2019-20 nonconference schedules | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2019-20 nonconference schedules

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Meh. except for Texas and Maryland. Though I guess you can throw out the record books when the North Carolina 1862 and 1890 Morrill Act schools meet up on the farm court :rolleyes:

“Meh” is what you say to this turd pile of an OOC schedule? “Meh”? Seriously if you are adopting this Carolina school, please show the same critical eye you would if it were NCheat. Shame on Wes for this abomination of games. Just so we are also clear- Maryland is part of the ACC/Big10 required schedule so this schedule is even worse of a planning strategy. My respect for Wes just dropped a bit :oops:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Lol..... that sounds like something out of Diane Keaton's mouth..."I'm from Philadelphia. Whaddya want from me? I'm honest."

But... see, your assessment is fair. The thing is, no one is arguing it's a good schedule. And I'm not saying that it's my preference to play a weak schedule. Vic tried to schedule UConn this year, but Geno wanted to play at Storrs. Not sure what the deal with that is, but I think we're still the new kids on the block. We don't get to dictate what we want to do.

Vic has had a 36-2 SEC record in the last 2 years. He also had 2 national championship game appearances, and scored 84 points against Oregon in one of his most impressive offensive onslaughts. He always has his team ready and firing both by conference time, and in the NCAA tournament. So having a weak nonconference doesn't faze his team at all, or really affects anything. As long it doesn't hurt us, I really don't care what UConn or SC or what anybody else says about our schedule.

I think the only thing it really means is slightly lower seeding. But..really I'll take a #2 or #3 seed because none of the regionals this year favors us. Another reason we're the new kids on the block. Regionals in the last 3 years were hosted in Albany, Portland, Fort Wayne, Greenville, Lexington, Stockton, and Dallas. It favors every top 7 or 8 team except for State. The day when they host a regional in Jackson or Memphis is the day where the basketball universe deems us "a national power." Until then, we still aren't getting the benefits those teams I mentioned are.

You also had McCown to help with the success plus a weak SEC so let’s see him reload and match that success before anointing him. As noted, virtually all “big game” matchups are home and home unless it’s a one off for a “homecoming game” for a Senior. Maybe the games at Storrs could have been AEH’s homecoming game? :rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
That game @Kentucky could be interesting

"

That's a pretty good schedule, and a significant upgrade from MTSU's schedule last year, when Kentucky, Rice and Belmont were the only RPI top 50 teams they faced. Key matchups:
  • Nov. 10 vs. Kentucky
  • Nov. 29–Dec. 1 Gulf Coast Showcase (first game vs. Auburn)
  • Dec. 14 at Belmont
  • Dec. 29 vs. TCU

MTSU is one of the "new-look" teams I'm most excited about watching next season. Several promising transfers are on the Blue Raiders' roster:
  • Anastasia Hayes (Tennessee, SEC Sixth Woman of the Year 2017-18)
  • Rellah Boothe (Texas, McD HS All-American)
  • Ra'Shika White (Elon, CAA Sixth Woman of the Year 2017-18)
  • Eternati Willock (Kansas State/New Mexico JC, Big 12 All-Freshman Team 2016-17)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Cal has announced its nonconference schedule:

Highlights:
Nov. 10 at UConn
Nov. 24 vs. Arkansas
Nov. 30 vs. (likely) Penn State (interesting matchup of teams with first-year coaches)
Dec. 7 vs. Boston University (Marisa's team)
Dec. 21 vs. Kentucky

Plebe

Reaction Score
Good article on Virginia's nonconference schedule:

This season, UVa heads to Storrs, Connecticut, on Nov. 19. Next year, the Huskies come to John Paul Jones Arena. ... This will mark the first time the Cavaliers have faced the Huskies since 2007.

“They’ve been one of the greatest programs in the country for a lot of years,” Thompson said. “They’re always going to be well coached and always going to have great players, but we’re going in there to win.”

Plebe

Reaction Score
Don't remember anyone posting on UCLA's announced noncon schedule:

Starts with a handful of cupcakes and semisweets at home. The highlights come with road trips after Thanksgiving:
  • Nov. 30 vs. UCF (at Virginia)
  • Dec. 1 at Virginia
  • Dec. 19 at Georgia
  • Dec. 22 at Indiana

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
LMU might not be a pushover, they got UCLA and Arizona early last season.

UCLA @ Indiana could be a really interesting game.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
LMU might not be a pushover, they got UCLA and Arizona early last season.

UCLA @ Indiana could be a really interesting game.
Don't remind me. We almost won. They played intense, if a bit helter-skelter. Their OOC turned out to be better than their conference season, I think.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Their OOC turned out to be better than their conference season, I think.

Yeah, definitely, they were a bit disappointing. The WCC was fairly tough. I think their 2 best players, Green and Gipson, were in and out of the lineup with various injuries during the season.

Reaction Score

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Finally.... My Panthers release the non-conference part of the schedule

Highlights include...... the battle of the NC Methodists down in Cameron Indoor Stadium on November 5 .... I hate to have to miss that game :( .... the Battle of Guilford County..... at UNC-G (my spartans) on Dec 21. Thats about it for the highlights. :rolleyes: Last year's schedule was better..... but this is a rebuilding year. Only 9 non-conference games listed....

Plebe

Reaction Score
DePaul’s nonconference schedule. UCONN, Notre Dame, Greenbay. Potential games against Oregon State, Miami, Oklahoma (Not that they were good last year). Overall I think it’s a solid schedule.

DePaul has always scheduled very well in the nonconference.
A nice point of contrast to the likes of Mississippi State.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Interesting schedule. A roughly even mix of cupcakes and substantive dishes. Rather odd to have an exhibition vs. an NAIA school in late December.

Games of note:
Nov. 24 at Syracuse (rematch of last year's very close game at Eugene)
Nov. 28 (Paradise Jam) vs. Oklahoma St
Nov. 30 (Paradise Jam) vs. Louisville
Dec. 8 vs. South Dakota St (rematch of last year's close game at SDSU)
Dec. 21 vs. Kansas St
Feb. 3 at UConn

Reaction Score
Interesting schedule. A roughly even mix of cupcakes and substantive dishes. Rather odd to have an exhibition vs. an NAIA school in late December.

Games of note:
Dec. 21 vs. Kansas St
Feb. 3 at UConn
Respectable OOC schedule.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

Games of note:
Dec. 21 vs. Kansas St
Feb. 3 at UConn

This was true (the exhibition in late December) last year as well and has to do (I think) with not starting the Pac 12 schedule, as a bunch of the teams have chosen to do, in late December. The early start date (for some teams) is, I believe, only a few years old and is an attempt to avoid the back to back rivalry scheduling that seems to be necessary without the early start date (in Oregon's case playing Oregon State back to back in about a week). Since both rivalry schools have to agree to the early start date for conference games, I don't know whether it's Oregon or Oregon State or both who have insisted on the old way--which I actually prefer.

I'd add that Graves was on record in late spring lamenting the fact that he was having trouble scheduling a strong opponent beyond South Dakota St at home. Don't know why, but it's a bit disappointing vs. last year.

Reaction Score
Will South Dakota State still be considered a "strong opponent" this year? They lose their two leading scorers in Macy Miller and Madison Guebert.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Will South Dakota State still be considered a "strong opponent" this year? They lose their two leading scorers in Macy Miller and Madison Guebert.
They may take a step back but not too far. They get back all their other starters and main bench contributors. Myah Selland is going to be a star for them. Tagyn Larson is also very good. Others will probably step up as well. It's been a long time since the Jackrabbits have been a weak team.

Reaction Score

Games of note:
Dec. 21 vs. Kansas St
Feb. 3 at UConn
In the story about the schedule on the Oregon Athletic Dept. website they mentioned that they are still working out details for a special season opening exhibition game that will be announced at a later date. I expect this refers to the game with the national team which they will defer to USAB to announce.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Side by side comparison of the UConn and Oregon OOC schedules. Tenn is tucked in nicely between the Baylor game and Oregon. If UConn loses the Baylor game...when was the last time UConn lost back to back games?. On the Oregon side, Louisville seems to be the only team that can possibly make it a game. Syracuse without Tiana Mangakahia does not appear to have a chance. By the way, I found this link on Tiana's current status for anyone to read. She's is about half way through her chemo treatments.

Syracuse basketball star Tiana Mangakahia perseveres in breast cancer fight

Reaction Score
A&M announces the full non-conference schedule

2019-20 Texas A&M Non-Conference Schedule
Fri., Nov. 1 – Oklahoma City (exhibition) (Reed Arena)
Tues., Nov. 5 – Little Rock (Reed Arena)
Sun., Nov. 10 – Duke (Reed Arena)
Sun., Nov. 17 – at Rice (Tudor Fieldhouse, Houston)
Sat., Nov. 23 – at Southern California (Los Angeles)
Wed., Nov. 27 – Prairie View (Reed Arena)
Sun., Dec. 1 – vs. Florida State (Schollmaier Arena, Fort Worth)
Wed., Dec. 4 – Central Arkansas (Reed Arena) – 11 a.m.
Sat., Dec. 7 – Oklahoma State (Reed Arena)
Wed., Dec. 11 – TCU (Reed Arena)
Sun., Dec. 15 – Houston (Reed Arena)
Fri., Dec. 20 – vs. Georgia Tech (Guaynabo, P.R.) – 3 p.m.
Sat., Dec. 21 – vs. Montana State (Guaynabo, P.R.) – 3 p.m.
Sun., Dec. 29 – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (Reed Arena)

I was hoping for better given our preseason hype, but this is pretty typical for a Blair non-conference schedule.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom