2018-2019 Coaching Carousel | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel

Reaction Score
I mean if it did happen that would be huge for the conference. I just don’t see it as realistic
They have a sugar daddy. Tuberville left the SEC for Cincinnati. It's not unprecedented. For the right dollars, he will go there.

Reaction Score
I think it’s entirely possible. He likes it there and he’s got a billionaire willing to secure his services (and they are buds). I don’t consider it huge for the conference, its huge for Houston. If we could buy a coach of our choosing, we’d be much better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They have a sugar daddy. Tuberville left the SEC for Cincinnati. It's not unprecedented. For the right dollars, he will go there.

Tuberville was just about done in Texas. Different situation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sources: Houston evaluating replacing Major Applewhite, considering Dana Hoglorsen - FootballScoop

>>Rather than rebuild after two unsatisfactory seasons (by the school’s stated standard), sources said U of H boosters are evaluating all options, including considering bringing in West Virginia head coach Dana Holgorsen to replace Applewhite.

Holgorsen was Houston’s offensive coordinator in the 2008-09 seasons, working under head coach Kevin Sumlin, before moving on to Oklahoma State and later WVU, but he kept two important assets behind in Houston — his home, and friendship with U of H superbooster Tilman Fertitta.

The self-made billionaire has been unapologetic about his desire to build Houston into a major college football program, and luring away a sitting Big 12 head coach would be a shiny notch on that belt. Fertitta’s $20 million gift got The Fertitta Center done for example.<<

Picking up steam it appears:
Houston set to fire Applewhite, and Holgorsen is top candidate

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Houston putting on their big boy pants. 7-5 in year 1; 8-5 in year 2...and not good enough for UH. Targeting Holgorsen is a gangster move. A clear Big 12 expansion move at a time that UConn "fans" are actually debating the merits of firing a defensive coordinator who oversaw the worst FBS defense in history or, better yet, dropping the sport altogether.

Some schools/ADs get it and some don't.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Houston putting on their big boy pants. 7-5 in year 1; 8-5 in year 2...and not good enough for UH. Targeting Holgorsen is a gangster move. A clear Big 12 expansion move at a time that UConn "fans" are actually debating the merits of firing a defensive coordinator who oversaw the worst FBS defense in history or, better yet, dropping the sport altogether.

True....but I dont see how the TV economics will ever allow UH into the B12. The economics dont work. UH does not add TV sets and that remains relevant for CRA regardless of cable erosion.

Reaction Score
True....but I dont see how the TV economics will ever allow UH into the B12. The economics dont work. UH does not add TV sets and that remains relevant for CRA regardless of cable erosion.

Agreed. Houston only has a shot if a current Texas school leaves.

Reaction Score

Big ole balls. It'd be like UConn Basketball firing their Head Coach after back-to-back First Round tournament losses.

Reaction Score

Thamel ruthlessly on the side of “they don’t get it”:

Reaction Score
Fertitta, round up a couple of your billionaire friends and buy UH's way into the PAC12. They're openly announcing they will take applications.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The Big 12 only expands if/when it improves their football product. That's it. They don't care about academics, basketball, TV markets, branding, footprint, APR, whatever. They care about football. And if Houston hires the right guy and they get back into the NY6 discussion, watch how quickly the chuckling at a "desperate Big 12 move" turns into a brilliant, football move...just like Kansas hiring Miles was received by the same people chuckling at Houston.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I get what you're saying and I agree that we don't spend enough on football. That being said, Houston is playing in the same financial conference situation as we are. The biggest, and it's huge, difference between us and them is that we don't have a billionaire booster who'll hire anyone the school wants, no matter the cost.

UConn is in a different world when it comes to football and boosters. Maintaining the basketball team is the priority at the school and I can't blame them. However, they need football to get to greener pastures. Dropping it or underfunding it is a big mistake. That's something out fans don't understand. Basketball won't move the needle and definitely won't bring in more money than what we will get in the AAC new deal.

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying and I agree that we don't spend enough on football. That being said, Houston is playing in the same financial conference situation as we are. The biggest, and it's huge, difference between us and them is that we don't have a billionaire booster who'll hire anyone the school wants, no matter the cost.

UConn is in a different world when it comes to football and boosters. Maintaining the basketball team is the priority at the school and I can't blame them. However, they need football to get to greener pastures. Dropping it or underfunding it is a big mistake. That's something out fans don't understand. Basketball won't move the needle and definitely won't bring in more money than what we will get in the AAC new deal.
I’ve said it several times Houston has T Boone Pickens light in Fertitta and he has no problem spending his $$ on UH athletics. Until UConn has someone like that things will be what they will be. The money he gives to the UH athletic Dept makes what Burton gave to UConn seem like spare change.

Reaction Score

State of Shock: Mark Richt Retires from Coaching

>>“A few hours ago, I informed UM Director of Athletics Blake James that it is time for me to retire from coaching so I am stepping down as the head coach of UM Football. The decision came after a great deal of thought, discussions with my family and prayer. This was my decision. The University of Miami has been a part of my life for more than three decades. It shaped me as a young man and provided me with the coaching opportunity of a lifetime,” Richt stated in the release.<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
State of Shock: Mark Richt Retires from Coaching

>>“A few hours ago, I informed UM Director of Athletics Blake James that it is time for me to retire from coaching so I am stepping down as the head coach of UM Football. The decision came after a great deal of thought, discussions with my family and prayer. This was my decision. The University of Miami has been a part of my life for more than three decades. It shaped me as a young man and provided me with the coaching opportunity of a lifetime,” Richt stated in the release.<<
A bad game a Yankee stadium becomes his final moment. Wonder if he retires if they had won.

Reaction Score
A bad game a Yankee stadium becomes his final moment. Wonder if he retires if they had won.

Changes were going to be forced on him, particularly on offense, win or lose. This is one of those that is best for everyone as he put a lot of things in good order down here, but clearly doesn't have the fire to run things from the sideline anymore.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Changes were going to be forced on him, particularly on offense, win or lose. This is one of those that is best for everyone as he put a lot of things in good order down here, but clearly doesn't have the fire to run things from the sideline anymore.
His retirement shocks me....he is only 58 and UM is his Alma mater. He has only been there three years. Could they really force change on him? Seems like he should have more power than that.

And.....he says "retire"? Is he really retiring at 58 from coaching? This is an odd one.

Reaction Score
His retirement shocks me....he is only 58 and UM is his Alma mater. He has only been there three years. Could they really force change on him? Seems like he should have more power than that.

And.....he says "retire"? Is he really retiring at 58 from coaching? This is an odd one.

He is way behind the times offensively and the pressure was building for him to hire someone to run the offense as opposed to him being the head coach and OC. People were upset that they fell way short of expectations this season, but it was the terrible offensive play that really did him in. Just completely inexcusable to be that bad offensively and he publicly announced that he wasn't going to make any changes. I think it went the same way it did for him at Georgia, only here he got to retire as opposed to being fired. I give him credit for being true to himself, but it is a shame that he didn't really see that he needed to adapt. He could have had a nice run down here I think, if not for being so stubborn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom