2017 Gold Cup | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2017 Gold Cup

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
When your opponents are Panama (5th or 6th best in Concacaf), Martinique, and Nicaragua you shouldn't worry about winning. The squad underperformed. This is when you break in new players into formal competitions. As the GC immediately before the WC, there is no other reason other than finding players to fill the bottom of the roster and get your WC squad playing together.

Arena is doing both. The guys he is bringing in shouldn't have made a difference against such weak competition. If the US makes the final it plays CR and Mexico, two of the final 16 in Brazil. This will be the biggest tests short of one or two friendlies that may happen against 2018 prep squads from the big powers, like Germany or Argentina.

Arena can't get his best 11 together because many are in Europe trying to win time at their clubs which will be more important than playing in the GC.

Evaluations also happen in training. Guys like Miazga are on the radar for bench positions or roster spots due to injury or loss of form from guys ahead of them. Right now Miazga isn't making the roster, but he has a year to make the case an this is his opportunity.

He is shrinking the evaluation pool, but at the same time giving some guys time to get back to their clubs. The GC was set up as two tournaments, a B/C level group stage and an A/B level knockout round. I have no issues with how Arena is playing this.

People like Pulisic don't have to worry about time at their current clubs. That has zero to do with this. This is an evaluation period for Arena still. He's just evaluating less people. Would he like to win the tourney? Sure. But that's not why he made the additions. He made them primarily to surround the evaluated players with a little more quality to see what they can do with better help...

Reaction Score
People like Pulisic don't have to worry about time at their current clubs. That has zero to do with this. This is an evaluation period for Arena still. He's just evaluating less people. Would he like to win the tourney? Sure. But that's not why he made the additions. He made them primarily to surround the evaluated players with a little more quality to see what they can do with better help...

I think it's this. He wants to see how the fringe players do with A-team teammates.

Reaction Score
I thought there were rumors that he Confed Cup was going away and this one that just happened may have been the last. Is that just a rumor or a likely scenario? If that's the case, why care about the Gold Cup except to give younger guys a chance to show they belong at a higher level on the USMNT?
I don't see how Qatar can host a Con Fed Cup since it would be unrealistic to play it in the summer in the dessert, and FIFA/UEFA is not going to allow them to disrupt league play 2 seasons in a row.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't see how Qatar can host a Con Fed Cup since it would be unrealistic to play it in the summer in the dessert, and FIFA/UEFA is not going to allow them to disrupt league play 2 seasons in a row.
So then there's no reason to play your A squad in the Gold Cup because it means nothing. I don't mind them using it as a weeding process if this is the case. There's really no benefit in winning the Gold Cup and when we're in the midst of trying to qualify for the WC, it becomes irrelevant withough a chance to make the Confederate Cup, which is also somewhat insignificant in the eyes of some countries

Reaction Score
So Wednesday in Philly it is CR v Panama and US v El Salvador.
Thursday in Glendale it is Jamaica v. Canada and Mexico v Honduras.
Has anyone watched a game Canada has played yet? Curious to see their 16 year old phenom Alphonso Davies in action. He is leading the tournament with 3 goals scored in 3 mathces. I don;t care if it;s everyone's A, B, or C teams, that is pretty impressive. Curious to see how he stands up in the knockout stages.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Pulisic has a new coach and is trying to make the starting XI. Most of the European players were excused because if preseason camps.

Put, yes that is exactly what he is doing. Seeing if this squad can win against the best of Concacaf.

Reaction Score
It's a throwaway tournament.

Pulisic's new coach was brought in specifically to coach the young roster. He plays the kids. I doubt Pulisic is at risk of losing out, in fact he is better off with Tuchel gone.

Reaction Score
Doesn't El Salvador have a huge population of immigrants on the east coast? I vaguely remember playing a Mexico-like road game against them in a Gold Cup a few years ago.

Reaction Score
Has there been any mention about why Josh Sargent wasn't given a look? Could have been a good opportunity to expose him to the Sr team in a low-pressure environment.

Reaction Score
Has there been any mention about why Josh Sargent wasn't given a look? Could have been a good opportunity to expose him to the Sr team in a low-pressure environment.

Doesn't play in MLS therefore there is no equity to protect.

Reaction Score
We have no depth on the back line. The group for this tournament is suspect at best. Our regular starting 4 need to stay really healthy thru CONCACAF.

Reaction Score
We have no depth on the back line. The group for this tournament is suspect at best. Our regular starting 4 need to stay really healthy thru CONCACAF.

Matt Hedges sucks, even in MLS. Besler should be in there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Better is in terms of commitment from the players.

It's also better in terms of fewer head scratching lineup decisions.

The back 4 last night all but played themselves out of WC consideration. That's something useful. If any of these guys are first choice you can go back to criticizing him.

Reaction Score
Who needs to be realistic when you are one of the wealthiest countries in the world?

Reaction Score
Better is in terms of commitment from the players.

It's also better in terms of fewer head scratching lineup decisions.

The back 4 last night all but played themselves out of WC consideration. That's something useful. If any of these guys are first choice you can go back to criticizing him.

You didn't think yesterday's lineup was a head scratcher?

Watching that dipsght Dozy Altidore was probably enough to make Dom Dwyer want to renounce his citizenship.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Watching that dipsght Dozy Altidore was probably enough to make Dom Dwyer want to renounce his citizenship.

JSMH

Reaction Score
Former uconn keeper Andre Blake is having a nice tourney for Jamaica.

Reaction Score

I believe FIFA has decided that the 2021 Confed Cup will be hosted in an Asian nation during the summer months, like China, where it's not 130 degrees :rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You didn't think yesterday's lineup was a head scratcher?
Other than Hedges, no, not really. What didn't you understand??

Altidore had a decent game.

Reaction Score

What game were watching? The only time he moved quick was when the other team went for the purple n

What game were you watching?

The only time Dozy Altidore moved quickly was when he was getting the purple nurple.

Reaction Score

JSMH

Mediocrity is celebrated here. Welcome.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom