2019-20 nonconference schedules | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2019-20 nonconference schedules

Reaction Score
A&M announces the full non-conference schedule

2019-20 Texas A&M Non-Conference Schedule
Fri., Nov. 1 – Oklahoma City (exhibition) (Reed Arena)
Tues., Nov. 5 – Little Rock (Reed Arena)
Sun., Nov. 10 – Duke (Reed Arena)
Sun., Nov. 17 – at Rice (Tudor Fieldhouse, Houston)
Sat., Nov. 23 – at Southern California (Los Angeles)
Wed., Nov. 27 – Prairie View (Reed Arena)
Sun., Dec. 1 – vs. Florida State (Schollmaier Arena, Fort Worth)
Wed., Dec. 4 – Central Arkansas (Reed Arena) – 11 a.m.
Sat., Dec. 7 – Oklahoma State (Reed Arena)
Wed., Dec. 11 – TCU (Reed Arena)
Sun., Dec. 15 – Houston (Reed Arena)
Fri., Dec. 20 – vs. Georgia Tech (Guaynabo, P.R.) – 3 p.m.
Sat., Dec. 21 – vs. Montana State (Guaynabo, P.R.) – 3 p.m.
Sun., Dec. 29 – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Reed Arena)

I was hoping for better given our preseason hype, but this is pretty typical for a Blair non-conference schedule.

Wow. That makes Miss St's sked look like a murderer's row.
Likely 1 ranked team (FSU).

Reaction Score

I beg to differ. It’s not the toughest schedule but it’s far better than Miss State’s. Only 1 ranked team but at least they scheduled some power 5 squads instead of HBCU’s, Missouri Valley, and Tennessee Valley teams :rolleyes:. Southern Cal, Duke, TCU, and Oklahoma St. are decent teams and Rice and ULRA were NCAA tournament teams last year. Of course I still think it’s a weak schedule for a team that’s considered top 5 next year but it’s definitely more solid than Miss St.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
To me the most interesting game. Is the game at Notre Dame. Given the the ND roster looks like this year. I think that's a winnable game.
Umm, no. MM always figures out a way to score and while I am pleasantly surprised by what you have posted on Coach KJH, that roster is still devoid of quality passing and shooters. Ms Davis aside, where is the scoring going to come from? Plus it’s at ND, my money is on MM...sorry :oops:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
A&M announces the full non-conference schedule

2019-20 Texas A&M Non-Conference Schedule
Fri., Nov. 1 – Oklahoma City (exhibition) (Reed Arena)
Tues., Nov. 5 – Little Rock (Reed Arena)
Sun., Nov. 10 – Duke (Reed Arena)
Sun., Nov. 17 – at Rice (Tudor Fieldhouse, Houston)
Sat., Nov. 23 – at Southern California (Los Angeles)
Wed., Nov. 27 – Prairie View (Reed Arena)
Sun., Dec. 1 – vs. Florida State (Schollmaier Arena, Fort Worth)
Wed., Dec. 4 – Central Arkansas (Reed Arena) – 11 a.m.
Sat., Dec. 7 – Oklahoma State (Reed Arena)
Wed., Dec. 11 – TCU (Reed Arena)
Sun., Dec. 15 – Houston (Reed Arena)
Fri., Dec. 20 – vs. Georgia Tech (Guaynabo, P.R.) – 3 p.m.
Sat., Dec. 21 – vs. Montana State (Guaynabo, P.R.) – 3 p.m.
Sun., Dec. 29 – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Reed Arena)

I was hoping for better given our preseason hype, but this is pretty typical for a Blair non-conference schedule.
THis is a pretty good OOC though. Duke, Rice, SC, Houston, GA Tech are either P5 or top non P5 schools. Unlike some of the other P5 scam artist schools, I respect this effort.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's not that great but definitely not as atrocious as Miss St's schedule.

You're right it's light on marquee matchups, but at least Florida State is a likely top 15 team and more than half their opponents are in the top 100. The only confirmed MSU opponents who finished 2018-19 in the top 80 were Marquette (who is probably gonna suck this year) and West Virginia (who may have lost their best player).

TAMU schedule
Massey
MSU schedule
Massey
Little Rock87Southern Miss191
Duke67TN Martin132
at Rice33Murray St244
at USC36Troy127
Prairie View246at Jackson St250
vs. Florida St27at Marquette16
Central Arkansas291TBA
Oklahoma St103TBA
TCU35TBA
Houston117West Virginia47
vs. Georgia Tech64at Louisiana267
vs. Montana St153vs. South Florida96
TAM-Corpus Christi252vs. Virginia/UNLV93/178
Little Rock87
Average ranking:116Average ranking:144

Reaction Score

You're right it's light on marquee matchups, but at least Florida State is a likely top 15 team and more than half their opponents are in the top 100. The only confirmed MSU opponents who finished 2018-19 in the top 80 were Marquette (who is probably gonna suck this year) and West Virginia (who may have lost their best player).

TAMU schedule
Massey
MSU schedule
Massey
Duke67TN Martin132
at Rice33Murray St244
at USC36Troy127
Central Arkansas291TBA
Oklahoma St103TBA
TCU35TBA
Little Rock87
Mississippi State’s could definitely end up being better/equal depending on who they play at the Vancouver Showcase (assuming it is Stanford, another quality opponent, and a poor one).

On State’s, I would expect Marquette will be a lot worse than last year, WVU could be better assuming Martin is back (Martin, Boykin, Gondrezick, Martinez, Deans, and a few 6-5 centers). I think Jose has a decent recruiting class coming in, so maybe USF will be much better?

For A&M, TCU, Georgia Tech, and USC all lose a lot, which is why I don’t think taking last year’s rankings makes a whole lot of sense. I think Duke will be stronger, and Oklahoma State has the JUCO POY. Rice will still be pretty good. Florida State is certainly the highlight.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Umm, no. MM always figures out a way to score and while I am pleasantly surprised by what you have posted on Coach KJH, that roster is still devoid of quality passing and shooters. Ms Davis aside, where is the scoring going to come from? Plus it’s at ND, my money is on MM...sorry :oops:
I know the teams in Europe were not equal to anyone else on the schedule. Massingill looked good running the offense. Don't forget there is a #2 recruit named Jordan Horston. One thing I think you will see this team play better. Also this coaching staff will do some things different.

Reaction Score

I was basing it on the assumption they'll get a high quality opponent or 2 in Vancouver.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I know the teams in Europe were not equal to anyone else on the schedule. Massingill looked good running the offense. Don't forget there is a #2 recruit named Jordan Horston. One thing I think you will see this team play better. Also this coaching staff will do some things different.
Oh I am well aware of Horston as that’s ALL EVERY LV fan wants to state how she will easily replace Westbrook at point and as a scorer. I am never sold on a freshman coming in and carrying a team to even a conference title let alone a long NCAA run. Will they be more disciplined, how could they be less disciplined than they were with Holly? KJH seems logical and realistic in what they can accomplish this year. I just don’t see them in the top 20 or 25. If they are, it’s solely due to the name on the Jersey. I see them no higher than 5/6th in the SEC and that’s a good goal. Texas A&M, MSU, Kentucky, SC, are the top 4 without question. The next grouping includes Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri and Tennessee. Let’s not forget that the LV have had quite a few defections these past few years of highly ranked players. Plus it was a disjointed collection to begin with. I wish her luck but call me skeptical on all the rosy predictions. The plus for the SEC fans is their conference should move up a spot in RPI to #4 ahead of Big12 and may even give the Big10 a run for #3. On second thought, probably not. #4 it is.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Oh I am well aware of Horston as that’s ALL EVERY LV fan wants to state how she will easily replace Westbrook at point and as a scorer. I am never sold on a freshman coming in and carrying a team to even a conference title let alone a long NCAA run. Will they be more disciplined, how could they be less disciplined than they were with Holly? KJH seems logical and realistic in what they can accomplish this year. I just don’t see them in the top 20 or 25. If they are, it’s solely due to the name on the Jersey. I see them no higher than 5/6th in the SEC and that’s a good goal. Texas A&M, MSU, Kentucky, SC, are the top 4 without question. The next grouping includes Arkansas, Georgia, Missouri and Tennessee. Let’s not forget that the LV have had quite a few defections these past few years of highly ranked players. Plus it was a disjointed collection to begin with. I wish her luck but call me skeptical on all the rosy predictions. The plus for the SEC fans is their conference should move up a spot in RPI to #4 ahead of Big12 and may even give the Big10 a run for #3. On second thought, probably not. #4 it is.
From what I understand in listing to Harper. They don't have a lot in as far as the system. That takes a little time. I haven't made any predictions yet. I do think a player like Zay Green can do well with this new staff.
After the Notre Dame game we will know more. The thing to keep in mind is ND lost its starting five. So I think both teams will look different this year.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I did a little digging and found out that the "Vancouver Showcase" has been renamed the "Victoria Invitational" to reflect the location move to the University of Victoria:

And the field of 8 teams has been announced (2018-19 Massey ranking in parentheses):

Mississippi St (5)
Stanford (7)
Syracuse (19)
Green Bay (91)
Houston (117)
Bowling Green (207)
Cal Baptist (214)
San Francisco (223)

The pairings are TBA, but Cal Baptist's website has them playing Stanford in the 1st round (2019-20 Women's Basketball Schedule - CBU Athletics).

I suspect, then, that Miss State will play either San Francisco or Bowling Green in the 1st round and then Syracuse, Green Bay or Houston in the semifinals.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looks like not quite as good of a field overall as last year's event. Somebody could make it to the Championship game without really playing anybody noteworthy.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Looks like not quite as good of a field overall as last year's event. Somebody could make it to the Championship game without really playing anybody noteworthy.
"Somebody" meaning Mississippi State, who has elevated "not playing anyone noteworthy" to a fine art.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
"Somebody" meaning Mississippi State, who has elevated "not playing anyone noteworthy" to a fine art.

Well it depends on the bracket. Maybe it will be Stanford getting stuck w/ 2 throwaway games and only 1 quality opponent.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well it depends on the bracket. Maybe it will be Stanford getting stuck w/ 2 throwaway games and only 1 quality opponent.
It's hard to assess Syracuse. Without Mangakahia they'll have a much different look, although they do get back all their other main contributors except Drummond and they have a top 50 freshman PG coming in.

Green Bay fell off last year from their perennially high level, and I don't see them being too much better this year after graduating 3 of their top 6 scorers, unless their returners show major improvement or they get lots of help from their freshmen.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah I'm kind of making an assumption that Stanford, Mississippi St. and Syracuse will be the best 3 teams there. Maybe someone else will surprise. But if my assumption is correct one team could play 2 of the 3, but everybody else will only play one of them.

Reaction Score

TAMU schedule
Massey
MSU schedule
Massey
Duke67TN Martin132
at Rice33Murray St244
at USC36Troy127
Central Arkansas291TBA
Oklahoma St103TBA
TCU35TBA
Little Rock87

Perhaps it's just a coincidence, the thing I find somewhat interesting in these OOC schedules, Blair likes to schedule the "tougher/stronger teams" at front end of the schedule while Vic likes to start with dessert first. :rolleyes:

gipke1

LMULionFan
Reaction Score
Yeah, definitely, they were a bit disappointing. The WCC was fairly tough. I think their 2 best players, Green and Gipson, were in and out of the lineup with various injuries during the season.

Yep. Never could get Chels and Gabby healthy at the same time. That's the way it goes with injuries sometimes? Gabby had a foot injury that bothered her all season and Chelsey suffered a concussion in the pre season.

They were both firing on all cylinders in our come out game last year against UCLA though!

We'll see what happens on Nov 9th. UCLA has Dean returning and a great recruiting class coming in, including the So Cal phenom Charisma Osborne whom we've been friends with her and her fam for years.

We've also got local Northwestern sharp shooter Aspyn Adams coming in, as well as a pretty decent recruiting class as well coming in.

Reaction Score
Yep. Never could get Chels and Gabby healthy at the same time. That's the way it goes with injuries sometimes? Gabby had a foot injury that bothered her all season and Chelsey suffered a concussion in the pre season.

They were both firing on all cylinders in our come out game last year against UCLA though!

We'll see what happens on Nov 9th. UCLA has Dean returning and a great recruiting class coming in, including the So Cal phenom Charisma Osborne whom we've been friends with her and her fam for years.

We've also got local Northwestern sharp shooter Aspyn Adams coming in, as well as a pretty decent recruiting class as well coming in.
Dean!?... I'm sorry, but UCLA has Michaela Onyenwere returning! She should be an AA candidate next year! Was definitely in the conversation of being a top 5 sophomore last year. She's a future pro IMO, easily the best player on UCLA

Plebe

Reaction Score
Dean!?... I'm sorry, but UCLA has Michaela Onyenwere returning! She should be an AA candidate next year! Was definitely in the conversation of being a top 5 sophomore last year. She's a future pro IMO, easily the best player on UCLA
The Pac-12 has several fantastic juniors who IMO are viable AA candidates: Onyenwere, Aari McDonald, Destiny Slocum, Kiana Williams.

gipke1

LMULionFan
Reaction Score
The Pac-12 has several fantastic juniors who IMO are viable AA candidates: Onyenwere, Aari McDonald, Destiny Slocum, Kiana Williams.

Yes. Dean, Onyenwere, Corsaro, Ally. I was referring mainly to the happy news Dean received post season that she won her appeal to get an additional year of eligibility...and play.

Was hoping to get the chance to play at least two PAC-12 opponents like we did last year, but satisfied that we get to come visit and play at Pauley. Best wishes on your upcoming season. Wishing all of our ladies stay healthy!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Surprised nobody has Oregon St. OOC schedule posted yet. It's fairly weak, disappointing. Miami is the highlight. WNIT field isn't very exciting. BYU in Hawaii. Plenty of cupcakes.

Hmm, can't get a link to work.

Nov. 9 UC Irvine
Nov. 11 WNIT (home)
Nov. 14 WNIT (home)
Nov. 17 WNIT (neutral)
Nov. 21 Southern Utah
Nov. 29 @ Miami
Nov. 30 Liberty (@ Miami)
Dec. 6 Hawaii
Dec. 14 Utah St.
Dec. 18 Northern Arizona (in Hawaii)
Dec. 19 BYU (in Hawaii)
Dec. 29 CSU Bakersfield

Only 1 true road game too.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Surprised nobody has Oregon St. OOC schedule posted yet. It's fairly weak, disappointing. Miami is the highlight. WNIT field isn't very exciting. BYU in Hawaii. Plenty of cupcakes.

Hmm, can't get a link to work.

Nov. 9 UC Irvine
Nov. 11 WNIT (home)
Nov. 14 WNIT (home)
Nov. 17 WNIT (neutral)
Nov. 21 Southern Utah
Nov. 29 @ Miami
Nov. 30 Liberty (@ Miami)
Dec. 6 Hawaii
Dec. 14 Utah St.
Dec. 18 Northern Arizona (in Hawaii)
Dec. 19 BYU (in Hawaii)
Dec. 29 CSU Bakersfield

Only 1 true road game too.
What makes you think the Nov. 17 game is on a neutral court? Their schedule says TBD, but I'm pretty sure the WNIT games are always played on one team's home court.

As for the WNIT bracket, asuming that the Beavers get past UC Irvine and then the winner of Pacific/UMKC, they could play DePaul in the semis, which wouldn't be too bad. The best teams on the other side of the bracket are probably Oklahoma, Boise State, Missouri State and UAB — nothing to write home about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom