2018 Season: #TimeToWork > Spring Game 4/14 @ Noon | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2018 Season: #TimeToWork > Spring Game 4/14 @ Noon

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You need both. Video clips alone lack context just as an ordinary conversation you might have in passing. The people covering the beat are spending the time that fans can not. Whatever access they have and extent they are immersed in the day to day of the program is far better than that of the reader.

If the goal of reporting is to connect with fans so that they feel invested in the program, then you need to covey far more than the on the spot thoughts of the players on their way back to the locker room. It's great to hear from them directly but we need more.

For some of us, wearing earphones or having the volume up is not an option.
I agree with the sound bit too. I usually catch up on my reading and UConn info while my wife or kids are watching tv so turning the sound on can’t always happen and I’m not going to go and get headphones from the next room to watch a few minute clip. I really like the videos though but agree that it should be a mix of both.

*Meant to add this to my post above but can’t edit because of time passed.

Reaction Score
Who are your sources Skiblets? I like that news! I believe it

I talked to my brother today and he said they are improving and they are getting better and he confirmed that Holmes did get moved down, but using that as motivation to compete and fix his problems and get back running with the 1's. They are hungry to compete this year according to him.

Reaction Score
That’s terrific .... and then you remember that we lost four defensive lineman to graduation.

Brother said Thomas and whoever he is rotating with has been doing a good job with the 1's, but when the rest of the recruits come in for fall camp it should get a little bit interesting especially on dline.

Reaction Score
I'm not as concerned a out the dline as everyone else is.. Carrezola barely produced the last 2 seasons, Fatukasi was solid and Ormsby had a good year getting after the QB. So 2 players to replace, it will obviously won't be entirely easy but Travis Jones should do fine anchoring at NT and I'm interested in what Caleb Thomas has to offer. Murphy proved to be reliable guy. I think someone like Freeborn could easily replace Carrezola.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm not as concerned a out the dline as everyone else is.. Carrezola barely produced the last 2 seasons, Fatukasi was solid and Ormsby had a good year getting after the QB. So 2 players to replace, it will obviously won't be entirely easy but Travis Jones should do fine anchoring at NT and I'm interested in what Caleb Thomas has to offer. Murphy proved to be reliable guy. I think someone like Freeborn could easily replace Carrezola.

Im not worried about NT. We seem to be 3 deep there. At DE, I'm most worried about lack of depth

Reaction Score
Im not worried about NT. We seem to be 3 deep there. At DE, I'm most worried about lack of depth

Me too, to an extent. Carrezola is easy to replace since he didn't do much, but I don't see anyone replacing Ormsby's (8-9?) sacks or Fatukasi's versitibility. We definitely need contributions from everyone, including true freshman like Uguak and Jones as previously mentioned.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Me too, to an extent. Carrezola is easy to replace since he didn't do much, but I don't see anyone replacing Ormsby's (8-9?) sacks or Fatukasi's versitibility. We definitely need contributions from everyone, including true freshman like Uguak and Jones as previously mentioned.

Right. Replacing cole is big and also joseph at mlb...do we trust any of our guys there to be that 100 tackle guy that a 335 needs? I dunno...

Reaction Score
Right. Replacing cole is big and also joseph at mlb...do we trust any of our guys there to be that 100 tackle guy that a 335 needs? I dunno...

If Dillon Harris was here I'd feel better. Gonna need committee production from Sterling, Gilmartin and K. Jones which is a complete ? mark. OLB should be fine with Beavers, Hahn, E. Thomas, Gardner, Webb & Swenson at the Husky position.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If Dillon Harris was here I'd feel better. Gonna need committee production from Sterling, Gilmartin and K. Jones which is a complete ? mark. OLB should be fine with Beavers, Hahn, E. Thomas, Gardner, Webb & Swenson at the Husky position.

I’m still hoping we pull a rabbit out of the hat and find another LB via grad transfer or juco. Really need an immediately eligible player for depth at DL, LB and RB.

Reaction Score
That’s terrific .... and then you remember that we lost four defensive lineman to graduation.
I like what we have coming in on the D-line. Really good group.

Reaction Score
I’m still hoping we pull a rabbit out of the hat and find another LB via grad transfer or juco. Really need an immediately eligible player for depth at DL, LB and RB.

RB is less pressing IMO. Mensah, Hopkins, Black, Scott is alright depth/quality and believe it or not the walk-on O'Reilly looks extremely athletic, maybe he could contribute ala Jason Thompson.

Sign me up for a DE & MLB.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
3 man line are meant to occupy blockers. I don't have much of a worry there. I still maintain there wasn't buy-in to the 3-3-5 among the veterans last year and they were largely out for numero uno. The defense needs all 11 players on the field doing their job and trust from the 1 that the other 10 are doing just that. Didn't observe much of that attitude last year.

A year experience and full buy-in should manifest itself this fall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is Randy being too candid with some of these quotes? Cespedes and Gilmartin playing with the ones is a surprise to me. Practice is one thing, ultimately game time will be another.

You need eight offensive linemen that can play. Cespedes has nice size and it is easier to play guard than tackle. So the move might have made his life easier. While I think this is good news, I don't read too much into this until we get summer camp.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
At minimum its nice that Cespedes has improved himself enough to be an viable option. Depth is a good thing.

Now I want to know who he hung with on last year's team. Strike that -- no I don't. Let's keep moving forward.

And if Cespedes is getting the job done now after 3 or 4 long years, then it can be inspiring for others on the team to keep going at it.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Is Randy being too candid with some of these quotes? Cespedes and Gilmartin playing with the ones is a surprise to me. Practice is one thing, ultimately game time will be another.

Gilmartin played pretty well late last year. I was really surprised--he's so small and I wasn't sure he'd be able to play well, but he had a really big game against someone late--was it Cincy? Can't remember

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
From Matt's article (a quote from RE):

"I’d say this to Bryan. I think one of the things is he let other people influence him and maybe now those influences aren’t around and he said ‘maybe the coaches know what their talking about."

Good thing he distanced himself from Spackler

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom