2017 Gold Cup | The Boneyard

2017 Gold Cup

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lots of other good articles about this tournament at the same link. I'm curious to see how we do. Given how many sub level players Mexico is using, I think Costa Rica may be the team to beat.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
How do teams qualify for Gold Cup. Seeing some Caribbean nations in the tournament that I don't normally see. Cool to see them in it, even if they'll get crushed

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
How do teams qualify for Gold Cup. Seeing some Caribbean nations in the tournament that I don't normally see. Cool to see them in it, even if they'll get crushed
Central American teams have a tourney - Copa Centroamericana, and the Caribbean teams do the same - Caribbean Cup

USA, Mexico and Canada, automatic.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like how the winner gets into the playoff for the Confed Cup. So they are playing for something. I'm rooting for Dax. I heard him on the radio just before the Ghana game and found myself watching him off the ball often. Just a solid player, identifies and makes smart passes.

Reaction Score
I like how the winner gets into the playoff for the Confed Cup. So they are playing for something.

Agreed. It makes a biennial tournament tolerable. Used to be that the Confed Cup year (2009, 2013) meant nothing. Like when US got walloped 4-0/5-0 at Giants stadium to Mexico after sending a B team.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well that was a pretty piss poor showing by the B team against Panama. Hopefully they can step it up through the rest of the tournament.

Reaction Score
This Gold Cup roster should be our up and coming US-based U25s - not Dax/Zusi/Beasler

Reaction Score
Well that was a pretty piss poor showing by the B team against Panama. Hopefully they can step it up through the rest of the tournament.
I stopped watching after 20 minutes, then caught the highlights (both goals and a couple of Guzan saves). Pretty blah overall. I turned it off after 20 minutes and went to do stuff outside. Caught the highlights later on that night and online. For a group that are either fighting for minutes or a roster spot on the "A" team, only a couple guys helped themselves (Rowe and Dwyer stood out). Why Zusi continues to get time is beyond me.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Zusi gets time because he can play multiple positions and won't embarrass the squad if he plays 25 minutes vs top flight competition. That and we are thin at fullback.

Dwyer is gunning for Jozy's spot. He can do the stuff Jozy does and more. He needs service though so playing style will affect him.

Gonzalez is at best our 4th center back. I don't need to pretend otherwise and neither should arena. Besler looks done. Dax looks out of his depth and his poor play made the center backs look bad several times. Acosta looks like he might be good but he also made a lot of mistakes Saturday.

Rowe had a good game, but he is too slow to play wide against anyone buy concacaf minnows. I would hate to see him be Beckermann'd with too much playing time. Zardes isn't the answer either.

Villafana is making a case at LB, and Bedoya will be on the squad if he stays healthy. He's not pretty but he works, which is sometimes more important.

Corona is camp fodder at best.

There was no one else on the bench that wows me. Morris will need guys to retire or get a lot better at something to see meaning time.

Reaction Score
I've seen Dwyer play a zillion times. He has something that none of our other strikers have which is nastiness.

That being said, he is slow as molasses and struggles to keep shots on frame. Although he is good for 14-26 goals a season in MLS. Every summer some European club makes a low ball offer for him.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I've seen Dwyer play a zillion times. He has something that none of our other strikers have which is nastiness.

That being said, he is slow as molasses and struggles to keep shots on frame. Although he is good for 14-26 goals a season in MLS. Every summer some European club makes a low ball offer for him.

There is no way that Dwyer is slower than Jozy. I'm not saying that to slight Altidore. There are things that Jozy does well, but I'm pretty sure that Dwyer has him in the speed department...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

Yes, let's be clear. England had no interest in him. He is far from a finished product and not exactly a young phenom. But, I think he offers a lot more than Altidore. Wood and Dempsey are the starters right now, and I think Dwyer could win the third spot at a late sub.

Reaction Score
He's an upgrade over Wondo for sure!

Dwyer has a long way to go to convince me he's an upgrade from Jozy. But he absolutely is a good contributor and has a chance to make the roster for Russia.

Reaction Score
There is no way that Dwyer is slower than Jozy. I'm not saying that to slight Altidore. There are things that Jozy does well, but I'm pretty sure that Dwyer has him in the speed department...

I don't know. He is always one of the slowest players on the field in KC. Center Backs catch him with ease.

Dwyer is like Jozy in that what you see is what you get. I don't see much improvement from either going forward.

Reaction Score
Dwyer has a long way to go to convince me he's an upgrade from Jozy. But he absolutely is a good contributor and has a chance to make the roster for Russia.

You overrate Jozy massively then. I don't think he has been value added in years. Most overpaid player in the league and a Sunderland reject of all things. There isn't much there.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Jozy thinks he's better than he is. Those players hurt chemistry.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He just kind of sucks.
I still can't over his just jogging and pointing when he came in a late game sub recently. No spark, no hustle, no urgency. I wonder if he was sending a message. If I ain't startin', I ain't departin' (my comfort zone).

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Arena announced that there are going to be a few changes tonight. Any info out there as to which changes? I suppose this would be the time to experiment, but I'd like us to identify 2 or 3 players that can break through the main squad if possible...

Reaction Score
Arena announced that there are going to be a few changes tonight. Any info out there as to which changes? I suppose this would be the time to experiment, but I'd like us to identify 2 or 3 players that can break through the main squad if possible...

People are just guessing. But given how poorly most of them played and that they have 3 games in 8 days before heading to the knock out round, playing almost an entirely different squad wouldn't surprise me.

I would bet you see Lichaj, Hedges, Agudelo and Zardes at a minimum.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
People are just guessing. But given how poorly most of them played and that they have 3 games in 8 days before heading to the knock out round, playing almost an entirely different squad wouldn't surprise me.

I would bet you see Lichaj, Hedges, Agudelo and Zardes at a minimum.

It wasn't a guess. It was straight from the horse's mouth. Arena said in an interview on MLS.com that there were going to be multiple changes, but of course he didn't say which. I was hoping that someone had more recent info, but I suppose I'll find out in a few hours...

Reaction Score
It wasn't a guess. It was straight from the horse's mouth. Arena said in an interview on MLS.com that there were going to be multiple changes, but of course he didn't say which. I was hoping that someone had more recent info, but I suppose I'll find out in a few hours...

Yeah I read that too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom