2018-2019 Schedule Nearly Complete | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2018-2019 Schedule Nearly Complete

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Honestly I won’t be shocked if UCONN goes undefeated or has just 1 loss entering the tournament. Unless a big opponent is in the Virgin Islands, the only games where it’s conceivable that UCONN could lose are Notre Dame, Baylor and Louisville. Notre Dame is the toughest test, Geno always schools Walz, Baylor looks potent but I’m not sure how good they really were this year since they played such a weak schedule and bowed out early. Easily could win all 3. No one else has the horses to stay within 10-15 of UCONN. Keep in mind no one on the Huskies has ever lost a regular season game...I won’t be shocked if that record continues.
Wow, leave it to a Vol to set us straight. :D

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Remember what Stewie said during the FF this year: "Notre Dame is always a tough matchup for UConn. Unlike many teams, ND IS NOT affraid of UConn". Notre Dame will begin the season as the #1 ranked team in Division 1. Please don't think ND will go into next year with fear or trepidation, nay. They will bust in the door in that 1st game, kicking ass and taking names, with the intent of proving that winning this year's championship was not a fluke. :eek:

The target and focus will be on their backs for a change, allowing for UConn to make that come from behind late season charge for the wire at the end of the regular season. I expect ND to hold on to that #1 ranking most of the year. I don't expect them to lose more than 1 game (if that many) before post season tournament games begin. The 2018-2019 team could be the best team Muffet has had in years.
I just hope ND does not become bad for WBB.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Been to USVI on numerous occasions to snorkel, sail and generally relax and drink rum. I will certainly look into planning a trip to visit again and watch the Huskies, but I am a concerned at what shape the islands are in following the devastation of Irma & Maria.
I think the islanders might be more concerned about what shape you are in for a bathing suit to snorkel...:eek:

Reaction Score
Good about Paradise Jam. I guess that means more than 38 games. Good. The more we play, the more we win, and the faster Geno catches Tara and then Pat. :eek:

Good about Baylor. Hmm, no Stanford, no Texas, no Maryland, no UCLA. I can't remember the reasons we are not playing these teams next year. I know this was discussed on BY. I'm getting more and more senior. Head bang Thoughts on the teams we are not playing? Hmm, wouldn't it be great to play MS?
I would also love to see Miss. St.; Tennessee ( will never happen ); Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA, Texas, and Texas A&M. What I really want is never to play another game against the AAC teams. Dream on.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Home game against Ohio State will be the season opener.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Should be a battle for #1 ranking. Storyline should be how ready are UCONN’s freshmen compared to how ND reintegrates Turner.

Real battle will be in the post season should they meet in the Final Four (which they likely will). Interesting stat—UCONN is 2-0 vs ND in title games, ND is 4-1 vs UCONN in the semis.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Can't wait to get some. Finally ND will learn (I mean not Muffet, she already knows), what it feels like to have a target on their backs. How it feels to have mediocre teams play out of their heads every night, every play. What it feels like to have over expectant fans criticizing close games. They should be well softened up by then.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Can't wait to get some. Finally ND will learn (I mean not Muffet, she already knows), what it feels like to have a target on their backs. How it feels to have mediocre teams play out of their heads every night, every play. What it feels like to have over expectant fans criticizing close games. They should be well softened up by then.
Very different expectations...I don't think anyone thinks ND is going to run the table next year while most fans predicted UCONN would run the table in 4 of the last 5 seasons (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018.)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Very different expectations...I don't think anyone thinks ND is going to run the table next year

Why not? They lost three games this past season, two very close games to UConn and Louisville plus the blowout in Louisville. Both those teams should take a step or two back on paper while Notre Dame potentially improves significantly with the return of Turner and the possible leap to stardom of Young.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why not? They lost three games this past season, two very close games to UConn and Louisville plus the blowout in Louisville. Both those teams should take a step or two back on paper while Notre Dame potentially improves significantly with the return of Turner and the possible leap to stardom of Young.
Sometimes less is more. It will be interesting to see how ND integrates Shepard and Turner, who are both more effective in the low post than out on the floor.

As for UConn, I believe Pheesa will have a monster year as the primary low post threat for the Huskies, as she was 2 years ago. This past year, Pheesa was somewhat hamstrung as UConn tried with only partial success to develop Z as a low post threat, forcing Pheesa to find a different role in the offense.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Sometimes less is more. It will be interesting to see how ND integrates Shepard and Turner, who are both more effective in the low post than out on the floor.

As for UConn, I believe Pheesa will have a monster year as the primary low post threat for the Huskies, as she was 2 years ago. This past year, Pheesa was somewhat hamstrung as UConn tried with only partial success to develop Z as a low post threat, forcing Pheesa to find a different role in the offense.

A few points:

- ND has a very interesting weekend, playing Iowa in the B1G/ACC Classic the Thursday before the UConn game. That will bring Megan Gustafson, Kathleen Doyle and crew to the bend. It will also be a good opportunity to see Brianna Turner and/or Mik Vaughn do some one-on-one defense.

- Jordy: While it's not quite the same as having a #1 target on the back, MM does a good job of putting the Irish into tough environments early in the schedule to get them ready for both the ACC schedule and NCAA tournament. They were out on the road in the beginning of the season a lot last year, traveling to Western Kentucky, Oregon State, Michigan and Florida to play South Carolina and others in an early tournament.

- Old Dude: McGraw Benchers have thought about the "less is more" aspect but I'm not sure we agree with the assessment that Shepard is more of a low post. In fact, she only took over at the low post because Turner was out. MM thinks of her as kind of a combo, able to play the high post like the departed Kat Westbeld and then drive to the hoop. Plus, Shepard is a superb passer, so I expect she and Bri T. to work well with each other in the lane.

My question on UConn's offense is a slightly different one than yours:
If I remember correctly, Gabby Williams had the most assists on the team last season so the ball was coming into where she was setting up and then she'd find the next link in the offense. Will UConn become more PG-centric with Dangerfield (who had the second most assists)? Or will someone else fill that portion of the offense? If so, whom? (On another note, Gabby also led the team in rebounding...quite a threat. As I've often said, she was the Husky I always feared most against ND.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A few points:

- ND has a very interesting weekend, playing Iowa in the B1G/ACC Classic the Thursday before the UConn game. That will bring Megan Gustafson, Kathleen Doyle and crew to the bend. It will also be a good opportunity to see Brianna Turner and/or Mik Vaughn do some one-on-one defense.

- Jordy: While it's not quite the same as having a #1 target on the back, MM does a good job of putting the Irish into tough environments early in the schedule to get them ready for both the ACC schedule and NCAA tournament. They were out on the road in the beginning of the season a lot last year, traveling to Western Kentucky, Oregon State, Michigan and Florida to play South Carolina and others in an early tournament.

- Old Dude: McGraw Benchers have thought about the "less is more" aspect but I'm not sure we agree with the assessment that Shepard is more of a low post. In fact, she only took over at the low post because Turner was out. MM thinks of her as kind of a combo, able to play the high post like the departed Kat Westbeld and then drive to the hoop. Plus, Shepard is a superb passer, so I expect she and Bri T. to work well with each other in the lane.

My question on UConn's offense is a slightly different one than yours:
If I remember correctly, Gabby Williams had the most assists on the team last season so the ball was coming into where she was setting up and then she'd find the next link in the offense. Will UConn become more PG-centric with Dangerfield (who had the second most assists)? Or will someone else fill that portion of the offense? If so, whom? (On another note, Gabby also led the team in rebounding...quite a threat. As I've often said, she was the Husky I always feared most against ND.)
Dillon,
I’ve seen Shepard play inside & out and she’s far more effective down low imo. As for replacing Gabby, I agree it will be a challenge, but as I said in another thread, I actually believe Lou is a more effective passer, and that Lou & Pheesa will wear teams out executing pick and rolls from the high post.

As for my belief that “less is more,” if any team proved my point, it was this past season’s Irish team. I’m counting on MM struggling to find an 8-9 player rotation that works. ;)

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Because UCONN has two returning All Americans and has the most talented roster in the country and the best incoming class. Mabrey is a great player but isn’t a PG and has struggled with turnovers. Who knows how effective Turner will be when she’s back, her play could disrupt rhythm found by her teammates. And Notre Dame wasn’t head and shoulders better than most teams this year. They nearly lost to Mississippi State (the no call on Mabrey/William was massive) and were down by 23 to Tennessee at one point. In all the years where UCONN was favored to go undefeated, they either had Stewart (2014-2016) or returned everyone plus Stevens and Walker from their 36-1 team in 2016-17 who lost on a buzzer beater. Notre Dame is expected to be the favorite going into next season, but they’re far from a heavy favorite. If you’re willing to bet on ND going undefeated vs not, I’ll gladly take that bet.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Really? What happened?

MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Former McDonald's All-American forward De'Janae Boykin will join the West Virginia women's basketball team, as announced by coach Mike Carey on Wednesday.

After originally signing with UConn, Boykin comes to Morgantown from Penn State. She started 29 games for the Nittany Lions in 2017-18, averaging 7.6 rebounds per contest to lead the Nittany Lions. In addition to averaging 5.8 points per game, the Springdale, Maryland, native accrued 14 steals, 22 blocks and 48 assists on the year. She ranked fourth on the team in minutes per game at 29.4 and was third in blocked shots. The 6-foot-2 Boykin joined the Nittany Lions in the spring of 2016 and played the second half of the 2016-17 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

RF5tzx7I.jpg

"De'Janae is a player we recruited out of high school, so we're very familiar with her," Carey said. "She is a player that will have an immediate impact on our team, especially at the three and the four. We look forward to having her on our roster."

[Story]

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Former McDonald's All-American forward De'Janae Boykin will join the West Virginia women's basketball team, as announced by coach Mike Carey on Wednesday.

After originally signing with UConn, Boykin comes to Morgantown from Penn State. She started 29 games for the Nittany Lions in 2017-18, averaging 7.6 rebounds per contest to lead the Nittany Lions. In addition to averaging 5.8 points per game, the Springdale, Maryland, native accrued 14 steals, 22 blocks and 48 assists on the year. She ranked fourth on the team in minutes per game at 29.4 and was third in blocked shots. The 6-foot-2 Boykin joined the Nittany Lions in the spring of 2016 and played the second half of the 2016-17 season due to NCAA transfer rules.

RF5tzx7I.jpg

"De'Janae is a player we recruited out of high school, so we're very familiar with her," Carey said. "She is a player that will have an immediate impact on our team, especially at the three and the four. We look forward to having her on our roster."

[Story]
So she will sit out a full season and then have 1.5 years of eligibility left. Boykin is something of a WBB nomad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom