Reaction Score
Sixteen Finalists Named for 2018 USA World Cup Team

Adding in the late arrivals, my new roster guess:

Bird/Plum
Taurasi/Loyd/(TMitchell or KMitchell)
Delle Donne/(Tuck or Collier)
Stewart/Ogwumike/Wilson
Griner/Charles
I agree with 11, maybe 12. I can't see Kelsey Mitchell. I haven't seen much from her. Tiffany Mitchell showed hustle and defense, but no offense. Maybe she gets picked as a former player of Dawn's. I think Clarendon is still in the running. I really wish that Tiff Hayes were there. Having an athletic guard defender against Spain could prove important.

Reaction Score
I can't see Kelsey Mitchell.

I wasn’t surprised she was invited to camp, but I’m surprised to see her make it this far. Must be doing something right.

Tiffany Mitchell showed hustle and defense, but no offense. Maybe she gets picked as a former player of Dawn's.

There’s plenty of offense already on the team. I agree that being a SC alum may be an advantage. Didn’t work for Gray this time.

I think Clarendon is still in the running.

I’m really not sure why she’s there. Didn’t have a great year. Wasn’t wanted at ATL. They might like her backstory.

I really wish that Tiff Hayes were there. Having an athletic guard defender against Spain could prove important.

She must not have wanted to go to camp when her ATL teammate Williams did. It could be that she wants to get nationalized by another country in the near future, so why bother? I guess that’s Bonner’s story, along with Sloot and Bentley.

I suppose they could also go this route...
Bird(1)/Plum(1-2)
Loyd(2-1)/TMitchell(2-3)/KMitchell(2-1)
Taurasi(2-1-3)/Delle Donne(4-3-2)
Stewart(4-5-3)/Ogwumike(4-5-3)/Wilson(4-5)
Griner(5)/Charles(4-5)

(primary position-other positions)

It’s good having people who play multiple positions.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wasn’t surprised she was invited to camp, but I’m surprised to see her make it this far. Must be doing something right.

There’s plenty of offense already on the team. I agree that being a SC alum may be an advantage. Didn’t work for Gray this time.

I’m really not sure why she’s there. Didn’t have a great year. Wasn’t wanted at ATL. They might like her backstory.

She must not have wanted to go to camp when her ATL teammate Williams did. It could be that she wants to get nationalized by another country in the near future, so why bother? I guess that’s Bonner’s story, along with Sloot and Bentley.

I suppose they could also go this route...
Bird(1)/Plum(1-2)
Loyd(2-1)/TMitchell(2-3)/KMitchell(2-1)
Taurasi(2-1-3)/Delle Donne(4-3-2)
Stewart(4-5-3)/Ogwumike(4-5-3)/Wilson(4-5)
Griner(5)/Charles(4-5)

(primary position-other positions)

It’s good having people who play multiple positions.
Jewell didn't look that good as the backup PG last season in Seattle. Dee, however, gives them a 3rd option at PG.

I totally agree about flexibility. At some point, the roster is locked. If an injury happens, there is no changing it.

Sue actually played some 2 this year alongside Canada.

I like the roster better with Tuck or Collier and T. Mitchell or Clarendon.

Reaction Score
Today’s practice quotes
USA Women's National Team Practice Quotes

Tina Charles (New York Liberty)
What are your thoughts on the team as it wraps up the domestic portion of training camp?
We know there will be another cut before we go to Spain, but everybody here is just happy to be here, trying to execute everything and do all of the things that the coaches are asking them to do.

Napheesa Collier (University of Connecticut)
You came out here at the beginning of training camp thinking you would only be here three days. And you’re still here. How has this process been for you, and did you pack enough clothes?
I packed really lightly. I need to wash things really often. (laughs)

There have been past instances of college players on a World Cup team. Does that make you feel a little more confident that you could be next?
It would be amazing. That’s tjhe goal here. So, I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing, working hard and try to do everything they ask of me. Hopefully, as coach Staley says, my number is called and I get to go.

Kelsey Mitchell (Indiana Fever)
What things off the court do the vets do you haven’t incorporated yet?
Not necessarily eating healthy, because I’m not a terrible eater myself. But, it’s stuff like going to bed early and stretching right after practice. I was talking to Layshia, and she was like, ‘I got to get my stretching in.’ It’s different to see. It’s a little funny, but you applaud them for taking it that serious.

Morgan Tuck (Connecticut Sun)
How is training camp going?
I think everyone is just excited, especially, most of us here, we are not for sure on the team. So, we are just excited to have the opportunity to keep going. We are trying to make sure that we are focused and make the most of the opportunity.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Dawn and the rest of USA basketball has to be extremely happy the WNBA finals lasted only three games - means that Sue, Stewart, Loyd, EDD may all be available a week earlier than might have been. Wonder if EDD begs off with her bone bruise - she certainly didn't look full speed in the finals.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Dawn and the rest of USA basketball has to be extremely happy the WNBA finals lasted only three games - means that Sue, Stewart, Loyd, EDD may all be available a week earlier than might have been. Wonder if EDD begs off with her bone bruise - she certainly didn't look full speed in the finals.
It's 4 days earlier, but every day helps. Plus, they are on the East Coast, not in Seattle.

Next up: 3 exhibition games on Sept. 15, 16, and 17, I believe, in the French Riviera.

Play in Tenerife starts on September 22, I think. I'll be there for the Sept. 28, 29, and 30 Medal Round.

Elena has been in touch with USAB. Her status is that she can play up to about 25 minutes, as needed, but needs therapy on the off-days and cannot practice. I think USAB will take that, and I expect to see her in Tenerife.

Reaction Score
Next Up: USA National Team to Play Exhibition Tournament in France

First, six of the USA athletes who competed in Bridgeport are no longer training with the team, including Kelsey Mitchell, who was one of 16 finalists named to the team but did not travel to France due to a family emergency. Second, the American roster will see the addition of Olympic and World Cup champions Brittney Griner and Diana Taurasi of the Phoenix Mercury.

A couple of things this article did not make clear:
*Is Kelsey Mitchell no longer under consideration for the team?
*They talk about Griner & Taurasi, but what about the players from the WNBA Finals? When are they expected to join the team? You could make arguments for 3 of the 4 players from the Finals to not join the team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Next Up: USA National Team to Play Exhibition Tournament in France

A couple of things this article did not make clear:
*Is Kelsey Mitchell no longer under consideration for the team?
*They talk about Griner & Taurasi, but what about the players from the WNBA Finals? When are they expected to join the team? You could make arguments for 3 of the 4 players from the Finals to not join the team.
My guess is that Kelsey is still under consideration, but her availability could be questionable. Her probability of making the team is low, in my opinion, regardless.

The games in France are on Sept. 15, 16, and 17. Seattle is planning a parade on Sept. 16. I'm thinking that Sue, Stewie, and Jewell may be in Europe for the game on the 17th. I believe that Dee and Brittney are expected for all 3 games in France. I'm not sure when the roster has to be set, but the WC starts on the 22nd, so sometime before that.

Reaction Score
I like the roster better with Tuck or Collier and T. Mitchell or Clarendon.

Curt Miller being on the selection committee most likely has worked in Tuck and Clarendon’s (Connecticut Sun) favor, not to mention Geno being on the committee.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geez. Not exactly a happy looking group. :(

I'm never happy after an overnight flight. ;)

QUESTION: Does anyone know about broadcasting or online access to the games?

TIA

Reaction Score
I'm never happy after an overnight flight. ;)

QUESTION: Does anyone know about broadcasting or online access to the games?

Looks like the streaming option for the actual tournament games will be ESPN+

There’s a free 7-day trial for that which may come in handy for a 9-day tournament.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Looks like the streaming option for the actual tournament games will be ESPN+

There’s a free 7-day trial for that which may come in handy for a 9-day tournament.

Already used up my 7 day free trial on some other event I cant remember. Can't imagine they would allow it again. :(:(:(

Reaction Score
Already used up my 7 day free trial on some other event I cant remember. Can't imagine they would allow it again. :(:(:(

How did you like the service? At $4.99/mo, it might be worth it for this one month.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
How did you like the service? At $4.99/mo, it might be worth it for this one month.

From what I remember, there was a lot of interesting but less mainstream stuff steaming and I think there was the ability to see events in playback. I probably will make the splurge once WCBB season roles around if there are significant increases in interesting games provided instead of schools I never heard of (ESPN3)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom