2017 Recruiting: Chris Efretuei (7'1'' C) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting: Chris Efretuei (7'1'' C)

Reaction Score
Can he be any worse than Briamah.
This narrative is so unbelievably tired. He made one of the biggest plays in UConn history, won conference defensive player of the year, and was considered to be one of the best shot blockers in the country throughout his college career. There are going to be plenty of future UConn players that have much worse careers than him.

Reaction Score
Another big raw African kid that's a fluid runner but perhaps a bit clumsy otherwise. Can't imagine he'd be as good as Amida was as a shot blocker at least as a freshman, but has a lot to like. Seems he could end up thicker than Amida. Would be a good fit for the 2017 class, as it seems no quality grad bigs are coming

Reaction Score
This narrative is so unbelievably tired. He made one of the biggest plays in UConn history, won conference defensive player of the year, and was considered to be one of the best shot blockers in the country throughout his college career. There are going to be plenty of future UConn players that have much worse careers than him.
True to an extent. Brimah was nothing short of a disappointment his last 2 seasons. So tho he may have accomplished some good things in his career we'd better hope and pray we have bigs better than Brimah in the future because je wasnt all that good. Lovable, hard worker ABSOLUTELY. Great? No...

Reaction Score
Another big raw African kid that's a fluid runner but perhaps a bit clumsy otherwise. Can't imagine he'd be as good as Amida was as a shot blocker at least as a freshman, but has a lot to like. Seems he could end up thicker than Amida. Would be a good fit for the 2017 class, as it seems no quality grad bigs are coming
He already has a better post game than amida. And better rebounding instincts. This is not hyperbole either. Amida may have been the worst big man in the post in basketball history.....he was that bad. It was borderline embarrassing

Reaction Score
He already has a better post game than amida. And better rebounding instincts. This is not hyperbole either. Amida may have been the worst big man in the post in basketball history.....he was that bad. It was borderline embarrassing
In the video he's also playing against some pretty bad competition, can't really tell if his post game is better, especially because he barely did any also.

Reaction Score
In the video he's also playing against some pretty bad competition, can't really tell if his post game is better, especially because he barely did any also.
Very true. Tho its hard to be worse

Reaction Score
True to an extent. Brimah was nothing short of a disappointment his last 2 seasons. So tho he may have accomplished some good things in his career we'd better hope and pray we have bigs better than Brimah in the future because je wasnt all that good. Lovable, hard worker ABSOLUTELY. Great? No...

Yeah, there's a difference between having made some great/important plays, and being a great player. Love Brimah for what he did, but he's not quite the prototype we want to model our center recruits after, even when talking about rim protectors.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
In the video from Park, he was a sophomore and didn't get many minutes, despite being 7'0 in an area with no 7 footers.

That probably happened for a variety of reasons, but the highlights from that season are often in garbage time.

Reaction Score
Even if Efretuei could qualify for 2017, he'd have to redshirt, so he's effectively 2018 either way. Are we willing to give him a scholarship this early before our 2018 class starts to take shape?

Unless the staff sees something that I don't in him, or desperately needs another player for practices, this one is a bit of a head scratcher.

Reaction Score
Even if Efretuei could qualify for 2017, he'd have to redshirt, so he's effectively 2018 either way. Are we willing to give him a scholarship this early before our 2018 class starts to take shape?

Unless the staff sees something that I don't in him, or desperately needs another player for practices, this one is a bit of a head scratcher.
What makes you think he'd have to redshirt?

Reaction Score

Don't see that at all. I mean I didn't either with AB but it never materialized as it should have, either improvement or backing up a better player. But this kid seems to have it up on AB and has a year left to mature.

Reaction Score

What don't you like about him? He's a 7'1" kid with some athleticism.

Reaction Score
What makes you think he'd have to redshirt?
Don't see that at all. I mean I didn't either with AB but it never materialized as it should have, either improvement or backing up a better player. But this kid seems to have it up on AB and has a year left to mature.
If this kid could step in as a freshman and do as well as Brimah did, I would be thoroughly shocked. If the staff disagrees, by all means go for it.

I don't think he's too athletic. His feet look slow. He barely played for NY Rens and they weren't even one of the better EYBL teams. The only other good high major school who has shown interest is WVU. He seems like a major project to me though, kind of like a shorter Christ Koumadje.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Half his mixtape are plays that didn't count against sub par competition. There's something to work with, but he looks like a discount brimah right now.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Just from his mixtape I can tell at least two things. One, he seems to have better hands than Brimah ever did. And two, he's got pretty good timing and lift blocking shots.

Reaction Score
He already has a better jump hook than Amida. He hustles and is athletic, I'd take him.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
If he can play right away, we should try and bring him in. If he can't, there's really no use.

Reaction Score
Geez, half the highlights were replays of moves against poor competition. I think on 2 or 3 of the "highlights" he traveled. Definitely a project, would get eaten alive by AAC competition at this point.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Well, from what I've gathered, all his sophomore year highlights were in garbage time essentially. He never played, he was a legit 7'0 but a string bean and Nwora and Joe Jones as a sophomore plus 1 other big all played over him.

If he gained strength and a bit of refinement at the school he transferred to, that means he could indeed be a solid prospect at this point. But leaving Park was probably smart, as they have a bit of a rep for poor coaching with the bigs specifically. And as a raw sophomore and the best frontcourt in the area, they didn't have to play him.

Question: Does anyone else ever consider or hear whispers that these African kids are all older than they say when they come over? There's been some news stories randomly and I've heard some stories but who knows, I was just wondering if anyone else has ever heard that type of stuff going on. Not specific to him necessarily...

I'm going to try to talk to some more people who might know his game more intimately. Park is a team we play and I'm familiar with, I could actually get game film on him ... but again it's a year and a half ago and he never played real minutes then.

Reaction Score
You and @the Q seem to be arguing based on different feet on the ground when the dribble is caught.

In that sense, a Eurostep CAN be a travel, but it can also be legal.

Well then he's incorrect saying a eurostep is a travel. Because if you travel it's not a eurostep... it's just a travel. Dude is being ridiculous and shortsighted no matter how you slice it

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone know if there is a parallel universe where recruiting threads stay somewhat on topic? I'd like to exist there instead.

In 20 years, they never wandered this badly.

And then some jackass decided that every topic needed one thread to rule them all and the frankenthread was born.

It was an innocent mistake, but I remember who it was and I still intend on murdering him.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
In 20 years, they never wandered this badly.

And then some jackass decided that every topic needed one thread to rule them all and the frankenthread was born.

It was an innocent mistake, but I remember who it was and I still intend on murdering him.
Who was it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom