2019-20 nonconference schedules | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2019-20 nonconference schedules

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
So you're saying Geno would only agree to play MSST one game and that one game had to be in CT? Remind me when Geno has done that when in discussions with another program? I'll wait.

Again, sounds like make believe.

It didn't work out for one reason or another. All I'm saying is that Geno is not going to agree to 100% of the games. There's not enough room, first of all. And UConn is the team everyone wants to play. It's quite reasonable to believe that one or two series will end up not working out. I'm not knocking Geno, I'm just stating pretty reasonable things.

Graves and Vic have always seen eye-to-eye though. Another thing which our board confirmed is that both coaches really enjoy playing each other, often and a lot. So expect more Oregon/State in the future.

Reaction Score
So you're saying Geno would only agree to play MSST one game and that one game had to be in CT? Remind me when Geno has done that when in discussions with another program? I'll wait.

The MSU beat writer said that several years ago, MSU tried to get a home and home, but UConn did not want to do it. I don't know how long ago or the reasons. Those things would helpful to know because they would add more context.

I tend to trust this beat writer because he knew in May 2018 that Anriel Howard had verbally committed to State. He is very closely connected to the program.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The MSU beat writer said that several years ago, MSU tried to get a home and home, but UConn did not want to do it. I don't know how long ago or the reasons. Those things would helpful to know because they would add more context.

I tend to trust this beat writer because he knew in May 2018 that Anriel Howard had verbally committed to State. He is very closely connected to the program.

Several years ago seems different than what was alluded to earlier in this thread and by the message board posters where it was suggested that the talks were recent and involved the upcoming season. Geno may indeed have declined a home-and-home series "several years ago" for any number of reasons. My primary objection was to the suggestion that Geno's response recently to Vic was "my way (one game in Storrs) or the highway."

I'd appreciate a link to the quote from the beat writer saying Geno refused a home-and-home.

Reaction Score
Several years ago seems different than what was alluded to earlier in this thread and by the message board posters where it was suggested that the talks were recent and involved the upcoming season. Geno may indeed have declined a home-and-home series "several years ago" for any number of reasons. My primary objection was to the suggestion that Geno's response recently to Vic was "my way (one game in Storrs) or the highway."

I'd appreciate a link to the quote from the beat writer saying Geno refused a home-and-home.

I think this is correct. It was probably before we became a more respected team, so there would be no need for Geno to agree to play us. It could also simply be that the scheduling didn't work out. It's probably not a very exciting reason in the end.

Did that link work?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
After the events of the past few years I can't see Geno agreeing to a series with Miss State. And if he does, it's definitely going to be in Gampel FIRST. Its hard beating UConn in general, but in Gampel it's almost impossible.

Still, even if UConn/MS never becomes a home/home series, there are definitely other interesting games out there. I think MSU/Oregon is something that can become a fun rivalry with their contrasting play styles. I also think MSU/Baylor would make an interesting series in the future.. both teams play similar styles and occasionally overlap in recruiting.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
but 1) it's not unthinkable to believe that Geno won't agree to every single proposal. He's not going to say "let's play 100% of the games suggested by other teams." 2) Geno is stubborn and likes to have things his own way.
You mean Vic is stubborn. By your own account he refused to schedule UConn if he couldn't have the game at home.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
You mean Vic is stubborn. By your own account he refused to schedule UConn if he couldn't have the game at home.

Not sure what youre reading into this time. They're both stubborn. No arguments there. They'll never reach an agreement because of that.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not sure what youre reading into this time. They're both stubborn. No arguments there. They'll never reach an agreement because of that.
Okay, so don't make Geno out to be the bad guy. And don't make it sound like Vic made a serious attempt to schedule up. If he approached with a refusal to play on the road, he wasn't earnest to start with. Who is he to insist that everyone else come to Starkville?

Look at all the teams that Geno has scheduled home-and-homes against. This is not on him. Now go and enjoy your home games against Southern Miss and UT Martin.

Reaction Score
After the events of the past few years I can't see Geno agreeing to a series with Miss State. And if he does, it's definitely going to be in Gampel FIRST. Its hard beating UConn in general, but in Gampel it's almost impossible.

Still, even if UConn/MS never becomes a home/home series, there are definitely other interesting games out there. I think MSU/Oregon is something that can become a fun rivalry with their contrasting play styles. I also think MSU/Baylor would make an interesting series in the future.. both teams play similar styles and occasionally overlap in recruiting.

Apparently, the UConn thing was proposed before 2017, the year we made it to the NC game, and it was a home and home series. I don't see any reason Geno would feel obligated to play us at that time, so I'm not surprised it never happened.

I've also thought Baylor would be a fun series. Iowa State, NC State, Arizona State, UCLA, Oregon State, Miami- a lot of interesting teams out there. I like Oregon's style of play a lot.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Okay, so don't make Geno out to be the bad guy. And don't make it sound like Vic made a serious attempt to schedule up. If he approached with a refusal to play on the road, he wasn't earnest to start with. Who is he to insist that everyone else come to Starkville?

Look at all the teams that Geno has scheduled home-and-homes against. This is not on him. Now go and enjoy your home games against Southern Miss and UT Martin.

Wow..... That was really vigorous. I have no idea where that stinging reaction came from, but I'll let you settle down. LOL........ Plebe is a funny guy. :D

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
I don’t want to hear a single MSU fan complain about their seeding. That schedule is abysmal.

Unless their conf schedule includes SC TAMU KY twice, they may end up with <5 games against the top 25.

Getting the #1 seed did not really help since we were the road team at the #2 seed. Realistically we should have been a #2 seed since that was what we were effectively were.

Agree that the schedule is terrible. I think a lot of it is the big teams are scared to come to Starkvegas. So we have a hard time getting home and home with some of the powerhouse teams.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of it is the big teams are scared to come to Starkvegas. So we have a hard time getting home and home with some of the powerhouse teams.

I really doubt that any big name teams are scared to play us at home. First, no serious coach is going to be scared to play a team. Second, why do those same teams agree to play other big name teams?

Reaction Score
Agree that the schedule is terrible. I think a lot of it is the big teams are scared to come to Starkvegas. So we have a hard time getting home and home with some of the powerhouse teams.

The only thing teams would be scared of is the time it takes to get there. Not exactly an easy destination to reach if you fly commercial.

Reaction Score
Uhh, folks, let's not forget that Vic visited Storrs and talked with Geno. GA did not have to do that.

Reaction Score

If anyone makes that claim, it is definitely make believe and clearly untrue. It is possible, if UConn already had too many road games on tap for a given year, that he might insist on the series beginning in Storrs. But there is no major team that he won't do a home and home game with. History has proven that.

Reaction Score
Uhh, folks, let's not forget that Vic visited Storrs and talked with Geno. GA did not have to do that.

I had forgotten about that. There was an article I read about the meeting, and Vic said he asked Geno about offense.

Reaction Score
I just can't wrap my head around this story, Geno and Vic could not reach an agreement/understanding (if it actually happened) for a home-and-home series due in part Geno being "stubborn" for wanting the first game at Storrs. Doesn't protocol/unwritten rule dictate when starting a home-and-home series the team wanting to play a certain school should "travel" to that school first, in order to get the second game home? Doesn't Vic know "you can't have your cake and eat it too".

If this really took place a few years back...more reason for Vic to accept offer and go to Storrs first...again, if it really happened.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
The only thing teams would be scared of is the time it takes to get there. Not exactly an easy destination to reach if you fly commercial.

Actually it is pretty easy to get there. GTR has Delta and flights from ATL. The airport is 18 miles from campus.

Also it can easily handle charter flights as well.

Actually I have no idea what the truth is. Stans used to have a hard time on the men’s side because teams did not want to come to State. Don’t know if that is true anymore or not.
Vic does not strike me as one who is scared to play on the road first in a home and home series.

Hopefully in the years to come we will see us play a few more of these intersectional match ups with some of the stronger programs.

Reaction Score
GTR has Delta and flights from ATL.

Exactly my point -- all flights are through ATL. If I were from west of MS, gonna have a hard time convincing me to fly over Starkville several hours east to Atlanta, then several hours back to MSU.

Reaction Score
Can you provide a link? If true, what's the problem with playing in Storrs? Wouldn't the agreement be a home and home? This story doesn't make sense.

Seriously. What's the big deal about playing on the road first? Just makes a better case for the soft schedule being intentional.

Go play on the road. What's the worst that is going to happen? You lose to a top 10 team? So what? Maybe you beat them at home next year in front of a packed house.

Losing these games doesn't matter.

But it's fine. Talent will generally carry a team whether their schedule is tough or not. I just don't understand why a team that could join the national conversation regularly would choose not to.

Winning those kind of matchups is exactly the kind of thing that helps you. Playing them at all is generally a plus.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
Exactly my point -- all flights are through ATL. If I were from west of MS, gonna have a hard time convincing me to fly over Starkville several hours east to Atlanta, then several hours back to MSU.

Yes, it would be an extra hour flying east to ATL and then an one hour flight to GTR. So it would be some extra travel time but not anything over the top. Two hours more.

I don’t think that is the reason for State’s scheduling problems.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
@Plebe does it have to be a top 25 program... or are other non-conference schedules free to be posted on here?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
you can put Duke's up if you want.

maddd.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members