2018 wins needed for NCAA bid | Page 12 | The Boneyard

2018 wins needed for NCAA bid

Reaction Score
So far, from the Northeast part of the country Army, Hartford, LIU Brooklyn, Canisius, and Columbia have earned auto bids. St. John’s is in the BE final today v Seton Hall, and will qualify either way (winning BE or at-large). Northeastern should get an at-large, but who the hell knows with the committee. Their RPI is 35, but got knocked out of their tourney before the final by Wagner. They should be hoping for all the favorites to win their conference tourneys today. Bryant spit the bit in their tourney, so their season is over.

Would be great if we had an all NE region of 1 UConn, 2 SJU, 3 Northeastern, 4 Hartford/LIU/Canisius. Long shot, but a boy can dream.
Almost guaranteed that there will be a team shipped in from the southeast as there are looking to be 11 SEC teams and another half a dozen ACC teams.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
So far, from the Northeast part of the country Army, Hartford, LIU Brooklyn, Canisius, and Columbia have earned auto bids. St. John’s is in the BE final today v Seton Hall, and will qualify either way (winning BE or at-large). Northeastern should get an at-large, but who the hell knows with the committee. Their RPI is 35, but got knocked out of their tourney before the final by Wagner. They should be hoping for all the favorites to win their conference tourneys today. Bryant spit the bit in their tourney, so their season is over.

Would be great if we had an all NE region of 1 UConn, 2 SJU, 3 Northeastern, 4 Hartford/LIU/Canisius. Long shot, but a boy can dream.
Northeastern lost in CAA final to unc Wilmington Guys at D1 baseball think they're out

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Since DIBaseball has Louisville as on the bubble for a host seed, does their loss in the ACC champ game help us a little in getting to host?

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Why are Texas and Coastal better candidates than UConn for hosts? Just curioius. The numbers don’t look that much more impressive. Especially Texas...Do they really need 5 regionals in the Carolinas? I feel like that might work in our favor.

Reaction Score
Why are Texas and Coastal better candidates than UConn for hosts? Just curioius. The numbers don’t look that much more impressive. Especially Texas...Do they really need 5 regionals in the Carolinas? I feel like that might work in our favor.

If we get left out over Texas/Coastal, it's likely due to Texas winning the Regular Season Championship of the #2 RPI conference and Coastal sweeping the SunBelt titles.

Reaction Score

I think the easy answer is:

They aren't.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the easy answer is:

They aren't.

Coastal Carolina (despite losing to UConn earlier in the season) has consistently been ranked higher than UConn in all the polls for most of the year...

Reaction Score
Coastal Carolina (despite losing to UConn earlier in the season) has consistently been ranked higher than UConn in all the polls for most of the year...

True, but UConn beat them (as you said) and UConn's RPI is higher.

Add in geographic diversity and I still think UConn's argument is stronger.

Reaction Score
True, but UConn beat them (as you said) and UConn's RPI is higher.

Add in geographic diversity and I still think UConn's argument is stronger.

Coastal Carolina strength of schedule is significantly higher...

I’m not rooting against UConn hosting, it’s just not necessarily a slam dunk over CC.

Reaction Score
Coastal Carolina strength of schedule is significantly higher...

I’m not rooting against UConn hosting, it’s just not necessarily a slam dunk over CC.

We'll never be able to compete with Southern schools when it comes to SOS.

Mid-week games vs South Carolina/Clemson/UNC/Wake instead of Hartford/CCSU/UMass-Lowell/Bryant.

Reaction Score

Mid-week games vs South Carolina/Clemson/UNC/Wake instead of Hartford/CCSU/UMass-Lowell/Bryant.

Upon further reflection...

WE ARE DOOOOOOMED

Reaction Score

Bryant should not be in this list. They have an RPI of 88 this season, and they usually have a very good team, one of the best in New England. Boston College and Rhode Island are always solid in the RPI department as well.

Reaction Score
D1Baseball still has UConn as on the bubble (in) for hosting the 1st round:

Postseason Snapshot: May 27 | D1Baseball.com

>>UConn held steady at No. 16 in the RPI after losing to East Carolina in the AAC tournament championship game. At this point, we think both AAC finalists are on track to host, but the Pirates now feel like a lock, with a No. 12 RPI and the tournament championship under their belts. UConn gives the field some geographic diversity, but that’s not the only reason it gets the edge over NC State, Coastal Carolina, Louisville and Duke. Northern teams with that kind of RPI generally wind up hosting, assuming they performed well in conference. UConn is also 11-9 vs. the top 50, which is actually better than NC State (9-8), Louisville (9-10) and Duke (6-7), who have enormous geographic advantages over UConn when it comes to midweek scheduling, in particular. And UConn is 22-13-1 against the top 100, which also compares favorably to those three ACC teams.<<

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Sure, we're mostly homers, but it seems to me that it reinforces the narrative that northern teams are at an overall disadvantage in the pecking order if the NCAA forces the northeastern teams to travel all over the country to regionals. When they have the opportunity and the metrics work, they should give a little preference in favor of at least one northeastern host location. Forcing teams that have limited early season home scheduling options to travel again is just another disadvantage for the weather challenged northern teams.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Who is on the committee?

Chris Del Conte (Texas)
Kevin Anderson (MD)
Whit Babcock (VA Tech)
Dave Blank (Elon)
Mike Buddie (Furman)
Joe Karlgaard (Rice)
Steve Robertello (Fresno St.)
Benjamin Shove (NEC)