2017 Recruiting: Chris Efretuei (7'1'' C) | The Boneyard

2017 Recruiting: Chris Efretuei (7'1'' C)

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Is he 2017 or 2018? VerbalCommits says 18
His twitter bio says 2017. Looks like he reclassed sometime in the past year.

Here's a fun read w/ some links: CLICKY!

"durable and protects the rim at a high level. He also sets great screens making it easy for guards to create switches or get off uncontested shots. He also slips and rolls really well in high screen situations. Lastly he also finishes at a high level and seldom fumbles the basketball in traffic."

Looks like he has West Virginia interest as well. Not sure the VerbalCommits list is 100% up to date.

Kid ran with Rens in the AAU circuit, so he's not an unknown.

Reaction Score
Rim protection, a few nice jump hooks down the stretch....kind of reminds me of someone else's HS videos.

Raw but nice potential, depends on the bball IQ I'd say.

Reaction Score
He seems to have extremely slow feet. But I won't complain considering the circumstances.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
Rim protection, a few nice jump hooks down the stretch....kind of reminds me of someone else's HS videos.

Raw but nice potential, depends on the bball IQ I'd say.
I do not care at all about his post moves or ability to score from the block. Can he:

1) protect the rim?
2) rebound on the defensive glass?
3) finish lobs?
4) Understand pick & roll hedging schemes?
5) Hit 60% of his FTs?

Literally all I care about in a big man. If the answer is "yes" to 3 of those, good enough for me!

As for BB IQ... he at least knows to keep the ball in bounds when he blocks a shot. ;)

He seems to have extremely slow feet. But I won't complain considering the circumstances.
If he had faster feet at his size he'd already have committed to an ACC school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I haven't looked or asked, but Upstate Scout @upstatescout on twitter would be a guy to ask about him. He knows plenty of guys in Upstate NY.

Reaction Score
Weird, I expected that a 7-footer were offering now eligible for next season would be a guy who has played the game for 2 years and moved like he's dunked in molasses, but that quick clip was a much better athlete than I expected.

Even if he's horrible, GET HIM!!!! We need tall bodies

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
He played at Park in Buffalo the year before last. I coach against them but the year prior to last I didn't ... Which is why it struck me as odd that I'd never heard of him or that school. I guess he transferred, meaning he played with Nwora last year.

I can get a little scouting report on him, but I had never heard of him until now.

They have a sort of big man African pipeline right now at Park, but they all play rarely and are younger, so I'm guessing they're incredibly raw.

They have Joe Jones, who is Greg Oden's half brother (I believe?) who is solid, not spectacular, and he's about 6'9. But I never heard much about this other kid. He obviously transferred after 15-16.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I hope they go slow and really check him out. It was not long ago that Boneyarders were complaining about taking project bigs and this one could be with us for four years. He looks like he has potential as a rim protector and he was not getting knocked around, so that's good. Looked very raw offensively.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't want him for a couple of reasons. First his name does nothing for me. Second anyone with less than 5 minutes of highlights dot dot dot.

JK! Kid really fills a need. Hope the coaches reel him in if they think he can help next season.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
I don't want him for a couple of reasons. First his name does nothing for me. Second anyone with less than 5 minutes of highlights dot dot dot.

JK! Kid really fills a need. Hope the coaches reel him in if they think he can help next season.
I've already talked myself into him being a better-rebounding Amida.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I hope they go slow and really check him out. It was not long ago that Boneyarders were complaining about taking project bigs and this one could be with us for four years. He looks like he has potential as a rim protector and he was not getting knocked around, so that's good. Looked very raw offensively.
It's a gamble for sure. But we need at least one more big next season otherwise it has the making of a disaster. There is literally nothing out there available next season and Going with only Carlton and Cobb is extremely risky. If he brings nothing to the team recruit over him 2018. But you are correct people will be angry getting someone raw and not believe the alternative is worse.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I've already talked myself into him being a better-rebounding Amida.
Also looks like he knows how not to stumble. I wish there was more tape or a game to observe team play. KF, SE and AB had to be guided on the court at both ends and I suspect this kid will as well.

But I love his effort around each basket and when he gets a rebound he knows how to keep the ball high something Thabeet and Amida couldn't do.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
That offer list certainly isn't much, but believe it or not it is better than Brimah's was coming out of HS.

First Love is also a prep program on the upswing, not a ton of tradition there but they did play a national schedule this year and fared pretty decently. They beat both Blair Academy in NJ and Our Savior New American on LI (alma mater of Chris Obekpa and Cheick Diallo), with longtime national power Findlay Prep being one of only two teams they lost to. A couple of their guys are going DI, including one (CG David Collins) who just came off the board to USF today, picking them over some P5 and high-major offers.

As far as last-ditch options go, I like what the staff is doing here.

Reaction Score
It's a gamble for sure. But we need at least one more big next season otherwise it has the making of a disaster. There is literally nothing out there available next season and Going with only Carlton and Cobb is extremely risky.

And if the staff sees potential we can always redshirt him if everything goes well with Cobb and Carlton.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
And if the staff sees potential we can always redshirt him if everything goes well with Cobb and Carlton.

That might actually be optimal. With Polley and Carlton coming in, Gilbert and Diarra coming off of their redshirts, and potentially Devon Daniels sitting out as a transfer, that's already five players whose eligibility clocks are set to run out in 2021. That's not even taking into consideration Mama2, the Louisiana kids from UMass (who'd be in the same boat as Daniels), or anyone else the staff brings in to play four years here. Evenly spreading scholarships out so we don't have to replace too much four years down the road is one of those "experienced coach" moves that I hope KO realizes he has to incorporate more of into how he runs the program.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I doubt they are trying to get him for any reason other than the five is really likely to be a problem next season. This kid could get more minutes than Cobb from what I saw of Cobb. Hope I'm wrong.

Matrim55

Reaction Score
The third player to pick up a D-1 offer here on day three is New York big man Chris Efretuei. The 7-foot center received an offer from St. Bonaventure, making the Bonnies his 4th D-1 offer. Efretuei displayed his always improving post game, as well as his ability to dominate the glass with his long frame, in today’s three sets of games.

LINK

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Can he rebound, not foul, and pass? Imo I don't want to handout schollies to any projects especially with the studs in '18. (How many open scholarships would we have next year with him if he committed?)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom