2018 Season: #TimeToWork > Spring Game 4/14 @ Noon | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2018 Season: #TimeToWork > Spring Game 4/14 @ Noon

Reaction Score
Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 2m 2 minutes ago
Some quick hits from UConn football practice. Coach Edsall: “Guys are improving and that’s what you want.”

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 52s 53 seconds ago
Edsall pleased with work habits of wide receiver Hergy Mayala. “He’s been very focused and very diligent in terms of working to get better.”

Gavin Keefe‏ @GavinKeefe 2m 2 minutes ago
New London’s Brian Cespedes, an offensive guard, has been getting time with first team. Edsall says Cespedes has been a different guy in terms of work ethic and commitment.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not much competition for Gilmartin at this point so not surprising to me
Only have two dudes coming this summer at this point excluding the PWOs in Kevon Jones and Hunter Webb. Man it hurts not having Dillon Harris.

I was hoping to hear that TJ Gardner has taking the MLB spot without question with some combo of Eli Thomas, Hahn or Sterling and Beavers for the Will, Sam and Husky positions respectively. Gardner HS tape showed a physical specimen with athletic ability. I didn't think Gilmartin has the speed and reach to play with the 1s, but happy to be wrong.

Guess we have Rhakim Williams as the pleasant surprise.

Kevon Jones should see the field this year...probably rotates in after the first couple games.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Only have two dudes coming this summer at this point excluding the PWOs in Kevon Jones and Hunter Webb. Man it hurts not having Dillon Harris.

I was hoping to hear that TJ Gardner has taking the MLB spot without question with some combo of Eli Thomas, Hahn or Sterling and Beavers for the Will, Sam and Husky positions respectively. Gardner HS tape showed a physical specimen with athletic ability. I didn't think Gilmartin has the speed and reach to play with the 1s, but happy to be wrong.

Guess we have Rhakim Williams as the pleasant surprise.

Kevon Jones should see the field this year...probably rotates in after the first couple games.

My guess is that we see K Jones, T Jones, and a couple of true frosh in the secondary...I'd guess Lazarus and one more.

I do hope that someone asks RE about Lazarus during spring practice

Reaction Score
I may have missed it but has anyone seen any reports on Eli Thomas? I assumed he would make the two deep at LB.

Reaction Score
Is Randy being too candid with some of these quotes? Cespedes and Gilmartin playing with the ones is a surprise to me. Practice is one thing, ultimately game time will be another.

Why would Gilmartin be a surprise to you? He was one of the few defenders who played with tenacity last season. Stood out to me quite a bit when watching games towards the end of the year. Saw him stand up a few guards.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Why would Gilmartin be a surprise to you? He was one of the few defenders who played with tenacity last season. Stood out to me quite a bit when watching games towards the end of the year. Saw him stand up a few guards.
Maybe I'll rewatch Cincy. Been thinking about doing that anyways. If I do, I'll spend more time looking for him.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
am i wrong/stupid for getting hype about good results this year? seems like a year with RE attitude/actual strength + conditioning plus player growth could actually make a difference. would be a Randy special to put a team of a lot of diaco guys into something decent

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
am i wrong/stupid for getting hype about good results this year? seems like a year with RE attitude/actual strength + conditioning plus player growth could actually make a difference. would be a Randy special to put a team of a lot of diaco guys into something decent

I don't think we're there yet. RBs are thin when you consider that both Mensah and Hopkins have been known to get injured, and behind that we've got no one. Throw in an incredibly young front 6 on D, and I'm not sure we'll go bowling. We've seen that you really can't predict what happens in the AAC, so who knows--I hope I'm wrong. I think we have a chance to be a good team next year as long as we have a good QB to replace Pindell...we'll have experienced backs and receivers, a good o-line, and an older defense...finally get those RE recruits coming up through the ranks.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Plus - I fully expected to the staff to put out a more upbeat message this winter/spring. They have too create some optimism. We have been here before - hope springs eternal.

Reaction Score

Define good. Coach Diaco left the cupboards pretty bare and we are still recovering from a depth and talent standpoint. Anything over 4 wins would be considered very good to me but I am expecting 1-3 wins.

There are definitely things to be excited about as it looks like the O Line actually has depth and position battles for the first time in years. I also am excited about some of the defensive players apparent improvement.

What we don’t have is D Line depth. This is going to be hugely problematic. We also lack depth at linebacker and the secondary was just atrocious last year. My hope is players like Fortt take a huge leap, because that is what it is going to take for the secondary just to get mediocre.

Reaction Score
Depends how you define "results". For me, I just want them to compete. Let the opposing team know they're in for a dog fight from the opening kick, win or lose, every single game. No blowouts. I'd love to see them get to a bowl, but I'm not going to base success this season on the win/lose record. I want them to get better every day. Control what they can control...Attitude, effort, and preparation. If they do those things, then the "results" will come.

Reaction Score

Need 2 more recruiting classes, then we'll start to take off again. Our Jr and Sr classes are small and don't have many difference makers outside of a few guys like Mayala, Peart..

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
My good definition would be like 4-8, 5-7, closer losses. The thing that gets me is even though the team looked overwhelmed a ton of times in the last two years there were plenty of games that were winnable and that Connecticut could’ve theoretically taken. Even in the last Diaco year you give them the Navy game and one of the other close early ones and youre 5-7. Last year we take Cincinnati and that other game we lost by three points (was that the Sunday game?) and we are there

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I think he may have also been referring to a selfishness from 1/3 of team as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom