2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 117 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
How did Leilani play in the 3 X 3 tournament? I believe this was her first exposure to USA basketball.

I didn't get to see her and there were really no reports on players so I don't know. Her team had some success though.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller:

A team made up of UConn recruiting targets won the USA Basketball Women’s 3x3 U18 National Championship in Colorado Springs.

Hailey Van Lith from Wenatchee, Wash., was named the tournament MVP to help Team Quest to a 7-0 record. She was joined by fellow 2020 prospect Paige Bueckers of Hopkins High School in Minnetonka, Minn., and class of 2019 recruits Aliyah Boston, who plays at Worcester Academy and Samantha Brunelle, out of Monroe High School in Fredericksburg, Va.

Reaction Score
If we cooled down on Brunelle it’s because Ezi is coming to Storrs. It don’t matter who comes to UConn as long as we have Geno that’s all I care about.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
If we cooled down on Brunelle it’s because Ezi is coming to Storrs. It don’t matter who comes to UConn as long as we have Geno that’s all I care about.

Not sure that this is entirely true.

Ezi Magbegor is a long and agile faceup-4 (power forward). Sam Brunelle is a versatile perimeter threat, but primarily a 3 (small forward) in college. They do not play the same position, and UConn is not in a scholarship crunch.

Now, perhaps Brunelle is concerned about her role on the team, with the talent of Williams, Walker, Nelson-Ododa, and Magbegor (with a senior Dangerfield at the point). Certainly a possibility. But a commitment from Ezi does not necessarily correlate to a "cooling down" on Brunelle (assuming that UConn has, in fact, "cooled down" on Brunelle).

Reaction Score
Not sure that this is entirely true.

Ezi Magbegor is a long and agile faceup-4 (power forward). Sam Brunelle is a versatile perimeter threat, but primarily a 3 (small forward) in college. They do not play the same position, and UConn is not in a scholarship crunch.

Now, perhaps Brunelle is concerned about her role on the team, with the talent of Williams, Walker, Nelson-Ododa, and Magbegor (with a senior Dangerfield at the point). Certainly a possibility. But a commitment from Ezi does not necessarily correlate to a "cooling down" on Brunelle (assuming that UConn has, in fact, "cooled down" on Brunelle).
"Concerned about her role on the team" makes some sense to me. If she is, it puts her in a difficult position to get any clarity because as we know, that's something that Auriemma supposedly will not discuss with recruits. Could be a stalemate situation.

Reaction Score
Geno and Chris don't drop balls when it comes to recruiting.
Sure they do. But not because they fumbled it. They drop them intentionally.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"ONE of the world basketball’s best and most talked-about rising stars is staying in Australia.

Teenager Ezi Magbegor – who has been described by Australian Opals coach Sandy Brondello as “future of the Opals” – has signed with WNBL club Melbourne Boomers for three years.

Magbegor – last season’s WNBL rookie of the year with Canberra - was strongly tipped to move to the US to play college basketball, having visited a number of top line schools over the past few months.

But Magbegor said the chance to be mentored by Australian basketball legend and Boomers assistant general manager Lauren Jackson swayed her decision."

Link: Category: | Herald Sun

Reaction Score
"ONE of the world basketball’s best and most talked-about rising stars is staying in Australia.

Teenager Ezi Magbegor – who has been described by Australian Opals coach Sandy Brondello as “future of the Opals” – has signed with WNBL club Melbourne Boomers for three years.

Magbegor – last season’s WNBL rookie of the year with Canberra - was strongly tipped to move to the US to play college basketball, having visited a number of top line schools over the past few months.

But Magbegor said the chance to be mentored by Australian basketball legend and Boomers assistant general manager Lauren Jackson swayed her decision."

Link: Category: | Herald Sun

Sorry @CocoHusky

Reaction Score
Not everyone wants to be coached and trained by one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time, I guess. If it were my profession I'd bend over backwards to make that happen, but then again I'll never be a pro baller since I keep going undrafted year after year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not everyone wants to be coached and trained by one the greatest basketball coaches of all time, I guess. If it were my profession I'd bend over backwards to make that happen, but then again I'll never be a pro baller since I keep going undrafted year after year.

Getting mentored by the greatest player ever from your country, getting paid, while staying home with your family and friends, isn't bad either.

Reaction Score
Do you guys think that we still have a shot with Brunelle or do you think that ship has sailed?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Do you guys think that we still have a shot with Brunelle or do you think that ship has sailed?
Based on my reading of the BY, I think it’s possible but no longer probable.

But I want the entire 3x3 team: Brunelle, Boston, Bueckers, and VanLith.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nothing to be sorry about. UCONN is going to just fine without Ezi! ONO is dunking and therefore healthy. CW and ONO will be part of the UCONN rotation next year out of necessity.
That is a solid 7 man rotation which is not much different than this year the notable exception being UCONN losing its 2 best defenders to graduation in Kia and Gabby. The landscape also changes significantly, among the teams from this season only ND, Baylor & Oregon will put more talent on the floor. New transfer rules are also coming for next season which could further alter the landscape.

Reaction Score
Not everyone wants to be coached and trained by one the greatest basketball coaches of all time, I guess. If it were my profession I'd bend over backwards to make that happen, but then again I'll never be a pro baller since I keep going undrafted year after year.

The funny thing was how many people were talking like it was a lock she was coming. I thought there was some inside info I was not privy too.

Reaction Score

I don't think we ever had a shot with Brunelle, that is why Coach Auriemma backed off on recruiting her hard. Coach Auriemma has said multiple times that his recruiting method is to find the players that are a fit, have shown interest in UConn, and then go after them real hard and to not waste time on players you have no chance of getting. I think Brunelle is a huge ND lean and that is why UConn is not recruiting her as hard anymore. You have to remember these coaches hear a lot more than we do.

I think UConn ends up with Amihere, Jones, and Boston for the 2019 class.

Reaction Score
Nothing to be sorry about. UCONN is going to just fine without Ezi! ONO is dunking and therefore healthy. CW and ONO will be part of the UCONN rotation next year out of necessity.
That is a solid 7 man rotation which is not much different than this year the notable exception being UCONN losing its 2 best defenders to graduation in Kia and Gabby. The landscape also changes significantly, among the teams from this season only ND, Baylor & Oregon will put more talent on the floor. New transfer rules are also coming for next season which could further alter the landscape.

I know your right, but you were her biggest champion and I thought you'd be a bit bummed. I just wanted to make sure your ok. Downing some cadbury eggs always makes me feel better.
I will feel the same way if BB sails to ND.
I just wanted to make sure you were good..

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Getting mentored by the greatest player ever from your country, getting paid, while staying home with your family and friends, isn't bad either.
Yea, that's a tough one to pass up.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Even for the Boneyard, this particular sub-thread about Brunelle is groaning under a load of assumptions, unsupported claims to "inside" knowledge, maybe's, speculations, could be's, and probablies — often masquerading as confident assertions. I just hope it doesn't produce sleepless nights or ulcers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The funny thing was how many people were talking like it was a lock she was coming. I thought there was some inside info I was not privy too.
I think you are over gloating here. I don't ever recall anyone saying Ezi coming to UCONN was a lock. Many more people including the UCLA fans on the board said that if Ezi were leaving Australia it would be for UCONN. No inside information required for this just a reasonable consideration of the merits of each program starting with Geno as her coach.

Reaction Score
I think you are over gloating here. I don't ever recall anyone saying Ezi coming to UCONN was a lock. Many more people including the UCLA fans on the board said that if Ezi were leaving Australia it would be for UCONN. No inside information required for this just a reasonable consideration of the merits of each program starting with Geno as her coach.
Coco- Posters had her in there starting line up for next year! I was like wait what? Did she commit? I had to scroll the threads thinking I missed something. I talking about real starting line ups not like if we get her i would slide her in here type of thing..... Just the vibe I was getting as I read the blogs...

Reaction Score
Even for the Boneyard, this particular sub-thread about Brunelle is groaning under a load of assumptions, unsupported claims to "inside" knowledge, maybe's, speculations, could be's, and probablies — often masquerading as confident assertions. I just hope it doesn't produce sleepless nights or ulcers.
Im not giving up on BB until she chooses another team to play for. When She does I will wish her the best and move on. Until then I'm still hoping for her to land in storrs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco- Posters had her in there starting line up for next year!
I went back and checked, could not find a single proposed starting lineup for 2018-19 season which included Ezi.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom