2018 Recruiting | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ezi Magbegor scored a career high 16 points on 7-10 shooting to go with 4 rebounds in 15 minutes today (11/25). She did commit 4 fouls, however.

Geno will work with her to stop committing so many fouls. :)

Reaction Score
Geno will work with her to stop committing so many fouls. :)

People seem to be really underestimating how tough a sell this is going to be. Ezi has already shown she can play pro ball. She could stay in Aussie league and take a salary or easily go to Europe or China and be paid 6 figures. Once she reaches the minimal WNBA age she could come here if she wanted, but the fact is there are bigger salaries abroad. She can get year round development with nothing else to worry about..ie..school. The fact is Ezi doesn't really need to go to US college bball program for her bball career development. I think the chances of her coming to UConn are not good, like really not good like 5-10% range. It doesn't make a lot of sense considering where she is already and has done.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
People seem to be really underestimating how tough a sell this is going to be. Ezi has already shown she can play pro ball. she could stay in Aussie league and take a salary or easily go to Europe or China and be paid 6 figures. Once she reaches the minimal WNBA age she coud come her, but the fact is there are bigger salaries abroad. She can get year round development with nothing else to worry about..ie..school. The fact is Ezi doesn't really need to go to US college bball program for her bball career development. I think the chances of her coming to UConn are not good, like really not good like 5-10% range. It doesn't make a lot of sense considering where she is already and has done.
I sense you’re attempting to rain on my parade.....:(

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
People seem to be really underestimating how tough a sell this is going to be. Ezi has already shown she can play pro
And you keep underestimating the UCONN staff.
I’ll bet you both Ezi and Haley Jones end up at UCONN.

Reaction Score
And you keep underestimating the UCONN staff.
I’ll bet you both Ezi and Haley Jones end up at UCONN.

You're underestimating logic on why it makes little sense for Ezi .

Reaction Score
People seem to be really underestimating how tough a sell this is going to be. Ezi has already shown she can play pro ball. She could stay in Aussie league and take a salary or easily go to Europe or China and be paid 6 figures. Once she reaches the minimal WNBA age she could come here if she wanted, but the fact is there are bigger salaries abroad. She can get year round development with nothing else to worry about..ie..school. The fact is Ezi doesn't really need to go to US college bball program for her bball career development. I think the chances of her coming to UConn are not good, like really not good like 5-10% range. It doesn't make a lot of sense considering where she is already and has done.
It could be that she comes from a family that values education and good basketball. If that is the case , Uconn is a great fit.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score

I understand what your saying. Completely. However she has engaged enough that college coaches are aware of her desire to play college ball and her brother is playing here in the states so there is somewhat of a draw.

Reaction Score

I tend to agree with you but it wouldn't be that surprising if she opted for the US college experience and if you want that and you also want the best basketball training available then UConn makes sense..............I would say the odds are more like 30%-40%...............

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
What is it with posters here feeling compelled to assign percentages to recruits choosing a certain school or making a certain decision? This is from posters who don't know these young players or have any particular insight in to their decision-making. It's strange.

All we know at this point is that the UConn staff has reached out and Magbegor and her family have at least discussed the possibility of visiting UConn. If she chooses to travel 10,000 miles and visit UConn (and maybe even another school or 2 while in the US) then it would seem she's serious about playing ball in the US.

We'll know in the next couple of months where things stand. Until then, we can follow her progress in the WNBL.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Ezi Magbegor just signed on to play in the Diamond Valley Basketball Association of whose season begins in April. Not sure what this league is or what it means for her scholastic future.

Ezi Magbegor Joins the Eagles - Diamond Valley Basketball Association - SportsTG
I only liking your post because they are still working on the BY dislike button. I'm taking this as not good news. April was supposed to be the timeframe of Ezi US visit if there was going to be one.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
What is it with posters here feeling compelled to assign percentages to recruits choosing a certain school or making a certain decision? This is from posters who don't know these young players or have any particular insight in to their decision-making. It's strange.

All we know at this point is that the UConn staff has reached out and Magbegor and her family have at least discussed the possibility of visiting UConn. If she chooses to travel 10,000 miles and visit UConn (and maybe even another school or 2 while in the US) then it would seem she's serious about playing ball in the US.

We'll know in the next couple of months where things stand. Until then, we can follow her progress in the WNBL.

Oh dear! I'm 99% certain that I enjoy Charlie--and any other posters--adding percentages to their speculation. Lighten up, Cat--I'd say by 30-40%. Unless I've underestimated the nature of The Boneyard to be contrarian by more than 25-30%, I'd say there's a 60% chance that my post will get more likes than yours did.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That SEABL18 league Magbegor's joining is a winter league so presumably it'll end by September or so. Does that prevent her from coming stateside? No idea.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That SEABL18 league Magbegor's joining is a winter league so presumably it'll end by September or so. Does that prevent her from coming stateside? No idea.
I think the news about Ezi is unclear. On the surface, it sounds as if she may have chosen the Australian pro route over a U.S. college. But it's possible that she will continue to be an amateur and wants to improve her game as much as she can before coming to the U.S. I'd like for the Horde to ask Geno when they have a chance.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I only liking your post because they are still working on the BY dislike button. I'm taking this as not good news. April was supposed to be the timeframe of Ezi US visit if there was going to be one.

I don't recall hearing that the timeframe for a visit was April; Carl A reported that the staff was working on putting together a visit during the season, i.e., before April. Ezi's WNBL season ends in December.

The SEABL season runs from April to August. The team Ezi signed with is based in Melbourne which is her home.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Just looked at the 2018 class. Hoopgurlz #53 Stephanie Soares 6-6 post - Home schooled from Texas is the last uncommitted/signed player in that class.
At 6-6 she will get multiple offers (if she hasn't already) even if she is a project. There are a lot of D2, D3 and NAIA programs that would take her in a heartbeat. They would not pick her up at the airport, they'd pick her up at her house. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It talked about Soares in the thread earlier. She actually isn’t in Texas anymore. Washington i believe is where she is playing her HS ball.

Both her brother and sister play basketball at The Masters University in Santa Clarita California. I think she is better than her siblings but she may try and somewhere close to there.

The Master's University - Athletics

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It talked about Soares in the thread earlier. She actually isn’t in Texas anymore. Washington i believe is where she is playing her HS ball.

The closest college/university to the Master's campus in Santa Clarita California is Cal-State Northridge, approximately 16 miles away (per map quest). CSN is a member of the BIG West Conference.

Former UConn graduate assistant Jasmine Lister's sister, Cinnamon was a member of the CSN women's team for 2 (2014 & 2015) years after spending 2 years at Boise State.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You and the rest of us!!!

I think it comes down to UConn vs ND in the end. Other schools with a chance but less so IMO are Duke, MD, UL. I don't see her going to Tx, SC b/c she's not the type of player that typically picks them or fits their system. Wake, NCST, VA. KY b/c are programs that lack great coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom