2013 Recruiting Thread | Page 43 | The Boneyard

2013 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Myers played LB in HS as well as TE but he will play TE @ UConn (6-5 235). Also a basketball player averaging 25 points/20 rebounds a game.

I guess we filled a big hole with these 2 studs.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think what we are hoping for is as follows in no particular order:

• Schafenacker /OG to affirm his commitment
  • Boland /OG
  • Wright or another OT
  • Laray Smith / RB to commit <--a huge get, highlights remind me a bit of Jordan Todman - but with a different frame/body type
  • Lemelle / WR <--great balance / fluid running style / excellent route running for high school / has a 5th gear after he catches the ball
  • McPhearson / RB or DB? I like his highlights too. If he is willing to start at corner, I would welcome that. If we have injuries during his time here, he could switch to RB.
  • Another safety or corner

Reaction Score
I think what we are hoping for is as follows in no particular order:

• Schafenacker /OG to affirm his commitment
  • Boland /OG
  • Wright or another OT
  • Laray Smith / RB to commit <--a huge get, highlights remind me a bit of Jordan Todman - but with a different frame/body type
  • Lemelle / WR <--great balance / fluid running style / excellent route running for high school / has a 5th gear after he catches the ball
  • McPhearson / RB or DB? I like his highlights too. If he is willing to start at corner, I would welcome that. If we have injuries during his time here, he could switch to RB.
  • Another safety or corner

Close enough on #1?

gregauman 2:44pm via Web
St. Thomas Aquinas football in Fort Lauderdale says lineman Kyle Schafenacker, who had visited USF, committed to Connecticut over weekend.

Boom-shakalacka!

Reaction Score
For months there has been a ton of negativity - great last week for recruiting. Add Laray, 2 OL, and a DT or 2 and start working on spring schedule and planning junior day!

Reaction Score
JB on rivals said that Boland was the other recruit who visited, and the coaching staff went to Fl. to talk to a guy today, from Hailea Fl. forgot the guys name Stephens I think it was. Ask medic he's good with the newspaper articles and such..

Reaction Score
Roderick Stephens is the kid from Florida. A DT.

6-3 308 2* on Rivals. Camped @ Vandy and Mississippi. Offers from the Ragin' Cajuns, Howard and West Michigan.

(listed here as 6-2 290)

Reaction Score
6-3 308 2* on Rivals. Camped @ Vandy and Mississippi. Offers from the Ragin' Cajuns, Howard and West Michigan.

(listed here as 6-2 290)

Thanks for the video Medic. Needs to be coached up on pad level and consistently firing off the ball, but he is a big body with a good motor who runs to the ball, also seemed to hold up well at the point of attack. I'd be happy with getting this kid this late in the game if that is what develops.

Reaction Score
i think i listed both of the dt's in my huge update thread that got run off the tracks. i believe 1 is better than the other but he has grade issues. if we offer this kid we will land him but it also means we missed on 1 or 2 kids and another 1 wont be going bcs. i am not happy about our recruiting at this position but i will cover that when the time comes for a 2012 class review. i blame a mix of don brown and not seeing the issues ahead of time.

We land Fuchs and Lemelle and your not happy? Outside of a couple of big, strong, quick OL hogs to go with Schafenaker what are you not happy about? L. Smith?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
We land Fuchs and Lemelle and your not happy? Outside of a couple of big, strong, quick OL hogs to go with Schafenaker what are you not happy about? L. Smith?

if laray smith picks indiana over uconn and cuse(tho he seems to be off them now), then god bless him and his track/apb dreams. i am not happy with our DT recruiting, imho there were better targets and better reaches then what we have shown at that position. i will leave it at that for now. lets see how the uptick finishes and then i will do a write up for the board.

Reaction Score
HfD,

Welcome back. Here's hoping another week of R&R will get you back here.

As for DTs, the real Q I have is whether we are recruiting for DT or NG when we look at a Stephens. I am seeing more and more hints that we may see more of a 3-4 alignment down the road.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
if laray smith picks indiana over uconn and cuse(tho he seems to be off them now), then god bless him and his track/apb dreams. i am not happy with our DT recruiting, imho there were better targets and better reaches then what we have shown at that position. i will leave it at that for now. lets see how the uptick finishes and then i will do a write up for the board.

I think you'd probably feel a little different about it if Burlingame is still on the commit list (although I know how you feel about the "why" he's not on the list)...

Reaction Score
VictorE_Bulldog 12:25am via Tweet Button
TheBulldogReport.com - JC OL Sean Rubalcava has #FresnoState No. 1 shar.es/CyaTR @SRUB_71

>>While Rubalcava didn't commit, he did put Fresno State at the top of his list.

"I am down to three and Fresno is No. 1 right now," he said. "They want me to come in and start for them at a guard position. They are returning a bunch of guys and they are set up to take the Mountain West title again."

Rubalcava is also considering Connecticut and Texas Tech.

"I took the Connecticut trip really early, that was my very first trip and it was a couple of weeks after the season," he said. "I felt really comfortable with the whole staff. "With UConn they want me to step in and start right away. They pushed the academic side and I would get a great degree. It is a good place to play ball. I got a chance to see them play against Cincinnati so I felt really comfortable with the game atmosphere."

As of now Rubalcava plans on visiting Texas Tech this weekend, unless the Fresno State coaches can convince him otherwise.

"Wednesday one of the Fresno State coaches will be coming by and meeting with my family," he said. "Depending on how that visit goes, then I would be taking my trip to Texas Tech.

"The timeframe for my decision is I think Sunday because I do have to get back to the other schools so they can do what is necessary to fill out the rest of their recruiting board."<<

Reaction Score
UConn is currently at 21 commits. Assuming that all make it through admissions (remember last year UConn lost Sylva and Cunningham on signing day due to academics) here is my breakdown and what is left on the recruiting wish list.......

UConn is set at:

WR (Bradley, Lemelle, Thomas and maybe Summers),
TE (Myers, Stalepton, Fuchs and maybe Thompson),
DE (Holines, Ormsby, Stevens and maybe Thompson).
ILB (Jasudowich and Joseph)
FB (Walsh, but would love to see him get a shot at LB)

May be set at:

S with Lucas and if Summers is pegged at S. Have Marder, Floyd and Obi as RS freshmen.
QB - Will take Boyle if he wants it, but are set with only Lagow if Boyle opts elsewhere
OT - with Hopkins and Wright, assuming that Wright got through admissions. Another OT will be grabbed should Wright not get in.
RB - Will obviously take Smith, but don't think another back is is waiting if Smith goes elsewhere

Needs

DT - Committed - Fatukasi, Potential - Stephens visiting. Holines could project to a DT in a few years.
CB - Committed - Hadley - Only had Jhavon Williams in last class, really need another CB but not sure who is left.
OLB - None in this class. Britton visiting this weekend. Talk of greyshirt, but UConn could take him in this class. Most if all LB in last class were considered ILBs. Stevens or Ormsby may have the size and speed to move to OLB.
OG/C - Committed - Schafenaker. Chased after JUCOs, but Rubalcava seems a reach now. Still need a big interior lineman.

4 or 5 spots left in the class. There are some needs and also some extras (Laray Smith and Boyle). Will be interesting to watch.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
UConn is currently at 21 commits. Assuming that all make it through admissions (remember last year UConn lost Sylva and Cunningham on signing day due to academics) here is my breakdown and what is left on the recruiting wish list.......

UConn is set at:

WR (Bradley, Lemelle, Thomas and maybe Summers),
TE (Myers, Stalepton, Fuchs and maybe Thompson),
DE (Holines, Ormsby, Stevens and maybe Thompson).
ILB (Jasudowich and Joseph)
FB (Walsh, but would love to see him get a shot at LB)

May be set at:

S with Lucas and if Summers is pegged at S. Have Marder, Floyd and Obi as RS freshmen.
QB - Will take Boyle if he wants it, but are set with only Lagow if Boyle opts elsewhere
OT - with Hopkins and Wright, assuming that Wright got through admissions. Another OT will be grabbed should Wright not get in.
RB - Will obviously take Smith, but don't think another back is is waiting if Smith goes elsewhere

Needs

DT - Committed - Fatukasi, Potential - Stephens visiting. Holines could project to a DT in a few years.
CB - Committed - Hadley - Only had Jhavon Williams in last class, really need another CB but not sure who is left.
OLB - None in this class. Britton visiting this weekend. Talk of greyshirt, but UConn could take him in this class. Most if all LB in last class were considered ILBs. Stevens or Ormsby may have the size and speed to move to OLB.
OG/C - Committed - Schafenaker. Chased after JUCOs, but Rubalcava seems a reach now. Still need a big interior lineman.

4 or 5 spots left in the class. There are some needs and also some extras (Laray Smith and Boyle). Will be interesting to watch.

WR-noel, bradley, lemelle. i would argue if there was a stud out there that can get in, then get him still(belfort...)
CB/S-hadley, summers, lucas. 1 more makes sense but i dont want to reach any more in this area as we already have....i think we will reach for 1 more slot tho fwiw..
LB-we don't need another otheriwse i will be even more upset we passed on shane n. britton is a gs offer so hes like a 2014 recruit basically. he must have the potential becuase for 2 schools to offer that type of plan is unique. he must have a snag or something tho as to why...
DT-we need 1, i am not happy about it and if we land stephens or another hs kid its not the answer. we needed a juco kid for a reason and we blew it. u want to say grades are what theya re with admissions and all that. fine. then we should have never stopped recruiting the position in the first place after landing burlingame and we should have had a few otehrs from local jucos on tap. huge fail. this position goes back to the don brown issue that most here want to ignore. folo is a project that don brown knew he could develope. we shall see who develops the kid now.
OL-land wright and i'm happy with the 3 OL we have. hes a question right now for w/e reason, hope we lock him up. then we still need a 4th i think and i would like it to be a juco who can make the 2 deep right away. i dont see any start asap offers out but i see several juco kids we offered that would def play asap. i would argue that we went hot for juco kids and then got word that wright was hot on us and we calmed down a bit only needing 1 to top off the class. i think thats what happened.
RB-i wouldn't mind moving marriner to a db slot in time, i know some here think im nuts with that. i hope to land laray and will be very upset if indiana gets him. after that i'm not interested in rbs.i want to eat cake like a fat boy in next years rb class.
TE/DE-i think were all set. i would take a flyer on phillips or joyner if we had a extra slot late tho. i think fuchs will become a wr/te. myers and thomspon will be te's. stapleton will be a toss up, heck of a ath. stevens, cole and holiness are def defense side players. all 3 are capable of shifting to lb if needed which i doubt considering depth there...
FB-walsh. i think we are all set for the next 3 years at that position
QB-try to land boyle. if we do then ry like hell to keep lagow. if we dont land boyle then theres no issue with lagow. its a good probelm to have, not a bad one. we still have interest in a couple other qbs that have been on radar all the time and i think we simply just need 2 qbs in this class. 1qb and 1 walkon qb may not cut it imho unless we keep mccuming at the position which i do not agree with.

if chasz wright is commit #22
23-OL
24-DT
25-QB or RB or TE
26-DB

if we land multiple of #25 then this is one hell of a closing...

Reaction Score
I see where ur going with the RB thoughts on your last post HfD ( great job btw )... The ship has pretty much sailed on RBs in this class... we need to flat out put on a full court press on impact RBs in '14.. We cannot fall flat on our faces again .. we should do our best to convince a 4 star RB to get up here...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I see where ur going with the RB thoughts on your last post HfD ( great job btw )... The ship has pretty much sailed on RBs in this class... we need to flat out put on a full court press on impact RBs in '14.. We cannot fall flat on our faces again .. we should do our best to convince a 4 star RB to get up here...

there is the potential that 7-10 rbs from the nyc/ne area will go bcs in 2014. i will call the police to report a crime of we dont land atleast 2 of them.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i think we may be after a db from milford. gonna have to dig a bit for info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom