2017 UConn Spring Practice Updates | The Boneyard

2017 UConn Spring Practice Updates

Reaction Score
Time to start a new thread for Spring Practice articles/intel:

Good read from Mike Anthony @ Courant: Randy Edsall 2.0 Gets Going As UConn Opens Spring Practice On Tuesday: Worth the click for more insight.

>>UConn will practice Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays in the weeks leading up to the Blue/White Game on April 21 at Rentschler Field. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays will be dedicated to strength and conditioning, which has been the focus for much of February and March. Per NCAA offseason rules, coaches had been allowed eight hours a week with players. UConn didn't dedicate all eight hours to conditioning until incorporating some video the week before spring break.<<

>>The Huskies will have 14 practices on campus, with the 15th being the Blue/White game. Practices will focus on implementing new systems and will also touch on styles Edsall expects his team to face in opponents.<<

>>Edsall won't bother with a depth chart this spring — players will simply be listed alphabetically in anything made public — as his exploration and analysis remain very much in the beginning stages. Players will learn systems dramatically different than those employed by Bob Diaco.<<

>>The only major change thus far is Edsall's decision to move Chris Lee, who will be a junior, from tight end to offensive tackle. UConn was particularly weak on the offensive line last season. "I told him he's going in there to be the starter, going in there to compete," Edsall said. "He's a big athlete (6 feet 7, 280 pounds), moves real well, has to put a little more weight on, but he's got the lower body strength to be able to do that. I'm just trying to find a way to get the best guys on the field. For me, it all starts up front and I want to make sure that we're solid up front, offensively as well as defensively."<<

>>Edsall has watched film from UConn's 3-9 season in 2016. "I wanted to get a feel for the personnel and what we needed [in recruiting]," he said. "As far as studying everything they did — I didn't do that because we're not going to be doing anything they did schematically on either side of the ball or special teams. I did it more from a personnel standpoint, to see if we could get guys into positions best suited for what we'll do schematically."<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, this will be interesting. Not knowing who is playing against whom is gonna make interpreting results of the blue-white game a little difficult. Not sure if blowing it all up and starting from scratch is the best approach. To wit, HCPP's first year when a lot of players had difficulty even lining up correctly. But it can't get any worse than last year, so what the heck ....

Just finding out who gets the most snaps at QB and what he does with them will be interesting though.

Reaction Score
Well, this will be interesting. Not knowing who is playing against whom is gonna make interpreting results of the blue-white game a little difficult. Not sure if blowing it all up and starting from scratch is the best approach. To wit, HCPP's first year when a lot of players had difficulty even lining up correctly. But it can't get any worse than last year, so what the heck ....

Just finding out who gets the most snaps at QB and what he does with them will be interesting though.

I think QB is going to be the least interesting thing, personally. The only QB's on the roster for the spring game are Williams, Shirreffs, and the walkons.

Reaction Score
Players will learn systems dramatically different than those employed by Bob Diaco.[/QUOTE]

Hallelujah........hallelujah........hallelujah............halleeeluuuuuujahhhhh! (Leonard Cohen)
Can I get an amen? !

Reaction Score
Players will learn systems dramatically different than those employed by Bob Diaco.

Hallelujah...hallelujah...hallelujah..halleeeluuuuuujahhhhh! (Leonard Cohen)
Can I get an amen? !
[/QUOTE]
Amen-brother-gif.gif

Reaction Score
i thought it was interesting that HCRE confirmed that Chris Lee has switched to tackle and might have a chance to start.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I have learned to take nothing from the spring game but the tailgate and the player autographs. That being said- moving Lee to OL is a great move. Iowa made a living recruiting good athletes at tight end and moving a bunch of them to the OL. The difference is they redshirted all the kids so they could beef them up and coach them up. I believe he is a junior and did not redshirt. So, if he isn't ready, maybe he can redshirt.

I still think we are going to see a few more moves away from the tight end position. I wonder if Zordan Holman moves to DE? Then we will have Allmendinger(who really is a FB), Myers, Bloom and Davis at the position.

Reaction Score

But will they be open to the media? And if so, will it be all of the shenkman practices or just a few here and there? It's been a while and I don't recall RE's openness to media at spring practices but any slight recall was that he wasn't very open. I'm just chomping to get some more headlines.

Reaction Score
I think QB is going to be the least interesting thing, personally. The only QB's on the roster for the spring game are Williams, Shirreffs, and the walkons.
Yeah, and that will be interesting.

Reaction Score
i thought it was interesting that HCRE confirmed that Chris Lee has switched to tackle and might have a chance to start.
I thought HCRE was a little more definitive: "I told him he's going in there to be the starter, going in there to compete," Edsall said.

I read this as an attempt to get more agility and quickness into the OL. If so, long overdue.

Reaction Score
Time to start a new thread for Spring Practice articles/intel:

Good read from Mike Anthony @ Courant: Randy Edsall 2.0 Gets Going As UConn Opens Spring Practice On Tuesday: Worth the click for more insight.

>>UConn will practice Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays in the weeks leading up to the Blue/White Game on April 21 at Rentschler Field. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays will be dedicated to strength and conditioning, which has been the focus for much of February and March. Per NCAA offseason rules, coaches had been allowed eight hours a week with players. UConn didn't dedicate all eight hours to conditioning until incorporating some video the week before spring break.<<

>>The Huskies will have 14 practices on campus, with the 15th being the Blue/White game. Practices will focus on implementing new systems and will also touch on styles Edsall expects his team to face in opponents.<<

>>Edsall won't bother with a depth chart this spring — players will simply be listed alphabetically in anything made public — as his exploration and analysis remain very much in the beginning stages. Players will learn systems dramatically different than those employed by Bob Diaco.<<

>>The only major change thus far is Edsall's decision to move Chris Lee, who will be a junior, from tight end to offensive tackle. UConn was particularly weak on the offensive line last season. "I told him he's going in there to be the starter, going in there to compete," Edsall said. "He's a big athlete (6 feet 7, 280 pounds), moves real well, has to put a little more weight on, but he's got the lower body strength to be able to do that. I'm just trying to find a way to get the best guys on the field. For me, it all starts up front and I want to make sure that we're solid up front, offensively as well as defensively."<<

>>Edsall has watched film from UConn's 3-9 season in 2016. "I wanted to get a feel for the personnel and what we needed [in recruiting]," he said. "As far as studying everything they did — I didn't do that because we're not going to be doing anything they did schematically on either side of the ball or special teams. I did it more from a personnel standpoint, to see if we could get guys into positions best suited for what we'll do schematically."<<

I hope after Randy watched the film, he threw it out. I don't want 2016 to be remembered....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There are at least 4 things in the article and another 4 things in the thread that made my day! Fantastic stuff here...

Reaction Score
I posted on the "death of UConn football" from the top of section 200 before halftime of that game.
Not to take away from the Maine game but I'm impressed you waited until 2016 to proclaim the "death of UConn football." Did you not see Towson or @Buffalo in 2013? ...or @USF 2014? ...or any of the three Tulane games, ect.

Nothing will make me more happy than beating Holy Cross like UConn should beat Holy Cross and I have a feeling RE2.0 can manage that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom