2019-20 nonconference schedules | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2019-20 nonconference schedules

Reaction Score
My take, I believe SC and MSST will both be very good next season, as to who wins the SEC I still think A&M has the experience and talent and has the edge as of today. If A&M stumbles I think physicality will be the key to winning the SEC. I know Vic will do all he can get us ready as will Dawn, going to be an exciting season next year. BRING IT ON!
I don't really think it matters who has more top-100 or top-10 recruits -- at this point it is all about performance. Last year, Mississippi State had 6 top-100 recruits, and I think just one top-40 recruit, Dawn had about 10 top-100 recruits, and about 5 top-40 recruits.

Even the past two years when Vic is 3-1 against Dawn, Dawn always had the talent that was ranked higher out of HS.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I don't think the following means a whole lot, but I kind of object to your use of statistics:

Top 15 Top 30 Top 50 Top 75 Top 100
South Carolina 5 7 9 10 10
Miss State 2 4 6 7 9

Looking at that makes me a little anxious. South Carolina has a lot of high end talent on next season's roster.

I can't follow you on those numbers. My phone screen is displaying them on erractically aligned rows.

And about that entire schedule talk, I think its because Dawn is trying to be Geno. Vic is just trying to be Vic.

Reaction Score
I can't follow you on those numbers. My phone screen is displaying them on erractically aligned rows.

And about that entire schedule talk, I think its because Dawn is trying to be Geno. Vic is just trying to be Vic.

Dawn has always scheduled tough even before SC had A’ja. She always challenge her teams before SEC play. If you have the talent why not play top teams? It’ll be interesting to see who is the better team when SC and Miss meets up in SEC play based on their different schedules played that’s for sure.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Dawn has always scheduled tough even before SC had A’ja. She always challenge her teams before SEC play. If you have the talent why not play top teams? It’ll be interesting to see who is the better team when SC and Miss meets up in SEC play based on their different schedules played that’s for sure.

Vic says he didnt want to subject his young team to a grueling road trip because all teams only wanted to play us if they play at home first.

Remember what it did to South Carolina last year? You guys started terribly mostly because your young team was mentally shaken early with losses to Drake and Maryland...both couldve been different games if played in February.

Despite your stronger nonconference, the conference schedule we play is the same so.... its not like that all matters once it gets deeper into the season.

Reaction Score
Vic says he didnt want to subject his young team to a grueling road trip because all teams only wanted to play us if they play at home first.

Remember what it did to South Carolina last year? You guys started terribly mostly because your young team was mentally shaken early with losses to Drake and Maryland...both couldve been different games if played in February.

Despite your stronger nonconference, the conference schedule we play is the same so.... its not like that all matters once it gets deeper into the season.

This is a much different SC team than last year. Much deeper talent pool young or not. More players can do different things on the court so why not test their abilities to the fullest? Fans want to see games against top competition not a bunch of cupcakes lol. I digress but I can assure you Dawn can live by scheduling tough.

Reaction Score
Have to agree with SCspur on tougher OOC schedule usually get a team ready for conference play and more important tournament play. For me OOC should be the time for elites to play elites, those are the games everyone wants to see.

Reaction Score
Have to agree with SCspur on tougher OOC schedule usually get a team ready for conference play and more important tournament play. For me OOC should be the time for elites to play elites, those are the games everyone wants to see.

It’s definitely better for the fans as well.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. Look at Ohio State and Kelsey Mitchell. They played a really tough OOC schedule but continued to perform poorly in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
I'm interested to see how hard Muffet makes her schedule. She has scheduled pretty tough schedules the past few years, and the ACC is obviously one of the best conferences.

Does she send her inexperienced team through a gauntlet of teams that could easily beat them? Or play it safe and play more cupcakes than usual?

Reaction Score

USC lost some games early. So what?

If anything it helped.

Reaction Score

If you give it a try you might just be able to figure it out.

Staley just isn’t afraid of losing.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't know if we are still sharing Non Conference schedules, but OSU shared theirs a few weeks back.

Valpo and Sacramento St. are the only +200 RPI's (from last year). Next highest (or is it lowest?) is Radford at 75. Pretty fun schedule overall for a team with one senior and 10 underclassmen. (the two juniors are a walk-on and Braxtin Miller, Okla. St. Transfer who I think is sitting out).

Reaction Score
I'm interested to see how hard Muffet makes her schedule. She has scheduled pretty tough schedules the past few years, and the ACC is obviously one of the best conferences.

Does she send her inexperienced team through a gauntlet of teams that could easily beat them? Or play it safe and play more cupcakes than usual?
I don't think ND will take many steps back. Muffett too good of a coach. It'll be a different team but I expect them to play at an elite level by time tournament time come.

Reaction Score
USC lost some games early. So what?

If anything it helped.

I think this is a good philosophy. It also gives you a better idea of where you stand. Beating a sub 200 RPI team doesn't tell you a lot.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Dawn is a competitor. She’ll play anybody anywhere. If that means she’s “trying to be Geno” then so be it.. they’re both from Philly so it’s a fair comparison..

Before South Carolina was on the scene nationally we played home and away games with the national powers, usually visiting them first (notably the Stanford series). Now we’re in the position to flex muscle in these big series, but it wasn’t always like that.

State just needs to ante up and be willing to play on the road a little bit. But if Vic feels like his program is too good for that then I guess he’s right.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Dawn is a competitor. She’ll play anybody anywhere. If that means she’s “trying to be Geno” then so be it.. they’re both from Philly so it’s a fair comparison..

Before South Carolina was on the scene nationally we played home and away games with the national powers, usually visiting them first (notably the Stanford series). Now we’re in the position to flex muscle in these big series, but it wasn’t always like that.

State just needs to ante up and be willing to play on the road a little bit. But if Vic feels like his program is too good for that then I guess he’s right.

Lol..... that sounds like something out of Diane Keaton's mouth........"I'm from Philadelphia. Whaddya want from me? I'm honest."

But... see, your assessment is fair. The thing is, no one is arguing it's a good schedule. And I'm not saying that it's my preference to play a weak schedule. Vic tried to schedule UConn this year, but Geno wanted to play at Storrs. Not sure what the deal with that is, but I think we're still the new kids on the block. We don't get to dictate what we want to do.

Vic has had a 36-2 SEC record in the last 2 years. He also had 2 national championship game appearances, and scored 84 points against Oregon in one of his most impressive offensive onslaughts. He always has his team ready and firing both by conference time, and in the NCAA tournament. So having a weak nonconference doesn't faze his team at all, or really affects anything. As long it doesn't hurt us, I really don't care what UConn or SC or what anybody else says about our schedule.

I think the only thing it really means is slightly lower seeding. But..really I'll take a #2 or #3 seed because none of the regionals this year favors us. Another reason we're the new kids on the block. Regionals in the last 3 years were hosted in Albany, Portland, Fort Wayne, Greenville, Lexington, Stockton, and Dallas. It favors every top 7 or 8 team except for State. The day when they host a regional in Jackson or Memphis is the day where the basketball universe deems us "a national power." Until then, we still aren't getting the benefits those teams I mentioned are.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Vic tried to schedule UConn this year, but Geno wanted to play at Storrs. Not sure what the deal with that is, but I think we're still the new kids on the block. We don't get to dictate what we want to do.

Can you provide a link? If true, what's the problem with playing in Storrs? Wouldn't the agreement be a home and home? This story doesn't make sense.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
But... see, your assessment is fair. The thing is, no one is arguing it's a good schedule. And I'm not saying that it's my preference to play a weak schedule. Vic tried to schedule UConn this year, but Geno wanted to play at Storrs. Not sure what the deal with that is, but I think we're still the new kids on the block. We don't get to dictate what we want to do.

So you're essentially saying that Vic "tried to schedule UConn" but insisted on a home game.

Too bad so sad.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Meh...... except for Texas and Maryland. Though I guess you can throw out the record books when the North Carolina 1862 and 1890 Morrill Act schools meet up on the farm court :rolleyes:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Did a quick scan of Mississippi State's forum and perhaps that was it...
I also don't see Geno playing them partly due to AEH...

LOL Just what I thought. A bunch of fans making stuff up on a message board. Geno agrees to home-and-homes with a bunch of teams; there's no reason to think he wouldn't agree to one with MSST if he wanted to play them.

I really don't think Espinoza-Hunter's presence would affect Geno one bit. UConn has several home-and-homes set up so a series with MSST may have to wait.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
LOL Just what I thought. A bunch of fans making stuff up on a message board. Geno agrees to home-and-homes with a bunch of teams; there's no reason to think he wouldn't agree to one with MSST if he wanted to play them.

I don't see that as making things up, but have it your way. That was our main MSU insider, btw. We'll play UConn sometime in the future, but 1) it's not unthinkable to believe that Geno won't agree to every single proposal. He's not going to say "let's play 100% of the games suggested by other teams." 2) Geno is stubborn and likes to have things his own way.

Reaction Score
I also don't see Geno playing them partly due to AEH...

That would be extremely shallow of Geno if that is true. If State didn't want to play UCONN because they would have to travel to Storrs for a year, then shame on Vic. None of it makes sense, usually there is a home and home so of course you would have to travel up one year.

I am guessing with all the home and home series UCONN has agreed to, they had no room this year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
View attachment 45250

I don't see that as making things up, but have it your way. That was our main MSU insider, btw. We'll play UConn sometime in the future, but 1) it's not unthinkable to believe that Geno won't agree to every single proposal. He's not going to say "let's play 100% of the games suggested by other teams." 2) Geno is stubborn and likes to have things his own way.

So you're saying Geno would only agree to play MSST one game and that one game had to be in CT? Remind me when Geno has done that when in discussions with another program? I'll wait.

Again, sounds like make believe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom