2018 Team USA | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2018 Team USA

Reaction Score
92DA79FB-81B8-4232-A949-AA34D3EB9933.jpeg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Useful preview of World Cup here

10 Things to Know About the 2018 FIBA Women's Basketball World Cup - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

In this year’s World Cup, the expected top challengers include…

1. Australia – If there’s any team that can knock off USABWNT and prevent their gold three-peat, it’s the Australians — along with Brazil, the only team to have won this tournament in the past two decades-plus. Coached by former WNBA champion Sandy Brondello of the Phoenix Mercury, Australia is jam-packed with familiar WNBA faces like Rebecca Allen (New York Liberty), Liz Cambage (Dallas Wings), Cayla George (Dallas Wings), Leilani Mitchell (Phoenix Mercury) and Stephanie Talbott (Phoenix Mercury). Cambage alone could make the team a contender, coming off a breakthrough season in which she led the WNBA in scoring and posted a record 53-point game. The Aussies could challenge the Americans early on if they finish second in their grouping, as the winner of the Quarter-Final Qualifiers will face USABWNT in the Quarter-FInals.
  2. Spain – The host country is not one to miss either. Currently No. 2 in FIBA’s rankings, the Spaniards won the 2017 FIBA EuroBasket qualifier and look to continue pressing forward into the World Cup. Although they suffered a great loss to their roster in Sancho Lyttle (ACL), Spain still will be a major competitor in the tournament. With 2x EuroLeague champion and 15-year Spanish National Team veteran Laia Palau, 2017 EuroBasket tournament MVP Alba Torrens and 2014 WNBA second-round pick Astou Ndour (currently with Chicago Sky), Spain could challenge the Americans later on in the tournament in either the Finals or Semifinals.
  3. France – USA has another major competitor in No. 3-ranked France, who is led by WNBA vet Sandrine Gruda. Gruda plays alongside Endy Miyem, who spent the last year with the Minnesota Lynx under USABWNT assistant coach Cheryl Reeve. The French just recently faced off against USA in an exhibition in Antibes and showed that they are not a team to doubt. Although the Americans pulled away in the final five minutes to win, 77-60, Gruda (12 PTS) and Marine Johannes (11 PTS) made it a tough battle down the stretch. This French team could also challenge the Americans early in a potential quarterfinals matchup.
  4. Canada – Another team to watch out for during the tournament is one not too far from the USA, and that’s Canada. In one of the final domestic USAB domestic exhibitions, Canada looked primed and ready to make a statement. In that exhibition, New York Liberty rookie Kia Nurse dropped a game-high 22 points for the Canadians, who led most of the game until the fourth quarter, when USA outscored them 26-12. Although Canada has taken a major hit in losing Kayla Alexander from the Indiana Fever due to injury, they still have a strong piece in forward Natalie Achonwa (Indiana Fever) and an experienced roster. Veteran leader Miranda Ayim has been a part of the national team since 2005 and even led them to the 2017 FIBA Women’s AmeriCup title. Don’t be surprised if Canada makes a deep run.

Reaction Score
Team USA played a scrimmage against Australia. Not much detail about it other than the new arrivals got their first chance to play with the team against competition.

USA Passes Final Pre-World Cup Test in Scrimmage Victory Over Australia

Tina Charles (New York Liberty) scored 15 points, and Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury) dished out four assists. Charles and Kelsey Plum (Las Vegas Aces) each grabbed six rebounds.

No word on who played for Australia and how they did. If Cambage sat out, for instance, that’d make a huge difference.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Really an interesting mix of the "old guard" and new blood. Five of the 12 (Clarendon, Loyd, Plum, Wilson, Tuck) have never played in a World Cup or Olympics before.

Six months ago, I never would have guessed that Plum, Loyd and Clarendon would beat out the likes of Diggins and Sims in the backcourt.

And Morgan Tuck! Wow!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really an interesting mix of the "old guard" and new blood. Five of the 12 (Clarendon, Loyd, Plum, Wilson, Tuck) have never played in a World Cup or Olympics before.

Six months ago, I never would have guessed that Plum, Loyd and Clarendon would beat out the likes of Diggins and Sims in the backcourt.

And Morgan Tuck! Wow!
It remains a really curious situation with all the 'pool' players who chose not to make themselves available. One can understand the veteran players with injuries or exhaustion, but for those who have yet to establish themselves ...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
PG -Bird
SG - Taurasi
F - Stewart
F - Tuck
F/C - Charles

Sounds like a gold medal team to me !!! :D

3 WNBA MVP's, 1 g.o.a.t. at her position, and a 4X NCAA champion who can do a little bit of everything. Not a shabby group of 5.

Yeah, I like their chances of returning from the games with GOLD medals hanging around their necks. :cool:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Small sample size, but Plum shot 64% from 3, wow!

Is it surprising the final cut included 3 PGs? Team seems to be mostly post players and guards, I don't really see a traditional small forward. Some of the players are maybe combo forwards, or certainly stretch 4s, plenty of versatility, but just seems like there's plenty of duplication but a bit of a missing part. Not even sure which player that was cut would've best filled that role.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Congratulations to everyone who made the team, specifically to the UCONN alums, and especially proud of Morgan. I'm not sure if her knee issues are in the rear view window permanently, but for non starters like her (and Clarendon) to make the team is especially exciting for them.

And also for all the 1st timers. I hope they all have an amazing experience and hope this gives them a leg up over the players who chose to stay home (notwithstanding those with injuries). Go USA! Go UConn alums!

Reaction Score
Really don't think this team, and offense is a fit for EDD, and Stewie. They are not stand in the lane, and feed me type of players, their talent will be wasted on this team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It remains a really curious situation with all the 'pool' players who chose not to make themselves available. One can understand the veteran players with injuries or exhaustion, but for those who have yet to establish themselves ...

Congratulations to everyone who made the team, specifically to the UCONN alums, and especially proud of Morgan. I'm not sure if her knee issues are in the rear view window permanently, but for non starters like her (and Clarendon) to make the team is especially exciting for them.

And also for all the 1st timers. I hope they all have an amazing experience and hope this gives them a leg up over the players who chose to stay home (notwithstanding those with injuries). Go USA! Go UConn alums!

UcMiami, EricLA:

I'm on record in one of these posts that I was perplexed by many of the players in the pool who chose not to accept an invitation into the camp and try out for a place on the World Cup team. Of course, I (very much) had my fellow ND alums Skylar Diggins and Kayla McBride (K-Mac) in mind, if not in e-print. Who knows whether there are injuries, illnesses or personal situations that may be at hand for either/or. If so, I hope those issues are addressed. If not, disappointed not to see them go after a situation that they've been on the brink of cracking a few times.

That said, I'd like to congratulate all of our current U.S. team, including all the veterans and newcomers, numerous UConn alums and our one ND representative, Ms. Jewell Loyd! Glad to see Morgan Tuck able to play at an optimum level and (hopefully) not in pain.

Staying on the continent, all power to Kia Nurse (UConn) and Natalie "Ace" Achonwa (ND) for representing Canada.

Best to both teams but let's go U.S.!

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Small sample size, but Plum shot 64% from 3, wow!

Is it surprising the final cut included 3 PGs? Team seems to be mostly post players and guards, I don't really see a traditional small forward. Some of the players are maybe combo forwards, or certainly stretch 4s, plenty of versatility, but just seems like there's plenty of duplication but a bit of a missing part. Not even sure which player that was cut would've best filled that role.
Kelsey shot 43.9%, fourth best in the W this year, and just behind her idol, Sue Bird.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

And Morgan Tuck! Wow!
They did beat out Sims, but Skylar declined the invitation. I think that Plum is a solid selection. She improved a lot in her last 1.5 WNBA seasons. Jewell has lots of plusses and some minuses, but she can play well with Sue and Stewie. I thought Clarendon was borderline, but she's a decent player and competed hard. She was the best option as the 3rd PG of those available.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kelsey shot 43.9%, fourth best in the W this year, and just behind her idol, Sue Bird.

I thought she was leading the league right before the end of the season. She went 0-3 in the finale but was 4-7 the previous game, so no big drop off. Maybe I'm misremembering. Anyway she proved to be a dangerous shooter behind the arc this season. She always had 3 point range but really improved her % her Sr. year of college. After struggling some with shooting as a rookie she got back to being fairly efficient this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom