2019/20 UConn Recruiting | Page 116 | The Boneyard

2019/20 UConn Recruiting

Reaction Score
Of Stanford's current roster, 11 of the players went to high school in the US w/ the 4.0 GPA scale:
Williams - 4.0
Romano - 4.3
Carrington - 4.53
Moschkau - 4.0
Dodson - unknown gpa, valedictorian of class
Coffee - 3.9
McPhee - 4.0
Johnson - 4.0
Fingall - 4.6
Wilson - unknown gpa
Sniezek - 3.0 (??)

Many of these marks are listed in their Stanford bio's, but Sniezek's & a couple others from news articles

very impressive indeed..............so I guess ole' Haley better get those long johns and winter jackets ready for those New England winters!!!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
very impressive indeed....so I guess ole' Haley better get those long johns and winter jackets ready for those New England winters!!!!
Why, is Haley considering Harvard also?

Reaction Score
That is simply not true for Women's College basketball @ Stanford and continues a prominent stereotype, misconception, and injustice to athletes in general and African American athletes more acutely. The reality is that many highly regarded academic institutions can and do field competitive athletics teams and uphold the academic standards without compromise. The other reality is that athletes (especially women) are graduating from these institutions at a far higher rate than the general student body. The perception/stereotype at many of these institutions (if not most) is so pervasive that for some African-American students a common “introductory” question asked only of AA is: What sport do you play? The inference, that question and the stereotype from which it is derived are all wrong, no matter how pervasive.

I would think women's basketball would be the "easiest" team to find qualified student athletes although I'm sure it is not easy at all to find quality players/students at that level............was really speaking more about football where you have 40-50 students on each team..........as I said before there are prominent Ivy League schools taking students with GPAs well below what was listed at Stanford............

Reaction Score
Not Stanford, not Duke, not Princeton, not Penn, not The US Military academies, not Vandy, not Princeton ... Those are the school that will not compromise academic integrity because they believe the ability of any student to be sucessful compete and graduate is most important. Yes I am speaking from personal experience.
Back in 1999 when our men's team won their first national title, the average SAT score for the Stanford men's basketball was 1300, the average SAT score for Duke was 860 and I don't know how many Dookies eventually graduated but I would venture not many. Yes, I'm speaking from personal experience.

Reaction Score
very impressive indeed....so I guess ole' Haley better get those long johns and winter jackets ready for those New England winters!!!!

Sniezek was a sharp student who graduated from one of the finest, elite private schools in DC. She was actively recruited by Harvard ergo she had the academic quals for Stanford.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
If anyone has a subscription to Prospects Nation they just put up an article on Jones' home visits:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
If anyone has a subscription to Prospects Nation they just put up an article on Jones' home visits:

I will be interested to see where her top 5 are?? Does she stay on the west coast or does she come to the east coast? Maybe a mix of both?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
So I have a minor fact to report, and then a question to ask:

At the Albany game today, while walking the corridor, I walked past a very athletic -looking young black woman whom I would guess to be 17 or 18 years old and 5-11 to 6 feet tall. She was wearing a UConn sweatshirt.

Does that description fit any known recruiting target? Does it make sense that any recruiting target would be at the game in Albany today?

Reaction Score
Back in 1999 when our men's team won their first national title, the average SAT score for the Stanford men's basketball was 1300, the average SAT score for Duke was 860 and I don't know how many Dookies eventually graduated but I would venture not many. Yes, I'm speaking from personal experience.
Whether SAT scores correlate to anything beyond freshman grades is a very debated subject right now. And I doubt if they have any predictive significance at all when you factor in the academic support systems in place at top D-1 schools. After all, do you think the Alabama football team has higher SAT scores than Duke’s basketball team, and Alabama manages to graduate most of their players. And , please, no arguments about the academic rigors of elite schools. I’ve taught at two of them. There are plenty of easy courses available everywhere. After all, children of rich alumni need to graduate, too. :)

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score

At the Albany game today, while walking the corridor, I walked past a very athletic -looking young black woman whom I would guess to be 17 or 18 years old and 5-11 to 6 feet tall. She was wearing a UConn sweatshirt.

Does that description fit any known recruiting target? Does it make sense that any recruiting target would be at the game in Albany today?
How far is Albany from Ossining? Don't they have a player that UConn has interest in? Lot of the prospects they are looking at are at the 3 on 3 tourney.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sniezek was a sharp student who graduated from one of the finest, elite private schools in DC. She was actively recruited by Harvard ergo she had the academic quals for Stanford.
Marta is not someone we were questioning, as far as I know. I followed her career in D.C.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's pretty close to what I've been led to believe.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Could be Aubrey Griffin from Ossining.

I saw someone who looked like Amari Deberry to me. She was walking up the steps toward the concourse. But when we were on the same level, she looked about 6'0" or slightly taller, not 6'5".

Reaction Score
Whether SAT scores correlate to anything beyond freshman grades is a very debated subject right now. And I doubt if they have any predictive significance at all when you factor in the academic support systems in place at top D-1 schools. After all, do you think the Alabama football team has higher SAT scores than Duke’s basketball team, and Alabama manages to graduate most of their players. And , please, no arguments about the academic rigors of elite schools. I’ve taught at two of them. There are plenty of easy courses available everywhere. After all, children of rich alumni need to graduate, too. :)

Thank you for pointing this out. This is a folly of the university as a business. I have on more than one ocassion said that no student at any univ is capable of taking advantage of everything that univ can offer. An under(graduate) student at the Univ of UC-Hayard can leave that univ as a coming world-class engineer as one coming out of MIT/Uconn. Of course there are factors in place not to make that happen a lot.
I had a chance to listen to the Duke coach pre- and postgame interviews and laughed at how many times she mentioned the 3 graduate students on her team- and they studying in a top 10 Business Sch. That is how the elite schools sell and recruit students. A complete spin-- shameless. The logic: her players have to contend with far more than basketball. All the others have only one thing to do. The shameless truth-- college athletes have different admission criteria than others; but, the athletic dept must convince the Registrar that they have a structure in place to matriculate the student.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I agree, she's a good shooter and passer, but also an outstanding rebounder, sounds like a stretch four to me, similar game to Lauren Jackson if you ask me.

If her game were similar to Lauren Jackson's then we wouldn't be reading about . . . oh never mind.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Isn’t the simplest explanation that Samantha’s interest in UConn has cooled to the point that Geno no longer thinks that she is likely to sign, so the UConn coaches have turned their attention elsewhere?

Too simple, so it seems.

Reaction Score
Brunelle will be at Uconn. Bank on it! Decision already made. Uconn recruits and coaches are always tight lipped about these matters. No Uconn home visit or game visits needed.

Brunelle will be at UConn, but wearing a Notre Dame jersey.

Reaction Score
Brunelle will be at Uconn. Bank on it! Decision already made. Uconn recruits and coaches are always tight lipped about these matters. No Uconn home visit or game visits needed.
Is that a guess? Or do you know for sure?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If her game were similar to Lauren Jackson's then we wouldn't be reading about . . . oh never mind.

LJ was one of the all time greats. I'll take it with a gigantic grain of salt if someone wants to try to compare a current high school player to her (I realize it was a previous poster, not you, doing this). LJ had 3 point range but she was darn good in the paint too. She was tough as nails and really battled in the lane (ask Lisa Leslie about that). Stretch 4 really is not a good description of LJ.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom