2016 NCAA Baseball Tournament - UConn's Road to Omaha | Page 7 | The Boneyard

2016 NCAA Baseball Tournament - UConn's Road to Omaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
that is a good Ga Tech lineup....makes what Cate did through the first 6 innings all that more impressive for a true frosh. Just wish we could have gotten to their pen a little more so there would have been less drama those last couple innings

Reaction Score
Wow what a game. It is hot as anything out here. Little to close for comfort. The one thing I will say is the Husky faithful showed up in full force. Lots of fans out here today. Even one of the University employees made a comment to me about how many UCONN fans were there.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Wow what a game. It is hot as anything out here. Little to close for comfort. The one thing I will say is the Husky faithful showed up in full force. Lots of fans out here today. Even one of the University employees made a comment to me about how many UCONN fans were there.

Thanks for making the trip down and repping the BY.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Were there more UConn fans than GT fans?

Reaction Score
Had to leave when we were up 7-0. Just got back & saw the final score. Survive & advance is all you can say.

Reaction Score
For those of you who are new to following the team, let me tell you; this game was emblematic of the entire season.
  • Outstanding starting pitching.
  • Hitters showing flashes of their ability (which they definitely have), but inexplicably going cold for long stretches of time.
  • Bullpen is a huge weakness outside of Ruotolo, making every single lead anxiety-inducing.
Really glad they pulled it off though.

I would say the bullpen outside of Ruotolo in some ways is similar to the hitting. Can be very good, and can be very inconsistent. Between this inconsistency with the rest of the bullpen and the fact that Ruotolo has been so good the second half of the season, plus that Ruotolo seems to have an absolutely rubber arm, plus Penders has absolute faith in Ruotolo (and not the rest of the bullpen) means we will end up seeing a lot of Ruotolo as long as UConn remains in the tournament.

Reaction Score
For those who've followed all year, based on his pitch count is Ruotolo unavailable tomorrow? I Kay we trust.

From the way Ruotolo has been used the last few weeks, I'm guessing Ruotolo is still probably good for an inning or two tomorrow. Still, if Kay can go 8 or 9 innings of Kay like pitching tomorrow, that would be a huge help.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Of course we all wanted a comfortable win after a 7-0 lead, but that is the #20 team in the country. You gotta feel good right now- Kay is up next, albeit against the best team in the country. We've got a pitcher's chance. Now let's go Bethune-Cookman!

Reaction Score
Rough day for an onsite visit by the boss. Missed the first 6 innings minus a few quick glances @ Twitter. Was able to catch the last three innings on WHUS App driving home. Ya had to know that GT wasn't going to go down easily. Gonzales is a stud.

Onward and upward! Puk v. Kay could be a classic.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Rough day for an onsite visit by the boss. Missed the first 6 innings minus a few quick glances @ Twitter. Was able to catch the last three innings on WHUS App driving home. Ya had to know that GT wasn't going to go down easily. Gonzales is a stud.

Onward and upward! Puk v. Kay could be a classic.

Wait. What? You don't work for The Boneyard?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Tomorrow's game is at 6pm.

Sadly, AJ Puk could be the top pick in the MLB draft. He's THAT good.

Kinda cool, tho, is that Florida bats tend to sleep when he pitches. Tomorrow could be like, 1-0.

He has started 14 games and weirdly, is 2-3(?!?). A 2.88 ERA and hitters are .188 against him. He has whiffed 90 guys in 65.2 innings. He has walked 31.

Anthony Kay has started 16 games and is a most excellent 9-2. He has a 2.46 ERA and hitters are .217 against him. He has whiffed 108 guys in 113 innings. He has walked 35. He has pitched two complete games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one has said it, but despite the shrinking lead, Georgia Tech is the best team as judged by the RPI that UConn has beaten all year. Hopefully we'll be able to say that again and again during the course of this regional.

Reaction Score
UConnBaseball 9:44am via Twitter Web Client
PROGRAM ALERT: Tonight's#UConn/Florida game will be on the SEC Network if Vandy wins today at 1 p.m., ESPN3 if the Commodores fall.#HookC

CkHGD9FUUAAd82w.jpg

Reaction Score
With both aces pitching today, being the home team tonight could be huge for UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom