2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 115 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
One significant thing I noticed relevant to Haley Jones's recruitment is her GPA mentioned in the blurb for her Gatorade California POY honor (a 3.26 -- Haley Jones 2017 - 2018 CALIFORNIA GIRLS BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE YEAR). I thought Stanford might be a favorite for signing Haley, and earlier in her career she was said to have a 4.0 GPA, but a 3.26 is not likely to pass through admissions for Stanford. Although the Stanford staff still had a home visit with Haley on March 11 per her Twitter account, it seems unlikely to me now.

I could see UConn leading for Haley Jones now, and based on some other posts in this thread, it's possible UConn is prioritizing her over Samantha Brunelle. Mitty is very much a sports powerhouse in that area, so moving on to a program like UConn makes a lot of sense.

I saw someone on the Duke board suggest Haley could ascend to #1 in the class for 2019. Anybody have thoughts on that? She certainly has had a great year.

Reaction Score
One significant thing I noticed relevant to Haley Jones's recruitment is her GPA mentioned in the blurb for her Gatorade California POY honor (a 3.26 -- Haley Jones 2017 - 2018 CALIFORNIA GIRLS BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE YEAR). I thought Stanford might be a favorite for signing Haley, and earlier in her career she was said to have a 4.0 GPA, but a 3.26 is not likely to pass through admissions for Stanford. Although the Stanford staff still had a home visit with Haley on March 11 per her Twitter account, it seems unlikely to me now.

I could see UConn leading for Haley Jones now, and based on some other posts in this thread, it's possible UConn is prioritizing her over Samantha Brunelle. Mitty is very much a sports powerhouse in that area, so moving on to a program like UConn makes a lot of sense.

I saw someone on the Duke board suggest Haley could ascend to #1 in the class for 2019. Anybody have thoughts on that? She certainly has had a great year.

Most sports have a number of admissions exemptions they can use to get kids admitted that normally wouldn't.

Reaction Score
Most sports have a number of admissions exemptions they can use to get kids admitted that normally wouldn't.
I don't know how far Stanford admissions will go to make an exception. I know that an exception was made by Stanford admissions for a player with a 3.5 GPA. Lower, we'll have to wait and see.

Reaction Score

It depends on how her school calculates GPA. If she just took regular courses then probably you are right but if she took a large load of college courses then maybe her grades are fine. You can see kids take similar courses, earn similar grades but have very different GPAs because school districts can really vary. Admissions department can adjust for those variances. Some schools offer .5 extra if you take AP courses. Some offer 1.0 extra if you take AP courses, so if you got a B in the class some will give .5 boost to B+, some give 1.0 boost to A. Some report their GPA unweighted, without those boosts, some report weighted, with those boosts. Also SAT factors in because I think the higher your SAT score the lower your GPA can probably be.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I could see UConn leading for Haley Jones now, and based on some other posts in this thread, it's possible UConn is prioritizing her over Samantha Brunelle. Mitty is very much a sports powerhouse in that area, so moving on to a program like UConn makes a lot of sense. I saw someone on the Duke board suggest Haley could ascend to #1 in the class for 2019. Anybody have thoughts on that? She certainly has had a great year.
I hope you are right that UCONN is leading for Haley but I would not read too much into that 3.26 GPA as disqualifying her from Stanford. Standford, Duke, & Princeton and some other schools have a " qualification" process that accesses the recruits likely hood of gaining admissions. Those school don't get this far ( home visit on March 11, 2018) unless that process has been completed in a positive sense. Put another way , you are not going to find Tara in the home of a recruit in March unless Stanford has assured Tara that Haley has a great shot or has already been through that qualification process for admissions.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stanford admissions is flexible. I know that from my son’s information visit. I don’t know how flexible, though. The majority of applicants with 4.0 GPAs are rejected there, just as at most Ivies. I’ve heard from multiple sources that Duke admission is far more flexible for athletes.

Reaction Score

You're kidding about the GPA right? I know of several Ivy League players that barely had a 3.0 GPAs.............if you can play they'll figure out a way............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford admissions is flexible. I know that from my son’s information visit. I don’t know how flexible, though. The majority of applicants with 4.0 GPAs are rejected there, just as at most Ivies. I’ve heard from multiple sources that Duke admission is far more flexible for athletes.

"You will need exceptionally good grades to get into Stanford University. The average high school GPA of the admitted freshman class at Stanford University was 4.18 on the 4.0 scale indicating that primarily A students are accepted and ultimately attend."
Stanford University - Admission Requirements, SAT and ACT Scores, GPA and chance of acceptance

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You're kidding about the GPA right? I know of several Ivy League players that barely had a 3.0 GPAs...if you can play they'll figure out a way..
Not Stanford, not Duke, not Princeton, not Penn, not The US Military academies, not Vandy, not Princeton ... Those are the school that will not compromise academic integrity because they believe the ability of any student to be sucessful compete and graduate is most important. Yes I am speaking from personal experience.

Reaction Score
Not Stanford, not Duke, not Princeton, not Penn, not The US Military academies, not Vandy, not Princeton ... Those are the school that will not compromise academic integrity because they believe the ability of any student to be sucessful compete and graduate is most important. Yes I am speaking from personal experience.

Just cause u have a 3.2 GPA and not a 4.0 doesn't mean your not very intelligent nor does it mean you don't have other qualities or make ups that are unique that would really inhance a schools campus. Sports reference Derek Jeter. He's not Arod but look at the intangibles he brings!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I know of several Duke athletes with high school GPAs under 3.0. I tutored a football player at Penn who had well under a 3.0, was admitted, but didn’t finish.

As the Stanford Admissions staff said, they look for people who are world class in something (athletics, music, software design, etc.). They also look for “good kids” who would be “glue” for the Stanford community. That said, they prefer that those people be solid academically. I know from first hand experience at Brown that applicants with different GPAs are admitted. I’m not sure exactly how low they go. They look at the “whole person.” It’s not a process of admitting only kids with 4.0 GPAs and 1,600 SATs. In fact, neither of those alone is a guarantee of getting into Brown.

Reaction Score
You're kidding about the GPA right? I know of several Ivy League players that barely had a 3.0 GPAs...if you can play they'll figure out a way..

Not at all kidding. I follow Stanford's recruiting pretty closely and the lowest GPA I've heard of for a Stanford WBB signee was a 3.5 (at a fairly reputable private high school).

I don't know why, but I've heard that Stanford football is able to get recruits admitted with lower grades than what we see/hear about for the WBB program.

I don't doubt that student-athletes with 3.0's have gotten into Duke (or Notre Dame, or maybe Northwestern, etc.). But I am basically certain there have not been any WBB players with 3.0's or below who end up at Stanford (at least not in the last 15 years that I've been following).

Furthermore, I can think of a case where a prospect did not have the grades/transcript for Stanford, but ended up going to Harvard.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just cause u have a 3.2 GPA and not a 4.0 doesn't mean your not very intelligent nor does it mean you don't have other qualities or make ups that are unique that would really inhance a schools campus. Sports reference Derek Jeter. He's not Arod but look at the intangibles he brings!!
Couple of vast incorrect leaps here. GPA not the same as intelligence. GPA cannot be standardize across the the variety of school districts in the US. Regardless of what unique qualities you bring to campus those school I mentioned consider it paramount that you have a realistic chance to compete and graduate. You might be an accomplished chemist for example but to graduate from these schools you are still going to have to know how to write a paper. You might be a lights out shooter but you will still need to be able to compose an essay. Everyone brings intangibles to campus. The intangibles are not what allow you to graduate, being able to do the basics is what give you a chance to graduate. The GPA, imperfect as it is, is an indication of your ability to do the basics.

Reaction Score

While Duke may not be that far behind Stanford in terms of academic standards in general, when it comes to student-athletes (or at least WBB), Duke gives a lot more slack for athletes than Stanford does. Off hand, I can think of two Duke WBB players within the past few years whose first choice was Stanford, but ended up playing for Duke because they did not get through Stanford admissions. I've seen several other WBB players who did not get admitted to Stanford go on to earn conference academic honors in college.

You also need to take advanced (AP, honors, etc.) courses in high school to be considered for Stanford admission. In fact, Lisa Leslie wrote about this in her memoir. She was a good student and there was significant mutual interest with Stanford, but she decided against their request during her recruitment to change her class schedule (add some advanced courses and take a zero period class to accommodate it) and thus they parted ways.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kat0189 seems to have the best info on Stanford admissions. I’ll assume that 3.26 is accurate. I know nothing about Haley’s SATs. My guess, before seeing Kat’s post was that 3.26 is possible. I don’t think Tara would be pursuing her if 3.26 was clearly too low. I think a 4.26 would be a clear admit, whereas a 2.26 would be a clear reject (even for LeBron James). We’ll see in time.

Reaction Score
Couple of vast incorrect leaps here. GPA not the same as intelligence. GPA cannot be standardize across the the variety of school districts in the US. Regardless of what unique qualities you bring to campus those school I mentioned consider it paramount that you have a realistic chance to compete and graduate. You might be an accomplished chemist for example but to graduate from these schools you are still going to have to know how to write a paper. You might be a lights out shooter but you will still need to be able to compose an essay. Everyone brings intangibles to campus. The intangibles are not what allow you to graduate, being able to do the basics is what give you a chance to graduate. The GPA, imperfect as it is, is an indication of your ability to do the basics.

I guess I'm so vastly incorrect here I'll have to bow to your intelligence on this one.

Reaction Score
Kat0189 seems to have the best info on Stanford admissions. I’ll assume that 3.26 is accurate. I know nothing about Haley’s SATs. My guess, before seeing Kat’s post was that 3.26 is possible. I don’t think Tara would be pursuing her if 3.26 was clearly too low. I think a 4.26 would be a clear admit, whereas a 2.26 would be a clear reject (even for LeBron James). We’ll see in time.

Yes, it is puzzling that Tara would still make an in-home visit with Haley Jones if it appeared she did not have the grades to get admitted. Though I still think 3.26 is well below what one would need to gain admission even as a star WBB player, it is possible that it's either a mistake or maybe that it represents her unweighted GPA for one semester while perhaps her cumulative GPA is higher.

Anna Wilson (c/o 2016) was the first WBB recruit to verbal early to Stanford (her sophomore year). Before her, all Stanford verbal commitments came after the recruit's junior year grades were completed and reviewed. In a later interview with a Stanford assistant coach, it was explained that Wilson herself asked if she could publicly make a verbal commitment before officially being admitted.

Reaction Score
"You will need exceptionally good grades to get into Stanford University. The average high school GPA of the admitted freshman class at Stanford University was 4.18 on the 4.0 scale indicating that primarily A students are accepted and ultimately attend."
Stanford University - Admission Requirements, SAT and ACT Scores, GPA and chance of acceptance

I don't think that athletes or others with "special" abilities are necessarily held to those same lofty standards at most of the top schools............our neighbor's daughter goes to Princeton and she wasn't ranked in the top 75 kids in her class but was an excellent debater...............her GPA was under 4.o and her SATs were good but not great.........I won't even go into the athletes that I know were middle of the pack students who are currently playing for two of the top Ivy League schools...............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess I'm so vastly incorrect here I'll have to bow to your intelligence on this one.
It's hard , in fact impossible, to access intelligence across cyberspace. What I'm trying to convey is experience not intelligence.

Reaction Score
Not at all kidding. I follow Stanford's recruiting pretty closely and the lowest GPA I've heard of for a Stanford WBB signee was a 3.5 (at a fairly reputable private high school).

I don't know why, but I've heard that Stanford football is able to get recruits admitted with lower grades than what we see/hear about for the WBB program.

I don't doubt that student-athletes with 3.0's have gotten into Duke (or Notre Dame, or maybe Northwestern, etc.). But I am basically certain there have not been any WBB players with 3.0's or below who end up at Stanford (at least not in the last 15 years that I've been following).

Furthermore, I can think of a case where a prospect did not have the grades/transcript for Stanford, but ended up going to Harvard.

Stanford or any other top school could not field competitive sports teams if they offered no academic exceptions............they may have higher standards then other programs but there simply aren't enough terrific 4.0 GPA athletes to go around...............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think that athletes or others with "special" abilities are necessarily held to those same lofty standards at most of the top schools..our neighbor's daughter goes to Princeton and she wasn't ranked in the top 75 kids in her class but was an excellent debater.....her GPA was under 4.o and her SATs were good but not great....I won't even go into the athletes that I know were middle of the pack students who are currently playing for two of the top Ivy League schools.....
There are always exception to the "general" admissions requirements at all colleges including the ones I mentioned for a bunch of different reasons. One of the biggest (as I'm sure you know) is having parent that are alumni or work for those schools.

Reaction Score
There are always exception to the "general" admissions requirements at all colleges including the ones I mentioned for a bunch of different reasons. One of the biggest (as I'm sure you know) is having parent that are alumni or work for those schools.

know about it............................I'm counting on it!!!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do not have any inside knowledge of the Stanford process but do know something of the high Ivies. With the Ivies and I suspect with Stanford the admissions process is complex and no single factor is an absolute determinant - GPA is but one of the factors, as are SATs, extra curricular activities, etc.

The admissions process creates a pool of 'acceptable' candidates that is much larger than the eventual class size and then that pool is winnowed down. My understanding is that Stanford and the high Ivies require their athletes to pass the standard of getting into that initial pool. And I suspect while the average GPA is 4.0 or whatever, someone with a 3.1 but with 1400 on SATs would be acceptable if the other criteria being judged were also outstanding.

Certainly there is a universe of athletes that based on academics are not available for Tara to recruit, just as Uconn WCBB tends to shy away from some recruits based on academic issues - same issue, just different level of requirements.

Reaction Score
Stanford or any other top school could not field competitive sports teams if they offered no academic exceptions..they may have higher standards then other programs but there simply aren't enough terrific 4.0 GPA athletes to go around.....

Of Stanford's current roster, 11 of the players went to high school in the US w/ the 4.0 GPA scale:
Williams - 4.0
Romano - 4.3
Carrington - 4.53
Moschkau - 4.0
Dodson - unknown gpa, valedictorian of class
Coffee - 3.9
McPhee - 4.0
Johnson - 4.0
Fingall - 4.6
Wilson - unknown gpa
Sniezek - 3.0 (??)

Many of these marks are listed in their Stanford bio's, but Sniezek's & a couple others from news articles

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stanford or any other top school could not field competitive sports teams if they offered no academic exceptions..they may have higher standards then other programs but there simply aren't enough terrific 4.0 GPA athletes to go around.....
That is simply not true for Women's College basketball @ Stanford and continues a prominent stereotype, misconception, and injustice to athletes in general and African American athletes more acutely. The reality is that many highly regarded academic institutions can and do field competitive athletics teams and uphold the academic standards without compromise. The other reality is that athletes (especially women) are graduating from these institutions at a far higher rate than the general student body. The perception/stereotype at many of these institutions (if not most) is so pervasive that for some African-American students a common “introductory” question asked only of AA is: What sport do you play? The inference, that question and the stereotype from which it is derived are all wrong, no matter how pervasive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom