2018 wins needed for NCAA bid | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2018 wins needed for NCAA bid

Reaction Score
Would have loved a sweep of Memphis, but I would be satisfied if we continue to take 2 of 3 vs Houston and ECU. Have 2 road New England games prior to Houston this weekend. Northeastern is going to be a tough one, but we can't lay an egg vs SH.

Still "all Green" below.

Go Huskies

Current record.. season goal
11 - 7 / .611 % .... 14 - 10 / .583 % - AAC regular season
0- 0 / .000% .... 2 - 2 / .500 - AAC tourney
7- 0-1 / .938% ... 11 - 2 / .846 - New England games
9-7/ .562.... 9 - 7/ .562- Other games

Post season Criteria
(1) 27-14-1 .655 ..... 36-21 / .631 - Overall record

(2) 16... <50- RPI

(3) 2nd - Top 4 AAC

CHART Code
red = below goal
green = at or above goal
black = not yet applicable

The weather is looking good for UConn playing 2 midweek games this week. With all the rainouts and cancellations, the amazing thing is this will be the first time all season that UConn has played 2 midweek games. With Cate not having pitched in quite some time and Gardner on limited innings as a starter due to his injury, this could very well put a big strain on UConn's pitching staff. With Kersten needed for the weekend, I would think Dunlop will get one of these starts, and the other one will be a staff day, perhaps started by Joe Simeone.

At this point, even if Cate does come back to the starting rotation soon, it doesn't seem likely that he will be his old self and capable of going 7 or 8 innings every start. I may be proving to be a worry wart here, but this is a big concern for the post season, both in terms of the AAC conference tournament and the NCAA tourney. Both tournaments pretty much require that a team have 4 or 5 starters that can give you a bunch of innings, and that is the model UConn had in the beginning of the season with both Cate and Gardner healthy. It is not the case at this point of the season, so to me it is definitely a big point of concern with the post season ready to take off in about 2 weeks.

I'm inclined to think that if UConn had a healthy Cate UConn would have swept Memphis. As it is, it is rather amazing that with the injuries to the starting pitching that the Huskies have been able to take as many AAC series as they have.

Reaction Score
CB82D0C9-4303-43A1-BDF7-FB4F6590ECEA.jpeg
Courtesy of Boyd’s World RPI needs

Reaction Score
The weather is looking good for UConn playing 2 midweek games this week. With all the rainouts and cancellations, the amazing thing is this will be the first time all season that UConn has played 2 midweek games. With Cate not having pitched in quite some time and Gardner on limited innings as a starter due to his injury, this could very well put a big strain on UConn's pitching staff. With Kersten needed for the weekend, I would think Dunlop will get one of these starts, and the other one will be a staff day, perhaps started by Joe Simeone.

At this point, even if Cate does come back to the starting rotation soon, it doesn't seem likely that he will be his old self and capable of going 7 or 8 innings every start. I may be proving to be a worry wart here, but this is a big concern for the post season, both in terms of the AAC conference tournament and the NCAA tourney. Both tournaments pretty much require that a team have 4 or 5 starters that can give you a bunch of innings, and that is the model UConn had in the beginning of the season with both Cate and Gardner healthy. It is not the case at this point of the season, so to me it is definitely a big point of concern with the post season ready to take off in about 2 weeks.

I'm inclined to think that if UConn had a healthy Cate UConn would have swept Memphis. As it is, it is rather amazing that with the injuries to the starting pitching that the Huskies have been able to take as many AAC series as they have.
If Cate is ready to come back I would suggest 3-4 innings on Wednesday's game to shake some rust.
Then start Sunday's game vs Houston

Reaction Score
If Cate is ready to come back I would suggest 3-4 innings on Wednesday's game to shake some rust.
Then start Sunday's game vs Houston

Chris Jones did not sound like Tim Cate would necessarily be back for the Houston series. Hence, my concern about the post season.

Reaction Score
If he’s not ready to start maybe he can be the third bullpen piece

Good thought. It had crossed my mind as well. I recall that Anthony Kay one year was used this way during one particular AAC tourney, and I thought it worked out well.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If he could give us the middle innings which has been a weakness now that Karsten is starting.

Reaction Score
If Cate was throwing off a mound a few weeks ago and has yet to appear in any sort of rehab appearance (ie out of the bullpen), I would guess that he had some kind of set back. At this point, we may want to just assume he is out for the season.

Reaction Score
If Cate was throwing off a mound a few weeks ago and has yet to appear in any sort of rehab appearance (ie out of the bullpen), I would guess that he had some kind of set back. At this point, we may want to just assume he is out for the season.
News looks good for Cate. He’ll be throwing live BP Friday. Barring no setbacks we may see him this weekend

Reaction Score
Baseball America Projected Field Of 64 (5/9/18)

They have ECU as the #16 host. UConn as the #2 in Lubbock Texas Regional:

Lubbock, TX
1. (11) Texas Tech^
2. Connecticut
3. Arizona
4. Wagner*

UCF (2), USF (2), and Houston (a 3 and one of last 4 in) also projected in.

Reaction Score
News looks good for Cate. He’ll be throwing live BP Friday. Barring no setbacks we may see him this weekend

From what my wife was saying about what Chris Jones said during the game today, it is more likely he would be back for the East Carolina series.

Reaction Score
From what my wife was saying about what Chris Jones said during the game today, it is more likely he would be back for the East Carolina series.
the fact that your wife listens to Chris Jones and the games makes me like her without even knowing her....great news about Cate though...

Fingers and toes crossed

Reaction Score
the fact that your wife listens to Chris Jones and the games makes me like her without even knowing her....

My wife is a huge baseball fan. She was in heaven when Chris Jones spent a season as the Connecticut Tigers radio guy a couple of years ago.

Reaction Score
Two nice wins vs New England foes. Brings our NE record to 9 -0-1. This is huge, in that we did not lose 1 game to an RPI killing NE team. Playing real gutty baseball. Really like this teams mental toughness. All this without our best pitcher ( Cate).

Will be at game on Saturday ( hope no rain). Lets win another AAC series.

Go Huskies

11 - 7 / .611 % .... 14 - 10 / .583 % - AAC regular season
9- 0-1 / .950% ... 11 - 2 / .846 - New England games

Post season Criteria
(1) 29-14-1 .670 ..... 36-21 / .631 - Overall record

(2) 16... <50- RPI

(3) 2nd - Top 4 AAC

CHART Code
red = below goal
green = at or above goal
black = not yet applicable

Reaction Score
In conference RPI, the SEC looks to be securely in the number 1 spot. The ACC and the Big 12 are in a virtual tie for second. Not to far behind the ACC and the Big 12 is the AAC. It is not inconceivable that the AAC could finish second in the RPI, it is that close. However, Central Florida and Oklahoma are playing a three game series this weekend, and in today's game Oklahoma has a 7-2 lead in the 7th inning, so that will widen the gap a bit if Oklahoma maintains its lead for the win.

2018 College Baseball Conference RPI - WarrenNolan.com

Reaction Score
Hate to be overly dramatic, but I keep thinking today is a must win game. Not so much for making tourney, but to keep our confidence going and not get onto a possible longish losing streak. I probably should not say this, but I have confidence we are bouncing back today.

Our goals still " all green" as of now, but need a win to keep it that way.

Happy Mother's Day to all and GO Huskies

11 -9 / .550 .... 14 - 10 / .583 % - AAC regular season
9- 0-1 / .950% ... 11 - 2 / .846 - New England games

Post season Criteria
(1) 29-16-1 .641 ..... 36-21 / .631 - Overall record

(2) 18... <50- RPI

(3) 4th- Top 4 AAC

CHART Code
red = below goal