2018-2019 Schedule Nearly Complete | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2018-2019 Schedule Nearly Complete

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Because UCONN has two returning All Americans and has the most talented roster in the country and the best incoming class. Mabrey is a great player but isn’t a PG and has struggled with turnovers. Who knows how effective Turner will be when she’s back, her play could disrupt rhythm found by her teammates. And Notre Dame wasn’t head and shoulders better than most teams this year. They nearly lost to Mississippi State (the no call on Mabrey/William was massive) and were down by 23 to Tennessee at one point. In all the years where UCONN was favored to go undefeated, they either had Stewart (2014-2016) or returned everyone plus Stevens and Walker from their 36-1 team in 2016-17 who lost on a buzzer beater. Notre Dame is expected to be the favorite going into next season, but they’re far from a heavy favorite. If you’re willing to bet on ND going undefeated vs not, I’ll gladly take that bet.

I think they have the best shot at it. Mabrey at point didn't seem to hurt them last season. Turner should help their defense immensely if nothing else. They'll have offense galore. They were a terrific rebounding team this past year and they add a 6-5 pogo stick.

UConn had six legit players this past season. At this point you can only count on three this coming year depending on the development of underclassmen and freshmen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think they have the best shot at it. Mabrey at point didn't seem to hurt them last season. Turner should help their defense immensely if nothing else. They'll have offense galore. They were a terrific rebounding team this past year and they add a 6-5 pogo stick.

UConn had six legit players this past season. At this point you can only count on three this coming year depending on the development of underclassmen and freshmen.
Who's the 6'5" pogo stick?

Reaction Score

I thought Turner was 6’3” :confused: ....... if that’s who your referring to?

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Best shot is one thing, being a UCONN caliber favorite is another. Mabrey had 9 TOs in the title game. Rewatch the Louisville games. She can be stellar but she’s not a top rate PG. She’s a fantastic wing playing out of position for the betterment of her team. Offense galore is there but they were not a good defensive team last year. Turner is 6-3, not 6-5, and she’s coming off an ACL so who knows if she’ll be as much of a pogo stick. She also isn’t a great passer out of the post like Shepard is, so offense might not be as crisp next year. It could be better too, but it’s an unknown.

UCONN played just six but had a HS POY sitting on the bench. This year they bring in 2 top kids and will have 3 HS POY on the roster. The only other team with 1 is Baylor. Regardless of age, talent wise UCONN is the cream of the crop once again. Even if you only have proven results from 3 players, that’s a good number. In 2016-17 you really just had Nurse/KLS as proven commodities coming back, 2015-16 just had 4 with the Big 3 and Nurse coming back, 2014-15 had just 4 proven players returning, 2013-14 had 4 as well. Even if Walker, Ono and Williams aren’t proven, odds are at least 1-2 step up and other returners like Collier/Dangerfield will continue to improve as well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Best shot is one thing, being a UCONN caliber favorite is another. Mabrey had 9 TOs in the title game. Rewatch the Louisville games. She can be stellar but she’s not a top rate PG. She’s a fantastic wing playing out of position for the betterment of her team. Offense galore is there but they were not a good defensive team last year.

Right, but they still won and beat UConn, Mississippi State, and Oregon along the way. Young has a chance to be an all-american. Everyone else is back. Turner is back. McGraw's an excellent coach. Where's the weakness?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Even if you only have proven results from 3 players, that’s a good number. In 2016-17 you really just had Nurse/KLS as proven commodities coming back, 2015-16 just had 4 with the Big 3 and Nurse coming back, 2014-15 had just 4 proven players returning, 2013-14 had 4 as well. Even if Walker, Ono and Williams aren’t proven, odds are at least 1-2 step up and other returners like Collier/Dangerfield will continue to improve as well.

Nah, in the 2016-2017 team had Gabby returning after a strong sophomore campaign, and she was the best player in the nation. Collier was the one who took the huge leap but many of us wondered why she wasn't better as a freshmen.

If you're comparing to this season, Walker would have to make not just a leap, but a huge one to match what Collier did. Then there is no Gabby Williams on this team. UConn hasn't had a freshmen impact player since KLS. ONO and/or Williams will have to be impact players for UConn to win a title.

The Huskies lost their two best defensive players, their biggest play-maker, one of their two best shooters, their two best rebounders, and their most efficient offensive player. They are replacing them with hopes of Walker and Coombs and two freshmen.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Best shot is one thing, being a UCONN caliber favorite is another. Mabrey had 9 TOs in the title game. Rewatch the Louisville games. She can be stellar but she’s not a top rate PG. She’s a fantastic wing playing out of position for the betterment of her team. Offense galore is there but they were not a good defensive team last year. Turner is 6-3, not 6-5, and she’s coming off an ACL so who knows if she’ll be as much of a pogo stick. She also isn’t a great passer out of the post like Shepard is, so offense might not be as crisp next year. It could be better too, but it’s an unknown.

UCONN played just six but had a HS POY sitting on the bench. This year they bring in 2 top kids and will have 3 HS POY on the roster. The only other team with 1 is Baylor. Regardless of age, talent wise UCONN is the cream of the crop once again. Even if you only have proven results from 3 players, that’s a good number. In 2016-17 you really just had Nurse/KLS as proven commodities coming back, 2015-16 just had 4 with the Big 3 and Nurse coming back, 2014-15 had just 4 proven players returning, 2013-14 had 4 as well. Even if Walker, Ono and Williams aren’t proven, odds are at least 1-2 step up and other returners like Collier/Dangerfield will continue to improve as well.

In an earlier post on this thread, I acknowledged that it will take awhile for ND to get some aspects of it's game together. Regarding a few of those:

- Turner is listed as 6'3", looks a bit taller depending on the hairstyle she's wearing and, indeed, has good hops and arm extension, making her seem taller.

Will she come back from the ACL? When the season starts, it will be nearly 1 1/2 years since she had the injury in the NCAAs. Reports are good. We can only see how that plays out on the court.

Mik Vaughn is also coming off an ACL and she's another very tall one (6'3") to match up with Turner and Shepard.

- Speaking of playing tall, Jackie Young can play inside very well for a six-footer. If she can start stroking more outside shots with confidence, it will open up the middle even more for the ND posts, both low- and high.

- Mabrey spent the summer of '17 working on her shot, period. She picked up the PG duties in-season/on-the-fly. The plan is for to be the lead guard this season and she is allegedly spending the time this summer working as such. Will she morph into Lindsay Allen? Doubtful. Will she be more efficient against full-court pressure? Depends on who the Irish are playing. Will she be better? Yup.
Given the end result of last season, it wasn't so bad. ;)

BTW, she'll have help with the press: Jordan Nixon has a serious handle and looks pretty calm and collected when I see her.

The best part about this post is I have not had to mention the Irish leading scorer once... :cool:

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillon,
I’ve seen Shepard play inside & out and she’s far more effective down low imo. As for replacing Gabby, I agree it will be a challenge, but as I said in another thread, I actually believe Lou is a more effective passer, and that Lou & Pheesa will wear teams out executing pick and rolls from the high post.

As for my belief that “less is more,” if any team proved my point, it was this past season’s Irish team. I’m counting on MM struggling to find an 8-9 player rotation that works. ;)

- MM has acknowledged that having to go with so few players last season was a challenge. She simply had to keep them in, fouls and mistakes regardless. As such, she was coaching from a "half-full" approach, rather than a "half-empty, take a seat for awhile" tact.

I personally liked it and find that favors an upper classmen-laden team, like the Irish will be this year. Players don't have to look over their shoulder to see if a mishap will result in a substitution. They can learn from it and move on. (MM did and will always "have a chat" over defensive efforts or lack thereof.)

Will she keep that approach? That will be an interesting take.

- Still, she's got to work in returning players (Patterson, Vaughn) and the frosh (Cosgrove, Prohaska, Gilbert and most noticeably, the point guard Nixon), not just for this year, but for next when only Young returns from the starters.

- I'll be really interested in how much else Geno puts on KLS, given how well she excels at what she's doing.

- As for those pick and rolls and two-person games with KLS and Pheesa, I think that'll work against some teams, but not others. The December game will be interesting in that respect.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Right, but they still won and beat UConn, Mississippi State, and Oregon along the way. Young has a chance to be an all-american. Everyone else is back. Turner is back. McGraw's an excellent coach. Where's the weakness?

The Mississippi State and UCONN games were essentially ties separated by a shot from Arike. They played their best ball of the year in the NCAA tournament after having some shaky stretches during the regular season. Going from that to having pressure on them to be undefeated just isn’t unrealistic. Pressure to repeat is one thing, expecting a team to go undefeated is another. If you had betting money right now, would you bet on Notre Dame going undefeated next year?

bballnut90

Reaction Score
In an earlier post on this thread, I acknowledged that it will take awhile for ND to get some aspects of it's game together. Regarding a few of those:

- Turner is listed as 6'3", looks a bit taller depending on the hairstyle she's wearing and, indeed, had good hops and arm extension, making her seem taller.

Will she come back from the ACL? When the season starts, it will be nearly 1 1/2 years since she had the injury in the NCAAs. Reports are good. We can only see.

Mik Vaughn is also coming off an ACL and she's another tall one to match up with Turner and Shepard.

- Speaking of playing tall, Jackie Young can play inside very well for a six-footer. If she can start stroking more outside shots with confidence, it will open up the middle even more for the posts.

- Mabrey spent the summer of '17 working on her shot. She picked up the PG duties in season/on the fly. The plan is for to be the lead guard this season and she is allegedly spending the time this summer working as such. Will she morph into Lindsay Allen? Doubtful. Will she be more efficient against full-court pressure? Depends on who we're playing. Will she be better? Yup.
Given the end result of last season, it wasn't so bad. ;)

BTW, she'll have help with the press: Jordan Nixon has a serious handle and looks pretty calm and collected when I see her.

The best part about this post is I have not had to mention the Irish leading scorer once... :cool:

Agree with everything you’re saying—ND is going to be a handful and should be the team to beat. The potential is outstanding and they should have a deeper roster (for better or worse). I just don’t think anyone is expecting them to go undefeated like we expected UCONN to go undefeated this year and in previous seasons.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Mississippi State and UCONN games were essentially ties separated by a shot from Arike.

They were only one of two teams to give UConn a game all year, and they did it twice including in Hartford. On paper, UConn should never have lost. Now Notre Dame should be a heavy favorite. I think they have a legit shot at undefeated. They've come close before (2014).

bballnut90

Reaction Score
They were only one of two teams to give UConn a game all year, and they did it twice including in Hartford. On paper, UConn should never have lost. Now Notre Dame should be a heavy favorite. I think they have a legit shot at undefeated. They've come close before (2014).

A shot is one thing, being favored to go undefeated like UCONN has in 4 of the last 5 seasons is another.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A shot is one thing, being favored to go undefeated like UCONN has in 4 of the last 5 seasons is another.

No doubt that UConn has spoiled us all with their numerous undefeated seasons recently. They made it look easy, but we all know it wasn't. Without looking it up, can you remember the last team besides UConn to go undefeated wire to wire and win the NC? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
No doubt that UConn has spoiled us all with their numerous undefeated seasons recently. They made it look easy, but we all know it wasn't. Without looking it up, can you remember the last team besides UConn to go undefeated wire to wire and win the NC? :rolleyes:
I think it was Baylor in whatever year Kim won her only championship?

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think it was Baylor in whatever year Kim won her only championship?
Correct. 2012 her team went 40-0. But she also won another championship in 2005.
Note - Before Baylor's 40-0 undefeated season, the last non-uconn team to go undefeated was Tennessee in 1998
that went 39-0.

Mulkey (2005/2012), Tara Van derveer (Stanford 90/92), Muffet McGraw (Notre Dame 2001/2018) and Geno are the only ACTIVE D-1 head basketball coaches to have won MULTIPLE NCAA championships.

Active head coaches that have won a chip are: Silvia Hatchell (UNC 1994), Brenda Frese (Maryland 2006), Gary Blair (Texas A&M 2011), and Dawn Staley (South Carolina 2017).

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Non-Conference schedule with dates:

Huskies Announce 2018-19 Non-Conference Schedule

DgJy50fXUA82E4Y.jpg

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Again 3 non-conference games after Jan 1. Baylor and Louisville games are Thursday nights and the South Carolina game will be Monday night.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn plays Ohio State on November 11th, then their second exhibition game against Southern Connecticut State on November 15th. :confused:

Reaction Score
Wow, that's a quite the set of opponents to cap off that schedule early in the new year. Good to see Balyor back on the list. One thing's for sure... the Huskies are going to know who they are and where they stand going into March.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lou gets her home coming. How happy and how sad.
I’m not sure I’d call Cal a homecoming game. Berkeley is 400+ miles from Huntington Beach, or about a 7 hour drive.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I could be wrong here, but I don't think any team sets a goal of going undefeated at the beginning of the season. There are too many other realistic reachable goals they can set. It's too hard, and really doesn't mean anything if you don't win it all. In the 36 years (1982) the NCAA has been in governing women's college sports, there have been only 9 undefeated women's D-1 basketball teams. UConn owns 6 of those accomplishments (Texas 1986, Tennessee 1998 and Baylor 2012 - the other 3). During the course of the season, you focus on the BIGGEST game on your schedule...........................the next one!!!. You don't look ahead, and you watch out for "trap" games. You do that and let the chips fall where they may.

Everyone's goal is to make the field of 64 at the end of the season, then win all 6 games. I fondly remember 2014-2015 season. UConn lost the 2nd game on the schedule to Stanford. I thought at the time it was a "good and timely loss" (early in the season). They regrouped, refocused and ran the table from there through the championship game in April to win the NC. Everybody was happy. :D

After the season was over, I don't recall anyone being distraught over the loss, wishing the team had gone undefeated. UConn fans were too busy reveling, giving high fives and enjoying their favorite adult beverages to care about that. I'll repeat and endorse what another poster recently said........."I'd be OK with 4-5 losses this year if UConn wins the NC." I'll take it a step further. If UConn wins #12 this season, I'll buy the first round. Cheers. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I’d call Cal a homecoming game. Berkeley is 400+ miles from Huntington Beach, or about a 7 hour drive.

You beat me to the punch, and your calculations are correct. I was going to share that observation also. A true "homecoming" game for Lou would be in Pauley Pavilion (UCLA).

Carnac

Reaction Score
Again 3 non-conference games after Jan 1. Baylor and Louisville games are Thursday nights and the South Carolina game will be Monday night.

No doubt all 3 games will be on national TV. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom