2017 Mets Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2017 Mets Thread

Reaction Score
So they trade Bruce for a 30th round pick who's 3-4 in single A? Okay. Then why trade him???!!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
So they trade Bruce for a 30th round pick who's 3-4 in single A? Okay. Then why trade him???!!

...because the Indians picked up his salary. For a few months. Jesus, can someone hit the wilpons with a bus?

Reaction Score
...because the Indians picked up his salary. For a few months. Jesus, can someone hit the wilpons with a bus?

So we dealt a closer (Reed) and a 4-5 hitter (Bruce) who's 4th in the NL in homers.....for basically 1 guy who's even close to being major league ready.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gotta think it's all about payroll and planning for next season. I haven't paid enough attention to know how the details work out, but I generally trust Sandy's nose based on what he's done so far.

Reaction Score
Bruce is a 2 month rental, he had virtually no value

Market for position players is poor, that's why they can't even give Grandy Candy away

Mets are a mess, pitchers are never healthy, Cespedes is hugely overpaid and only other decent OF player is Conforto, and he sucks

So we dealt a closer (Reed) and a 4-5 hitter (Bruce) who's 4th in the NL in homers.....for basically 1 guy who's even close to being major league ready.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Market for position players is poor, that's why they can't even give Grandy Candy away

Mets are a mess, pitchers are never healthy, Cespedes is hugely overpaid and only other decent OF player is Conforto, and he sucks
Based on your sports acumen, I am betting on the Mets to win it all next year.

Reaction Score
Based on your sports acumen, I am betting on the Mets to win it all next year.

If you told me what, who or where he was going to respond about it would be pretty simple to come up with a reasonably similar post as JSM. The pattern is hilarious.

Reaction Score
Yes, I forgot how good a NBA player Jeremy Lamb is and how Emeka was a great NBA player too

If you told me what, who or where he was going to respond about it would be pretty simple to come up with a reasonably similar post as JSM. The pattern is hilarious.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The Madoff Mets are on full salary dump mode. The young guns whom they banked on being studs at cheapo salary all have glass arms.
The overpaid vets like Bruce, Grandy, Walker are free agents next year. And Ain't the battery of Montero and d'Arnaud fearsome?

Alum86

Reaction Score
That was a head scratcher. I guess they needed someone to show on paper for the dump of salary

Reaction Score

I almost gave this a like, then I got to the end. Your point about Bruce having no value is spot on. There was just very little demand for position players. I agree Cespedes is overpaid from an AAV perspective, but I'd rather give him the 4/110 than something like 7/160. What really did it was saying Conforto sucks. I'm not sure what you are basing that on, but if .289/.396/.578 sucks, then I wish everyone on the team sucked as much as him.

Reaction Score

I wasn't expecting much for Bruce, but was disappointed in what Reed fetched. I made a joke that Sandy saw how much relievers get in trades, so he's hoarding them in the minors hoping he can flip them in a few years for a big haul. It's the new market inefficiency!!

Alum86

Reaction Score
Walker gone. Grandy and Cabrera will be at end of year, plus Reyes.

Meet the Mets 2018
Flores, Rosario, Smith, d'Arnaud, Conforto. Lagares, Ninmo.
Maybe Felix Milan can play 2nd.

Reaction Score
Grandy will be a guy that, as time passes, will see his impact fade with younger fans but he really has been a good all around guy and a solid Met. Sure, streaky....but all over the lineup, different spots in the outfield, great charitable contributor, good mentor. Really solid signing and teammate. Would love to see him coaching someday.

Alum86

Reaction Score
We cannot beat good teams. Hence tonight the brooms probably come out. Feeble Matz? 5 innings tops tonight.
Prediction: 4 2/3 innings, 5 ER, 3K

At least we had '15 and '16

Reaction Score
Thanks for helping Sox out.

Gosh Matz sucks. 3.1 7ER. ERA over 6.

Love seeing Cespedes suck too. He needs to play more golf and smoke more in the dugout.

We cannot beat good teams. Hence tonight the brooms probably come out. Feeble Matz? 5 innings tops tonight.
Prediction: 4 2/3 innings, 5 ER, 3K

At least we had '15 and '16

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Grandy will be a guy that, as time passes, will see his impact fade with younger fans but he really has been a good all around guy and a solid Met. Sure, streaky....but all over the lineup, different spots in the outfield, great charitable contributor, good mentor. Really solid signing and teammate. Would love to see him coaching someday.
When the Yanks got him I was ecstatic. Great teammate.

Alum86

Reaction Score
Matz was even worse than predicted.

Reaction Score
Sandy better have some really awesome master plan here. The amount of talent traded away for single A talent and cash is like nothing I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
Granderson gone. Traded to Dodgers for cash or PTBNL. Great guy, great teammate. Hoping he finally gets a ring in LA bc he deserves it.

It's like this year is a bad dream. Went from a starting rotation of Noah/DeGrom/Harvey/Wheeler/Gsellman with Blevins/Reed/Familia in the pen and a lineup consisting of Yo, Bruce, Conforto, Walker, Duda, etc to this? Thankfully Rosario and Smith are up (Smith has historically started slow every level when he moved up, so not concerned).

Even if it's not their fault for every injury, the training staff needs to be let go. If nothing else for perception wise. Too many lat pulls, quads, strains, etc. Guys putting on muscle and weight instead of flexibility, etc.

Positives are Noah will be back, Harvey is on a walk year in '18 (so whatever we get out of him we get). DeGrom is consistent (and to me the real ace). Matz, who knows with him, Wheeler will be back as he was totally overused this year. Loved the Ramos move, Familia will be back also.

Conforto, Rosario, Smith, Yo, Flores (needs to play everyday at 2nd in my opinion). DeGrom, Noah, Matz/Wheeler (one of them will be fine). Familia, Blevins, Ramos. That's your core next year.

Almost $80 mil off the books, sign a lead off CFer, a 3b (time to have that discussion with Wright), put money into the 'pen, catcher, and sign a durable long man/spot starter type bc Montero should've been released two months ago. Flexen can even be that guy if need be.

2018 Mets lineup, as an example: Cain/Rosario/Conforto/Yo/Moustakas/Smith/Flores/catcher/Pitcher.

Rotation:
DeGrom/Noah/Harvey/Wheeler/Matz with Gsellman/Lugo (unless he has TJ, if so, Flexen) as long men-spot starters.

Pen:
FA signee, FA signee, Gsellman/Lugo or Flexen, Ramos, Blevins, Familia. The FA signees can/should be one top end guy and one guy for middle relief. If you can strengthen your 7/8/9 from Blevins/Ramos/Familia by bringing in another top closer type and pushing them all down in order, do it. Having Blevins back to strictly lefty match-ups, Ramos as 7 and Familia as 8th or 9th inning (depending who you sign) would be huge for this team.

Bench: TJ Rivera, Reynolds or Ceccini (however u spell it in minors), backup catcher (possibly TDA - but I prefer a whole new catching tandem), Nimmo as LH 4th OFer and Lagares as RH 4th OFer.

All doable, and of course if healthy, team that can challenge anyone in the NL. Maybe add a little more to the bench in terms of power, but overall realistic and should leave $ for upgrades during season like in '15 and '16.

Thoughts?

Alum86

Reaction Score
And Rene Rivera is likely gone too.
The low paid d'Arnaud whom they love for some strange reason, remains. Strange reason being cheap. It is going to be Diaco ugly for the Mets next season

Reaction Score
Depends on picther's health and whether they get anything from Harvey & Matz

They will have a bad NL lineup, but that's why it's called a NL lineup

And Rene Rivera is likely gone too.
The low paid d'Arnaud whom they love for some strange reason, remains. Strange reason being cheap. It is going to be Diaco ugly for the Mets next season

Alum86

Reaction Score
Depends on picther's health and whether they get anything from Harvey & Matz

They will have a bad NL lineup, but that's why it's called a NL lineup
Is that the AFL CIO lady as your avatar? Pelletier.
LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom