2017 Yankees thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2017 Yankees thread

Reaction Score
Betances may be Steve Blass now. Hate to let him go for nothing, Bronx kid, great stuff still young but man, he's scary lost mentally. I'd keep him unless there was a bargain out there.

The trade as many of you mentioned turned out huge, and the "throw in" Frazier has just been great when needed.

The FOX crew, mainly Buck just can't shut the k up they miss so many little things to talk about. I mean Headley's hit was great. But within that base running blunder falling down there some very interesting and key baseball plays which they didn't talk about. #1 Correia needed to turn and run at him. #2 Headley's decision was excellent because that was the only way he was going to be safe, a rundown was out of the question he was dead, so that's actually a very heady baseball play. #3 everyone pointed out Altuve being behind the bag, after watching it again it seemed to me the reason he was behind was being so small he needed space to see over Headley to see where the throw was coming from.

Last night, key pitch after key pitch by Tanaka he was so good. Good to have Sanchez and Judge at least impacting, not at their best but capable right now (how did Aaron look at 3 strikes his last AB without swinging puzzling). But

Headley is hotter than horse piss again, good timing. Need Gardner to start swinging at strike one and not worrying about chasing up the pitch count. He hasn't hit the ball hard since Cleveland. Need him to get aggressive in Houston.

Gonna be a tough 2 games, hopefully 1. Verlander - like our chances this time.

Its sad about Betances there is no one I wanted to succeed out of the pen in the playoffs more then Betances being a Bronx kid and all, but hes a complete liability to say the least. I dont think the Yankees will get anything in return for him unless a team is desperate for relievers and think they can fix him, might as well try to fix him in the offseason, the Astros could use him, I wouldn't trade with them though unless we got a steal, an NL team only (preferably).

Good to see Headley heat up were gonna need him, thats was a great heads up play, just stay on your feet for now on lol. Gardner is being way to patient your batting in front of Judge you will get pitches to hit, he gets on base teams really gotta pick their poison with Judge at the plate, Didi and Sanchez batting behind him and you gotta worry about Gardner on the base path. Gardner being on base changes everything. I was ok with the lineup taking pitches against Keuchel but when your facing scrubs out of the pen let it rip. Tanaka was amazing last night.

The Fox crew gets way to into story lines rather then calling the game. It would be nice if Buck STFU for 2 seconds. Gotta stay hungry and wrap it up on Friday.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
One thing that I find amazing is that 15 months ago we were old, slow, highly overpaid with a very thin minor league system. Add to this, our few prospects at that time were either hurt (Bird), questionable on the major league level (Severino) or a question mark if they would ever make the big league (Sanchez, Judge, Mateo).

Now we young, loaded and on the brink of the world series, all in a little more than a year.

Reaction Score
One thing that I find amazing is that 15 months ago we were old, slow, highly overpaid with a very thin minor league system. Add to this, our few prospects at that time were either hurt (Bird), questionable on the major league level (Severino) or a question mark if they would ever make the big league (Sanchez, Judge, Mateo).

Now we young, loaded and on the brink of the world series, all in a little more than a year.

Have to give Cashman a ton of credit for this. Not only did he pull in a haul in the Chapman/Miller/Beltran/Nova trades, but the mid-season trades for Gray, Frazier, Kahnle & Robertson all seem to have paid off. The future is bright for Yankee fans if everyone stays healthy.

Reaction Score
What do you think about Tanaka's potential free agency? He's been pre-arm issues Tanaka since the All-Star break and has really been lights out in the playoffs. Does this get him to walk away from the remaining time on his contract? Do the Yankees sign him to an extension? A 1-2-3 pitching lineup of Severino, Tanaka, Gray sounds pretty good. Then you can decide on whether to bring back CC and who among the younger starters is ready. Montgomery was impressive this season, but I know there are other young arms in the minors ready for their chance.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
What do you think about Tanaka's potential free agency? He's been pre-arm issues Tanaka since the All-Star break and has really been lights out in the playoffs. Does this get him to walk away from the remaining time on his contract? Do the Yankees sign him to an extension? A 1-2-3 pitching lineup of Severino, Tanaka, Gray sounds pretty good. Then you can decide on whether to bring back CC and who among the younger starters is ready. Montgomery was impressive this season, but I know there are other young arms in the minors ready for their chance.
Tanaka is still relatively young, under 30, so there might be some desire on his part to opt out in hopes of a better contract. However, seeing how those long-term contracts for pitchers (and some position players <cough> ARod <cough>) have come back and bit the teams that entered into them, I wonder if his agent would advise him to do so. That and his elbow may have healed somewhat, but it might still be compromised. Add to that the new pitching modus operandi of more sliders and splits, and saving the fastball to finish, could result in even greater compromise of his elbow. It will be interesting how this unfolds. Sometimes opting out does not yield the desired results, especially if he and his agent are hoping the Yankees bid against themselves.
I hope they bring CC back for a 1/2 year contract. He seems to be the guy you want on the mound after a loss, as game 3 in this series showed us. Besides I like those crafty southpaws, they are much better than righties who throw junkballs.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
oh no the dreaded back to back, belly to belly post, but I will post regardless.

In your opinion, what was the biggest surprise this season?
For me, Severino. I did not see that coming. Then again, thank you Pedro M for your mentorship. But wow, the ace of the staff, and legitimate lights out starter? Did not expect that to occur.
Well that and being a game away from the World Series. I will admit predicting they would miss the play-offs completely. Now it just seems absolutely to be a no-brainer of where they are, should have seen it coming.

Reaction Score

Even with Tanaka pittching well again, I think he'd be crazy to opt out. There is a lot of mileage on a relatively young arm; an arm that we know has some damage to it and an arm that has had trouble holding up for 200 innings. He's making ace $$ right now and when right he is one; but the "right" has become an outlier.

Reaction Score
Even with Tanaka pittching well again, I think he'd be crazy to opt out. There is a lot of mileage on a relatively young arm; an arm that we know has some damage to it and an arm that has had trouble holding up for 200 innings. He's making ace $$ right now and when right he is one; but the "right" has become an outlier.
Actually, he's not making "ace money". Ace money in MLB right now is $ 30+ M per year. See, also, David Price and Zack Greinke. Price is making between $30 and $32 M and Greinke is at $34.5 M. Tanaka is making just 2/3 of that. At worst, Tanaka is going to leverage that opt out into an extension. Not sure if he'll get to 5, 6, or 7 years, but if the Yankees manage to get to the WS either tonight or tomorrow night, the timeline may not give him a choice. The deadline for the opt out for CC in 2011 was November 1. WS game 7 is scheduled for November 1. There won't be much time for the two sides to figure out an extension before the likely opt out deadline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, he's not making "ace money". Ace money in MLB right now is $ 30+ M per year. See, also, David Price and Zack Greinke. Price is making between $30 and $32 M and Greinke is at $34.5 M. Tanaka is making just 2/3 of that. At worst, Tanaka is going to leverage that opt out into an extension. Not sure if he'll get to 5, 6, or 7 years, but if the Yankees manage to get to the WS either tonight or tomorrow night, the timeline may not give him a choice. The deadline for the opt out for CC in 2011 was November 1. WS game 7 is scheduled for November 1. There won't be much time for the two sides to figure out an extension before the likely opt out deadline.

You are right, it was ace $$. He's at $22 million a year right now. If I'm another team I would be super hesitant to go above that due to his injury history, lack of durability, and inconsistency. I think Tanaka would be foolish to opt out. On the extension angle, I would be super hesitant if I was the Yanks as well. I still feel like that arm is not going to hold up and (up until his last 3-4 starts) was not anywhere worth the risk and $$.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
oh no the dreaded back to back, belly to belly post, but I will post regardless.

In your opinion, what was the biggest surprise this season?
For me, Severino. I did not see that coming. Then again, thank you Pedro M for your mentorship. But wow, the ace of the staff, and legitimate lights out starter? Did not expect that to occur.
Well that and being a game away from the World Series. I will admit predicting they would miss the play-offs completely. Now it just seems absolutely to be a no-brainer of where they are, should have seen it coming.

The biggest surprise of the season is Judge fighting through that slump he had and it not mentally destroying him as a rookie.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
With the dirth of SP free agents available (Darvish, Arrieta, Lynn) I still would not extend Tanaka. He was mediocre this season.

Perhaps the Yanks will reel in Otani. And sign CC to one or two years.

Severino
Otani
Gray
CC
Adams/Montgomery

EDIT: I don't see Adams or Montgomery being traded.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The biggest surprise of the season is Judge fighting through that slump he had and it not mentally destroying him as a rookie.
Sevy = biggest surprise.

I had Judge pegged as .240 25 jacks and 80 ribbies.

Reaction Score
With the dirth of SP free agents available (Darvish, Arrieta, Lynn) I still would not extend Tanaka. He was mediocre this season.

Perhaps the Yanks will reel in Otani. And sign CC to one or two years.

Severino
Otani
Gray
CC
Montgomery/Adams

Or trade Montgomery/Adams + at winter meetings for a good SP.

I would definitely want to hold onto Adams over Montgomery.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Altuve...in Houston...is killing us. Just killing us.

Reaction Score
Altuve...in Houston...is killing us. Just killing us.
Yankees basically win every game at home and lose every game on the road. I hope someone at the game tomorrow dresses up as Yankee stadium.

Reaction Score
Ugh Verlander was nasty but that was a winnable game even down 3-0. Im confident in CC tomorrow but the lineup needs to show up and show up early, you can bet the Astros will use Mccullers and Keuchel out of the pen.

Reaction Score
Great season and the future is so bright, you gotta wear shades. Otani has to be the priority, though the Yankees have no control over whatever he decides. I mean, most storied franchise in MLB history, young team just starting the ascension towards their peak, opening at SP and DH ? What more could you ask for ? I think they have to be all in continuing what they have and keep building for the future. That means keeping CC, extending Tanaka if necessary, and re-signing Frazier. The future doesn't include guys like CC or Frazier, but rather Torres, Andujar, Adams, and Clint Frazier, but this team is still young enough that they'd still benefit from having guys like CC and Frazier around. Now, Ellsbury is another story....

Reaction Score
What I feared was gonna happen happened CC would show up and the lineup wouldn't put any runs up on the board. Its not so much what the Yankees didnt do its about what the Astros did. Thats why I say you never let it go to game a game 7 if you have a series lead I dont care who is on the mound for your team, the Yankees needed to seal the deal in game 6, it is what it is.

Reaction Score
Great season and the future is so bright, you gotta wear shades. Otani has to be the priority, though the Yankees have no control over whatever he decides. I mean, most storied franchise in MLB history, young team just starting the ascension towards their peak, opening at SP and DH ? What more could you ask for ? I think they have to be all in continuing what they have and keep building for the future. That means keeping CC, extending Tanaka if necessary, and re-signing Frazier. The future doesn't include guys like CC or Frazier, but rather Torres, Andujar, Adams, and Clint Frazier, but this team is still young enough that they'd still benefit from having guys like CC and Frazier around. Now, Ellsbury is another story....

Yeah well stated. Need some experience sprinkled in no doubt but depends on the asking price. Also if Castro wants to be a power hitting, all pull hitter and refuses to hit the ball to RF and be a good hitter he needs to go. He did nothing to impact them in the playoffs and was very disappointing. In the first half of the season he sprayed to all fields, had an all star start at .320/13/40 but when he came back had a different approach which worsened as the season and playoffs went on. Ellsbury showed signs of the guy they signed for a month or so end of the year, but also was disappointing on the playoffs. Obviously if they can rid themselves of that contract then do so. Hicks is fine, but he needs to be somewhere between that hot start this year and the old guy at least. To be honest, yet another guy who didn't look good end of the year and playoffs (minus a big homer I know) and tried to pull everything but should be using all the fields. Switch hitter is huge though and he can play the field and throw as well, probably stays. Gardy is staying I am sure. Had his moments but ultimately same guy. Tough out, has his 2 separate months he's hotter than hell but end results a .260 hitter who is fast but doesn't steal enough bases. Not good in the Houston series at all but everyone loves his grit and he's a long timer so they will stay pat here.

Still gaps needed to be filled should be interesting.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'll give a little different take starting at the top. Cashman is now without a contract as is Girardi. Both contract expired at the end of the season - last night. I think its safe to say Cashman comes back. Girardi is another story. Neither side, at this point, is commiting to anything.

Yankees need starting pitching first and foremost. And starting pitching that can consistantly throw 7+ innings for each start. I don't see CC coming back - not at 37. Tanaka an extension - maybe - but no more than 2 or 3 years. There have been arm problems and they are still there. Betances may very well be traded. Not a good year for him and he was invisible for the playoffs. Still a tremendous talent. Great bullpen but overworked all year. That is on the manager!

I'd bring back to ToddFather. Very good at third, some decent pop. Very good club house influence for the young Bombers. Have to give Clint Frazier some serious PT. Holliday is gone. We're stuck with Ellsbury. No team is going to take him unless the Yanks eat most of his contract. Gardy has one more year, I think, on his contract. Castro is a mystery. He's good for around 20 homers a year but he needs to hit to all fields. Hicks stays but needs consistency. He did very little in the playoffs.

Keep the young talent coming.

Reaction Score
You didn't ask for my opinion, but I'll give it...

1. I'd definitely want Cash and Girardi back. No reason to mess around there.
  2. For the love of God, they need to work on hitting breaking balls the other way. Guys with good sliders, curves made our big hitters look foolish. I realize that we faced some guys with nasty stuff, but Sanchez, Castro, Hicks, and Judge were automatic outs in some of those games.
  3. Sanchez needs to really work on his defense. I'm not sure if it's just laziness or poor fundamentals or what. At times, he looks average or better there when you factor in the arm and blocking. And then other times he is unable to catch fastballs right down the middle. Very strange.
  4. I'm not sure if Gleybar is ready, but if he is and 2B is in future, I'd look into trading Castro. There's no doubt that Castro can hit a bit but his plate disclipine is just horrendous. As someone mentioned, for some reason he decided he was going to cheat and try to pull everything the last couple months of the season. And, his defense is mediocre at best. If Torres can play 2B, I give him the job and sign Frazier to a 1 or 2 year deal and see if you get somethign worthwhile by flipping Castro. 2019, Manny Machado becomes your 3B. Maybe a pipe dream, but...
  5. Otani... He has a weird contract situation where he is capped $$$ wise but I'd imagine there would have to be talk of a big extension down the road. I believe he's more starter than DH, but he certainly brings an interesting skillset to the table.
  6. I'd sign CC to a reasonable one year deal. He's still a gamer and he brings more to the table than a typical player.
  7. I would have tried to trade Betances last year, actually. The guy, when right, is great. But he's an implosion waiting to happen whenever he takes the mound. I see his value at an all-time low right now so trying to move him would be a mistake.
All in all, it was a great year that far exceeded my expectations. I really hope they stay the course and do not drop $100 million on Jake Arrieta or something asinine. The talent is here; just needs additional experience and some tweaking.

Reaction Score
I don't see them bringing Frazier back. Frazier is still young enough that he's going to command a multi-year contract. They still have Headly under contract and too many guys in the minors waiting for their turn to make a long-term commitment to Frazier. I think they'll give CC a two-year deal to stick around. I think they'll shop Ellsbury the best they can, even if it means eating a good portion of his salary. He just doesn't fit any longer. I think Cash and Girardi both deserve new contracts. This was the most fun I can remember a season being that didn't end up in a parade. Expectations for here on out will be World Series or bust.

Reaction Score
I don't see them bringing Frazier back. Frazier is still young enough that he's going to command a multi-year contract. They still have Headly under contract and too many guys in the minors waiting for their turn to make a long-term commitment to Frazier. I think they'll give CC a two-year deal to stick around. I think they'll shop Ellsbury the best they can, even if it means eating a good portion of his salary. He just doesn't fit any longer. I think Cash and Girardi both deserve new contracts. This was the most fun I can remember a season being that didn't end up in a parade. Expectations for here on out will be World Series or bust.

It all depends on what they do with Torres and Castro. If they can move Castro (and the plan is to play Gleybar at 2B), then you need a 3B and I do not think they are ready to go with Andujar just yet. I think in that scenario it makes sense to try and bring Frazier back (if he's willing) on a one or two year deal. Headley is excellent insurance with injury at either at 1B or 3B. I love Bird, but I'm not ready to say he's a 140 game player just yet. Need to have someone competent should he be Nick Johnson over there. The other thing is if Gleybar is even ready. I know they were planning to bring him up this year but that was due to Headley going into a huge slump. Torres has still very little experience at 3B and AAA.

Would love to try and move Ellsbury but that will be a tall task and involve us eating a big chunk of that $$. In a perfect world I'd like an upgrade in CF as Hicks is best suited as a 4th OF in my opinion. But I do not think there is much out there worth making a move over.

Reaction Score
Yeah well stated. Need some experience sprinkled in no doubt but depends on the asking price. Also if Castro wants to be a power hitting, all pull hitter and refuses to hit the ball to RF and be a good hitter he needs to go. He did nothing to impact them in the playoffs and was very disappointing. In the first half of the season he sprayed to all fields, had an all star start at .320/13/40 but when he came back had a different approach which worsened as the season and playoffs went on. Ellsbury showed signs of the guy they signed for a month or so end of the year, but also was disappointing on the playoffs. Obviously if they can rid themselves of that contract then do so. Hicks is fine, but he needs to be somewhere between that hot start this year and the old guy at least. To be honest, yet another guy who didn't look good end of the year and playoffs (minus a big homer I know) and tried to pull everything but should be using all the fields. Switch hitter is huge though and he can play the field and throw as well, probably stays. Gardy is staying I am sure. Had his moments but ultimately same guy. Tough out, has his 2 separate months he's hotter than hell but end results a .260 hitter who is fast but doesn't steal enough bases. Not good in the Houston series at all but everyone loves his grit and he's a long timer so they will stay pat here.

Still gaps needed to be filled should be interesting.
Luckily some of those problems are going to sort themselves out. 2B is the most likely destination for Gleyber Torres if he comes back from his UCL surgery, and there's no reason to expect he won't. If Hicks stumbles again, Clint Frazier is waiting to take his spot, and even if that doesn't work out, Billy McKinney is rediscovering the success that made him a 1st round pick. He had a great year in AAA and he was 5 years younger than the average player in AAA.

Definitely need some veteran presence sprinkled in. Gardner is one, CC is another, the bullpen is another, I'd even be in favor of keeping Todd Frazier around.

Betances isn't going anywhere. Trying to trade him now is the very definition of "sell low". Torres has the higher ceiling and higher floor, but Andujar's progress is right there with Torres. He was excellent in AAA 5 years younger than average. No reason to think he won't be ready by mid year. Problem with Torres is, you can't move anybody in the offseason because he's still recovering from injury and you won't have any performance to go on until it's too late if he isn't ready. Castro could be moved at the deadline if Torres is ready.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom