Sue--still playing but has broken nose

Elena--still playing but bruised knee

Maya--appears to be injured and out

Seimone--appears to be out

Sylvia--injured elbow and appears to be out

Angel--injured and out

Lindsay--retired and out

Tamika--retired and out

That's only FOUR returning players who have no issues that we are aware of. And some of them may be very tired in mid-September. It was obvious that we would see at least 3 new faces, but we may see as many as 6-8.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here is the 2016 roster for Rio and their current status:
That's only FOUR returning players who have no issues that we are aware of. And some of them may be very tired in mid-September. It was obvious that we would see at least 3 new faces, but we may see as many as 6-8.
Not to mention a new & first time head coach. I think you grab A'ja, Odyssey, Tiff, Neka, Big Mama, & Napheesa and hope for the best.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Not to mention a new & first time head coach. I think you grab A'ja, Odyssey, Tiff, Neka, Big Mama, & Napheesa and hope for the best.
You list 6 players, so I think you are assuming that Sue and Elena will play. I am too, though I recognize some level of uncertainty.

Your 6 additions are largely the most experienced. That is not a bad thing. Both Nneka and Odyssey played in Istanbul in 2014.

I honestly think that either Tuck or Collier can make the team,

Reaction Score
I would bet big money against her declaring early for the draft.
I don't know anything about Ionescu's academic career or aspirations. That said, my sense has always been she a basketball player first. If that's the case, and if she were being projected as the #1 pick, it could be hard to stay in school.

Lots of unknowns. If they go deep in the tourney this season and look like they'll be a real NC contender her senior year...? Etc.

Reaction Score
67E33FDC-1841-41A1-9236-97BE1F18305B.jpeg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Will tonight's game be a short scrimmage or a full 40-minute game?

I like the team with Nneka, Tina, and Kelsey Plum. I think they have the advantage.

I'll be interested in seeing how some of the newbies do--Napheesa, Sabrina, et al.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Different subject than my prior post:

1. Will Diana, Brittney, and Tiffany play in Monday's exhibition game in D.C.?

2. As long as we have that mysterious player in the mask, I like our chances in Tenerife. Her jersey said Bird, but I think it was really Steph Curry underneath the mask.

3. I know she's not in the pool, but given the depleted roster, here's a player who could be a very good backup PG:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Different subject than my prior post:

1. Will Diana, Brittney, and Tiffany play in Monday's exhibition game in D.C.?

2. As long as we have that mysterious player in the mask, I like our chances in Tenerife. Her jersey said Bird, but I think it was really Steph Curry underneath the mask.

3. I know she's not in the pool, but given the depleted roster, here's a player who could be a very good backup PG:

Well they continued to add players right to the end, no? I know they added the college players and wasn't Diamond a late addition too? IMHO they should have added Renee... arguably a better PG than Clarendon who doesn't even start on her WNBA team...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is starting to feel like the 2006 WC team that brought home Bronze - vets from the 2004 Olympics missed that WC (most notably Lisa Leslie and Dawn.
If they were to fail to get gold this year which I think is possible if some others are not added, it could be a benefit in terms of the 2020 Olympics. They would be forced to field a qualifying team for the Americas in 2019 - not a bad thing with the transition that has to happen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This is starting to feel like the 2006 WC team that brought home Bronze - vets from the 2004 Olympics missed that WC (most notably Lisa Leslie and Dawn.
If they were to fail to get gold this year which I think is possible if some others are not added, it could be a benefit in terms of the 2020 Olympics. They would be forced to field a qualifying team for the Americas in 2019 - not a bad thing with the transition that has to happen.
If we have a core of Sue, Diana, Stewie, Tina, Brittney, and Elena, I like our chances. Take any 2 of those out, and things get dicey.

Though she doesn't start on her WNBA team, I think Morgan Tuck is a good choice. She's smart, calm, skilled, experienced, and versatile. Her experience includes success with USA Basketball, which counts for a lot.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I just dont understand people’s fascination with Kelsey Mitchell. I preferred Vivian’s over her in Indiana and eventually she was the starter. I said all thru her college years that she would be a more complete player if she shot the ball less, assisted on more baskets and played some defense. I thought her pro career may change but she is the same as she was at tOSU. Based on the game tonight i would have taken Arike over Mitchell.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Arike leads all scorers and chips in 5 assists and doesn't make the cut. Oh USAB, you never fail to annoy me.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Arike leads all scorers and chips in 5 assits and doesn't make the cut. Oh USAB, you never fail to annoy me.
It’s obviously about more than scoring. I thought Arike looked good in the scrimmage, though she did look for her shot a lot. I don’t know how she did the first 2 days. I expected her to survive the first cut. I did not expect Ionescu to make it based on the scrimmage.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It’s obviously about more than scoring. I thought Arike looked good in the scrimmage, though she did look for her shot a lot. I don’t know how she did the first 2 days. I expected her to survive the first cut. I did not expect Ionescu to make it based on the scrimmage.
My thoughts exactly. What kind of defense did she play? Did she work to set her teammates up for scoring opportunities? It's not all about jacking up shots. You have Dee, Stewie, Griner, EDD, Tina, etc etc... - a host of other players who are better at offense and defense, and better scoring options. A chucker simply won't make the team.

Having said that, I think it becomes more clear why Clarendon, Sims and Ionescu were saved even tho they didn't score nearly as much.

I don't think Ionescu belongs with the big dogs yet, though. She will, just not yet. And I think they also cut Gray, and the Mitchells. I'm starting to think Plum is the PG of the future to replace Bird. It's REALLY too bad Jefferson has been so injured as this would be the perfect opportunity for her. Hopefully she gets 100% healthy.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
My thoughts exactly. What kind of defense did she play? Did she work to set her teammates up for scoring opportunities? It's not all about jacking up shots. You have Dee, Stewie, Griner, EDD, Tina, etc etc... - a host of other players who are better at offense and defense, and better scoring options. A chucker simply won't make the team.

She was 7 of 12 from the field and had 5 assists versus 0 turnovers. But she's a selfish chucker. Sure. Whatever.

I get that your reflexively contradicting me, which I deserve as the obnoxious visitor, but your rationale doesn't even make sense here.

If chuckers can't make the cut, surely Kelsey Mitchell would have been gone, no?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My World Cup roster
Sue Bird/Sabrina Ionescu*
Diana Taurasi/Jewell Loyd/Tiffany Hayes
Elena Delle Donne/***
Breanna Stewart/Nneka Ogwumike/A’ja Wilson
Brittney Griner/Tina Charles**

*If you’re like me and see Ionescu as the future, I’d like to see her brought along, and use Taurasi and Loyd as backups if things get too scary. The last thing we all want (except for the international fans) is Ionescu to become the next Vandersloot. If they see this as unrealistic, then it’ll probably be Sims, Clarendon, or Plum instead. I’m not in love with any of those three. The article described Sims as a headlining player, so I suppose she may be the strongest candidate for backup PG.

**I would elect Charles to return to center for this tournament, or else we’re in danger of Dolson making the team. I don’t think that should happen.

***Dogfight between DeShields, Collier, Tuck, and Gray for backup SF. If EDD bows out, then two of them make up the SF slot.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Arike leads all scorers and chips in 5 assists and doesn't make the cut. Oh USAB, you never fail to annoy me.

Somehow I doubt the decisions were made solely based on last night's box score.

Are you annoyed that Diggins-Smith and McBride said no to USA BB? Are they injured? Seems they both had a great chance to make the team.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Are you annoyed that Diggins-Smith and McBride said no to USA BB? Are they injured? Seems they both had a great chance to make the team.

The word I would use is disappointed.

McBride I somewhat understand. She has been going non-stop for a while now and will be playing at UMMC this winter. That's a lucrative gig. I understand wanting to take a short break to recharge so she can show up to her new team refreshed and ready to go.

I have no idea what is going on with Skylar.

It's not my body or my career so it's easy for me to pass judgment from behind a computer screen. But purely as a fan? Yes, disappointed.

Realistically, Arike's time will come. I was mostly reacting to the whiplash of going quickly from being excited that she had played well to finding she had been cut.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She was 7 of 12 from the field and had 5 assists versus 0 turnovers. But she's a selfish chucker. Sure. Whatever.

I get that your reflexively contradicting me, which I deserve as the obnoxious visitor, but your rationale doesn't even make sense here.

If chuckers can't make the cut, surely Kelsey Mitchell would have been gone, no?
I didn't say she was a "selfish chucker". Nor ws I "reflexively contradicting you". I was actually agreeing with @MilfordHusky, just saying it differently than he did. I was trying to make guesses as to why she was cut. Like Cat said, there's more to making the team than one exhibition game. They already have the ball hog chick (another chucker) in Dee.

I don't disagree with you on Mitchell. But again, I've not watched enough games to know for sure and I was not at the practices either. On the flip side, Mitchell is what - 3-4 years older? Perhaps her experience got her thru.

Perhaps she's just too young. Perhaps there are too many other guards with more experience or who are better players ahead of her. We didn't see her in practice with the other players. We really won't know unless we hear from the committee. Why do you think she was cut?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is there any place with highlights, or a replay? I missed it. And besides... My broke college kid TV package probably didn't habe NBA TV anyway :confused:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Is there any place with highlights, or a replay? I missed it. And besides... My broke college kid TV package probably didn't habe NBA TV anyway :confused:
This might be as good as it gets:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom