2018 Team USA | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2018 Team USA

Reaction Score
I would absolutely take Ionescu if Bird is on the team. Ionescu is clearly the future at PG for the USAB team. She could be one of the best guards to come out of WCBB since DT. We are building for the future and the future of PG on the USA team should NOT be Kelsey Plum.
I agree Ionescu is and will be an all time great guard.
I do though think Kelsey Plum will also be close behind her.
It might just be a good idea to keep both.
I'm big on guards who can not only score but help others. Plum is making that adjustment from the player she was in college.
Bronx23

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Phee made the cut?? They are traveling with 16 and after today's game against Senegal had not made the cuts. Phee 7 points; didn't shoot well. 9 rebounds 8 assists I believe in 24+ minutes; so they are looking hard at her, but the game was never in doubt.

USA Races to 109-58 Exhibition Win Over Senegal

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The website shows 16 players. They need to cut 4 and probably will do so about Tuesday. The last "friendly" is tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
The website shows 16 players. They need to cut 4 and probably will do so about Tuesday. The last "friendly" is tomorrow night.

Yeah, the final cuts should happen tomorrow after the game.

It’s a different coach this time, but in 2014 all the players who ended up being the final cuts got ZERO minutes in the final exhibition game. I’ll be keeping a close eye to see if something like that happens this time.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

It’s a different coach this time, but in 2014 all the players who ended up being the final cuts got ZERO minutes in the final exhibition game. I’ll be keeping a close eye to see if something like that happens this time.
I don't expect the Seattle trio to be there for tomorrow's game, and I'm not sure where EDD is or what her status is. I think the cuts depend on whether Elena flies over and can play.

I think Kelsey Mitchell and Elizabeth Williams get cut. It could be close between Tiffany Mitchell and Clarendon. I think one of the Huskies makes it. If Elena doesn't come, both may make it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This week, we'll have the WNBA MVP join the fold.

We'll also get the Masked Marvel, whose USA Basketball bio includes this:

• Eight medals in Olympics and World Championships is equal only to Teresa Edwards in international majors. Bird has seven gold medals and one bronze medal among the two events, while Edwards has six gold medals and two bronze medals.
  • Is the most decorated FIBA World Cup athlete in history, male or female, owning three gold medals (2002, 2010, 2014) and one bronze medal (2006). Also, is the only female four-time FIBA World Cup medalist.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Today's minutes:

K. Mitchell, 0 minutes

T. Mitchell, 5 minutes

E. Williams, 4 minutes

Does EDD come? If not, do both Tuck and Collier make it? Does Jewell make it despite missing most of camp? Does Clarendon make it?

Reaction Score
Today's minutes:

K. Mitchell, 0 minutes

T. Mitchell, 5 minutes

E. Williams, 4 minutes

KMitch never came back, so I’ve been assuming she’ll just stay home, especially being a bubble player.

So if all 4 of the WNBA Finals players come over, that means you’d have to cut one more besides the three you listed. Who would that be?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I posted this in the France thread but... I think we know who the locks are but it will be fascinating to see what they do with the others to round out the team. MY $.02

Locks:
  1. Dee
  2. Sue
  3. Stewie
  4. Tina
  5. Griner
  6. Wilson
Almost locks:
  1. Delle Donne (not sure if she will show up depending on her health - she's a lock if they ask)
  2. Plum
  3. Ogwumike
Bubble:
  1. Clarendon
  2. Tuck
  3. Collier
  4. Loyd
  5. EWilliams
Likely cut:
  1. Mitchell (Tiff)
  2. Mitchell (Kelsey)
Who am I missing? Still can't figure out why Howard and Bonner (and Tolliver for that matter) weren't added to the pool... IF EDD does not come, I think both Tuck and Colllier make it. If not, it will be interesting to see what they do with them and Loyd/Clarendon. I think one of those 4 would be cut...

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Eric - I like your list but based on the games to date I would move Clarendon up one group - she is a good defender and has been getting the starts. USA doesn't need that much scoring from that spot with DT and Plum.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
KMitch never came back, so I’ve been assuming she’ll just stay home, especially being a bubble player.

So if all 4 of the WNBA Finals players come over, that means you’d have to cut one more besides the three you listed. Who would that be?
Did I misread it? I thought that Kelsey Mitchell flew back.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury) led the way with 16 points, six assists and five rebounds, and she was named MVP of the four-team, round-robin tournament, which saw France finish second, Canada third and Senegal in fourth place."

I guess France was 2-1, Canada 1-2, and Senegal 0-3.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dawn: "But, it will be good to add three Olympians to the fold." It sounds as if Elena is going to Europe.

Reaction Score
That leaves 8 forwards and 5 guards.
Looks like Clarendon will make the final cut.
Griner, Charles, Williams as centers, EDD, Stewie, Wilson, Nneka, Sue, Diana, Loyd. Plum. and Clarendon are my picks for the final team as long as EDD can go. Morgan will make it if EDD is unable to compete.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Morgan makes the team based on her versatility and maturity. I sure hope she does. She has both Curt Miller and Geno in her corner.

Reaction Score
B6559CD3-25BB-493A-BDC5-3530F6E3D0F7.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom