS, Gabby ........all but Maya and Stewie who stand apart from the rest.........

Reaction Score
of all people you should know that most "experts" believe Fudd is a singular talent.... and my opinion on Buecker is well known.....could be right up there with MoJeff,KML, KLS, Gabby ...all but Maya and Stewie who stand apart from the rest....
I read in an article about Bueckers that Geno told her HS coach, "she's farther along at this point than Diana Taurasi." That article has been quoted in this thread a few times.

Reaction Score

There is ZERO doubt in my mind that Bueckers and Fudd end up at ND. It is the worst kept secret in the recruiting world as well. Everybody knows they are headed to ND.

Reaction Score
I'm not totally buying that friends forever stuff but UConn certainly didn't help themselves with the way Brunelle's recruitment was handled......a big mistake that could cost them two of the best players of the decade..if Clark is interested in UConn that would be great but Van Lith and Brink are the two I'd be laser focused on in the next few months......

What is it about Brunelle's recruitment that was a "big mistake" by UConn? Schools lose interest all the time for a myriad of reasons. Nothing new here.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Not saying Uconn's not interested but unfortunately no mention in this interview with her high school coach:

From Des Moines Register Feb 2018

Dowling Catholic practices and games draw Division I scouts. Coach Kristin Meyer said seven of the top 10 nationally ranked teams have watched her. At a home game against powerhouse Bishop Miege of Shawnee Mission, Kansas, about a dozen coaches sat in the bleachers of the West Des Moines school

A who's-who of women's colleges have contacted the Clark family or made the trek to the West Des Moines school: Iowa, Iowa State and Drake, along with coaches of top-10 teams Notre Dame, Oregon and UCLA.

Based on what I've heard/read over the last year, the interest between Ms. Clark and Notre Dame is mutual. She also took part in that huge recruiting event last October in South Bend centered around the ND/NC State football game. On top of the basketball interest, her high school (Dowling Catholic) regularly sends students to attend Notre Dame on a fairly steady basis.

Reaction Score
Was is it about Brunelles recruitment was a "big mistake" by UConn? Schools lose interest all the time for a myriad of reasons. Nothing new here.

You offer the number one player in the nation that also is closely connected to several other incredibly talented players that you dearly want in your program and then supposedly cut off communication with her even though she has shown serious interest.........and then when she chooses another suitor after you backed off, somebody denies that she was ever even offered..........now it may not have been a UConn source that denied it but UConn should have gotten in front of this and made nice because now you have alienated the other two players and just looked bad .........
Based on what I've heard/read over the last year, the interest between Ms. Clark and Notre Dame is mutual. She also took part in that huge recruiting event last October in South Bend centered around the ND/NC State football game. On top of the basketball interest, her high school (Dowling Catholic) regularly sends students to attend Notre Dame on a fairly steady basis.

correct you are sir.............

Reaction Score
How would you know if Brunelle's recruitment was handled wrong? Until Brunelle shows what she's got against college competition, you can't call it a mistake. What if she turns out to be mediocre? Then would it be a mistake by McGraw? And what if she plays similar minutes as Walker did this year as a freshman because she's mediocre? Would the other two kids back off? Way too much speculation at this point to worry about.

Reaction Score
What is it about Brunelle's recruitment that was a "big mistake" by UConn? Schools lose interest all the time for a myriad of reasons. Nothing new here.

if one believes the story as it appears to the WBB world............UConn offers the #1 recruit in the country, then unceremoniously cuts off communication pushing the player into the arms of Notre Dame.........and then possibly thru no fault of their own, some reporter writes that UConn denies ever even offering which leads to a stern rebuke from that player in the press making UConn look petty in the least...........but when that player has close relationships with two other extremely talented recruits that UConn dearly wants you've now alienated those two, very possibly pushing them into the arms of ND too.........unfortunately even if the story is not true, it's the story that's out there.......I've heard it repeated in AAU circles already.........not good......

Reaction Score
There is ZERO doubt in my mind that Bueckers and Fudd end up at ND. It is the worst kept secret in the recruiting world as well. Everybody knows they are headed to ND.
There is no proof to this statement and absolutely no need for such provocative language unsubstantiated.

Reaction Score
How would you know if Brunelle's recruitment was handled wrong? Until Brunelle shows what she's got against college competition, you can't call it a mistake. What if she turns out to be mediocre? Then would it be a mistake by McGraw? And what if she plays similar minutes as Walker did this year as a freshman because she's mediocre? Would the other two kids back off? Way too much speculation at this point to worry about.

I've said before there's a long time between recruiting classes so anything can happen but frankly UConn just gave ND and other schools an opening that they didn't have to if her "derecruitment" was handled more professionally.........

Reaction Score
I've said before there's a long time between recruiting classes so anything can happen but frankly UConn just gave ND and other schools an opening that they didn't have to if her "derecruitment" was handled more professionally....
Do you know for sure that it wasn't handled professionally? I've only seen one side of the story.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I live in the DC area and I think Geno made the right decision to cool off on Brunelle and focus on Jones. There is some major hype for Brunelle in the rankings and it just doesn't seem legit when you watch her.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I live in the DC area and I think Geno made the right decision to cool off on Brunelle and focus on Jones. There is some major hype for Brunelle in the rankings and it just doesn't seem legit when you watch her.
I agree, I thought I was the only one. Jones and Owusu(Maryland commit) look better than her in my honest unbiased opinion. I just didn’t see it.

Reaction Score

Worst kept secret in the recruiting world?
Take a deep breath. There is no evidence of this being the case.
I'll throw out a guess. PB and Fudd end up at UCONN, despite their friendship with Sam). On top of that, I think if Bueckers doesn't play for Geno, she stays home and plays for the Minnesota Gophers.

Reaction Score
if one believes the story as it appears to the WBB world..UConn offers the #1 recruit in the country, then unceremoniously cuts off communication pushing the player into the arms of Notre Dame....and then possibly thru no fault of their own, some reporter writes that UConn denies ever even offering which leads to a stern rebuke from that player in the press making UConn look petty in the least......but when that player has close relationships with two other extremely talented recruits that UConn dearly wants you've now alienated those two, very possibly pushing them into the arms of ND too....unfortunately even if the story is not true, it's the story that's out there..I've heard it repeated in AAU circles already....not good.
Big stretch based on no factual info. He said, she said, they said....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I agree, I thought I was the only one. Jones and Owusu(Maryland commit) look better than her in my honest unbiased opinion. I just didn’t see it.

Interesting. Muffet McGraw, Jeff Walz, Brenda Frese, Dawn Staley, Dan Olson, ProspectsNation, BlueStar, and ASGR all saw it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom