2017 UConn Spring Practice Updates | Page 13 | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Spring Practice Updates

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Step one is admitting the problem. RE is on the case with the OL. If there is anything there he will get it out of them. Not much else we can do but recruit better at that position.

Strangely, I feel better about that assessment that if he said they were ready to go or whatever weirdness Disco would have sent our way.

Reaction Score
Yikes. Not a very promising assessment on the O line. I assume it has to do with either the lack of quickness and/or ability to execute proper technique. It can't be coaching. Sounds like we need some new guys in there, which is going to take time. Queue up the QBs best able to scramble and consistently make plays on the run with both their legs and arm.
The last two coaching staffs were condemned to death about the o-line and now it's the players not the coaches? Could it have been the players all along and the lack of being able to recruit better caliber O-linemen? And maybe a little less on how they were being coached? I just find it hard to believe that many different O-line coaches were all wrong.

Reaction Score
The last two coaching staffs were condemned to death about the o-line and now it's the players not the coaches? Could it have been the players all along and the lack of being able to recruit better caliber O-linemen? And maybe a little less on how they were being coached? I just find it hard to believe that many different O-line coaches were all wrong.
Or, quite possibly the 2 scenarios may not have been mutually exclusive, i.e., neither the coaches/coaching nor some of the players were top shelf or mid-range quality and both enhanced coaches/coaching and recruiting may be part of a gradual improvement.

Reaction Score

Looking at the other side...How is it possible that we have recruited 30+(?) o-linemen that can't play ? The ratio & odds there are just as unlikely imo.

O Line is a position that has to play as a unit more than any other in the game. 4 guys can be doing their job at a very high level, and if 1 guy isn't, the whole play is destroyed. I say this, mostly, because i can't count the number of plays i've seen the last few seasons where we have had 5 blockers against 4 or less rushers, and 5 guys are blocking 3 and someone come in nearly untouched to the QB...and 2 OL are looking at each other like "i thought that was your guy ???".

I honestly think that ASSIGNMENT was more of a problem than TECHNIQUE the past few seasons. That's not to say it was all assignment...but too often a play was blown up because someone just didn't block the right guy, or take the right gap.

We will see i guess :confused:

Reaction Score
To add to my last post,

When the offense is going as fast as we seem to be planning, the schemes for the line will almost definitely be simplified. Less read & react, and more "that's your guy, block him". I really think this will be a major positive for this group. Less thinking, more football.

again...just my guess

Reaction Score

>>>The players admit it’s a new world under the Edsall regime, “yeah, there is definitely a different vibe around here, I feel like we’re more free,” says senior safety Brice McAllister. “The coaches are more player friendly, there with us all the time, its definitely a different vibe around the building.”

Seems to be a common theme... Good news in terms of the attrition you would normally see after a coaching change. I know it's still early, but it doesn't seem like anybody's longing for the old staff...

Reaction Score
Gavin Keefe:<< UConn football notes: Edsall praises Hernandez, Ledyard's new football coach

Tucked with:

>>UConn is making an effort to introduce its new coaching staff to the media this spring. It was director of football strength and conditioning Eric Klein's turn on Tuesday.

Klein has enjoyed his job so far. "They've done a great job," Klein said of the players. "They've been eager and hungry to take in every piece of information and everything that we do. They work hard. Sometimes they don't know what they don't know, but they're willing to learn it."

Klein had no previous relationship with Edsall before interviewing for the job but had some ties the the current administration. Both UConn athletic director David Benedict and chief operating officer Beth Goetz once worked at the University of Minnesota when Klein spent six years with the football program. "I knew it was a good situation (at UConn)," Klein said. "When the job opened, it was a good opportunity for me, so I reached out and had some people that I know reach out to coach Edsall and try and make it happen."

Back in 2002, Klein ran the strength and conditioning program for the Southern Illinois basketball team that lost to UConn in the regional semifinals in Syracuse. But Klein didn't make the trip to the NCAA tournament game.<<

Reaction Score

Or it's door #3. Lacking the ability to assess talent at the high school level and combining that with an inability to coach them up once they arrive. RE made a comment at the beginning of spring practice that was an indictment or the previous staff. He said that we have a bunch of waste benders as opposed to knee benders, that the kids needed to learn about balance. Those should be the basic skills at this level....thinking about our pass blocking over the last 3 years what RE said is clearly true.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
RE knew what he was walking into with the offensive line. That is why they recruited new OL so hard. The talent level was well below vs Version 1.0

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm digging through this thread but please tell me someone told Mike Anthony it's Wholley and not Wholly.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I still can't understand why Dicko didn't have the former players all over the place. Nothing is more big time than having the 20+ former NFL players come around.

Zach is a perfect example of RE 1.0 and how he got players to play above their level. No NFL but he surely was a very good BCS level player.

Who better to tell UConn nation that Disastro and his staff were clueless than the boys of the Edsall era? Disastro knew that day 1 and so the door was locked. Can't have anyone in there who would be able to see that he was a sham.

Reaction Score
SportzEdge: Randy Edsall says offensive line will be key to UConn’s success next season

>>During his first stop in Storrs, Edsall’s offense was built around the offensive line. This time is no different.

“If they just continue to work, and work on the fundamentals and techniques that are being taught, and get themselves in better shape…with that group, that has to be right for us to have any kind of success at all offensively.”<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom