2018 Team USA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2018 Team USA

Reaction Score
Actually for EDD, and Stewie it would probably be better to sit this World Cup out. Neither of them fit into Dawn's idea of offense, pound it inside.
Dawn is very good at fashioning her team’s playing style around the strengths of her players. The early years of the current run of the Gamecocks’ success, the team was lead by her guards. As Dawn got top posts like A’ja Wilson and Alaina Coates, she adjusted the team to fit their dominant style. The way she adjusted the team on the fly during their run to the national championship after Coates went down is the best example of Dawn’s tailoring. EDD and Stewie will more than thrive offensively playing for Dawn.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Wilson would have made the team anyway, but with the defections, I'd be shocked if A'ja doesn't make it.

I hope the other S.C. players don't, because they aren't the best options, in my opinion.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Actually for EDD, and Stewie it would probably be better to sit this World Cup out. Neither of them fit into Dawn's idea of offense, pound it inside.

Should they sit out the 2020 Olympics too... since I assume that Staley still will be the coach then.

Reaction Score
DAD892F8-3D54-4214-924D-236B0E7139A5.jpeg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I count 18 players. When they play the Red v. White scrimmage on Wednesday, I think Dawn and Jen may need to suit up.

I'm sure Dawn, Geno, et al. let out some nasty expletives when Sue broke her nose.

There are 2 former MVPs in the photo, as well as 14 players who have never even been in WNBA All-Star game.

Reaction Score
Whatever combination of players makes it the roster still has talent, but I"m not sure a first place finish is close to a sure thing. I understand injuries happen as well as the need to rest, but there isn't a lot of international experience at this level on the team relative to what I was hoping/expecting.

I hope they win gold and still think it's possible but I don't think there will be anything close to a repeat performance of what we saw in 2016. I knew this roster would be one of transition but I'm scratching my head as to why so many top flight players who have shown interest in the past are skipping out.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Whatever combination of players makes it the roster still has talent, but I"m not sure a first place finish is close to a sure thing. I understand injuries happen as well as the need to rest, but there isn't a lot of international experience at this level on the team relative to what I was hoping/expecting.

I hope they win gold and still think it's possible but I don't think there will be anything close to a repeat performance of what we saw in 2016. I knew this roster would be one of transition but I'm scratching my head as to why so many top flight players who have shown interest in the past are skipping out.

It is precisely because this roster will be one of transition that the absence of certain players is baffling.

Maybe someone will ask Diggins-Smith, Chelsea Gray and Kayla McBride why they backed out.

Interesting that last week USA BB tweeted videos of Maya and Diggins-Smith talking about playing for USA BB. That says their decisions were last minute. Given what transpired during the WNBA season, Maya's absence is less surprising than Diggins-Smith's.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Anyone know if Stewart will join them? After the Storm season is over.

Reaction Score
I'm trying to think positively about the roster and think the mixture of players plus whomever decides to join them after the WNBA playoffs is still very good. The front court concerns me less than the guard situation. If Stewart and Griner join Charles, Wilson and Nneka then it's a solid lineup as I suspect EDD will sit it out with her knee and probably should.

Bird's injury leads me to believe she won't play. Hoping Taurasi, Hayes and Loyd join the roster for leadership and skill. I look at Deshields, Mitchell, Ionescu, Plum and Simms as being good players for sure, but they aren't the greatest collection of talent the US could put out there.

Considering Diggins and McBride both barely missed the cut in 2014 I'm surprised they declined the invite. I do understand the desire to rest and heal but it reminds me of what happened when the US men started to pass on invitations. After a few "dream team"esqe cycles the top men's players started taking a pass due to fatigue, endorsements and lack of interest. It's at that time the men's team slid down in the world rankings and it took a rebuild of the NT process to get them back on top.

USA basketball has rewarded loyalty to players who commit. I look at Catchings, who was given a spot in spite of her age and declining abilities where Pondexter missed one cycle at the peak of her career and never received another invite. I like to see our best players out there when possible.

Reaction Score
Maybe getting this chance to play with the pros will give Sabrina an idea of whether she's ready to come out after this year. Or maybe she's already done enough of that to know that she is.

I would bet big money against her declaring early for the draft.

Reaction Score
I would bet big money against her declaring early for the draft.
She's probably thinking about big money also ...and that's why she WILL declare. She may even have a picture hanging in her locker of Stewie driving her Maserati. :D

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
this was such a great opportunity for Gray, Diggins-Smith, and McBride to make team USA and be in the front seat from the 2020 spots and they pass...wow
Totally agree. Someone mentioned Cappie - she passed IIRC because she was getting involved in fashion and wanted to attend New York Fashion Week. Not a good enough reason to skip the World Championships and boom! She's out of future pools. Parker skipped 2 world championship teams (2010 and 2014 - one for an injury) and although she was on the 2012 Olympic team, it contributed to her being left off the 2016 Olympic team.

That should hold for anyone else who skips out for any reason other than injury or illness. Pondexter was only given 1 chance. Parker was given 2. Being tired and needing to rest your body is simply not a good enough reason. And to me, that should hold for ANY player - including former UCONN stars. You think Catchings wasn't tired, sore, beat up or worn out after 15 grueling years in the WNBA? You think Dee and Sue aren't feeling the same (Sue is currently injured).

However, we all know that barring something extraordinary, Sue and Dee will play. Before passing judgment, I will wait to see what the reasons are for the other players skipping out, but if it's not for good reasons, they should be removed from all future pools. There are plenty of youngsters willing, able, and capable of taking their places.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Parkers injury which caused her to miss the 2014 World Championship required knee surgery and platelet-rich plasma injections. Just curious to know if that counts against the sliding scale of injury, illness or the need for rest that we are now determined to reinvent.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom