2019-20 NON-Uconn WCBB News | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2019-20 NON-Uconn WCBB News

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Most likely Cunningham or Owens is leaving. Educated guess via the Bench is Cunningham.

Not impossible that Mabrey is leaving to make way for a more senior assistant but lateral move seems more likely. Especially during a pandemic when many programs are cost-cutting. Getting rid of Mabrey to hire someone more expensive doesn't make sense.

Agreed on all counts. Assignments could be:
- Posts/Big Forwards: Carol Owens
- Point Guards: Coquese Washington (a former PG herself, who also coached - voila -- Niele Ivey)
- Wings/Shooting Guards: Michaela Mabrey
- Recruiting: Ivey very involved initially, with Mabrey and Washington.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I haven't bothered checking what's on Pac 12 Network much the last several months. They are replaying some milestone games this week. Right now Tara is going for coaching win 1000 during the 2017 season.

On Saturday at 5 pm PST they are showing the 2017 regular season finale, Washington hosting Utah. That's the game Plum dropped 57 pts and broke the NCAA career scoring record.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
:mad: Pac 12 Network can be pretty stupid at times, but they have outdone themselves. So with Kelsey's record breaking performance, they literally skipped half of the game. It jumped from about 5 minutes into Q1 to midway thru Q3. So stinking stupid, I'm not even sure why they bothered. It's not like there's ANYTHING actually happening in sports right now, why not show the game in it's entirety? You're dead to me Pac 12.

Reaction Score
2021 recruiting class ranking...obviously in flux. Oregon State still above South Carolina is surprising.

2021 player ranking (only top 5 shown for free). Oregon State commit Talia von Oelhoffen at number 4 is a little surprising...maybe.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2021 recruiting class ranking...obviously in flux. Oregon State still above South Carolina is surprising.

2021 player ranking (only top 5 shown for free). Oregon State commit Talia von Oelhoffen at number 4 is a little surprising...maybe.

Looks like these rankings have yet to figure in Sania Feagin's commitment.

Reaction Score
Looks like these rankings have yet to figure in Sania Feagin's commitment.

It mentions getting 2 five-stars. That's Feagin & Rivers. Bree (1st of three commits) is "only" a 4 star (I think)

Reaction Score
It mentions getting 2 five-stars. That's Feagin & Rivers. Bree (1st of three commits) is "only" a 4 star (I think)
We’ll have a better idea next week as we don’t know how they rank Hall, plus what day does that site consider the end of a week since Sania committed on Sunday.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Why does ESPN have like 50+ 5 star players? Personally I would love to see reduced number of those and discrepancies from the great and good players.
If you look back and compare today's ratings to the early 2010s, the grade inflation for players is pretty stark; maybe ESPN has been trying to keep up with the grade inflation those recruits are likely to experience in the classroom! ;)

Reaction Score
If you look back and compare today's ratings to the early 2010s, the grade inflation for players is pretty stark; maybe ESPN has been trying to keep up with the grade inflation those recruits are likely to experience in the classroom! ;)

More kids with high rankings the more clicks they get. Not about rankings, it's about making money. Same reason their are tons of mock drafts. Agendas to get clicks.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Big orange connect Coach Harper and Coach Barnes and coach Pruitt.
Coach Harper is on about 54:00 time. She gives a update on a few things and what she expects.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Didn't want to start a new thread for this so just stuck it here. Interview w/ Courtney Vandersloot looking back at GU's Elite 8 run she engineered.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So, Sedona Prince has yet to play a minute of basketball after two seasons in college, but already suing the NCAA and PAC 12:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
So, Sedona Prince has yet to play a minute of basketball after two seasons in college, but already suing the NCAA and PAC 12:

Gotta say, Prince has not left a very favorable impression thus far.

The lawsuit alleges that, among other things, the regulation of college athletes makes training for the Olympics -- and the endorsements that can entail -- more difficult. I can see that argument if you're a swimmer, but basketball? Puhlease. Nothing better prepared Stewwie to be the new face of Team USA than training under Geno. I imagine the flock of young women heading to South Carolina feel similarly about Dawn. I understand why lawyers need to reach for every available argument in court filings, but in the court of public opinion I think Prince will not come off very favorably.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When I first saw the announcement, I thought it was an action regarding her medical treatment. Way out of left field.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
When I first saw the announcement, I thought it was an action regarding her medical treatment. Way out of left field.
You spoke too soon . . .

Reaction Score
This is a very tricky subject and I don't see it changing.

The frustration athletes feel and experience is very understandable. The NCAA "not for profit" is a joke and everyone knows it. Colleges make $$ money off the performance and recognition of their athletes.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea the athletes should be paid but rather allow for some flexibility in how money could be given to students with extenuating circumstances like major injury, family traged or possible food insecurity.

Prince has chosen an odd time to fight this battle given how she has yet to play a minute of college basketball and I have no idea where the endorsements she speaks of would come from outside of the fact she could have made some pocket money off those shirts.

More of these are likely to arise in the future.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
So if you're Kelly Graves....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
“I had to undergo several surgeries, and my bills were in the tens of thousands of dollars. And on top of that, I was stressed about the potential of my injuries keeping me from playing again,” Prince said in a statement. “Even with all of this facing me, I was still unable to receive any outside compensation from endorsements or social media because of the NCAA. It’s unfair. ... For all the hard work college athletes put in, for all the risks we take and injuries we sustain, and for all the money we generate, we should at least be able to share in the profits that can be made off of our own names, images and likenesses. If not us, who can rightfully claim that and profit from it?”

I do sympathize that she shouldn't have to pay for her surgeries considering she got injured playing for USA basketball. The outside compensation/ability to make side income I also understand, but just seems a bit odd that it's coming from Prince whose name/image/likeness is very limited, as she doesn't have a huge social media following and has never played a game of college basketball.

Reaction Score
I do sympathize that she shouldn't have to pay for her surgeries considering she got injured playing for USA basketball. The outside compensation/ability to make side income I also understand, but just seems a bit odd that it's coming from Prince whose name/image/likeness is very limited, as she doesn't have a huge social media following and has never played a game of college basketball.

This is one of the reasons I am confused. If she was hurt while playing/trying out for team USA then I don't think she should be held totally responsible for her bills.

I am not trying to get down on a player I've never seen in person and think it's unfortunate she has been caught in this bind but for someone who seems to want a career playing basketball she is taking a very strong stance very early in her career.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is one of the reasons I am confused. If she was hurt while playing/trying out for team USA then I don't think she should be held totally responsible for her bills.

I am not trying to get down on a player I've never seen in person and think it's unfortunate she has been caught in this bind but for someone who seems to want a career playing basketball she is taking a very strong stance very early in her career.

Agreed. Would make a lot more sense coming from her teammates rather than her. Ionescu is directly responsible for the huge fan turnouts and has 500k+ instagram followers who she couldnt make a dollar off of as a student athlete. Or Satou Sabally who also is a big name and has almost 50k followers, and she left college a year early specifically to help out her family financially.

I am curious how socual media revenue plays out for Paige Bueckers. She already has 500k followers on Instagram and that number will likely grow big time in college. That's serious money (several hundred thousand per year) she's missing out on by being a student athlete.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Agreed. Would make a lot more sense coming from her teammates rather than her. Ionescu is directly responsible for the huge fan turnouts and has 500k+ instagram followers who she couldnt make a dollar off of as a student athlete. Or Satou Sabally who also is a big name and has almost 50k followers, and she left college a year early specifically to help out her family financially.

I am curious how socual media revenue plays out for Paige Bueckers. She already has 500k followers on Instagram and that number will likely grow big time in college. That's serious money (several hundred thousand per year) she's missing out on by being a student athlete.

Let the Male BB players " Duke ;) " it out in court. Once the men carve out some compensation, the women (like Paige) will benefit.

Reaction Score

Some of the most followed WBB collegiate athletes on Instagram:
- Hailey Van Lith: 619k
- Paige Bueckers: 501k
- Jaden Owens: 289k
- Zia Cooke: 185k
- Hanna Cavinder: 94.4k
- Haley Cavinder: 91k
- Kysre Gondrezick: 77.8k
- Shaylee Gonzalez: 70.5k
- Cameron Brink: 65.7k
- Olivia Nelson-Ododa: 65.5k

Definitely serious money for Van Lith and Bueckers.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Some of the most followed WBB collegiate athletes on Instagram:
- Hailey Van Lith: 619k
- Paige Bueckers: 501k
- Jaden Owens: 289k
- Zia Cooke: 185k
- Hanna Cavinder: 94.4k
- Haley Cavinder: 91k
- Shaylee Gonzalez: 70.5k
- Cameron Brink: 65.7k
- Olivia Nelson-Ododa: 65.5k

Hailey Van Lith has more followers than Paige. :eek: Did not expect that. and Azzi not in top group :confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom