2019-20 NON-Uconn WCBB News | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2019-20 NON-Uconn WCBB News

Reaction Score
I saw Promise play AAU basketball and volleyball. It always looked like she struggled with running as though there was something structurally not quite right at the age of 15 or so. Sorry to read that the impact of her injuries will take her away from the game of basketball.
I hate that. Oddly enough she look like she struggled more as the season progressed as opposed to getting better. From the perspective of her being a young lady I wish her the best. From everything I’ve seen she looks to be very pleasant and a great teammate. From the perspective of her being a basketball player I hate that she is not able to go forward. She had a lot of potential with her combination of size and agility.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Biggest turnarounds (positive) in the NCAA so far

If it were not for you, we, or at least me, would not know anything about these schools or conferences. Thanks for the information.

Reaction Score
I saw Promise play AAU basketball and volleyball. It always looked like she struggled with running as though there was something structurally not quite right at the age of 15 or so. Sorry to read that the impact of her injuries will take her away from the game of basketball.
I hope she has a healthy and successful life. I watched her at Ole Miss and even then she didn't appear to be in terrific condition but she held her own against McCowan for moments.

There is much more to life than basketball. I am far less concerned about the team impact than I am about her overall health.

Reaction Score
Mikayla Pivec wins Pac-12 WBB scholar athlete of the year! Third OSU WBB player to win this award in 5 years!

She's still leading the vote for the Lowe Senior class award they added her to at 59.4% of the total fan vote.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tremendous day for this young lady..... Big South Player of the Year, Big South Scholar Athlete of the Year, and this as well.

If it were not for you, we, or at least me, would not know anything about these schools or conferences. Thanks for the information.

I love the mid-majors, especially the ones in my area. :cool:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What were Tudor and Fingall thinking? They should've been smart enough to get injured after 9 games in 2018-19 instead of 13 and 12.
Not sure what you're getting at.

Nine games would probably be right at the maximum 30% threshold in terms of number of contests.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not sure what you're getting at.

Nine games would probably be right at the maximum 30% threshold in terms of number of contests.

It's pretty simple. One player plays in 3 more games in an injury shortened season than another player, and for that loses the opportunity for 35+ games in a bonus season. I'm aware of the threshold. Maybe players that get the bonus year should be required to sit out the first half of it. That would be a little closer to being fair. The sarcastic point I was making is that if you are going to get injured, do it as early as possible. But then nobody really plans ahead for getting injured, so much for that idea.

Plebe

Reaction Score
It's pretty simple. One player plays in 3 more games in an injury shortened season than another player, and for that loses the opportunity for 35+ games in a bonus season. I'm aware of the threshold. Maybe players that get the bonus year should be required to sit out the first half of it. That would be a little closer to being fair. The sarcastic point I was making is that if you are going to get injured, do it as early as possible. But then nobody really plans ahead for getting injured, so much for that idea.
Gotta draw the line somewhere. It never seems fair when your favorite players don't get to benefit from it.

Maybe if they have a second injury-shortened season, they can combine the two and get the Daneesha Provo waiver.

Reaction Score
Gotta draw the line somewhere. It never seems fair when your favorite players don't get to benefit from it.

Maybe if they have a second injury-shortened season, they can combine the two and get the Daneesha Provo waiver.
Did Provo actually leave Clemson following an injury? What I remember and read was that her departure was attributed to "personal" reasons after playing about 12 games that season.

Reaction Score
Only freshman All-American. I suspect she’ll be one of the favorites for NPOY next year.
Before you talk NPOY, she needs to beat out the SEC POY and 1st team AA Howard who is only a Sophomore. Then you have fellow 2nd teamers, Dana Evans, ACC POY and McDonald & Carter if they stay who will all be seniors and greater favorites. Boston will also be handicapped since she would be without her incredibly worthy award winning point guard who will have graduated.

Reaction Score
Before you talk NPOY, she needs to beat out the SEC POY and 1st team AA Howard who is only a Sophomore. Then you have fellow 2nd teamers, Dana Evans, ACC POY and McDonald & Carter if they stay who will all be seniors and greater favorites. Boston will also be handicapped since she would be without her incredibly worthy award winning point guard who will have graduated.
If Boston's increase and she has a spectacular sophomore jump, I can see her beating out all of those players. Especially if SC is a top 3 team. Carter, Howard, and McDonald would have to have Plum-like numbers in order to win the award. I dont see their teams being threats for a title. Evans is very good, and Louisville should be in the hunt for a title. I dont think Boston will ever put up the scoring numbers of the players previously. Especially as the rest of her class will get better alongside her.

Reaction Score
Only freshman All-American. I suspect she’ll be one of the favorites for NPOY next year.

The WNBA thinks highly of Boston already. It mentioned that if she was able to come out, she would be a first round pick this year. One GM said, if the team needed a center she could be the first overall pick in the draft. Of course that is one GM opinion.

Plebe

Reaction Score
The WNBA thinks highly of Boston already. It mentioned that if she was able to come out, she would be a first round pick this year. One GM said, if the team needed a center she could be the first overall pick in the draft. Of course that is one GM opinion.
The WNBA said this? Link?

I take it you mean the talent evaluators? I seriously doubt that the league would be issuing official statements on college freshmen.

Reaction Score
The WNBA said this? Link?

I take it you mean the talent evaluators? I seriously doubt that the league would be issuing official statements on college freshmen.
The quote in the article says: "Every WNBA talent evaluator I spoke to said if Boston could be a one-and-done player like in the NBA, she’d get chosen in the first round. One GM even said if a team needed a big, Boston could be the first overall selection among a crop that includes Oregon’s Sabrina Ionescu and Satou Sabally, Baylor’s Lauren Cox and Princeton’s Bella Alarie."

Plebe

Reaction Score
The quote in the article says: "Every WNBA talent evaluator I spoke to said if Boston could be a one-and-done player like in the NBA, she’d get chosen in the first round. One GM even said if a team needed a big, Boston could be the first overall selection among a crop that includes Oregon’s Sabrina Ionescu and Satou Sabally, Baylor’s Lauren Cox and Princeton’s Bella Alarie."
Well duh of course she'd be taken in the 1st round. She's 2nd team AA this year, which should mean she's top 10 among all college players, not to mention the smaller pool of players going to the W.

Reaction Score
Thanks for providing the actual quote. Boston is a load inside and is already a difference-maker for SC with her physicality and strength inside. I think that she has a ways to go to be on the same skill level with Sabally and Cox, but I wouldn't doubt that she would be a Top-5 pick next month if the WNBA did its draft like the NBA does based upon her potential and youth.

Reaction Score
Well duh of course she'd be taken in the 1st round. She's 2nd team AA this year, which should mean she's top 10 among all college players, not to mention the smaller pool of players going to the W.
I was surprised a WNBA GM said they'd explicitly would take her over Sabrina, Satou, & Cox who are currently projected top 3. As to your AA reference, they didn't even mention Ruthy who had similar Freshman stats as Boston and her stats have improved every year where her FG% i now up to 68.5%. She also was a 1st team AA this year Wouldn't that make her top 5?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Washington gets their first '21 commit, Avery Vansickle. 5-9 or 5-10 guard from Aurora, CO. Former HS teammate of Fran Belibi.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Sabrina Ionescu is the USBWA (Ann Meyers Drysdale) Player of the Year,
Ionescu Wins USBWA National Player of the Year - University of Oregon Athletics

In other Oregon news, each of the 5 incoming recruits was the MaxPrep Player of the Year in her respective state (California, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, New Jersey). I also believe that 4 of the 5 led her team to a state championship, with the one that didn't (Tehina PaoPao) a cancelled championship game short of doing so in California (and against a team she had already beaten). MaxPrep has also declared PaoPao's team the #1 high school team in the US. (I think ESPN has them #2.)

Reaction Score
Sabrina Ionescu is the USBWA (Ann Meyers Drysdale) Player of the Year,
Ionescu Wins USBWA National Player of the Year - University of Oregon Athletics

In other Oregon news, each of the 5 incoming recruits was the MaxPrep Player of the Year in her respective state (California, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, New Jersey). I also believe that 4 of the 5 led her team to a state championship, with the one that didn't (Tehina PaoPao) a cancelled championship game short of doing so in California (and against a team she had already beaten). MaxPrep has also declared PaoPao's team the #1 high school team in the US. (I think ESPN has them #2.)
I don’t think Watson, Dugalic, or Parrish won a state championship. All of ended their seasons with losses in the playoffs.

Kentucky did not finish their state tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Washington gets their first '21 commit, Avery Vansickle. 5-9 or 5-10 guard from Aurora, CO. Former HS teammate of Fran Belibi.

And remember Oregon has a 2021 recruit too. Taylor Bigby

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom