2018 Recruiting Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2018 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't understand making offers to 2018 kids with 10+ offers already, particularly those from 3 times zones west. And who do we have out there right now?

Why not? You are out there looking for last minute '17s, you happen to stop by Bishop Gorman, a powerhouse, while you travel that far you might as well tell half the team that we would be glad to take you next year. You show off your shiny new OC and say hey up and coming, immediate playing time, chance to turn around a once successful program. Then you hit the road and see if they ever call to inquire if not, no sweat. No extra resources or time spent chasing kids with huge offers. Who knows maybe just maybe one of the kids says I guess I'll camp while over the summer while I'm out on the east coast swing. And maybe you talk him into it.

Reaction Score
Why not? You are out there looking for last minute '17s, you happen to stop by Bishop Gorman, a powerhouse, while you travel that far you might as well tell half the team that we would be glad to take you next year. You show off your shiny new OC and say hey up and coming, immediate playing time, chance to turn around a once successful program. Then you hit the road and see if they ever call to inquire if not, no sweat. No extra resources or time spent chasing kids with huge offers. Who knows maybe just maybe one of the kids says I guess I'll camp while over the summer while I'm out on the east coast swing. And maybe you talk him into it.

You are the company you keep...

Reaction Score
none of this has ever worked in the past for us one iota. but - hey - sure - why not.
you never know. with coaching changes, pulled offers, lack of playing time/transfers/etc. it's always good to offer talent. it doesn't take a lot of effort to go "hey come to UConn we have a scholarship for you - if you commit elsewhere and things don't work out our line is always open"

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Previous M.O. hasn't necessarily worked wonders either. You miss all the shots you don't take.

Offering top kids we have no shot at is hardly new for us. Well, actually I think its new for Edsall, but PP and BD offered kids we had no shot at and nothing came of it. I'd rather focus on 3 star kids....which is the next rung on the ladder.

Reaction Score
Offering top kids we have no shot at is hardly new for us. Well, actually I think its new for Edsall, but PP and BD offered kids we had no shot at and nothing came of it. I'd rather focus on 3 star kids....which is the next rung on the ladder.

I was talking more new geography than top tier offers. This has Rhett Lashlee relationships written all over it.

Reaction Score

Manuel Allen is a 6-2 170lb WR/CB from Centennial High in Corona California. He is currently a USC commit. Other offers from Arkansas State, BYU, Cal, Colorado. Colarado State, Fresno State, Louisville, Nebraska, Notre Dame, UNLV, Utah, Washington and Washington State.

Manuel Allen highlights

Reaction Score
Nice to see we are taking a more National approach to recruiting for the 2018 class.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Nice to see we are taking a more National approach to recruiting for the 2018 class.

I have started to become a twitter stalker of our coaching staff and yes, all of them seem to be tracking several 2018 kids.

Reaction Score
Billy Crocker had Lorenzo Fertitta Jr at Villanova...Corey Edsall would know these kids from being at Colorado. Can't hurt to make the offer.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
I don't understand making offers to 2018 kids with 10+ offers already, particularly those from 3 times zones west. And who do we have out there right now?

the reasoning is simple, we did not go there for the 4 and 5 star recruits that have all of those offers, if you looked one of the kids has only a few fbs offers Colorado etc. that is a very reasonable offer but while you are there you would be stupid not to offer some of the best players in the country at the #1 ranked football team in the country. simple as that.

Reaction Score
the reasoning is simple, we did not go there for the 4 and 5 star recruits that have all of those offers, if you looked one of the kids has only a few fbs offers Colorado etc. that is a very reasonable offer but while you are there you would be stupid not to offer some of the best players in the country at the #1 ranked football team in the country. simple as that.
yup. that and the long con. transfers are up across the board in college sports. if a kid realizes after his freshman year that he's buried on the depth chart and just wants to ball, he can get back in touch with coaches that recruited him

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I thought several of the offered kids already had 10+ offers.

If it works out, great, I was wrong - happy to be wrong about this approach.

Btw, rivals posted a refresh of the top 150 recruits in the northeast a couple days ago. I think of the top 150, only two were not P5 bound, a UMass kid and Khari Fortt - for UConn.

As for laying the ground work for transfers - well - that does make sense to me.

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
I thought several of the offered kids already had 10+ offers.

If it works out, great, I was wrong - happy to be wrong about this approach.

Btw, rivals posted a refresh of the top 150 recruits in the northeast a couple days ago. I think of the top 150, only two were not P5 bound, a UMass kid and Khari Fortt - for UConn.

As for laying the ground work for transfers - well - that does make sense to me.

they offered 5 kids from the same high school in vegas that is currently ranked #1 in the country. One of those kids is a 3 star that only has a few fbs offers so far, the other 4 are the ones that hold the 10+ offers. it makes sense that it is the first kid who we are truly after/ went there to see. so like i said, it would be dumb to go to that school and not at the very least offer some of the most highly rated recruits in the country while there. also "this approach"most likely consists of "hey while we are here not only do we want you but we want a bunch of your teammates to come with you to help make our program great." end of approach and seeing how you dont have a limited amount of offers you can extend there is literally no down side to this. so again, it would be dumb not to extend an offer while sitting at the school they play for.

im not so sure what the 150 top NE recruits has to do with anything..... why would we limit ourselves to just the NE are? yes there are great players in the NE but why limit ourselves to one geographical recruiting zone?

finally the four star running back that is coming in on a grad transfer... yea he was recruited by terry richardson while he was at UConn. so while its not something to bank on you shouldn't dismiss it either.

Reaction Score

.im not so sure what the 150 top NE recruits has to do with anything..... why would we limit ourselves to just the NE are? yes there are great players in the NE but why limit ourselves to one geographical recruiting zone?

Scout Class of 2017: East Top 150

ZOOCONN

Reaction Score
oh yea i knew what he was referring to, i just meant why limit yourself to those areas instead of expanding to the whole country.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
oh yea i knew what he was referring to, i just meant why limit yourself to those areas instead of expanding to the whole country.
only areas that have direct flights to BDL ;)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That is the list that Exit 4 referenced I believe - it's not just the Northeast. Maine to VA.

Here is the remainder of the East Coast (Carolinas through Florida and over to Alabama/Mississippi.

Scout Class of 2017 - Top 150 Southeast

thanks Medic, you really do it all around here.

Zooconn, my point with the list is to provide concrete proof that G5 schools have virtually no shot at the top kids. The northeast is probably the weakest region for talent and yet G5 schools, according to Scout, could not muster more than a couple kids out the top 150. Yikes. And its not like G5 schools dont try, many of the kids have a 1/2 dozen offers from G5 schools alone, but nothing comes of it. So, I just dont get excited at all about it - unless there is a good story (ie the kid is local, parents are alumni, has friends on the team, takes an official visit, attends our summer camp, etc).
I have already stated, there is one benefit that does have some legs to it in my opinion. I agree that offering top kids sometimes helps bring them to you when they are ready to transfer for more playing time. Yep, that I can see. It worked with David Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom