2018 Team USA | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2018 Team USA

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Looking at the overall stats, Clarendon was the starter but Plum played more minutes and was more productive. Taurasi is really a 3rd PG if 2 isn't enough. Seems like overkill at that position. Did they ever had a 3rd PG all those years that Bird and Whalen were mainstays with the National Team?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Kelsey shot 43.9%, fourth best in the W this year, and just behind her idol, Sue Bird.

If you count only the 2nd half of the season where she it really clicked for her , I would guess it is closer to 50%. She is really a phenomenal shooter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking at the overall stats, Clarendon was the starter but Plum played more minutes and was more productive. Taurasi is really a 3rd PG if 2 isn't enough. Seems like overkill at that position. Did they ever had a 3rd PG all those years that Bird and Whalen were mainstays with the National Team?
I think Plum made the team quickly, and Clarendon played more so USAB could compare her to the Mitchells.

Reaction Score
This team might struggle to win the Gold Medal. It wouldn't surprise me to see them lose.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Is it surprising the final cut included 3 PGs? Team seems to be mostly post players and guards, I don't really see a traditional small forward. Some of the players are maybe combo forwards, or certainly stretch 4s, plenty of versatility, but just seems like there's plenty of duplication but a bit of a missing part. Not even sure which player that was cut would've best filled that role.

I posted, possibly in this thread, that I thought Collier's chances were pretty good because she (and EDD if you count her, which I do) were the only small forwards invited. I was obviously wrong about Collier making the team. And Clarendon, who I'm surprised made it.

I don't get a chance to see much international basketball. Is it possible that it lends itself to big front lines and an extra point guard?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Well it's sorta like try outs and insurance for 2020...No? Remeber until Sue lit up this year we were all wringing our hands about where are the guards they should be bringing up.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think USA is looking at the age at guard and making sure they have some good youth getting experience because there is no guarantee that DT or Sue will be available in 2020 - the forwards and centers are young and have plenty of mileage still left in them.

I am not sure that Jewell, Kelsey, or Layshia will become long term fixtures on the team but they are getting their chance now and will just have to wait and see. The WC has been a frequent testing ground for young blood since vets seem to have more 'issues' with their availability to the USA team than they do with the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Comparing the present team with the last Olympic champion team: Plum, Clarendon, Loyd, Ogwumike, Tuck, and Wilson replace Whalen, Augustus, Moore, McCoughtry, Catchings, and Fowles. The Minnesota Lynx contingent is out. I have doubts about Plum and Wilson. They couldn't save Las Vegas. I think Ogwumike is the best of the six new players. She played well with Stewart at the previous world championships.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I posted, possibly in this thread, that I thought Collier's chances were pretty good because she (and EDD if you count her, which I do) were the only small forwards invited. I was obviously wrong about Collier making the team. And Clarendon, who I'm surprised made it.

I don't get a chance to see much international basketball. Is it possible that it lends itself to big front lines and an extra point guard?
I actually think Collier does not provide anything more in terms of 'small' forward than Tuck, EDD or Stewart - Collier is not yet a threat from three point land where Tuck Stewart and EDD are comfortable. Collier is currently primarily a 15' and in offensive player.

I love Collier as a player, just not quite her time yet.

Reaction Score
Comparing the present team with the last Olympic champion team: Plum, Clarendon, Loyd, Ogwumike, Tuck, and Wilson replace Whalen, Augustus, Moore, McCoughtry, Catchings, and Fowles. The Minnesota Lynx contingent is out. I have doubts about Plum and Wilson. They couldn't save Las Vegas. I think Ogwumike is the best of the six new players. She played well with Stewart at the previous world championships.
You have doubts with Plum and Wilson, more than Loyd, Clarendon, and Tuck? Because they couldn't save a Vegas team? Hmm, okay that may be feasible. But Wilson and Plum have been playing very good in all of the scrimmages. Most posters have believed them to be "locks" for the team since the first set of scrimmages. If I doubted anyone it would be Clarendon and Tuck. They come off of the bench for the Sun. However, I choose not to doubt any of them because a lot of players skipped out on camp. These ladies took the opportunity given to them and made the team.

Reaction Score
The next complete point guard for the US team will be Moriah Jefferson.
She hasn't been able to stay healthy. The best ability is availability. When she was a rookie I thought she would be up next, but unfortunately she hasn't. I don't think she is the up next PG. That is Plum or Ioenscu at the moment

Reaction Score
The final roster is pretty solid overall. I know injuries kept out at least Maya and Fowles but 6 returners and 6 newbies isn't a bad mix at all.

Nneka and Aja seem like terrific choices to add with Stewart, Charles and Griner. The guard situation continues to surprise me. Clarendon, Loyd and Plum are all solid but I would feel better with Diggins, McBride and Gray. Still all of them turned down their opportunities and we may never know why. Tuck is definitely talented and could be a big difference maker. I was unsure after some of her time in college if she would be able to play successfully with her knee problems but perhaps those are behind her.

Of course I want the players who want be there and are able to play. I don't think Gold is a slam dunk for this team and think there will be more close games than when we last played in the Olympics. I've posted often enough about this being a transition year for the national team and maybe the mix is the right one for this group of coaches.

KLS, Collier and Ionescu are all on the radar for the national team and could join the team by 2020. Bird and DT are in this cycle for sure but I suspect both are taking it one season and tournament at a time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The final roster is pretty solid overall. I know injuries kept out at least Maya and Fowles but 6 returners and 6 newbies isn't a bad mix at all.

Nneka and Aja seem like terrific choices to add with Stewart, Charles and Griner. The guard situation continues to surprise me. Clarendon, Loyd and Plum are all solid but I would feel better with Diggins, McBride and Gray. Still all of them turned down their opportunities and we may never know why. Tuck is definitely talented and could be a big difference maker. I was unsure after some of her time in college if she would be able to play successfully with her knee problems but perhaps those are behind her.

Of course I want the players who want be there and are able to play. I don't think Gold is a slam dunk for this team and think there will be more close games than when we last played in the Olympics. I've posted often enough about this being a transition year for the national team and maybe the mix is the right one for this group of coaches.

KLS, Collier and Ionescu are all on the radar for the national team and could join the team by 2020. Bird and DT are in this cycle for sure but I suspect both are taking it one season and tournament at a time.

I think you underrate Plum. She is on the verge of being a superstar in the league and is already in her second year as mentally tough as anyone. I do agree with Gray (for the same reason). Diggins can go off the rails so no thanks. I like McBride's physicality and fire so I would have as my wish list Plum, McBride and Gray. Giving up some speed but adding alot of guts. jmho.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She hasn't been able to stay healthy. The best ability is availability. When she was a rookie I thought she would be up next, but unfortunately she hasn't. I don't think she is the up next PG. That is Plum or Ioenscu at the moment
By 2020, she will be healthy and have two full seasons behind her, imo.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Maya finally talking....

Lynx's Moore taking a much-needed break from basketball

Moore said she found the 2018 WNBA season to be extremely taxing, and rest became a priority.

"I can't remember a year that has been as demanding as this one," Moore said. "Coming from overseas to the compressed season, which everybody witnessed was an unbelievably competitive and tough season, top to bottom.

One thing Moore is doing, though, is working with a program called "Most Valuable Coach," which is sponsored by U.S. Cellular and honors coaches at kindergarten through high school levels. People can vote via the award's website for their favorites among the 50 nominees. There will be three ultimate winners chosen via a combination of voting and an expert panel, which includes Moore and Green Bay Packers wide receiver Randall Cobb.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom