2018 wins needed for NCAA bid | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2018 wins needed for NCAA bid

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Yea, Vandy is the least scary SEC team imaginable. Very young and inconsistent.

Reaction Score
Interesting that BA projects Houston in but not UCF. The Coogs have been surging late, but their early season struggles really set them back re: RPI. This weekend series at ECU will be massive (as will the series be when they play us).

Reaction Score
Postseason Stock Report: Week 10 | D1Baseball.com
D1 has UConn as a team that is secure* as a host.

*D1’s meaning of secure-“This discussion is weighted more toward performance to date and remaining schedule than projection based on talent, but it’s also not intended to show exactly what the field would look like if the season ended today.”

Reaction Score
I suspect UConn could win a lot of upcoming games and not maintain a high enough RPI that is key to getting a NCAA tourney host seed. Just look at what happened in the last several games. UConn went on the road and won 2 out of 3 against Cincinnati, and then beat Holy Cross on the road as well. UConn ended up dropping from about 8 to 13 in the RPI in the process. UConn has built its RPI to where it is now from winning plenty of road games which provide extra oomph to the RPI calculation. Neither Cincinnati nor Holy Cross have horrible RPI’s, yet UConn dropped.

UConn has 5 road games and 10 home games left, so regular season road games are running out for the Huskies. I suspect that it is possible that UConn could win most of these remaining games and still drop a bit more in the RPI. Of the games left, the series against East Carolina and the game against Northeastern are the only ones against teams with a top 50 RPI at this point. This is balanced out by the series against Memphis and the Sacred Heart game, teams that are below 200 in the RPI. The rest of the teams that are on UConn's schedule currently range from 80 to 100 in the RPI.

UConn’s best shot at getting a host seed would be to finish either first or second in the AAC regular season. The Huskies are currently fourth in the conference standings, 1.5 games out of first place. UConn would probably have to sweep at Memphis (the Tigers have won only 1 conference game so far, so that would match the other teams in the league). UConn would also have to continue taking 2 out of 3 in the other three remaining conference series. In addition, I suspect it would really help if UConn sweeps one of the remaining teams, but from what we have seen in this league that is a really difficult accomplishment. As far as I’m concerned, winning each AAC series weekend is hardly an easy task, as this is hardly an easy league to compete in. As for the remaining nonconference games, UConn might need to win them all. Personally, I would consider it an amazing accomplishment not to lose any New England games in any season, even with all the rain outs, as that sort of thing just doesn’t happen in baseball. It would be even more amazing this season considering all the injuries to the pitching staff. For me at least, this season is not going to be a disappointment if UConn does not happen to host the NCAA first round.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Winning the conference tournament will be paramount to our hosting chances. I don't think we host without winning the tournament, unless we can host as a 2 seed again.

Reaction Score
Winning the conference tournament will be paramount to our hosting chances. I don't think we host without winning the tournament, unless we can host as a 2 seed again.

UConn would probably have to finish first or second in the AAC and win the conference tournament in order to host. That would be quite a feather in the team's collective cap.

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

I have to imagine that the yard goats mgmt are kicking themselves. I don't know how much control they have over their schedule but it would be a good idea to request road games during regional weekend moving forward. I'm not saying we expect to be there every year, but an extra 4 days of income is nothing to sneeze at.

Reaction Score
I have to imagine that the yard goats mgmt are kicking themselves. I don't know how much control they have over their schedule but it would be a good idea to request road games during regional weekend moving forward. I'm not saying we expect to be there every year, but an extra 4 days of income is nothing to sneeze at.

I have to imagine they aren't.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Literally all of his tweets today have been about UConn or Rice. Of course, for Rice the tweets have been about Graham being forced out...

FWIW, Graham's angry wife attacked a current Rice player on twitter after a critical tweet of Graham. Fun!

I cannot wait until Cate returns. With how we have hit and fielded recently, he will love pitching for us again.

Reaction Score
I know this is a stretch, but maybe he is counting all those pitchers as one position player. Nah, I don't think so either.

Reaction Score
I truly appreciate the effort that it takes to maintain this thread. And I thank you for it.

Having said that, we are well past the halfway point of the season, we are 13th in the rpi and we have overwhelmingly home games left on the schedule. I hope that no one's goal associated with the program is just making the tournament at this point.

Thanks for your statement, but I love doing this because it keeps me involved in every game. Many of you here are really the backbone of UConn baseball info. Don't want to be specific, because I know I will miss someone. But I thank all of you with keeping me ( and the Boneyard) updated on games and team info.

I agree with you that we now have a goal of hosting a Regional. That would be awesome. Maybe next year I have 2 charts. First one is just to make tourney and second to host regional.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I am Italian so I believe in jinxes. Don't want to think about regional hosting as of yet. Because if I do, i feel I will jinx team and they then go on a 3 -4 game losing streak. I am rooting for us to get a tourney bid, anything more will be gravy.

Go Huskies

Reaction Score
Literally all of his tweets today have been about UConn or Rice. Of course, for Rice the tweets have been about Graham being forced out...

FWIW, Graham's angry wife attacked a current Rice player on twitter after a critical tweet of Graham. Fun!

I cannot wait until Cate returns. With how we have hit and fielded recently, he will love pitching for us again.

We had a pitcher from Rice last year who we were shocked to see had as little coaching there as he got. Basic, basic, basic stuff.

I dunno if it's an energy thing or what, but that program has literally been skating by on talent for years it seems.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
The only possibility I can think of is Broadhurst, and I find it hard to believe he would see any PT at this point in the season.

Yeah that couldn't have been what they meant. The funny thing is, I had a feeling I had forgotten something, but perhaps not.

We had a pitcher from Rice last year who we were shocked to see had as little coaching there as he got. Basic, basic, basic stuff.

I dunno if it's an energy thing or what, but that program has literally been skating by on talent for years it seems.

"Rice Rising with Riser" is a cute tag I found on their forum. Sadly the AD is an idiot and will probably hire Berkman instead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom