2018 Team USA | The Boneyard

2018 Team USA

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Wow.

No Fowles or Maya or Augustus. No Chiney but happy to see Nneka will be there.

Where's Diggins-Smith?

Where's Jasmine Thomas? Wasn't she recently added to the roster?

No McBride? No Chelsea Gray?

Asia Durr has chosen not to play?

Several from the Pool won't be playing in the World Cup. I was told some were backing out but some of these I didn't expect.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In encouraging Phee to go for it Geno did note:

"There may be other withdrawals according to Auriemma, who serves as a special advisor to the selection committee.

"There are a lot of players who choose not to participate when it comes to the world championships," Auriemma said. "So it's a great time for Pheesa to go there and make an impression on the committee. They need to put together a really good team to play in the world championships. I think there are opportunities for Pheesa and the other young players."

Reaction Score
Eighteen confirmed, 12 Pool players and 6 invitees. There is an Official Pool of 20 players for the 2018 -2020 Women's National Team. It appears 8 of the 20 did not confirm participation for one reason or another. Six additional players (not members of the Pool) were invited to the Sept practice in SC. Katie Lou along with Phee were invited to the Pool tryout at the end of last summer though neither were considered for the final team travelling to Japan as they would be in Italy with UConn. Lou didn't play the last day or two as she was experiencing some foot pain.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m sure that Geno will tell Pheesa what he said to Maya and Stewie when they were collegians: Don’t just go through the motions; compete and try to earn a spot.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here's the National Team Pool from the USA BB website. I've put * next to the players who, according to today's release, won't be participating in the Training Camp that begins on Monday and are not currently playing in the WNBA playoffs.

Seimone Augustus *
Sue Bird
Layshia Clarendon
Napheesa Collier
Elana Delle Donne
Skylar Diggins-Smith *
Stefanie Dolson
Asia Durr*
Sylvia Fowles *
Allisha Gray
Chelsea Gray*
Brittney Griner
Tiffany Hayes
Jewell Lloyd
Kayla McBride*
Angel McCoughtry*
Tiffany Mitchell
Kelsey Mitchell
Maya Moore*
Chiney Ogwumike*
Nneka Ogwumike
Kelsey Plum
Katie Lou Samuelson*
Odyssey Sims
Breanna Stewart
Brittney Sykes
Diana Taurasi
Jasmine Thomas*
Morgan Tuck
Sydney Wiese*
Elizabeth Williams
A'ja Wilson

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In encouraging Phee to go for it Geno did note:

"There may be other withdrawals according to Auriemma, who serves as a special advisor to the selection committee.

"There are a lot of players who choose not to participate when it comes to the world championships," Auriemma said. "So it's a great time for Pheesa to go there and make an impression on the committee. They need to put together a really good team to play in the world championships. I think there are opportunities for Pheesa and the other young players."

Must be talking about this article
Collier going camping down south this weekend

Also a little bit there about KLS’s injury progress.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Re Cat’s list:

Angel will have surgery and is out.

Lou had surgery and hasn’t been cleared yet. She’s out too.

Elena is questionable because of her bone bruise.

Sylvia has an elbow injury and may be out.

Maya has unspecified injuries.

Nneka has mono.

Reaction Score
Elena is questionable because of her bone bruise.

She might be questionable for the next playoff game, but I have a feeling she’ll be good by Cup time.

Maya has unspecified injuries.

Are you sure she’s injured? I haven’t heard anything except for maybe fatigue. Maybe her tendinitis flared up?

Nneka has mono.

She’s on pool list though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She might be questionable for the next playoff game, but I have a feeling she’ll be good by Cup time.

Are you sure she’s injured? I haven’t heard anything except for maybe fatigue. Maybe her tendinitis flared up?

She’s on pool list though.
Elena may play tomorrow, but, if I recall, UC0nn has had players with bone bruises who were out 1-2 months. I think it's accurate to say she's questionable at this time. I'm not saying doubtful; I'm saying questionable. I know she will play both tomorrow and in Tenerife if her doc clears her. She certainly wants to. We'll know in time.

I'm hearing that Maya has injuries in addition to fatigue. I'm not sure if they are bruises, tendinitis, or what. I'm sure she wants to play, but I think she's questionable at this time.

About 10 days ago, Nneka was questionable in terms of how many minutes she could give and how she would perform. If her mono is mostly cleared up, that's a good thing. If she still has it, the idea of playing on three consecutive days is likely too much. Nneka, based on her MVP year, was an obvious choice, though she did not make the 2016 Olympic roster (she was in the 2014 WC). Based on her 2017 play in the WNBA, she was a likely selection. Based on her 2018 season, I think she's borderline.

What I'm pointing out is that there are some players who are definitely out--Angel is one and Lou is reportedly another--and there are other players who MAY not be available. For those of us who are predicting the lineup or the USAB folks who are choosing the team, these possible injuries or illnesses should be kept in mind.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I can not recall a year when so many pool players have opted out of playing in the World Cup. Of course we don't see that with the Olympics. Injuries are one thing, but what's going on with Diggins-Smith, Chelsea Gray, Jasmine Thomas, Kayla McBride?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can not recall a year when so many pool players have opted out of playing in the World Cup. Of course we don't see that with the Olympics. Injuries are one thing, but what's going on with Diggins-Smith, Chelsea Gray, Jasmine Thomas, Kayla McBride?
Good question. I think some may sign up later or will explain what's going on. For now, just lots of questions. Camp starts in 2 days. The team plays an intra-squad scrimmage on Wednesday, a game in Bridgeport on Saturday, and another game in D.C. on Monday. They they fly to France for 3 games before heading to Tenerife. I'm not sure when the roster has to be finalized, but I'm guessing early in their trip to France.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Can Sabrina make the team? She's very young and fairly inexperienced, but she's also really good.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Good question. I think some may sign up later or will explain what's going on. For now, just lots of questions. Camp starts in 2 days. The team plays an intra-squad scrimmage on Wednesday, a game in Bridgeport on Saturday, and another game in D.C. on Monday. They they fly to France for 3 games before heading to Tenerife. I'm not sure when the roster has to be finalized, but I'm guessing early in their trip to France.

There is no signing up later. The only players who will be joining the team later are those currently playing in the playoffs.

Bird and Taurasi will eventually join Team USA. It's a good thing two of the oldest players in the league won't need rest.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There is no signing up later. The only players who will be joining the team later are those currently playing in the playoffs.

Bird and Taurasi will eventually join Team USA. It's a good thing two of the oldest players in the league won't need rest.
Are the players with asterisks in your list definitely not coming, or is it to early to say? Camp is 2 days away.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Are the players with asterisks in your list definitely not coming, or is it to early to say? Camp is 2 days away.

I'd say they're definitely out per USA BB's press release. According to USA BB, the only players who may be added to the roster are those pool players who are still playing in the WNBA playoffs.

I'm kinda not surprised by Maya as she clearly wasn't right this past season. I am stunned over the guards who've chosen not to participate given the opportunities to position themselves for the next Olympic team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I'd say they're definitely out per USA BB's press release. According to USA BB, the only players who may be added to the roster are those pool players who are still playing in the WNBA playoffs.

I'm kinda not surprised by Maya as she clearly wasn't right this past season. I am stunned over the guards who've chosen not to participate given the opportunities to position themselves for the next Olympic team.

Ditto. The two Notre Dame names I saw on that release -- Arike Ogunbowale and Jessica Shepard -- are not the ones I expected (Skylar Diggins-Smith and Kayla McBride). After a few camps and tryouts of "knocking on the door," thought both of these would be there ready to rock. And I thought they'd be joined by Jewell Loyd once the playoffs end for Seattle (for all I know, Jewell could very well be planning on joining Sue B. and Stewie). Would be very interested in hearing on "what's up" with not only these two ND alums, but some of the others who have chosen not to attend.

BTW, as said about some of the UConn folks invited, great opportunity for Ogunbowale and Shepard to go in and compete, regardless of the outcome.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ditto. The two Notre Dame names I saw on that release -- Arike Ogunbowale and Jessica Shepard -- are not the ones I expected (Skylar Diggins-Smith and Kayla McBride). After a few camps and tryouts of "knocking on the door," thought both of these would be there ready to rock. And I thought they'd be joined by Jewell Loyd once the playoffs end for Seattle (for all I know, Jewell could very well be planning on joining Sue B. and Stewie). Would be very interested in hearing on "what's up" with not only these two ND alums, but some of the others who have chosen not to attend.

BTW, as said about some of the UConn folks invited, great opportunity for Ogunbowale and Shepard to go in and compete, regardless of the outcome.

Collier, Samuelson and Durr were the 3 collegiate players who were part of the pool that was named in the spring. Of those 3 only Collier will attend camp. Lou is coming off surgery and I'm not sure what's going on with Durr.

Additional college players were invited to fill out the roster because so many professional players have backed out. The recently invited collegiate players include Harris, Ogunbowale, Shepard, Hebard and Ionescu.

I expect Jewell to be in the picture regardless of how deep Seattle goes in the playoffs.

I understand the WNBA schedule was more compact this season, but that was also true in 2014 and I don't remember this many players opting not to play. Maybe now we'll hear less criticism of USA BB for not bringing in young guards. Opportunity tapped a bunch of them on the shoulder and apparently they've said no thanks.

I'm thrilled to see Nneka's name on the list. Mono isn't going to keep her from trying out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Elena may play tomorrow, but, if I recall, UC0nn has had players with bone bruises who were out 1-2 months. I think it's accurate to say she's questionable at this time. I'm not saying doubtful; I'm saying questionable. I know she will play both tomorrow and in Tenerife if her doc clears her. She certainly wants to. We'll know in time.

Delle Donne moving around pretty well right now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm curious - are we giving all these players a pass because they are potentially tired and opting out? Did we not give Parker a ton of crap for missing 2 World Championships? At least for one of them she did have surgery, even if it was done after the WNBA season.

I'm not looking to criticize everyone (anyone) - clearly there is more going on here and injury issues may come to light as time goes on, but I am wondering if it's OK for these players to take a pass, but not OK when Parker did it? How is this different? (I'm legit asking - anyone who knows me knows I'm about the last person to defend Parker)...

Reaction Score
I'm curious - are we giving all these players a pass because they are potentially tired and opting out? Did we not give Parker a ton of crap for missing 2 World Championships? At least for one of them she did have surgery, even if it was done after the WNBA season.

I'm not looking to criticize everyone (anyone) - clearly there is more going on here and injury issues may come to light as time goes on, but I am wondering if it's OK for these players to take a pass, but not OK when Parker did it? How is this different? (I'm legit asking - anyone who knows me knows I'm about the last person to defend Parker)...
I think context is important .... when Parker was left off the 2016 Olympic team some people opined that maybe she hurt her chances because she had missed the previous two world cups. A perfectly valid observation. I don't recall anything directed at Parker when they were picking the World Cup teams you reference.

Reaction Score
I think context is important .... when Parker was left off the 2016 Olympic team some people opined that maybe she hurt her chances because she had missed the previous two world cups. A perfectly valid observation. I don't recall anything directed at Parker when they were picking the World Cup teams you reference.
Actually for EDD, and Stewie it would probably be better to sit this World Cup out. Neither of them fit into Dawn's idea of offense, pound it inside.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom